The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 29 June 2021, 05:46 AM   #1
amgdriver63
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex WG 42mm YM
5960/01g

Im looking at possibly adding a 5960/01G white gold blue dial to my collection. I think it was discontinued in Feb?? Retail is like 68k I think. Chrono has 25 of them anywhere from 53-68k New and pre owned. Does anyone have knowledge or opinions for this piece as to value forecast going forward??I really like the watch but its a load of cash even at discounted levels. Thanks in advance for any opinions/observations.. Once again for me the cowhide strap eoild have to go so another 3300 added to price tinget it like I eould want it with deploy clasp. Lots of features. Nice piece
amgdriver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 09:31 AM   #2
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I don't remember that one being on the discontinued list and its still on their website: https://www.patek.com/en/collection/...s/5960-01G-001

As for value, with most complication watches of the "dress" nature, you shouldn't expect much appreciation in the near term. Long term, who knows. You should buy this on the basis if you like enough knowing or expecting to depreciate over time or at best holding value to what you already see in the grey/pre-owned market.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 12:07 PM   #3
Hub6152
Banned

I was surprised to see it still listed on the website as my local AD also said it was discontinued in 2019.

My own 5960P/001 is the from the first year of production (2006), and in the year I’ve owned it the value has certainly risen by at least 20% above what I paid for it which is reassuring rather than anything else since I don’t plan to sell it.

Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 12:13 PM   #4
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

I quite like my 5960 and wear it often. Buying new on the grey market offers pretty good value considering the complications and wearability. I think it’ll do fine in the short and long term if you buy in the low 50s, but as with anything, you never know.

vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 01:09 PM   #5
Cmmatthews
"TRF" Member

Watch: Double Red SD
Supposedly they are discontinued but that was announced pre-pandemic and perhaps Patek decided to hold off on it after all.

I bought one in 12/2019 and I paid mid 40s for it used but mint and nearly unworn condition. Interesting to see them now into the mid 50s. I think this watch may end up doing better than many dressier patek given the wearable size and general sportiness of it.
Cmmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 03:29 PM   #6
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmatthews View Post
Supposedly they are discontinued but that was announced pre-pandemic and perhaps Patek decided to hold off on it after all.

I bought one in 12/2019 and I paid mid 40s for it used but mint and nearly unworn condition. Interesting to see them now into the mid 50s. I think this watch may end up doing better than many dressier patek given the wearable size and general sportiness of it.
Everything else on the run-out list has been removed from the model lineup on the website yet the 5960 remains. That’s a bit odd.

By the way, anyone knows what the /01 in 5960/01G stands for? Different clasp compared to previous 5960 models?
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 03:46 PM   #7
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
Everything else on the run-out list has been removed from the model lineup on the website yet the 5960 remains. That’s a bit odd.

By the way, anyone knows what the /01 in 5960/01G stands for? Different clasp compared to previous 5960 models?

01 refers to the first dial variation of that specific reference AFAIK.
Old 29 June 2021, 05:28 PM   #8
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
01 refers to the first dial variation of that specific reference AFAIK.
Dial variation as in…? There’s been tons of 5960 variants before and none had /0 in the ref. Including the steel bracelet /1A ones which also had metal frames around all three calendar windows and not just the central one.

I’m assuming it might actually be about a case modification? /01G has guilloché pushers.
Old 29 June 2021, 05:30 PM   #9
Hub6152
Banned

5960/01g

Quote:
Dial variation as in…? There’s been tons of 5960 variants before and none had /0 in the ref. Including the steel bracelet /1A ones which also had metal frames around all three calendar windows and not just the central one.

I’m assuming it might actually be about a case modification? /01G has guilloché pushers.

My own is ref 5960P/001 - my understanding is that because it’s the first iteration with the Grey dial it has the 01 moniker.

The second dial version (blue) in the platinum is 5960P/015 so I’m not entirely sure how it works.
Old 29 June 2021, 05:38 PM   #10
Hub6152
Banned

Perhaps it’s a colour reference?
Old 29 June 2021, 07:02 PM   #11
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My own is ref 5960P/001 - my understanding is that because it’s the first iteration with the Grey dial it has the 01 moniker.

The second dial version (blue) in the platinum is 5960P/015 so I’m not entirely sure how it works.
No you’re mistaken. I’m saying that the case/bracelet designation is specifically 5960/01G, for a full reference of 5960/01G-001, not 5960P-001 as your platinum original version is properly denoted. For instance, there is a previous 5960G-010 Russia limited edition. No /01 before the metal designator.

Numbers before the metal letter usually means bracelet (/1X), diamonds (/300X, 200X etc) or both (eg /1200X). It’s what the /01X means that I don’t quite get.

Taken from some guide online:

xxxx/1 - a watch on a metal bracelet
xxxx/50 Thick dial. e.g enamel, gem-set or engraved
xxxx/200 Gem set case (brilliant cut)
xxxx/300 Gem-set case (baguette cut)
xxxx/400 Gem-set case (high jewellery)
xxxx/500 Engraved case
xxxx/600 Enamelled or lacquered case
xxxx/700 Case with inserts e.g. gold or gems
xxxx/900 Mixed techniques. eg diamonds and enamelling

These can be combined, so for example a watch with the reference xxxx/1350 would have a metal bracelet, a case set with baguette-cut diamonds and an engraved dial (for example).
Old 29 June 2021, 09:46 PM   #12
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
No you’re mistaken. I’m saying that the case/bracelet designation is specifically 5960/01G, for a full reference of 5960/01G-001, not 5960P-001 as your platinum original version is properly denoted. For instance, there is a previous 5960G-010 Russia limited edition. No /01 before the metal designator.

Numbers before the metal letter usually means bracelet (/1X), diamonds (/300X, 200X etc) or both (eg /1200X). It’s what the /01X means that I don’t quite get.

Taken from some guide online:

xxxx/1 - a watch on a metal bracelet
xxxx/50 Thick dial. e.g enamel, gem-set or engraved
xxxx/200 Gem set case (brilliant cut)
xxxx/300 Gem-set case (baguette cut)
xxxx/400 Gem-set case (high jewellery)
xxxx/500 Engraved case
xxxx/600 Enamelled or lacquered case
xxxx/700 Case with inserts e.g. gold or gems
xxxx/900 Mixed techniques. eg diamonds and enamelling

These can be combined, so for example a watch with the reference xxxx/1350 would have a metal bracelet, a case set with baguette-cut diamonds and an engraved dial (for example).

You’re absolutely right - my mistake. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 29 June 2021, 10:31 PM   #13
amgdriver63
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex WG 42mm YM
thanks so much for input. There was a Houdinkee article about the watcg being discontinued in Feb 2021 but its all confusing and unclear as to status. Still on the website under complications. I woild buynthe watch for some wear but its kind of an extra purchase so I am looking at this as part of an investment strategy long term. . Not buying to flip just looking for opinions from those more knowledgeable than myself. I have had 3 calatravas previously but always got bored with them in favot if sporty styles. I think I could grow to really like this one

Which metals will accept the steel bracelet?? It really looks cool imo Thanks again for comments and input
amgdriver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 10:48 PM   #14
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgdriver63 View Post
thanks so much for input. There was a Houdinkee article about the watcg being discontinued in Feb 2021 but its all confusing and unclear as to status. Still on the website under complications. I woild buynthe watch for some wear but its kind of an extra purchase so I am looking at this as part of an investment strategy long term. . Not buying to flip just looking for opinions from those more knowledgeable than myself. I have had 3 calatravas previously but always got bored with them in favot if sporty styles. I think I could grow to really like this one

Which metals will accept the steel bracelet?? It really looks cool imo Thanks again for comments and input
The Ref. 5960 is - as others have pointed - a mystery where it can move in the future. From the investment point of view you are probably better getting an Aquanaut / Nautilus or a PCC, but that is a serious investment). If you are set on the reference I would go for the SS version.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 11:30 AM   #15
okie4455
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Casio
I purchased one brand new from an ad a few months ago and love it, I purchased a navy matte crock strap and think it compliments the dial nicely. I don't think this piece will knock it out of the park in the long term but I also don't think you will lose any money if your able to get a slight discount. ultimately if you like the piece I don't think you will be disappointed.
okie4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 07:58 PM   #16
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

This magnificent watch is, in Patek terms, an absolute bargain. It's beautiful and has many complications, most of which are useful.The version you are interested in, with the blue dial and red chronograph hands is the best looking of all the 5960s produced and will eventually be recognized as such. You can't go wrong.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2021, 11:34 AM   #17
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
This magnificent watch is, in Patek terms, an absolute bargain. It's beautiful and has many complications, most of which are useful.The version you are interested in, with the blue dial and red chronograph hands is the best looking of all the 5960s produced and will eventually be recognized as such. You can't go wrong.

Sorry but I beg to differ as to it being the best looking of the 5960’s - IMO the original grey sunburst dial is much better looking, and the earlier ones with the Geneva seal, rather than the Patek seal, are likely going to be more desirable!
Old 1 July 2021, 06:43 PM   #18
JBP99p
"TRF" Member

I have the steel back dial...

and love it...and it's doing ok as an appreciating piece!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-07-01_09-31-26.jpg (137.8 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-07-01_09-42-06.jpg (140.7 KB, 230 views)
JBP99p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2021, 09:00 PM   #19
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sorry but I beg to differ as to it being the best looking of the 5960’s - IMO the original grey sunburst dial is much better looking, and the earlier ones with the Geneva seal, rather than the Patek seal, are likely going to be more desirable!
Of course, it's a matter of opinion, and since you own the grey dial I can understand that you like that one the best but, since this is something of a sports watch and the blue dial is more casual and the red hands are more legible I believe that, like the stainless version, this will ultimately get more love.
As far as the Geneva seal is concerned, this isn't Rolex where every nuance creates value as in the obsession with Mark l dials vs. Mark ll dials etc. Older versions of 5711/1a with the Geneva seal are worth less than newer versions with the Patek seal simply because they are older. If any modern Patek was going to be affected by some subtlety, it would be that.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote