The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2020, 03:46 AM   #1
llvhhui
"TRF" Member

Will opened caseback affect water resistance?

I've seen some sellers include a picture of the watch with its caseback open to show movement. I understand that is a way to verify authenticity. Will that completely zero out its water resistance? Only talking about modern ones like 5 digit reference. Only talking about daily activities, not talking about diving water and pressure resistance.
llvhhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 03:47 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Only if you leave it off.
Old 16 September 2020, 04:18 AM   #3
llvhhui
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Only if you leave it off.
So if the seller "screw" it back on, it wouldn't be a problem for activities say near the sink?
Old 16 September 2020, 04:41 AM   #4
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
If the person didn't kink or otherwise damage the seal and the caseback is screwed on properly, it should be fine. But would I take a chance like that on an expensive watch?--no way. Whenever a good watchmaker opens up a watch that's meant to be water-resistant, the work is followed up with a pressure test to ensure a good seal. So if you're considering such a watch that includes movement pics, I think it's perfectly appropriate to ask the seller to verify (ideally with a receipt of some kind) that a pressure test was performed after service/photographing. Ideally, the movement pics were taken during a recent service, but if it was just the seller him/herself unscrewing the back to take some pics and then screwing it back on (assuming the seller doesn't have the equipment/knowledge to do a pressure test), I'd move on. The watch might be just fine. But if it's not, do you want to deal with the consequences?

I do see your additional commentary re: only daily activities. Understood, but why take that chance? You're washing dishes and accidentally get more than a casual splash on it---could happen. Or you decide to re-sell the watch to someone else and their use is different and then they come back on you saying you didn't disclose an issue... Unlikely, I know, but again, why risk it when there's no shortage of watches to choose from?
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 04:47 AM   #5
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
The issues start if you have to send a watch for warranty to the RSC.

And I wouldn‘t want to have a discussion with Rolex why a third party and not an AD opened the caseback and who ultimately is responsible for the warranty issue.

For new watches removing the caseback bears a massive risk imo
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 04:51 AM   #6
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

I totally get an honest, forthcoming seller wanting to include movement pics in a listing to give potential buyers peace of mind about authenticity/originality, and with a vintage piece where water-resistance is less of an expectation or concern, it's fine. But with a modern piece (which is what you're asking about), I think it's actually less desirable to me as a buyer than a return policy that includes an inspection period where I myself can take the watch to a trusted watchmaker who can authenticate for me and can then follow that up with a proper pressure test. Just my 2 cents.
Old 16 September 2020, 04:51 AM   #7
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post

And I wouldn‘t want to have a discussion with Rolex why a third party and not an AD opened the caseback and who ultimately is responsible for the warranty issue.

Why would Rolex ask that question? If its opened and sealed correctly I dont think they can tell it was opened
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 04:54 AM   #8
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
Why would Rolex ask that question? If its opened and sealed correctly I dont think they can tell it was opened
I think what's meant here is a warranty issue from a bad seal caused by a non-AD putting the caseback on improperly..?

In other words, if it's a watch that still has warranty coverage and someone messes up the seal, RSC might void the warranty. Don't know if that's true, but I imagine it might be.
Old 16 September 2020, 05:01 AM   #9
llvhhui
"TRF" Member

The watches I've seen with caseback open weren't under warranty. Most of them are 5 digit subs or explorers between 2000-2010. Some of them are from well known sellers. That's what got me curious.
Old 16 September 2020, 05:03 AM   #10
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
If the person didn't kink or otherwise damage the seal and the caseback is screwed on properly, it should be fine. But would I take a chance like that on an expensive watch?--no way. Whenever a good watchmaker opens up a watch that's meant to be water-resistant, the work is followed up with a pressure test to ensure a good seal. So if you're considering such a watch that includes movement pics, I think it's perfectly appropriate to ask the seller to verify (ideally with a receipt of some kind) that a pressure test was performed after service/photographing. Ideally, the movement pics were taken during a recent service, but if it was just the seller him/herself unscrewing the back to take some pics and then screwing it back on (assuming the seller doesn't have the equipment/knowledge to do a pressure test), I'd move on. The watch might be just fine. But if it's not, do you want to deal with the consequences?

I do see your additional commentary re: only daily activities. Understood, but why take that chance? You're washing dishes and accidentally get more than a casual splash on it---could happen. Or you decide to re-sell the watch to someone else and their use is different and then they come back on you saying you didn't disclose an issue... Unlikely, I know, but again, why risk it when there's no shortage of watches to choose from?
Pretty much this.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 05:19 AM   #11
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
I bet you that Rolex will see it!
And if Rolex has no record having opened themselfs - good luck for your warranty claim!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 08:33 AM   #12
jackjack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller 16600
As mentioned above make sure the seller has a watchmaker who can properly seal the case. There is a small rubber casket and the case needs to be locked back on with a screw down tool to get it water tight. I’ve seen this done wrong where it slips and messes up the edges of the case back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 08:48 AM   #13
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjack View Post
As mentioned above make sure the seller has a watchmaker who can properly seal the case. There is a small rubber casket and the case needs to be locked back on with a screw down tool to get it water tight. I’ve seen this done wrong where it slips and messes up the edges of the case back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rubber caseback o ring should be lubricated with Fomblin grease as a lubricant to keep it from deforming and also to help with waterproofness. The caseback should be properly torqued to 5 Newton meters which is Rolex spec. The watch should additionally have a pressure test using the proper tester.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 10:04 AM   #14
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I never ever would buy a watch with the knowledge that "someone" removed the case back. Period.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 10:09 AM   #15
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bet you that Rolex will see it! And if Rolex has no record having opened themselfs - good luck for your warranty claim!
I replaced the caseback of my GMT with a clear one, then put the original back on to send it in for timing regulation under warranty. No issues.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 11:23 AM   #16
Chopped54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520, 116610lv,
I have opened dozens, never had an issue with water resistance or RSC service.
Old 27 January 2024, 03:55 AM   #17
Subguy88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
I have opened dozens, never had an issue with water resistance or RSC service.
How do you make sure you are tightening to the proper torque when reinstalling case back?
Subguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 04:53 AM   #18
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I too would not want to buy a Rolex still under warranty where the watch was opened by a non-Rolex certified third party. But then authentication can be hard without opening, so there really is no easy solution.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 05:24 AM   #19
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I too would not want to buy a Rolex still under warranty where the watch was opened by a non-Rolex certified third party. But then authentication can be hard without opening, so there really is no easy solution.
agree, No reason to buy a watch opened by an unqualified amateur
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 06:10 AM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post

How would they know as long as it was tightened back down with the correct tool,it's only like unscrewing a jar,it's not rocket science with the correct case back tool..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 06:17 AM   #21
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
How would they know as long as it was tightened back down with the correct tool,it's only like unscrewing a jar,it's not rocket science with the correct case back tool..
And the most important thing that many forget is that it should be screwed with the correct torque.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 06:52 AM   #22
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

It should be like closing the pickle jar, make sure it's closed nicely before you put it back in the fridge
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 07:14 AM   #23
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
It should be like closing the pickle jar, make sure it's closed nicely before you put it back in the fridge
Unfortunately not something just anyone knows how to do.
Has to be torqued.
Old 27 January 2024, 02:42 PM   #24
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llvhhui View Post
I've seen some sellers include a picture of the watch with its caseback open to show movement. I understand that is a way to verify authenticity. Will that completely zero out its water resistance? Only talking about modern ones like 5 digit reference. Only talking about daily activities, not talking about diving water and pressure resistance.
As long as the gasket is good, no problem. If the watch is old maybe a gasket change.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 03:56 PM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
They can't. And it wouldn't affect the water resistance either
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 04:03 PM   #26
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
And the most important thing that many forget is that it should be screwed with the correct torque.
Finger tight and then a 1/4 turn Jocke?

Just like a flexi water connector?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 09:34 PM   #27
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Finger tight and then a 1/4 turn Jocke?

Just like a flexi water connector?
I have the feeling but not everyone does.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote