The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 2 February 2015, 04:40 PM   #1
pereiraex
"TRF" Member

Advice needed: Rolex stopping suddenly & regulation

Hi guys,

I recently got a new SubC (ref: 116610LN) and I've noticed two main issues:

1. The second hand stops suddenly when the power reserve is close to empty (say 36-48 hours after last use) - now one might reasonably think that it's simply the Rolex not having anymore power reserve to continue running, but no: if I give it a very slight shake it starts running again seemingly as per normal.

2. The watch is running 5 seconds slow on the dial up position - should I send it to regulate? I assume this is free as the watch is still under warranty?

Do let me know what you guys think especially with reference to point 1, are your submariners the same way? I'm hoping there is nothing seriously wrong with the internals and I'll probably get it down to the RSC next chance I get, but would like to hear from you first.
pereiraex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2015, 05:02 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
1) This is normal. It will stop when the PR runs out and 48 hrs is good.

Giving it a shake with no PR left will activate the escapement and start it up again for a few minutes.

2) What is the rate result when worn by you in a normal wear pattern for a month?

The rate when running dial up, presumably on a table, doesn't really tell me much about it's precision or accuracy in normal long term wearing.

Welcome to TRF.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2015, 06:05 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
+1 on the first point, as Eddie says. Newer models like the SubC don't really respond to positioning regulation like the older models/movements. If it's under warranty, yes, Rolex will regulate it free of charge. Just got my Tudor done under warranty.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2015, 10:41 PM   #4
pereiraex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
1) This is normal. It will stop when the PR runs out and 48 hrs is good.

Giving it a shake with no PR left will activate the escapement and start it up again for a few minutes.

2) What is the rate result when worn by you in a normal wear pattern for a month?

The rate when running dial up, presumably on a table, doesn't really tell me much about it's precision or accuracy in normal long term wearing.

Welcome to TRF.
1) I can confirm my sub runs for a few minutes (2mins~) upon shaking when it has almost no PR left, exactly as you said it would. So I take it this is a non-issue then?

2) I haven't actually worn it consistently for a month now. The reason why I'm just a little hesitant on taking it into the RSC is because I've heard stories of watches getting scratched and dinged when being returned from service. Is this still common?

Thanks! great community to be a part of.

Jean
pereiraex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2015, 10:53 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Yes, it's a non issue. Are you in Singapore? If so, maybe you can check with the local forums there for feedback about RSC issues.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2015, 11:08 PM   #6
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pereiraex View Post
1) I can confirm my sub runs for a few minutes (2mins~) upon shaking when it has almost no PR left, exactly as you said it would. So I take it this is a non-issue then?

2) I haven't actually worn it consistently for a month now. The reason why I'm just a little hesitant on taking it into the RSC is because I've heard stories of watches getting scratched and dinged when being returned from service. Is this still common?

Thanks! great community to be a part of.

Jean
For a few seconds off I wouldn't risk having issues.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2015, 02:12 AM   #7
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Make sure you wind the watch up 40 full turns of the winding crown. Are you doing this? Simply shaking the watch after the mainspring has unwound is not sufficient to keep it running or maintain any type of accuracy. If you do not wear it on a consistent basis maybe a watch winder would be beneficial as it keeps the mainspring fully wound.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2015, 02:47 AM   #8
PcarSBA
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Jaeger, Rolex
My Sky was running 4.6 seconds slow - averaged over many days with different wear patterns. On the timegrapher the A/D found more inconsistencies between the positions.

I had it checked and regulated at the RSC under warranty and couldn't be happier. Now ~0.5 sec fast. Perfect.
PcarSBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2015, 05:20 AM   #9
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
I don't understand the concern of a watch stopping when it's out of power reserve.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2015, 05:27 AM   #10
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Live with it. All mechanical watches gain or lose a bit. Just part of the life. Strictly my opinion.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote