The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 22 January 2020, 01:09 AM   #1
jarohr
"TRF" Member

Wanting to Buy and Scammers

Hi Folks,

I wanted to share my experiences these past few days... I posted that I was looking for a 1999 "SWISS" dial 16570 Explorer II on the "Wanting to Buy" section of the forum. I got a lot of responses and some amazing offers. All of which were total fraudsters. One thing that I found out is that some fraudsters are making lots of posts to this forum as a way to build a history. Unless you know the seller be very careful who you trust. Some of the sellers even have fake feedback and fake references to help support their fake posts. Bottom line. If the deal is too good to be true, don't buy. Buy the seller (make double-sure they are legit) as they say...

Thanks for listening.

Jeff

Last edited by jarohr; 22 January 2020 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: Fixing a couple of typos
jarohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:18 AM   #2
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Thanks for sharing Jeff.
The internet if a scary place to make purchases also to sellers as it seems scammers operate as sellers but also as buyers.
Horror stories abandoned so yes, one should buy the seller first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarohr View Post
Hi Folks,

I wanted to share my experiences these past few days... I posted that I was looking for a 1999 "SWISS" dial 16570 Explorer II on the "Wanting to Buy" section of the forum. I got a lot of responses and some amazing offers. All of which were total fraudsters. One thing that I found out is that some fraudsters are making lots of posts to this forum as a way to build a history. Unless you know the buyer be very careful who you trust. Some of the sellers even have fake feedback and fake references to help support their fake posts. Bottom line. If the deal is too good to be true, don't buy. Buy the seller as they say...

Thanks for listening.

Jeff
Old 22 January 2020, 01:19 AM   #3
jackminny15
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changin'
Always a good reminder. So far I have made two deals through TRF, in both instances using trusted sellers. It's the only way I will be able to sleep at night. =)
jackminny15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:24 AM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
As long as there are desperate people on one side of the deal, there will always be scammers.

Desperate to buy hyped watches, desperate to sell to make money . . .

People click on links and respond to anyone that contacts them no matter how many warnings, stickies and stories are posted.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:37 AM   #5
Rori
"TRF" Member

How can new members on this forum 'like myself' know who's a trusted seller and who's not? The OP mentioned that he noticed that many sellers are buying reviews and building history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackminny15 View Post
Always a good reminder. So far I have made two deals through TRF, in both instances using trusted sellers. It's the only way I will be able to sleep at night. =)
Old 22 January 2020, 01:40 AM   #6
jarohr
"TRF" Member

Trusted Sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackminny15 View Post

How do you know someone is a trusted Seller? Do you mean like DavidSW? It would be nice if this forum had a way to designate someone as a trusted buyer and seller...

I sold the new Rolex Batman here a couple of months ago to a guy in California for more than 14K via wire transfer. The transaction went well, as I am not a scammer and he was a happy camper who got a great deal. But the person who bought it from me took a big leap of faith. Not sure I would have had the gumption to do the same if the situation was reversed... Oye.
Old 22 January 2020, 02:10 AM   #7
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
The forum doesnt want any liability issues so they wont be endorsing any trusted sellers per say. Its on the buyer to educate themselves. Go into the Whos who section. If the seller has a few thousand sales with no bad reviews I would say its a safe purchase. If they only have a few sales and recommendations from people that have not been on the forum long, not many posts, no posts of substance etc..................stay far away IMO.

Unless you want to be the next guy posting how hes been ripped off and asking on advice on how to proceed. Guard your purchase/sale the best way you can. Call, verify, pictures, Paypal or CC if able, purchase in person, too good to be true means it is! Plenty of ways to insure you get what you pay for and the scammer gets Zip! I hate dishonest people.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 05:47 AM   #8
jarohr
"TRF" Member

Excellent Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
The forum doesnt want any liability issues so they wont be endorsing any trusted sellers per say. Its on the buyer to educate themselves. Go into the Whos who section. If the seller has a few thousand sales with no bad reviews I would say its a safe purchase. If they only have a few sales and recommendations from people that have not been on the forum long, not many posts, no posts of substance etc..................stay far away IMO.

Unless you want to be the next guy posting how hes been ripped off and asking on advice on how to proceed. Guard your purchase/sale the best way you can. Call, verify, pictures, Paypal or CC if able, purchase in person, too good to be true means it is! Plenty of ways to insure you get what you pay for and the scammer gets Zip! I hate dishonest people.
Thanks Jim!
Old 23 January 2020, 11:09 AM   #9
CMSgt Bo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Go into the Whos who section. If the seller has a few thousand sales with no bad reviews I would say its a safe purchase...
...unless the account was hacked.

It happens more than you'd think: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=717973

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=719764

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=718235

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=717631

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=718469
CMSgt Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:32 AM   #10
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Are you having the same problem on WUS? For those of you that don't know CMSgt Bo is a moderator at WUS.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 02:39 AM   #11
Steve.KS4HE
"TRF" Member

I wonder if fake buyers ever approach fake sellers? I wonder how that would go?
Steve.KS4HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 03:02 AM   #12
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Are you having the same problem on WUS? For those of you that don't know CMSgt Bo is a moderator at WUS.
I believe ADMIN -
Old 13 February 2020, 03:02 AM   #13
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
You are correct and its been going on for a while now. You have to totally vet the seller/buyer by any means possible. Scams are going both ways these days.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 03:13 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I used to hate the WTB but getting the odd scam email is fun.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 04:10 AM   #15
Peemaster
Banned

Would it be too much to ask the mods for the most common scam tactics around here? Seems like scammers are putting way more effort into their schemes around here than they would anywhere else...

Edit: wait, yes i know i am a low count poster asking for scam tactics, just forget what I’ve just written...
Peemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 04:14 AM   #16
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peemaster View Post
Would it be too much to ask the mods for the most common scam tactics around here? Seems like scammers are putting way more effort into their schemes around here than they would anywhere else...

Edit: wait, yes i know i am a low count poster asking for scam tactics, just forget what I’ve just written...
We gotcha now!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 02:55 AM   #17
JCFans01
"TRF" Member

Looking for a DJ41 in Wimbley dial and was approached by a private seller registered on this forum with some references and actual pictures. Brand new unworn stickered. Selling for $6000 where these usually go above the MSRP. So I'm a bit cautious.
JCFans01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 02:56 AM   #18
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFans01 View Post
Looking for a DJ41 in Wimbley dial and was approached by a private seller registered on this forum with some references and actual pictures. Brand new unworn stickered. Selling for $6000 where these usually go above the MSRP. So I'm a bit cautious.
Who is seller?
Old 19 February 2020, 04:31 AM   #19
JCFans01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Who is seller?
Adj30

References:
Engi.
Duncanwatch

Thoughts?
Old 19 February 2020, 04:34 AM   #20
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Adj30

References:
Engi.
Duncanwatch

Thoughts?
reported to mods
Old 19 February 2020, 04:40 AM   #21
Nadi090
Banned

Watch: OysterPerpetual 39
Thanks for this post and the comments guys...
Nadi090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 05:10 AM   #22
JCFans01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
reported to mods
How are you so sure this is a scam? Just curious so I can spot them in the future myself. Account says based in London, UK but over email said he's in FL. I offered to fly down to FL to do the transaction in person and he seems to have stopped replying.
Old 19 February 2020, 05:19 AM   #23
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How are you so sure this is a scam? Just curious so I can spot them in the future myself. Account says based in London, UK but over email said he's in FL. I offered to fly down to FL to do the transaction in person and he seems to have stopped replying.
I am not
I highlited as possible scam.
They will decide
Old 19 February 2020, 05:33 AM   #24
JCFans01
"TRF" Member

I would love to get my hands on this watch at that price but seems too good to be true.
Old 19 February 2020, 07:33 AM   #25
JCFans01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would like to correct my post that the watch is in fact bought in 2018 and in like new condition. The pictures that were sent to me look fairly new with no visible marks or scratches at all--my mistake thinking they were brand new.

I stand corrected. But minutes after I posted this I got an angry email from the private seller with countless expletives.
Old 19 February 2020, 08:22 AM   #26
Abmatt2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.KS4HE View Post
I wonder if fake buyers ever approach fake sellers? I wonder how that would go?
The world will end
Abmatt2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 12:11 PM   #27
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
How can new members on this forum 'like myself' know who's a trusted seller and who's not? The OP mentioned that he noticed that many sellers are buying reviews and building history!

Rori, this is very easy: go to the classified section, begin following it consistently, note who is posting a lot of high-quality watches for sale, go to the “Who’s Who section,“ and research the various sellers. You will see that there are various sellers who are high-quality, honest, get great reviews on a consistent basis, are selling a high volume of watches, etc., etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 02:46 PM   #28
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarohr View Post
Hi Folks,

I wanted to share my experiences these past few days... I posted that I was looking for a 1999 "SWISS" dial 16570 Explorer II on the "Wanting to Buy" section of the forum. I got a lot of responses and some amazing offers. All of which were total fraudsters. One thing that I found out is that some fraudsters are making lots of posts to this forum as a way to build a history. Unless you know the seller be very careful who you trust. Some of the sellers even have fake feedback and fake references to help support their fake posts. Bottom line. If the deal is too good to be true, don't buy. Buy the seller (make double-sure they are legit) as they say...

Thanks for listening.

Jeff
I know a very reputable seller out of Virginia that has one with box papers on his website. PM me if your interested.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 19 February 2020, 02:47 PM   #29
Rori
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Rori, this is very easy: go to the classified section, begin following it consistently, note who is posting a lot of high-quality watches for sale, go to the “Who’s Who section,“ and research the various sellers. You will see that there are various sellers who are high-quality, honest, get great reviews on a consistent basis, are selling a high volume of watches, etc., etc.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 19 February 2020, 02:57 PM   #30
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Thanks for the tip.

You bet. Depending on what you’re looking for, the relevant sellers will emerge. I’ve bought great watches from HQMilton, SoHAIS, Kirill Lunaroyster, Bobs, CWeib. And there are so many more.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote