The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2018, 05:44 AM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk04 View Post
Maybe Rolex don't make them sign a contract with such rules. But there can be a verbal understanding on how the AD should practice in lines with the ethos of Rolex.

all i know is that AD's in a lot of cases have watches in their safe. They are selling them to people they already know because they are nervous of selling to unknown and unestablished clients. They are not putting them on display to sell to just anyone. Its not that they are trying to be shady its that Rolex has been leaning on them pretty hard in the past year.

Many AD's no longer allow non local customers to be on waitlists at all, and there is also evidence that the AD is providing the buyers name to Rolex in advance to approve a purchase. One member got denied a white dial daytona because he bought a black dial daytona last year. The AD wanted to sell it to him, but Rolex said no only one daytona per customer, period. So his AD didn't have permission to sell it to him. That happened. Its totally crazy here.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:45 AM   #32
Uk04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexier View Post
Your magistrate we decided to keep his warranty card so that he cannot sell the item he purchased from us as we decided he cannot sell it for a minimum of 12months no matter what his circumstances ...swift response “judgment to the plaintiff and all costs too and here’s your warranty card”
The staff at the AD all seem nice. I'm sure if you had a genuine change in circumstances they would release the warranty card.
Uk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:47 AM   #33
kepler22
"TRF" Member

I understand from my AD that they keep the warranty card for the LV and Daytona, this is purely to stop you selling the watch on for a year. I cannot see the problem with this provided that you are advised of this condition beforehand, then its a non-issue, if you don't like the terms, shop elsewhere.
kepler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:48 AM   #34
Tim010
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can verbally agree then verbally disagree you have signed no contract stating that they can keep any part of your purchase they will never stand a cats hell chance in court - here’s your watch we’ll keep back the warranty ; here’s your Mercedes we’ll keep back the logbook; consumer protection act would not favour the seller
If you want to invest the time and money to go that route that's fine, not sure the AD would be bothered by a minor small claims court issue if someone ever pushed it that far.
Tim010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:49 AM   #35
Leejjay
"TRF" Member

I’m on a waiting list at Pragnalls, they called me last week to advise me that Rolex are instructing them to keep the warranty cards for 12 months. Did I want to remain on their list. yes I do! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leejjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:49 AM   #36
Tim010
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wouldn’t let no AD get away with this period others might
Just like you have the right to shop elsewhere, the AD has the right not to sell to you. The strength they have in places like the UK is that they hold all the cards (watches) and so if you don't agree to their terms they will sell it to the next person who will likely agree to the terms.

Tim
Tim010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:49 AM   #37
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
ask neil if you dont believe me. Ask sam another well known UK member. Use the search function. Come to the UK and see for yourself. Any option will give you the same information.

They are tracking serial numbers of grey market watches and in some cases buying them to see the source. Then the AD who sold it gets in trouble.
Tyler,,,
Your right mate,,,pro-active in finding out who flipped and when,, implied to me,,
When i picked up the BBG at Harrods,,,
they were quite open about trying to stop flipping,,,
pics taken of my full receipt,,,,coffin and white tag kept although the white tag appeared empty,,,,
it needs to happen in London as well as the rest of the uk as its got srupid and its tarnishing the brand i believe,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:50 AM   #38
kepler22
"TRF" Member

Furthermore my AD tells me that if possible he will only sell sought after models to local customers. Good for him!!!
kepler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:50 AM   #39
Rolexier
Banned

Quote:
The staff at the AD all seem nice. I'm sure if you had a genuine change in circumstances they would release the warranty card.
Maybe but it’s illegal also you’ll find, if you agree for them to keep the card that’s the only reason they can keep it if you insist on having it they cannot with hold it under any legal circumstance period - don’t be played for a fool.
Rolexier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:50 AM   #40
Brew
"TRF" Member

No card, no warranty. How can you leave the store without that? What happens if the store and your card go up in smoke the next day?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:51 AM   #41
watchnut73
"TRF" Member

Watch: daytona
New stupid UK rules?. protect the brand ? ... buy a car you get the log book, buy a house you get the deeds.... this is just waiting for a court case!!
When you buy something you expect the full package,
buy a new TV, sorry sir we are keeping your remote control... lol
your buying a watch ffs!!! plus people circumstances change in life they may need to sell the watch for a genuine reason!
Grey stock will dry up yes... but less grey stock, drives price up even more.
Go to Switzerland for a weekend break... plenty of desirable SS Rolex sat in the window.
UK market is just crazy!!! No Stock, no lists, no guarantee cards....

Last edited by watchnut73; 25 March 2018 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: .
watchnut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:51 AM   #42
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
As soon as I paid I demanded the card , after the machine gun bu bu bu but we did explaine sir I told them it was my property and over it come . I’m not rude they are and if you allow these stupid rules then they will pile more on . One post with another brand saying full cost up front no return on a four year list :-( just getting stupid
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:52 AM   #43
GenevaFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler22 View Post
Furthermore my AD tells me that if possible he will only sell sought after models to local customers. Good for him!!!
What trouble? That's like saying I sell you a vehicle and you go out and drive carelessly and the manufacturer holds the dealership responsible.

Glad my ancestors left GB back in 1800's.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L05 using Tapatalk
GenevaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:55 AM   #44
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
If I pay in full, I expect my product in full. I don't think that's unreasonable.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:55 AM   #45
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
They didn't keep my warranty card on the LN. But I think the LV is a whole new ball game. My AD is also in yorkshire.
I'm guessing Fatorinis in Harrogate?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:56 AM   #46
Uk04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler22 View Post
My ad is same regarding local customers. Is it standard for ADVto keep the coffin? I wasn't offered mine with the LN
Old 25 March 2018, 05:58 AM   #47
Uk04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe but it’s illegal also you’ll find, if you agree for them to keep the card that’s the only reason they can keep it if you insist on having it they cannot with hold it under any legal circumstance period - don’t be played for a fool.
Yes but if I agree to their terms why would I 'turn on them' once I have bought it. They are being very transparent with me.
Old 25 March 2018, 06:00 AM   #48
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
You can verbally agree then verbally disagree you have signed no contract stating that they can keep any part of your purchase they will never stand a cats hell chance in court - here’s your watch we’ll keep back the warranty ; here’s your Mercedes we’ll keep back the logbook; consumer protection act would not favour the seller
Apparently you missed an ethics class or two.
Old 25 March 2018, 06:19 AM   #49
Rolexier
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhtred59 View Post
Apparently you missed an ethics class or two.
If the ADs can stick it to us in this shameful manner ethics doesn’t come into it
Old 25 March 2018, 06:23 AM   #50
al503
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40, SD43
Quote:
Your magistrate we decided to keep his warranty card so that he cannot sell the item he purchased from us as we decided he cannot sell it for a minimum of 12months no matter what his circumstances ...swift response “judgment to the plaintiff and all costs too and here’s your warranty card”
Quote:
Wrong. Unless there is a statute/regulation/etc., that specifically does not allow a shop to do this, why would a court interfere with this transaction?

Barrister: 'Mr. Customer. Why did you leave the shop without the warranty card?'
Customer: 'Because that's the only way they would sell the watch to me.'
Barrister: 'So you knew at the time of purchase that they would keep the warranty card?'
Customer: 'Yes.'
Barrister: 'So. You had the choice to purchase the watch knowing you would not get the warranty card for 12 months or take your business elsewhere?
Barrister: 'Did they force or coerce you to purchase the watch?'
Customer: 'No.'
Barrister: 'Were the terms of the sale confusing or hard for you to understand?'
Barrister: 'The store gave you a receipt for the purchase. Not having the warranty card. Does this actually stop you from selling, transfering or pawning the watch?
Customer: 'No. I can still sell the watch but I might not be able to get as much as I possibly could for it...'
al503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 06:25 AM   #51
Rolexier
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by al503 View Post
Wrong. Unless there is a statute/regulation/etc., that specifically does not allow a shop to do this, why would a court interfere with this transaction?

Barrister: 'Mr. Customer. Why did you leave the shop without the warranty card?'
Customer: 'Because that's the only way they would sell the watch to me.'
Barrister: 'So you knew at the time of purchase that they would keep the warranty card?'
Barrister: 'So. You had the choice to purchase the watch knowing you would not get the warranty card for 12 months or take your business elsewhere?
Barrister: 'Did they force or coerce you to purchase the watch?'
Barrister: 'Were the terms of the sale confusing or hard for you to understand?'
Barrister: 'The store gave you a receipt for the purchase. Not having the warranty card. Does this actually stop you from selling, transfering or pawning the watch?
Customer: 'No. I can still sell the watch but I might not be able to get as much as I possibly could for it...'
No I think you’ll find your wrong try buying a car and the dealer holding back the logbook and see if that same applies my wife’s a lawyer by the way!
Old 25 March 2018, 06:39 AM   #52
GenevaFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
ask neil if you dont believe me. Ask sam another well known UK member. Use the search function. Come to the UK and see for yourself. Any option will give you the same information.

They are tracking serial numbers of grey market watches and in some cases buying them to see the source. Then the AD who sold it gets in trouble.
Can't believe that...I feel Rolex Police more focused on fraud watches using their name.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L05 using Tapatalk
GenevaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 06:40 AM   #53
al503
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40, SD43
Quote:
No I think you’ll find your wrong try buying a car and the dealer holding back the logbook and see if that same applies my wife’s a lawyer by the way!
So now you're trying to prove your point by introducing a different situation that has many more statutes and regulations?

LOL. Regardless, I suggest we should agree to disagree. May I also suggest that you leave matters of law to your wife.
al503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 06:45 AM   #54
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I feel bad for our UK TRF’ers - all the ADs here want are my stickers!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 06:52 AM   #55
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
AD's keeping the cards is not a thing in Ontario, Canada. In fact, they won't even peel the stickers off.

Got a SD43 three weeks ago (FYI, been looking for one for 3 weeks), and they left the stickers on, even after I had a link moved to resize it, and they gave me the warrantee card WITHOUT my name on it.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:18 AM   #56
Uk04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If the ADs can stick it to us in this shameful manner ethics doesn’t come into it
I think we must remember that Rolex are a business and more importantly have shareholders watching over them.

Man walks into a bar...

Man: can I have a pint if xxx.

Barman: the brewery only sends me 2 kegs a year, so I have to attach a few conditions. Is this ok? I won't be aggrieved if you go to the brewery's other pubs and try to buy from them.

Man: thanks for being transparent with me. I'll buy the pint.

Barman: thanks for understanding. A few freehouses have been buying pints from me and selling them in their pubs at a mark up

How would you feel as a shareholder if every time you walked past an AD and the person buying was wearing a shirt with a business name on the lines of 'online watch dealer'. The shareholders would be going to the company and asking what's going on.

Rolex have 2 options:
1. Sell with certain conditions
2. Price according to market demand. As such the retail price would increase.

THE AD has been transparent from the outset. They haven't allowed me to wait for 2-5 years and then spring their terms of sale on me
Old 25 March 2018, 07:22 AM   #57
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Tyler, I bought from them 6 months ago. They specifically said that they are holding the warranty card for existing and new customers. Though I was told that because I was an existing customer it would work in my favour (although I'm sure it's quite random).
I think Tyler Burgundy's AD would give him two warranty cards if he wanted... he's kind of a big deal, over there.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:22 AM   #58
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
If my ad wouldn’t give me the warranty card I would immediately call my cc company and dispute the charge. You should be able to get everything the watch comes with when you buy it. And no ad had a legal right to keep any part of why is included. Luckily mine gives me everything including stickers attached. Can’t wait to get he new Pepsi. Hat one will be up for sale. :)
Oceanlover914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:23 AM   #59
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I understand the UK madness — Neil and I have discussed a lot about this w/I last few weeks.

So here’s my question- if three or four months down the road you decide you just don’t want the watch anymore, it’s just not for you or you just want something else — are they going to buy it back?

That’s (to me) where this type of practice it gets dicey —

Maybe this is too much at the micro level and the issue is more at the macro level — I.e. certain ADs

No manufacturer can govern or track or furthermore really care about what the end consumer does with a watch...the distributor...sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:24 AM   #60
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Next step will be keeping the watch, box and warranty card!!!! So you give them your money and they send you a letter and a picture of the watch that you’re the proud owner of!!!