The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 January 2010, 12:56 PM   #1
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
sent my 1680 to rolex for service...

so here is what i'm worrying about and i hope some of the experts around here could put my mind at ease...

So I sent my 1680 sub in for service... i was very specific on what i wanted changed and what I didnt.. on the paper they faxed to me that I had to sign and fax back it states what they are going to service and replace... it also states the current condition of the watch.

I asked them to not change the hands on my submariner as they are yellowed perfect and match the dial.. I said it a few times to the customer service agent.. i'm hoping they put more notes in their system then what was on this paper she faxed...

my question is, if they were going to change the hands, wouldn't their be a seperate charge for them or is that included in normal service?

I hope to god the tech who is doing the work knows better not to change the hands with updated lume hands because then it would not match and it would kill me.... it states on the paper they faxed to me that the hands are starting to crack, its just 2 hair lines that can only be seen by a 10x loop...

so I will call them on monday to double confirm but lets just say for the heck of it that i get my watch back and they have replaced the hands... what do i do then? i would no longer want the watch as it would take away from the whole beauty of the watch which is what made me want it in the first place was the age and color of the dial and hands and the original form of it..

any info would really be great!
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 01:29 PM   #2
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
My experience has been that normally Rolex will quote you for exactly what they plan to do. At least thats what they do in Sydney, I guess its much the same elsewhere. I doubt that they would change the hands without having quoted you for it as it is not included in a normal service.

If there is a danger of the tritium falling out they may refuse to service the watch unless you agree to changing the hands. Either way you should know their intention beforehand.....
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I don't think they would replace the hands without asking you....it would affect the cost of service.
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Hi,
In my experience here in the UK and not the USA, as has already been said Rolex will not change your hands without charging you for them, which means they would quote for them or recommend the work on your service estimate, which you can then decline.
If the dial or hands are in an unstable (in their opinion) state and there is a possibility of flaking of the Tritium, which could cause movement issues etc... and you decline they will often decline to service the watch.
You will be fine I'm sure, if there was no mention of this and you confirmed your desire to keep the watch original.
They must be very used to us sad WIS types by now, with our odd requests to keep old stuff on our watches.
Unfortunately Rolex made a name for themselves by rebuilding watches to as new condition at service and everybody though it was marvelous for many many years, now they get asked to keep them looking beat up.

If however just for arguements sake Rolex by some very rare momentary loss of reason decided to do something for a customer for FREE you could always get a nice set of matching hands for say $300 and have them installed in to your watch and sell your newly aquired genuine Luminova set to recover some funds.
I presume you went the Rolex service route for paperwork/the mothership reason, so it would end up an expensive outing, but not terminal.
Good luck and I'm sure you will be very happy when your Sub returns with it's original hands, dial and a full RSC service.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 07:05 PM   #5
DadsSub
"TRF" Member

Hi!

I just went through this. I sent my 1984 SS Sub Date in for service (sorry don't know the serial as it was my dads) and they got back to me that they wanted to replace the dial and hands. I said no, and they refused service. They basically said that the reason that my hands were so faded was because at some point moisture had gotten in there (which I don't really believe, but maybe). So that if they didn't replace the dial it would begin to flake up and impede movement at some point...

So I gave them the greenlight to replace the hands and dial. Not super happy about it, but heck - it will last the rest of my lifetime and still has dad's name engraved on the back =)

To sum up. If they decide they need to replace something - they will contact ya first. They have two categories - Recommend and Necessary. If they recommend something you can refuse it. If they deem it necessary, they will bully you into it. If you don't agree with them, they will just send you your watch back and bill you for evaluation.
DadsSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 02:30 AM   #6
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
thanks for everyone responses!
The main reason I went the RSC route and not a private watch maker is because I have yet to meat a private watch maker who can leave 0 marks on the hands, or refinish the watch as perfect as rolex can... private watch makers always leave behind little tells on the watch that it has been opened and serviced which drives me crazy.. maybe not for some but for someone as picky as myself, it's the details that count.. So who better than rolex? plus I get paper work back with the watch ect...

i cannot wait to show everyone pictures when it returns!
I also bought a cobra strap from attila custom designs along with a rolex clasp to go on the strap and the bracelet will be going in a drawer for awhile to ovide any more wear or scratches since it will be fresh from service and on the strap the sub shall go! i cannot wait.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 03:03 AM   #7
zeemeester
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Get it in writing, don't change the dial, hands and please don't polish the case, otherwise they absolutly will. Rolex does not recognize the whole vintage-feel and brings the watch into a proper working state with luminous markers and hands....
zeemeester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 04:55 AM   #8
rfknauss

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
It has been my experience that the RSC will always send a detailed list of work to be performed with their price quote. They will not proceed until the customer gives an OK.

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 05:53 AM   #9
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Jeez.......Rolex...worse than wives...."my way or the highway"....I wish my biz was so good I could dictate policy & bully my customers!!!!!!
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote