The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 November 2006, 03:36 PM   #1
amanda
Banned

Melbourne Cup Day....

Today is the biggest horse racing day in the Country and part of the annual Spring Racing Carnival in Melbourne, we also get a public holiday in honour of the most prestigous horse race in the world!

Given I live a short stroll to the Flemington Racecourse, I thought I'd go down there and stand at a good vantage point to watch the horses go around the track! It's a damn hard race to pick the winner of, a 2 mile race with approx 22-24 horses in the field. Only a handful of horses have ever won it more than once... with the exception of the mighty mare Makybe Diva who won it 3 years in a row! She's been retired now and is happily munching on grass and probably about to produce some offspring!

So here's a few shots I took.... pretty ordinary day weather wise, not only is it overcast theres a pretty nasty cool wind blowing too..

People travel by train, boat, bus, taxi, car and even bike to get to the big race

Here's a watch shot.....

The big race is on, damn I wish I had a nice big telephoto to stick on my 350D - the grandstands are packed out for the big race

dont drink or drive or your a bloody idiot - an aussie campaign slogan oh and look at those party animals in the balcony of those apartments
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2006, 04:17 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Great pics, Amanda...thanks!!

I think the build up to the race is the best part....all that fashion, glamour and fancy duds!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2006, 04:19 PM   #3
amanda
Banned

Thanks JJ, I wish I had a few of the glam shots to throw in but didnt come across any dressy racegoers where I was.. unfortunately!

I used to live opposite the track, this time of year used to be great.... especially watching all the ladies in their frocks and hats stumble around blind drunk... quite amusing and sometimes a little sad depending on how off their faces they are!
Old 7 November 2006, 04:21 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
Thanks JJ, I wish I had a few of the glam shots to throw in but didnt come across any dressy racegoers where I was.. unfortunately!

I used to live opposite the track, this time of year used to be great.... especially watching all the ladies in their frocks and hats stumble around blind drunk... quite amusing and sometimes a little sad depending on how off their faces they are!
Yes, I know what you mean....saw a few "samples" today!! And you still call them "frocks"?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2006, 04:24 PM   #5
amanda
Banned

Here's a tighter crop of the field....

Old 7 November 2006, 06:15 PM   #6
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post

It is sadly amusing, especially when you're among them.....