The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 27 March 2022, 01:38 AM   #91
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

The watches look very cool to me and the price point is awesome. I think it’s a great idea for both brands and I hope to be able to buy one soon.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 01:51 AM   #92
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I’m betting my last penny that a lot of these people will list it up for sale in a week to two for 2x MSRP. This is gonna be the greatest pump and dump of the Swiss watch industry
Yes, they view it as a side hustle. Anything, that they can double their money on. Sadly, companies seem to see it as good marketing. But terrible for customers.

These swatches could have been launched at every store and online. But that wouldn't create the buzz. I was going to get one but I am tired of this nonsense. Put me off buying a real speedmaster heselite to be honest. I want a nice experience. Modern marketing seems to be the opposite.

"Treat 'em mean keep 'em keen" might sum it up.

I think I am getting too old...
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 02:02 AM   #93
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I find Omega overpriced nowadays for what they offer, most popular watches are overpriced by 2-3k USD minimum (Speedmaster, the new CK859 model, Seamaster, ...).

A speedmaster for 6-6.5k usd is a joke, it's a 4k watch. But everyone wants to ride the wave (or next one) that Rolex and others are able to ride so their prices followed.
You sound very hurt.

C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 02:05 AM   #94
IronWatch
"TRF" Member

Was in the Dallas line since middle of the night outside (#60s in line). 45 total watches so would have just missed it but all inside job as those that got all the stock formed a line inside through an ‘open’ entrance in the mall not where it was publicized to enter from. The first person in the legitimate line formed it at 10pm. Glad I’m local and didn’t invest much time. Enjoy those kickbacks, Swatch Dallas manager!
IronWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 02:19 AM   #95
11b1p
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yacht-Master
Since I blocked this time off anyway, I can report at the King of Prussia mall Swatch, there is still a small line, with the store reopening at 12:30. I also walked past Omega which has models on display, it has a nice line outside. Bucherer was busier than I have ever seen it.

I know they are sold out but I want to see if I can try on the display model to see if I will really want one when it goes online. Apparently they are taking down names. Maybe I’ll get on the waiting list haha.
11b1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 02:19 AM   #96
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
That's why Cartier outsold Omega in 2021 .
Did they? Interesting. What do you think the cause of that is? As somebody who has always been into watches since I was a kid in the 70s, getting a Cartier would never even cross my mind. To me those have always been jewelry and accessories to go with fancy brand shoes and and handbags for people who don’t really care about watches, their history, movements etc.
Omega probably speaks to a much wider audience, which I suppose can be good and band for brand marketing. I always loved Omega and always see something in their lineup that would speak to me.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 02:22 AM   #97
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
Swatch group have mismanaged their premium brands....it's appalling.
Omega should've been a true Rolex competitor - and now this.
Breguet should've been a 'trinity' brand - but largely ignored.
Blancpain - level of desirability is 'meh'
GO so far is relatively unscathed, though barely marketed. ZERO brand awareness.
Well, good thing then is that Omegas and Blancpains are available. And they remain two of my favorite brands.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 02:23 AM   #98
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oonSwatch.html
Old 27 March 2022, 02:47 AM   #99
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Embarrassingly feral behaviour. Quite the barometer for what First World society has become.
Old 27 March 2022, 03:07 AM   #100
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Embarrassingly feral behaviour. Quite the barometer for what First World society has become.
Yup. ‘Fraid so.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 03:34 AM   #101
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
Always enjoyed reading your takes on brand management....with this move do u think Omega have gone from being the luxury Rolex competitor to being an overpriced Longines/Oris/Tissot competitor?

I feel they've damaged their brand and handed a win to Rolex/Tudor without even realizing. Tudor now is positioned well above Omega.

This move will have long term consequences to Omega- it will turn off collectors for one.
I think Omega needed this FOMO frenzy to get them in line with modern trends.

My colleagues and the such know I collect watches....just the other day, I wore my Speedmaster Tintin (a WIS darling reference)...a colleague asked what I was wearing, I told them...they looked puzzled and asked "I thought you had a Rolex"? "why would you have an Omega if you have a ROLEX"?

The events of the past few days very well may stop that kind of question from coming up...

It's up to the market now. Will the hype transfer over and float ALL Omega? Maybe....time will tell.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 03:36 AM   #102
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
Yes, they view it as a side hustle. Anything, that they can double their money on. Sadly, companies seem to see it as good marketing. But terrible for customers.

These "watches " could have been launched at every store and online. But that wouldn't create the buzz. I was going to get one but I am tired of this nonsense. Put me off buying a real speedmaster heselite to be honest. I want a nice experience. Modern marketing seems to be the opposite.

"Treat 'em mean keep 'em keen" might sum it up.

I think I am getting too old...
Wait I'm not following ... are you talking about aquanauts, or submariner, or the snoopy?
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 03:40 AM   #103
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
Did they? Interesting. What do you think the cause of that is? As somebody who has always been into watches since I was a kid in the 70s, getting a Cartier would never even cross my mind. To me those have always been jewelry and accessories to go with fancy brand shoes and and handbags for people who don’t really care about watches, their history, movements etc.
Omega probably speaks to a much wider audience, which I suppose can be good and band for brand marketing. I always loved Omega and always see something in their lineup that would speak to me.
Swiss watch industry sales figures posted by a member on the general forum a while ago .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 03:41 AM   #104
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
Well, good thing then is that Omegas and Blancpains are available. And they remain two of my favorite brands.
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms .. ss/black or Ti/Blue .Had a look at them last weekend .Very nice !
Old 27 March 2022, 03:45 AM   #105
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
.. "why would you have an Omega if you have a ROLEX"?
A simple ,but important question.

..and that ,is Omega's main problem .
Old 27 March 2022, 03:47 AM   #106
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:

Noone can catch Rolex. I dont know if Omega merged with Cartier and IWC they still can do it.

So I don't think its a problem with Omega. They are not even in the same ballpark. Some like to think that they are but that's upto those people.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 03:54 AM   #107
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree with this totally.

My colleague is as general public knowledge as it gets...

He essentially asked why I would own that (Omega), if I already had a Rolex, which is the best...

I've had this with Grand Seiko as well......Why would you wear that...you have ROLEX???

I think it's difficult for WIS forum members to see how the general public looks at watch brands...we are so self absorbed that we cannot see outside of our own bubble. Anything that a watch brand can do to "influence" the general public and increase brand awareness is a MUST DO action in modern markets.
Old 27 March 2022, 03:56 AM   #108
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
Noone can catch Rolex. I dont know if Omega merged with Cartier and IWC they still can do it.

So I don't think its a problem with Omega. They are not even in the same ballpark. Some like to think that they are but that's upto those people.
I think Omega presses the moon landing too much .

As a publicity stunt,hordes lining up for look-a-like plastic quartz Moonwatch ,branded Omega AND Swatch ,with war of words ,hand bagging,fist fights ,shops needing to close,police needed to be called in .....

Sorry,today was a disaster for the Omega brand .

I dont see this rubbish happening at Patek,Rolex,Jaeger leCoultre,IWC,Panerai etc.
Old 27 March 2022, 03:58 AM   #109
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post

It's not about catching up to Rolex, it's about even being in the race at all..

People are 'fans" of race care drivers who don't win the races....but they still get sponsored and make money.

Omega just wants to get in the race...they won't win it, but more fans would NEVER hurt.
Old 27 March 2022, 03:58 AM   #110
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with this totally.

My colleague is as general public knowledge as it gets...

He essentially asked why I would own that (Omega), if I already had a Rolex, which is the best...

I've had this with Grand Seiko as well......Why would you wear that...you have ROLEX???

I think it's difficult for WIS forum members to see how the general public looks at watch brands...we are so self absorbed that we cannot see outside of our own bubble. Anything that a watch brand can do to "influence" the general public and increase brand awareness is a MUST DO action in modern markets.
Old 27 March 2022, 03:59 AM   #111
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Someone at rolex or Omega better be budding up with Elon so they can be the first watch on Mars and can milk that for another few decades haha
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 04:01 AM   #112
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
I think Omega presses the moon landing too much .

As a publicity stunt,hordes lining up for look-a-like plastic quartz Moonwatch ,branded Omega AND Swatch ,with war of words ,hand bagging,fist fights ,shops needing to close,police needed to be called in .....

Sorry,today was a disaster for the Omega brand .

I dont see this rubbish happening at Patek,Rolex,Jaeger leCoultre,IWC,Panerai etc.
It’s a more public and equal opportunity version of what getting Rolex Patek and AP is today?
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 04:02 AM   #113
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphora001 View Post
Someone at rolex or Omega better be budding up with Elon so they can be the first watch on Mars and can milk that for another few decades haha
Old 27 March 2022, 04:03 AM   #114
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post
It’s a more public and equal opportunity version of what getting Rolex Patek and AP is today?
Only if you win the fist fight .
Old 27 March 2022, 04:04 AM   #115
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
It's not about catching up to Rolex, it's about even being in the race at all..

People are 'fans" of race care drivers who don't win the races....but they still get sponsored and make money.

Omega just wants to get in the race...they won't win it, but more fans would NEVER hurt.
I agree with the premise but the price point of these might not have the desired spillover.
Old 27 March 2022, 04:05 AM   #116
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

I get it now !

Omega Moonwatch for the moon landing and the MoonSwatch for conspiracy theorists !
Old 27 March 2022, 04:06 AM   #117
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Only if you win the fist fight .
It’s more trench warfare for those brands, lol
Old 27 March 2022, 04:12 AM   #118
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Swatch Group saves the Swiss watch industry and all their premium brands with a $25 watch = Good

Swatch collabs two of their brands to attract a new market and energize old = Bad

Amazing that this event highlights who on the forum would rat out kids sneaking into 800 level seats at a baseball game when they’re already at field level. Smh.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 04:19 AM   #119
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

No Patek Tiffany ?
No Rolex Tiffany ?

Your itch will be scratched by the Uranus Tiffany !
ONLY $3000 on an ebay near you !

Old 27 March 2022, 04:28 AM   #120
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
No Patek Tiffany ?
No Rolex Tiffany ?

Your itch will be scratched by the Uranus Tiffany !
ONLY $3000 on an ebay near you !

Haha 😂