The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 12 August 2023, 07:06 PM   #91
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
The 11 series will always be the first two coloured ceramic Rolex. Being the first imo in time will be looked back on as an icon of the 6 digits.
Could be, but I don't think having the provenance of "first colored ceramic bezel" is anything of importance. Who knows though.

We can skew anything to have some title of first, but first place doesn't always matter.
espanol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2023, 07:30 PM   #92
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
The Rolex and AD will try their best to continue the charade while the secondary watch market is the place where we can really see the price and demand trends.
Offering watches at MSRP and being prepared to give discounts if demand falls is a charade?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2023, 08:04 PM   #93
Podmornica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Offering watches at MSRP and being prepared to give discounts if demand falls is a charade?
No. The AD will try to to maintain the perception of scarcity as long as possible so the buyers can still have the sense of being rewarded by their call and so they can maintain the desirability of the brand. Because, once you can get something easily, you don't want it anymore. People want what they can't have. Psychology 101.

Quite a few examples here where buyers got cold feet once the AD called them sooner than expected (within a few weeks compared to a few months back in 2020) for certain references thus creating the effect that these watches are not that hard to come by anymore and that the buyers will likely lose 20% of the value of the watch as soon as they get out of the store if they decide to sell them or if they are in suddenly in need of a cash after the purchase.

Not to mention that at this point probably 50% those who are clogging the waiting lists are flippers who are interested in nothing but a quick profit. Once they realize there's no profit to be made they will move to something else.

We will likely never see the watch hype in our lifetime again as we did in 2019-2022. This is now a whole different world compared to 2020 in terms of helicopter money and lock down effect. Trend is also changing and the hype is moving to something else as with everything in history.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2023, 08:21 PM   #94
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No. The AD will try to to maintain the perception of scarcity as long as possible so the buyers can still have the sense of being rewarded by their call and so they can maintain the desirability of the brand. Because, once you can get something easily, you don't want it anymore. People want what they can't have. Psychology 101.
More like uninformed, gullible people 101. Maybe that's what psychology is.

I can't understand how walking into a shop and buying something I want is less desirable than not being able to. But I guess that's my problem to deal with!

At the moment I'm waiting for a high demand camera. The internet was on fire about it. Everybody wants one. I wish everybody would stop wanting one so that I could buy mine.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2023, 08:56 PM   #95
courboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
More like uninformed, gullible people 101. Maybe that's what psychology is.

I can't understand how walking into a shop and buying something I want is less desirable than not being able to. But I guess that's my problem to deal with!

At the moment I'm waiting for a high demand camera. The internet was on fire about it. Everybody wants one. I wish everybody would stop wanting one so that I could buy mine.
Leica Q3? Hoping to get mine soon but the dealer is saying another 6 months in reality.
courboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2023, 10:18 PM   #96
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
Pro tip - pay retail and not give a flying crap about grey prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2023, 08:44 AM   #97
Rico_Brasole
Banned

Quote:

The Rolex and AD will try their best to continue the charade while the secondary watch market is the place where we can really see the price and demand trends.
Greys are holding out as well. My grey dealer has 3 Kermit’s and can’t move them at current prices. Lowering the prices will eat into already slim margins and set a precedence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rico_Brasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2023, 11:55 AM   #98
Radbloke
"TRF" Member

126710BLNR full set, just sold $14,200.
Radbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2023, 11:58 AM   #99
Radbloke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Brasole View Post
Greys are holding out as well. My grey dealer has 3 Kermit’s and can’t move them at current prices. Lowering the prices will eat into already slim margins and set a precedence.

Holding old stock in hopes it will gain value in a falling market is not a great long-term business strategy.
Old 13 August 2023, 12:14 PM   #100
ThatOtherGuy7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radbloke View Post
126710BLNR full set, just sold $14,200.
Where? I’d like to buy one around $13.5-14K.
ThatOtherGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2023, 12:17 PM   #101
Radbloke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy7 View Post
Where? I’d like to buy one around $13.5-14K.
Moda. Have patience my friend.
Old 13 August 2023, 12:19 PM   #102
ThatOtherGuy7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Moda. Have patience my friend.
Ah, okay. I’d prefer to buy from a reputable gray once prices drop to then. Wouldn’t mind spending an extra $1,500 or so over retail + tax vs waiting for AD.
ThatOtherGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2023, 12:49 PM   #103
Rico_Brasole
Banned

BLNR Price Crash

Quote:
Holding old stock in hopes it will gain value in a falling market is not a great long-term business strategy.

I’m not sure our resident Grey Dealers are Harvard educated MBAs here. They haven’t had to actually sale a watch in about 5-6 years, the market sold it for them.

The desperation is showing in their ads. A trusted seller is using the term “unworn condition”

BLNR is from 2019. In other words, this model has been polished and possibly laser welded to reflect unworn condition.

I’m going to enjoy the downfall. It’ll be fun to watch. We can go back to having 2-3 trusted sellers and the rest will be flushed out.

Rico_Brasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2023, 05:54 AM   #104
bmwsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
A quote is not cash. Many people say DavidRW will say it’s got a scratch and smells like a bottle of Creed spilled on it so it’s worth $7-$9k after it’s already in his gold plated hands!

Classic wholesaler wear down tactic!

(And Seikos and Casios are also watches part of this hobby)
Just curious, is this a common tactic now for David? To state that it has a small scratch or imperfection and lower the price once it's in his hands, even if disclosed up front? I haven't sold/traded with David in a few years, but I know Bobs is known for doing this.
bmwsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2023, 06:00 AM   #105
bmwsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Thanks to those for posting what is really happening with the market and on MODA for those of us that aren't on Facebook much. When you look at gray prices and see them not moving, it gets frustrating when you're a watch enthusiast that wants to buy, not one that simply wants to flip. I understand all sides of the hobby and some wanting to flip and make money, others wanting a status symbol and others really enjoying watches and the history. Don't really care which category someone is in, but as someone that does want to purchase a watch that they've wanted for a while, seeing the market cool a bit is refreshing.

Will continue monitoring the 116500 market and if it drops enough in the next 6-12 months will go that direction. If gray prices remain nutty, will grab a 16570 most likely from a reputable vintage gray dealer and enjoy that for a few years. Have yet to try a 5 digit piece.
Old 15 August 2023, 12:01 PM   #106
Radbloke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsubmariner View Post
Thanks to those for posting what is really happening with the market and on MODA for those of us that aren't on Facebook much. When you look at gray prices and see them not moving, it gets frustrating when you're a watch enthusiast that wants to buy, not one that simply wants to flip. I understand all sides of the hobby and some wanting to flip and make money, others wanting a status symbol and others really enjoying watches and the history. Don't really care which category someone is in, but as someone that does want to purchase a watch that they've wanted for a while, seeing the market cool a bit is refreshing.

Will continue monitoring the 116500 market and if it drops enough in the next 6-12 months will go that direction. If gray prices remain nutty, will grab a 16570 most likely from a reputable vintage gray dealer and enjoy that for a few years. Have yet to try a 5 digit piece.
For the big greys to start moving that needle, people need to stop handing over too much money. Thankfully that seems to be starting to happen. However, as we've discussed here a few times, the firsr of the 'hot' pieces to go up will usually be the last to come down. That means daytona I'm afraid. However, with this being one the super-hype models, it will continue to go down once the 12-series start hitting the market. The hype beasts hate an old model. 11-series subs are selling under 10 now.
Old 15 August 2023, 04:21 PM   #107
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Brasole View Post
I’m not sure our resident Grey Dealers are Harvard educated MBAs here. They haven’t had to actually sale a watch in about 5-6 years, the market sold it for them.

The desperation is showing in their ads. A trusted seller is using the term “unworn condition”

BLNR is from 2019. In other words, this model has been polished and possibly laser welded to reflect unworn condition.

I’m going to enjoy the downfall. It’ll be fun to watch. We can go back to having 2-3 trusted sellers and the rest will be flushed out.

You seem to forget that there are a lot of very honest people who will never use the tactics you like us to believe.
I’ve bought many grey watches and not once it was not as described.
Old 15 August 2023, 11:49 PM   #108
bmwsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For the big greys to start moving that needle, people need to stop handing over too much money. Thankfully that seems to be starting to happen. However, as we've discussed here a few times, the firsr of the 'hot' pieces to go up will usually be the last to come down. That means daytona I'm afraid. However, with this being one the super-hype models, it will continue to go down once the 12-series start hitting the market. The hype beasts hate an old model. 11-series subs are selling under 10 now.
Appreciate the insight - I’m always expecting 116500’s to be $5-10k above retail. But the current $10-15k is where it starts getting a bit crazy for me. If in the next year they’re low to mid $20s, that’s perfect. Or, I’ll reach out to gray dealers to see where they’re at regarding pricing. Don’t like to waste dealers time, but it seems that a lot of watches are on consignment now, so people may be willing to take a couple thousand dollars less than asking price if they bought at retail.
Old 17 October 2023, 04:28 AM   #109
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone have any recent luck getting one at MSRP?
Laine V38 - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 11:49 AM   #110
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
Anyone have any recent luck getting one at MSRP?
Check out my post I just got the call from my AD on 10-6, I waited 3 yrs for one. I was so curious to see was a grey would pay so as soon as I walked out the AD, I sent them pic's and they immediately called me and only offered me $14K!!!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote