The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 24 March 2018, 08:56 AM   #1
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
omega dark side of the moon VS Blancpain fifty fathoms ceramic flyback chronograph

Price is not a consideration. Which do you choose? Both have in-house movements with ceramic cases and open casebacks. Here is the Blancpain.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/in...ograph-flyback
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg blancpain.jpeg (263.6 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg blancpain2.jpg (133.1 KB, 553 views)
Old 24 March 2018, 10:35 AM   #2
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Attempting to be objective, I would give a slight edge to the BP. Personally, I've always thoroughly enjoyed being a DSOTM owner. I tried on the BP model you have pictured while wearing the Omega. I found them to wear and feel very similar. I also found myself liking both. The movements and construction of each of them is very good.

It came down to aesthetics for me, which is purely subjective, and I've chosen to stay with the dark side without regret. I do not own both watches because they are so similar in look and feel.

Josh, if memory serves, I thought you had some bad luck with the xSOTM watches and had chosen to write them off collectively?
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 11:09 AM   #3
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
Attempting to be objective, I would give a slight edge to the BP. Personally, I've always thoroughly enjoyed being a DSOTM owner. I tried on the BP model you have pictured while wearing the Omega. I found them to wear and feel very similar. I also found myself liking both. The movements and construction of each of them is very good.

It came down to aesthetics for me, which is purely subjective, and I've chosen to stay with the dark side without regret. I do not own both watches because they are so similar in look and feel.

Josh, if memory serves, I thought you had some bad luck with the xSOTM watches and had chosen to write them off collectively?
Thank you for being objective. I agree slight edge to the BP. I did say that I was going to never buy a DSOTM again due to crystal defects under warranty costing 1k to fix unless you jump through a million hoops and remind them that they are supposed to replace them in good faith due their being AR coating defects. That being said, I really like the dsotm and more specifically the pitch black variant because of the amazing lume and all black theme. I found one that has just had the crystal replaced by omega so it is brand new and the price is right (about 6k usd). The crown was also replaced for free because only half of the lume lit up on the crown. Not giving me the biggest confidence in omega I still foolishly like their products when they are as advertised.

I have decided to buy both and let them duke it out. The pitch black costing 6k and the BP around 9k is a big difference but I do not think I will lose much at that pricing.
Old 24 March 2018, 05:42 PM   #4
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Nice choices! The Pitch Black was my first xSOTM. The lume is really something else and a lot of fun when it surprises you with how bright and clear it is. The leather strap on the watch is also very comfortable. I equate the sail cloth strap on the BP to a similar feel to the original DSOTM and Black Black iterations. Also, very comfortable for extended wear.

My understanding on the outside crystal AR issue is that this was a problem early on in their release cycle but has been since rectified. I completely get your frustrations with the prior purchases. I can tell you that I have not had any issues with the crystals on mine and I never baby any of my watches. I'm not reckless, but I live life and am very physically active.

Hopefully your curse with bunk outside AR coatings have finished and the Pitch Black is as flawless as you should expect it to be.

I would enjoy seeing pics of them both and hear your ownership thoughts once they've both arrived. Congratulations!
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 01:15 AM   #5
sportsmaven20
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Purely aesthetics for me as well...IMHO a chronograph without sticks does not look right to me.

Let us know which one you wear more, since you bought both!
sportsmaven20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 01:18 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve been flirting with BPFF for some time now Josh. I know we’re not talking the same watch, but nevertheless, I just can’t seem to get on board with the brand.

Have you tried them on the wrist? Something just doesn’t feel as “solid” as I would like.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 03:44 AM   #7
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
Nice choices! The Pitch Black was my first xSOTM. The lume is really something else and a lot of fun when it surprises you with how bright and clear it is. The leather strap on the watch is also very comfortable. I equate the sail cloth strap on the BP to a similar feel to the original DSOTM and Black Black iterations. Also, very comfortable for extended wear.

My understanding on the outside crystal AR issue is that this was a problem early on in their release cycle but has been since rectified. I completely get your frustrations with the prior purchases. I can tell you that I have not had any issues with the crystals on mine and I never baby any of my watches. I'm not reckless, but I live life and am very physically active.

Hopefully your curse with bunk outside AR coatings have finished and the Pitch Black is as flawless as you should expect it to be.

I would enjoy seeing pics of them both and hear your ownership thoughts once they've both arrived. Congratulations!
I will leave some thoughts and provide pics. Thanks again for your response and yes I hope the curse has ended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmaven20 View Post
Purely aesthetics for me as well...IMHO a chronograph without sticks does not look right to me.

Let us know which one you wear more, since you bought both!
Will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ve been flirting with BPFF for some time now Josh. I know we’re not talking the same watch, but nevertheless, I just can’t seem to get on board with the brand.

Have you tried them on the wrist? Something just doesn’t feel as “solid” as I would like.
I haven't tried any BP on the wrist! I should have this one next Friday or so. The BP chronos used to use the f Piguet 1185 like they use in the current AP ROC chrono and VC 49150 etc. The BP 385 is a new movement introduced in 2014 amd is supposedly a step above the 1185 which is saying something because the 1185 is amazing and feels like butter to wind and engage the chrono. The new BP movement is high beat like the el primero and looks great in the display back. It has received some good praise as a brand new in house chrono movement but has flown largely under the radar. The finishing on the movement is a step above omega and closer to AP imo. Even tho the cal. 9300 on the omega is a great movement I am a bit intrigued by this new BP movement with high beat and flyback.

I would have bought the fifty fathoms diver you are looking at in 45mm if one came up for a good deal. Something like 18k CAD list price is crazy when you can get them used for around 7 or 8 USD I think? The lume on that watch is also killer as it is all over the fat bezel numerals. I especially like the blue faced edition. Reminds me of the D blue a bit.
Old 25 March 2018, 03:50 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Nice Josh, I wish you all the best in trying the BP
Their in house movements are a thing of beauty I looked at the BP FF special edition aqua lung wit the display case back.

I agree depreciation is extremely high so either a significant discount or gray is the way to go
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:39 AM   #9
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member

Owned and sold on DSOTM as it was too hard to pair with clothes. Couldn't dress black up and I found it could only be worn with casual clothes. Have you thought about the GSOTM which I bought after selling the DS, it's a far more versatile watch.

So out of your choices I'd go the BP
chunkythebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 06:40 AM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Congrats.

As much as I love the dsotm, I prefer the BP.

I’m also thinking it’s a much more functional go anywhere do anything watch.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 06:45 AM   #11
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Just read the article.

Most of that is mumbo jumbo to me. Don’t care.

But the water rating does matter to me. And that clearly crushes the omega.

What matters most? The wrist shot. And it looks fantastic. Not too big, which was my fear. I think you picked a winner.

Old 25 March 2018, 06:53 AM   #12
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Just read the article.

Most of that is mumbo jumbo to me. Don’t care.

But the water rating does matter to me. And that clearly crushes the omega.

What matters most? The wrist shot. And it looks fantastic. Not too big, which was my fear. I think you picked a winner.
Hey Seth. Thanks for the response. I have to admit the 300m water resist on the ceramic blancpain chrono is very very impressive. Almost always these kinds of chronos are 100m or less unless they are hugely thick. They even say you can use the chrono underwater but I probably wouldn't just in case .

The main reason I really like the pitch black is for the lume. When I owned it before it was just so impressively bright. Best lume of any watch i have owned! I might end up keeping both. I also want to say that the dsotm are very very comfortable on my wrist. If I am a lumaholic I am also a comfortaholic haha (having had issues with tendonitis). The dsotm fits very good and the deployant clasp works well.
Old 26 March 2018, 10:45 AM   #13
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Hey Seth. Thanks for the response. I have to admit the 300m water resist on the ceramic blancpain chrono is very very impressive. Almost always these kinds of chronos are 100m or less unless they are hugely thick. They even say you can use the chrono underwater but I probably wouldn't just in case .

The main reason I really like the pitch black is for the lume. When I owned it before it was just so impressively bright. Best lume of any watch i have owned! I might end up keeping both. I also want to say that the dsotm are very very comfortable on my wrist. If I am a lumaholic I am also a comfortaholic haha (having had issues with tendonitis). The dsotm fits very good and the deployant clasp works well.
cmon man!!!

you are making me want one. wtf.

Old 26 March 2018, 10:53 AM   #14
japenney
"TRF" Member

Someone has to enable you

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 26 March 2018, 11:07 AM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Someone has to enable you

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Comfort and good lume??

Tough package to beat for me.

Old 2 May 2018, 08:10 PM   #16
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

The chronograph function of DSOTM is better, but BP is much more water resistant.
Choose yours.
Alex_TA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 02:15 AM   #17
Aplover5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Both beautiful watches. I have the Sedna Gold Bathyscape and find it a great fit on the wrist, congratulations!
Aplover5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 01:02 PM   #18
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Blancpain is an easy choice over the Omega. Almost bought the non chronograph version over the SD43.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote