The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 March 2018, 05:20 AM   #1
dowling1680
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Rolex
Vintage Service: Why is LAWW so Expensive?!

Im looking to buy an older watch and i was going to have LAWW do a buff and polish on it...... but they are so expensive!! I can almost send it to Rolex in Dallas for less money.

Someone else referred me to a few other guys that can do it for much less money.

any comments here?

Much appreciated.
dowling1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 05:23 AM   #2
G-Web
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Moon
I've used LAWW a couples times, and the results were worth every penny.
They do stellar work.

Best,
-GW
G-Web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 05:27 AM   #3
tjbender
2024 Pledge Member

Because they do the BEST work in the business. There is a reason they’re trusted by all of the big vintage dealers.
tjbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 06:21 AM   #4
Franks07
2024 Pledge Member

This! I have had them work on a couple of very intricate projects and have been stunned by the favorable outcomes. While true that they are not cheap (and the turnaround can be somewhat long)...the outcome is well worth the cost without question.

X
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Web View Post
I've used LAWW a couples times, and the results were worth every penny.
They do stellar work.

Best,
-GW
Franks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 06:44 AM   #5
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Because they are better than Rolex at case restoration by a long shot.
Old 24 March 2018, 07:20 AM   #6
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Their pricing seems very reasonable.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 07:25 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
It might seem expensive, but that's the way it is in the crazy world of vintage watches. Any of the top-notch watchmakers who deal with high-end vintage Rolexes will be pricey, including LAWW.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 01:08 AM   #8
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
LAWW have done movement servicing and case work for me on watches. They are the best at re cutting a case. There is a big difference between a case re cut and a case polish..

About the movement service, Bob Ridley does stellar work on movement overhauls and actually I believe is slightly less expensive than LAWW from my experience. His turnaround time will also be faster. However, Bob does not do case re-cuts. So it really depends on the work that you need done. If you want case work and movement work done, send it all to LAWW. If case work only, send to LAWW. If movement service only, send to Bob. Just my 2 cents.

a note to add, Bob Ridley was the LAWW of his time, but since ABC came around then LAWW after, Bob's services became more limited in the eyes of collectors that needed factory case work to be performed, which is why LAWW are the popular ones on the block this day and age. But Bob is still the best at what he does and many newer collectors/members don't know the suite of services that bob has to offer, because all you hear about is LAWW.

So in the end, see which company better suits your needs for what you want done. I can only speak about LAWW and Ridley because those are the only two I have ever used in the years of collecting vintage and have nothing bad to say about either company.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 01:11 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
LAWW have done movement servicing and case work for me on watches. They are the best at re cutting a case. There is a big difference between a case re cut and a case polish..

About the movement service, Bob Ridley does stellar work on movement overhauls and actually I believe is slightly less expensive than LAWW from my experience. His turnaround time will also be faster. However, Bob does not do case re-cuts. So it really depends on the work that you need done. If you want case work and movement work done, send it all to LAWW. If case work only, send to LAWW. If movement service only, send to Bob. Just my 2 cents.

a note to add, Bob Ridley was the LAWW of his time, but since ABC came around then LAWW after, Bob's services became more limited in the eyes of collectors that needed factory case work to be performed, which is why LAWW are the popular ones on the block this day and age. But Bob is still the best at what he does for sure.
100 percent agree with this. Case work, LAWW. Movement work, Bob Ridley. However, there are other fine watchmakers occasionally mentioned on this site who also do great movement work.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 02:00 AM   #10
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Most collectors don’t need case work. Recutting is just a great way to save a somewhat destroyed case. I would only do it if the case was poorly polished in the past. Most collectors I know would also steer clear of a watch in a recut case. The same as with a poorly polished case.
Old 25 March 2018, 03:31 AM   #11
SgWatchBaron
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref 6265 PN Panda
Nobody reshapes overpolished cases like they do...
Old 25 March 2018, 05:23 AM   #12
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Most collectors don’t need case work. Recutting is just a great way to save a somewhat destroyed case. I would only do it if the case was poorly polished in the past. Most collectors I know would also steer clear of a watch in a recut case. The same as with a poorly polished case.
This couldn’t be any further from the truth.. many many collectors don’t have a problem with a beautifully recut case from LAWW... as long as the cases are not too over polished and still have a lot of meat on em to begin with, so LAWW can perform their magic, it actually adds appeal which by default adds to the value. Most examples on the market today are polished, so collectors wouldn’t have much to collect if they “steered clear” of recut and or polished cases...

I would any day of the week rather have a recut case by LAWW than a worn improperly polished case.
Old 25 March 2018, 05:53 AM   #13
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This couldn’t be any further from the truth.. many many collectors don’t have a problem with a beautifully recut case from LAWW... as long as the cases are not too over polished and still have a lot of meat on em to begin with, so LAWW can perform their magic, it actually adds appeal which by default adds to the value. Most examples on the market today are polished, so collectors wouldn’t have much to collect if they “steered clear” of recut and or polished cases...

I would any day of the week rather have a recut case by LAWW than a worn improperly polished case.
Each to their own I guess. Many don’t like recut watches. I’m sure some do but for most references good uncut examples are around so not really any need to do this unless the watch itself means a lot to you.
Old 25 March 2018, 06:18 AM   #14
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowling1680 View Post
Im looking to buy an older watch and i was going to have LAWW do a buff and polish on it...... but they are so expensive!! I can almost send it to Rolex in Dallas for less money.

Someone else referred me to a few other guys that can do it for much less money.

any comments here?

Much appreciated.
If you need a service, contact Precision Watch or Chamosa Watch Repair - both are in Dallas. Bob Ridley is also in the metrolplex, I believe he is in Arlington

jP

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 06:23 AM   #15
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:

This is true - many collectors love properly refinished vases.

There are very minimal original cases left in decent condition, let alone unpolished condition.

And, let's call it what it is, refinished cases. Thanks.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:52 AM   #16
roh123
"TRF" Member

Here’s my opinion.

Recutting a case is good in those cases when a watch is poorly polished. Agreed. But if the watch isn’t special to you or if it is so rare that it can’t be replaced it really isn’t worth the trouble or the money to have it recut. It wont really be profitable to do so and I would personally just sell the piece and add the money I was thinking on restoring it on top of what I could sell it for when hunting for a watch that look like I want. Recutting it is really only make up to me and I always get that feeling it was laser welded when I see it. It just don’t give me that warm and fuzzy feeling I like.

Certain watches are more ok than others to polish and refinish but sport rolexes isn’t one of them. Of course most watches are polished but many still remain in their original shape. Each to their own though as this seem to be a popular service. It’s just not for me.
Old 27 March 2018, 09:51 AM   #17
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I am not that familiar with LAWW. I am familiar with Dalton Toledo, that I have been told works there.

Dalton is Certified. He has also spent some time at a high end RSC/AD doing repairs. He is also known for his talent at making a case look great

He has worked on my matt dials, 16660 Sea Dweller, GMT 16750, and my GMT 1675.

The 16750 had a slightly bent balancing wheel bar (?) and other problems. The 1675 was not running. He fixed both.

The 1675 now is running and loses a little bit more than a second a day when it is on my wrist.

To show his versatility, I had two old pocket watches that were handed down in the family. They were from the 1800's. Both of them had the balancing wheel pin that was broken. He made new pins!

He is my go to guy for watches. JMHO
Old 28 March 2018, 01:28 AM   #18
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I am not that familiar with LAWW. I am familiar with Dalton Toledo, that I have been told works there.

Dalton is Certified. He has also spent some time at a high end RSC/AD doing repairs. He is also known for his talent at making a case look great

He has worked on my matt dials, 16660 Sea Dweller, GMT 16750, and my GMT 1675.

The 16750 had a slightly bent balancing wheel bar (?) and other problems. The 1675 was not running. He fixed both.

The 1675 now is running and loses a little bit more than a second a day when it is on my wrist.

To show his versatility, I had two old pocket watches that were handed down in the family. They were from the 1800's. Both of them had the balancing wheel pin that was broken. He made new pins!

He is my go to guy for watches. JMHO
Dalton is at LAWW now that's correct. He services all the incoming watches that need a movement service. He is great at what he does but on the expensive side. He just serviced my 6538 and did a stunning job. Dalton is also a master refinisher and can mimic very close to a factory finish. However, he still does this by hand (free float style).

Beau does the case recuts, that is the difference between a refinish/polish job and a recut/retooled case..

They are a triple threat team over at LAWW. For that kind of expertise under one roof, there will always be a premium
Old 28 March 2018, 04:15 AM   #19
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
This is true - many collectors love properly refinished vases.

There are very minimal original cases left in decent condition, let alone unpolished condition.

And, let's call it what it is, refinished cases. Thanks.
Everybody has to call everything like You see it....You the new King?
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 06:10 AM   #20
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Everybody has to call everything like You see it....You the new King?
Slightly aggressive don’t you think?!?

... and refinished is the proper terminology for any case that has been polished aka refinished.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 06:31 AM   #21
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
Slightly aggressive don’t you think?!?

... and refinished is the proper terminology for any case that has been polished aka refinished.
To each their own. People are free to use any terminology they want. I myself will use the same terminology that the industry professionals use, who are performing these case recuts..
Old 28 March 2018, 06:43 AM   #22
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
LAWW??

Is this referring to LA Watchworks?

You really need to be, not seem to be.

El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 06:45 AM   #23
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Here is my opinion. It’s worth using LAWW if you’ll have any casework done simply because A) Beau is a master and B) everyone knows it and if you sell more people will be pleased the work was done there.
Old 28 March 2018, 06:46 AM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cascarrabias View Post
LAWW??

Is this referring to LA Watchworks?
Ya
Old 28 March 2018, 07:02 AM   #25
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Here is my opinion. It’s worth using LAWW if you’ll have any casework done simply because A) Beau is a master and B) everyone knows it and if you sell more people will be pleased the work was done there.
This.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 07:32 AM   #26
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To each their own. People are free to use any terminology they want. I myself will use the same terminology that the industry professionals use, who are performing these case recuts..
I agree that people can call it whatever they want, but like with many things people come up with new terminology to charge different prices for services. Before all this polished, recut, reprofiled, vintage refinish, etc. all cases were either refinished or not and the quality of the craftsman was what differentiated the difference.
Old 28 March 2018, 07:54 AM   #27
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
I agree that people can call it whatever they want, but like with many things people come up with new terminology to charge different prices for services. Before all this polished, recut, reprofiled, vintage refinish, etc. all cases were either refinished or not and the quality of the craftsman was what differentiated the difference.
Well if we talk about “before all this polished,recut,reprofiled” terminology, service providers were only offering your basic polish jobs. Years ago Rolex was the go to for a refinish job that would be as close to factory spec as you could get.. However, as time goes on, we now have newer services offered to the public by third party’s that are giving you factory results. Different terminology is used to help us differentiate between what service and or job we are speaking of.

Ps: this terminology isn’t used as a ploy to charge more for services as you suggest. You are actually getting what you pay for with LAWW’s case recut. It’s not done by hand like a typical polish job that any jewelry store does. It’s a Much different process with much different machinery used.
Old 28 March 2018, 08:07 AM   #28
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ps: this terminology isn’t used as a ploy to charge more for services as you suggest. You are actually getting what you pay for with LAWW’s case recut. It’s not done by hand like a typical polish job that any jewelry store does. It’s a Much different process with much different machinery used.
I have used LAWW’s services and I agree that you definitely get what you pay for and your points are very valid for differentiating the different services offered.
Old 28 March 2018, 08:59 AM   #29
Autavian
"TRF" Member

If the case has been a bit over polished and you can no longer see the original champhers, I love the look of the recut/ refinished case. I think they look great overall of course, unpolished to very minimally polished would be preferred, but there are less and less on the market. In that case, refinished/recut is just fine.

Email:Autaviano@gmail.com
Autavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 04:14 AM   #30
dowling1680
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Rolex
Fyi
https://www.yelp.com/user_details?us...IvhOPIn8bIE_rA
dowling1680 is offline   Reply With Quote