The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 October 2020, 04:17 PM   #91
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Which marketing tactic by Rolex? Can you give example?
He doesn’t like Roger Federer.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 04:28 PM   #92
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Not bored at all.

If anything, it's the complete opposite for me.

Bought my first Rolex in 1987 and that was it for pretty much the next 25 years.

Since then, my interest has grown rapidly and I've acquired 8 more, roughly at the rate of one a year. All from an AD and all at MSRP.

Also acquired a Tudor, Breitling, Sinn, a couple of Omegas and a few Seikos, including the excellent Marinemaster.

Personally I think the price of some APs and Pateks are way more inflated than Rolex, so I've stayed away from those brands.

It's all good.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 06:12 PM   #93
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I just have watch fatigue in general, but it’s not the fault of Rolex or any other brand. I just kinda burned myself out by being hyper focused on watches and perfecting my collection for too many years. I’ve pared my collection way down to just the essentials, and with the arrival of the 124060 I have everything I need.

Now I just enjoy what I have and I come here mainly just for the camaraderie.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 06:17 PM   #94
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
Well I have the three that I want as stated earlier the BLNR, LVC and LNC. A friend of mine who owns a shop offered me a ceramic Daytona at grey price and I said no. He also had a WG BLRO which I also turned down. So I wouldn’t say it’s that I can’t get the watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex have brought out some great, interesting and improved versions of their watches over the last 3-4 years , I've seen little that I've been tempted to buy from other brands during this time.
Anyone can get these watches if they're willing to pay the grey prices but I'm sure your interest like many other peoples would soon return if you was able to get them at retail price
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 06:20 PM   #95
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I just have watch fatigue in general, but it’s not the fault of Rolex or any other brand. I just kinda burned myself out by being hyper focused on watches and perfecting my collection for too many years. I’ve pared my collection way down to just the essentials, and with the arrival of the 124060 I have everything I need.

I think I put myself in a similar situation. The constant bombarding my eyeballs with watch photos doesn’t help. I’m now going through a detox phase and really enjoying what I have.

I think it’s all too easy to get sucked into a phase where people just want to accumulate everything in a Pokémon style “gotta catch em all” mentality. It can’t be healthy. Especially when large amounts of people are just chasing the same collection of the usual suspects.

I too just come here now for the convo.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 06:21 PM   #96
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I moved away from a Rolex heavy collection about 3-4 years ago, obviously I'm some kind of genius psychic - except that I went mostly to PP and AP, so merely out of the frying pan.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 06:25 PM   #97
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post

Agree with that sentiment, altho as this forum is quite hardcore and involving, look at how many members have large post counts, it is inevitable that after some time the allure and originality fades a little, and now I have my core collection that has not changed in 2 years and I just add the odd piece here and there.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 06:40 PM   #98
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex tom View Post
Not bored of Rolex, bored of price hikes, waiting lists and the exponential value of vintage pieces that were once affordable.
Basically this ...

Looking at Panerai again after leaving them years ago .. and more likely to buy another Tudor... unless I get the call for the BLRO, which is highly unlikely.
Old 18 October 2020, 08:01 PM   #99
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Anyone else getting bored of the brand? Rolex has been on a hype train these past few years and I get it. They make a great SS luxury watch that quite a few people aspire to own. I think for myself, I own what I want and don’t really see myself buying another Rolex anytime soon.

Curious how many others feel the same

Sometimes I dont wear Rolex for weeks .Have JLC,Panerai and IWC
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:21 PM   #100
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Switched this year from four Rolex watches back to three + one PAM which was easy to obtain BNIB, furthermore with a nice discount (-/-25%).
My interested regarding watches still goes out to 11 serie Rolex watches, PAM's and Tudor.
I like to change/flip watches once in a while, but if I have to keep mentioned four the rest of my life, I would not complain at all.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 09:56 PM   #101
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
33 years wearing Rolex and still a HOT passion for me.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 09:57 PM   #102
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred48 View Post
Well, if the sub increased at the same rate as your house (x4), it would now be a much more reasonable $4000, not $9000, or more on the grey market.
I am terrible at math. I was trying to imagine how the cost of things had gone up since the 70s, I was driving a gmc pickup back then for work and that same pickup may have been less than 5k. I think trucks like that are now really expensive but not sure. 60k maybe? Anyway, there was a point in there somewhere
Old 18 October 2020, 09:58 PM   #103
It's Hedley
"TRF" Member

As someone who is waiting on his 1st Rolex (and one for my wife), the watch and brand are very relevant to me. The AD/grey market is very frustrating, but I have no other options, do I? My father had a Rolex and I have always wanted one, so now I wait for my Sub Date. If my Dad wore an Omega, I might be wearing an Omega today as I could buy one retail without waiting.

My wife and I will retire in two years traveling as nomads (both will be in our 50's) and we thought it would be a good time to treat ourselves to nice watches. I am glad we started now so we have our watches when we do decide to retire.

I think the Rolex brand will continue to be relevant as new emerging markets continue to increase the demand pool. Those of you who are bored with the brand are in the minority. Deal with it. Others may not care about the Rolex brand, but those that do will continue to drive demand and constrain supply.

Maybe it's time for some of you bored Rolex fans to step aside and let new, interested enthusiasts have a chance at buying a watch.
It's Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:06 PM   #104
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Hedley View Post
As someone who is waiting on his 1st Rolex (and one for my wife), the watch and brand are very relevant to me. The AD/grey market is very frustrating, but I have no other options, do I? My father had a Rolex and I have always wanted one, so now I wait for my Sub Date. If my Dad wore an Omega, I might be wearing an Omega today as I could buy one retail without waiting.

My wife and I will retire in two years traveling as nomads (both will be in our 50's) and we thought it would be a good time to treat ourselves to nice watches. I am glad we started now so we have our watches when we do decide to retire.

I think the Rolex brand will continue to be relevant as new emerging markets continue to increase the demand pool. Those of you who are bored with the brand are in the minority. Deal with it. Others may not care about the Rolex brand, but those that do will continue to drive demand and constrain supply.
Thanks to the dang COVID our traveling has screeched to a halt. One thing I learned while traveling around Europe, wearing my big beautiful JC Deep Blue may not have been the best idea. Good luck when traveling gets back to normal...
Old 18 October 2020, 10:07 PM   #105
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Slightly bored by Rolex. I love that they stay true to what they want to do. But it does get a bit dull after a while. Moreso im bored by the fact that it’s not as simple getting one.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:13 PM   #106
VincentM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116518-LV-CHNR-DJ-
If you were really bored of Rolex, I think you wouldn’t have published this 3363th post.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
VincentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:24 PM   #107
Jets_fan44
"TRF" Member

Watch: And Learn
It’s comparable like going to a buffet.

First you get excited on what dish selection you’ll be slamming down.

Then you sit down with your first plate and start wolfing it down.

By the second and third plate, you start asking yourself, this is making me sick.

And finally you walk out the door after paying, you say to yourself, man, I’m never eating that crap again.

Next week comes around and you say, man , I’m hungry for some buffet....LOL
Jets_fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:25 PM   #108
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Nothing new. Burn out happens. Diversity in a collection is a must for me as I certainly would get bored of just the Rolex design all the time. I love Rolex but I also love others like Panerai just as much.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:35 PM   #109
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I will never be bored of the hobby. I’ve been into watches since perhaps I was 5/6 years of age. Am I bored with Rolex-yes. I mean not the one I have. But I have not liked the direction in recent years of putting emphasis on wrist presence (larger cases, inflated lugs, shiny crockery as bezels, etc,) using old materials and passing it off as innovation just because they are Rolex and can.

I see through the AD games...this business about well there is so much demand,... we will put you on the list, while 5 SS models go out the back door to the gray market. I have owned Rolex for a long time, but I am a watch fan first and have just as much interest and joy in wearing my seiko arnie as I did my Rolex watches. If one only wants Rolex watches, this will become an exercise in futility. Once one tries in other brands and gets past the hype, the hype train they will realize that other brands offer more bang for the buck. The seamaster is as good as the sub, cheaper, and more antimagnetic. The navitimer, elprimero, and Speedmaster far, far more significant than the Daytona. The GS offers better finishing and better bang for the buck than the DJ. But if one does their homework there are great deals to be had in the 5 digit market and if folks realize there can be fun in the hunt (took me 14 years to get a 116520) and not always in acquiring now, there is plenty of fun to be had in this hobby.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:48 PM   #110
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Hedley View Post
Maybe it's time for some of you bored Rolex fans to step aside and let new, interested enthusiasts have a chance at buying a watch.

Heart warming story sir. Respectfully, most of us bored with the brand aren’t the ones getting in the way of you getting your watch. That would be the flippers and grey market and at the moment they are not stepping aside.
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:12 PM   #111
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Never
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:32 PM   #112
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
The bubble has definitely made it less interesting. The price 5 digits are going for are absolutely ridiculous now.

Every time I go into an AD there is not much to look at in the Rolex case. Definitely takes the fun out the hobby
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 12:23 AM   #113
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
My love for Rolex watches will always be there but since I have most of the references I have wanted, my interest in adding more is not really there eventhough my AD can get me most references. I have considered moving some of my watches to add a precious metal watch but I do find myself content so maybe that is why I am not as enthusiastic as I was in the past.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 12:23 AM   #114
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

For every one person that is bored of Rolex and has moved on, there are 5 newbies just entering. Are those 5 people in in for the hype? The long haul? We can only guess. Either way, they are affecting the current market more than the people leaving the Rolex hobby.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 12:26 AM   #115
Nkun
Banned

Watch: Don't Look Twice
I'm far from it for now!
Nkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 12:30 AM   #116
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520, LV, SD4K
As time goes on, I get older and my lifestyle gets less adventurous.... My interest has turned to more vintage time pieces.... prices are crazy plus there are a lot of bricks and mortar Watch boutiques that will generally fleece you on trade ins.... the passion has waned somewhat but I'm also blessed in the fact I managed to acquire a nice collection at a time when things were more realistic.
On a positive note, the lack of supply from Rolex has opened my eyes to other brands.
eightball76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 12:49 AM   #117
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Very well put my friend.

For the record I agree, Rolex broke Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex is booming. All the models are now selling briskly. Nothing is broke about the brand. The hyper demand has created shortages which are with us to stay for the foreseeable future.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 12:55 AM   #118
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Annoyed with the game and the prices.
So I'm looking more at Omega, Tudor and some of the smaller, less expensive, designer watch companies like Astor + Banks, particularly the 'Fortitude', which I just read about in Hodinkee.
Old 19 October 2020, 02:30 AM   #119
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
I have loved all my cars for different reasons. I'd also never buy the same car twice.

This is how I feel about watches. I want to try an Omega METAS pie pan dial, I want a GS Hi-Beat and Springdrive, I want an emaile dial Breguet. I want to try a lot of different and interesting things.

Rolex is certainly on the list of everyday watches I'd like to try for a long time. But, probably also the least interesting or exciting brand on my want list. Add to that the high premium prices and lack of purchasing options makes it pretty dull. I'm apathetic about Rolex these days. I'm excited for the releases from other brands though.

The new Snoopy and the new GS Hi-Beat LE are pretty rad.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 02:34 AM   #120
downtorock
2024 Pledge Member

Not bored with Rolex and love every piece I own. I personally have never experienced the fatigue of trying to obtain any models I’ve desired. I love the brand just as much today as the day I first put a pre-owned Air-King on my wrist 20 years ago. To each is own, but to say I’m bored with them would not be accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
downtorock is offline   Reply With Quote