The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 31 July 2018, 06:23 AM   #391
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
D-Blue over the 5990? Wow Jorge you really have a severe case of ceramic-itis.

I use my AP RG for posher times and D500 for more casual and one of these 2 whenever I don't want to worry about marking up so don't need a third for that, so RG Naut or Aqua is a fine third for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 06:48 AM   #392
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
well, currently there is certainly no shortage of 5170P, that is certainly correct. the question is whether thierry will stop production after the two year run, as he did with the 5070P.

as you say the trend to bracelet/rubber strap is surely there but i want at least one watch on a leather strap. going high end and buying at the right price is possibly the best way of hedging against big depreciation.

Yeah , that sounds to me like a good plan, pick one leather strap that you absolutely love , buy it right to minimize your loses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 06:49 AM   #393
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
well, currently there is certainly no shortage of 5170P, that is certainly correct. the question is whether thierry will stop production after the two year run, as he did with the 5070P.

as you say the trend to bracelet/rubber strap is surely there but i want at least one watch on a leather strap. going high end and buying at the right price is possibly the best way of hedging against big depreciation.

Resale be damned! I bought this one because it checked every box for me. And it’s beautiful. If it gets discontinued after 2 years, I will be happy, but if it doesn’t, I still will wear this one and smile every time I look at it.

Old 31 July 2018, 06:53 AM   #394
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
D-Blue over the 5990? Wow Jorge you really have a severe case of ceramic-itis.

I use my AP RG for posher times and D500 for more casual and one of these 2 whenever I don't want to worry about marking up so don't need a third for that, so RG Naut or Aqua is a fine third for me.

Well I see it very simple , every time I go to my box I constantly pick the non-Nautilus choices. Why because I don’t want to deal with “ Wrist awareness “ ... it seems that I pick being careless more than being in careful mode. So yeah 5990 gets the least wrist time as a consequence. Nothing I can do about it.
Is what it is bro

Cheers

Albert Einstein
Old 31 July 2018, 07:33 AM   #395
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Well I see it very simple , every time I go to my box I constantly pick the non-Nautilus choices. Why because I don’t want to deal with “ Wrist awareness “ ... it seems that I pick being careless more than being in careful mode. So yeah 5990 gets the least wrist time as a consequence. Nothing I can do about it.
Is what it is bro

Cheers

yes nautilus' do get scratched sooo easily, the bezel is very delicate and so are the middle parts of the bracelet. however, i have been wearing my new 5980AR constantly for almost two weeks (even on an overnight flight in that period) and ...no scratch yet:::))). i should add that i have zero wrist awareness, just can't get myself there.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 12:35 PM   #396
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
well, currently there is no shortage of 5170P, that is certainly correct. the question is whether thierry will stop production after the two year run, as he did with the 5070P.

Correction: 5070P was discontinued after 8 months.

Old 31 July 2018, 01:13 PM   #397
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Will Patek make Jorge a ceramic bezel some day? ;)
Old 31 July 2018, 11:01 PM   #398
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

We can only hope

Albert Einstein
Old 31 July 2018, 11:06 PM   #399
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We can only hope

I'm trying to visualise it and somehow I'm not convinced it would look very good! AP have obviously managed to make some excellent pieces in this way though, so perhaps I just cannot 'see' it properly!
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:22 PM   #400
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
I'm trying to visualise it and somehow I'm not convinced it would look very good! AP have obviously managed to make some excellent pieces in this way though, so perhaps I just cannot 'see' it properly!
A ceramic cased 5164 would be amazing!
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:27 PM   #401
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
i hope not. It makes a watch too casual and part of the charm of a Nautilus to me is it can be dressed up or down. A ceramic bezel Rolex or AP looks ridiculous with a suit IMO. People do it but a non ceramic daytona or RO would look better in that example.

Ceramic bezels are like condoms for watches. Great in certain situations for safety, but not preferred
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 12:01 AM   #402
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i hope not. It makes a watch too casual and part of the charm of a Nautilus to me is it can be dressed up or down. A ceramic bezel Rolex or AP looks ridiculous with a suit IMO. People do it but a non ceramic daytona or RO would look better in that example.

Ceramic bezels are like condoms for watches. Great in certain situations for safety, but not preferred
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 12:10 AM   #403
SC11
Banned

Quote:

Beg to differ!

The 26579CE I’ve seen worn with a suit looked amazing!

Issue I see is ceramic is mainly used on sports watches.
Old 1 August 2018, 12:12 AM   #404
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
A ceramic cased 5164 would be amazing!
Quote:

Well i think God gave us AP and Rolex to have fun and Relax with those awesome Ceramic bezels, and they look hot.
But having the same ceramic bezels for watches like Nautilus is probably not the solution. I had plenty of watches (belive me ) that didn't have ceramic bezels and i never complain. Is not about the ceramic bezels, is about the scratch magnet characteristics of the watch. I don't know how (glad I am not a watch designer to figure it out) but keep the appealing Nautilus characteristics and modify and/or help in the scratch magnet department. Maybe is too much to ask ? don't know

Albert Einstein
Old 1 August 2018, 12:24 AM   #405
SC11
Banned

Conversion from hoarding all brands to Patek

Quote:
Well i think God gave us AP and Rolex to have fun and Relax with those awesome Ceramic bezels, and they look hot.

But having the same ceramic bezels for watches like Nautilus is probably not the solution. I had plenty of watches (belive me :lol that didn't have ceramic bezels and i never complain. Is not about the ceramic bezels, is about the scratch magnet characteristics of the watch. I don't know how (glad I am not a watch designer to figure it out) but keep the appealing Nautilus characteristics and modify and/or help in the scratch magnet department. Maybe is too much to ask ? don't know

Tegimented steel like Sinn, now after handling one and trying to mark it I wish all SS watches were made from this stuff!

For me though a ceramic bezel Nautilus or Aquanaut wouldn’t work it would have to be a complete ceramic case, could you imagine the AP ceramic graining on an Aquanaut case

Before I get hunted down I’m using this DLC pic as an idea of what ceramic could look like and I really like it!
Old 1 August 2018, 12:37 AM   #406
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Beg to differ!

The 26579CE I’ve seen worn with a suit looked amazing!

Issue I see is ceramic is mainly used on sports watches.
Quote:

I think Ceramic on suit can look great. That's not the problem, the problem is that if you put ceramic on a Nautilus then it wouldn't be a nautilus anymore, It would be something else. But you know what, now that I think about it, that's what Rolex did ; they change the look of the Daytona non-ceramic and change it to Ceramic and people went nuts, me included. So its not crazy, is just that I cant visualize it and liking it on my head, maybe I need to see it .....or maybe I Don't

Albert Einstein
Old 1 August 2018, 01:29 AM   #407
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

I think it would work for the aquanaut only and full case not just bezel. I agree it could look odd on a 5711 for example bezel only. That said I would buy it and so would everyone else

Condoms? Wtf are those.

Quote:
Tegimented steel like Sinn, now after handling one and trying to mark it I wish all SS watches were made from this stuff!

For me though a ceramic bezel Nautilus or Aquanaut wouldn’t work it would have to be a complete ceramic case, could you imagine the AP ceramic graining on an Aquanaut case

Before I get hunted down I’m using this DLC pic as an idea of what ceramic could look like and I really like it!
For sure agree on both accounts there Sam. Harder steel or full ce aquanauts.
Old 1 August 2018, 01:34 AM   #408
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Have you thought of trying that magic gold that Hublot has, does that really work?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 01:34 AM   #409
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

A CE 5164.... hmm. The 5164a is already so light, cannot imagine what it would feel like in CE. But looks good, just more sport and less elegance which I guess isn't a bad thing. Just a little less versatile in my opinion.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 01:57 AM   #410
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
A CE 5164.... hmm. The 5164a is already so light, cannot imagine what it would feel like in CE. But looks good, just more sport and less elegance which I guess isn't a bad thing. Just a little less versatile in my opinion.
I just don’t get this!

How can Ceramic vs SS be defined as sports Vs elegance?!

Surely based on a similar assumption the fact it has a rubber strap makes its sports only?!

Just a matter of taste and style really opposed to putting a colour or material into a specific bracket IMO
Old 1 August 2018, 02:06 AM   #411
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just don’t get this!

How can Ceramic vs SS be defined as sports Vs elegance?!

Surely based on a similar assumption the fact it has a rubber strap makes its sports only?!

Just a matter of taste and style really opposed to putting a colour or material into a specific bracket IMO
i like it a lot (26579CE not a CE 5164) i just wouldn't wear full ceramic anything with a suit. All black on a watch screams casual to me even if the package it comes in looks very smart. Same for rubber straps.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 02:13 AM   #412
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i like it a lot (26579CE not a CE 5164) i just wouldn't wear full ceramic anything with a suit. All black on a watch screams casual to me even if the package it comes in looks very smart. Same for rubber straps.
Yeah, this was basically going to be my response. I think the rubber does sport it up some but the polished steel neutralizes the sport aspect a little, but not too much. So it can go both ways (that's what she said ).

I just think the ceramic and making the entire watch black will cause it to lose out on its versatility, which is one of the reasons I love it so much and cannot seem to keep it off my wrist. To each their own!
Old 1 August 2018, 03:36 AM   #413
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, this was basically going to be my response. I think the rubber does sport it up some but the polished steel neutralizes the sport aspect a little, but not too much. So it can go both ways (that's what she said ).

I just think the ceramic and making the entire watch black will cause it to lose out on its versatility, which is one of the reasons I love it so much and cannot seem to keep it off my wrist. To each their own!
Ceramic doesn’t have to be black
Old 1 August 2018, 04:16 AM   #414
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ceramic doesn’t have to be black

Ok, white/Black/Gray/etc would have the same effect to me. My .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 1 August 2018, 04:25 AM   #415
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Ok, white/Black/Gray/etc would have the same effect to me. My .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Each to their own and it would be boring if we all liked the same thing

But I do wonder if some form of ceramic/white metal mix could be made a bit like the magic gold that dare I say Hublot use which is a gold/ceramic mix and very durable.
Old 1 August 2018, 04:29 AM   #416
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Each to their own and it would be boring if we all liked the same thing

But I do wonder if some form of ceramic/white metal mix could be made a bit like the magic gold that dare I say Hublot use which is a gold/ceramic mix and very durable.

I am sure someone here could do a photoshop? I am personally terrible with the program.
Old 1 August 2018, 05:52 AM   #417
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
AP used Cermet for the Bezel on their Jarno Trulli LE . In pulling up an old post by my friend Mike (Kilyung on trf) he wrote on an AP thread...“What's fascinating are the subtle differences in Cermet and Ceramic. Both have a Vickers hardness of 1450. However Cermet is lighter than Ceramic and has better deformation and shock resistance properties than Ceramic - I'm guessing that means less susceptible to cracking vs chipping. It's most used application is the space shuttle heat shields and carbide tipped tools. Ceramic is heavier but also resists staining better than Cermet. It's also characterized by a deep black vs Cermet's metallic grey. Today, AP uses Cermet exclusively for the JT edition. Just thought you'd find this interesting.” I wonder why AP doesnt use it anymore or why other companies dont have some version to improve scratch resistance

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 07:34 AM   #418
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
AP used Cermet for the Bezel on their Jarno Trulli LE . In pulling up an old post by my friend Mike (Kilyung on trf) he wrote on an AP thread...“What's fascinating are the subtle differences in Cermet and Ceramic. Both have a Vickers hardness of 1450. However Cermet is lighter than Ceramic and has better deformation and shock resistance properties than Ceramic - I'm guessing that means less susceptible to cracking vs chipping. It's most used application is the space shuttle heat shields and carbide tipped tools. Ceramic is heavier but also resists staining better than Cermet. It's also characterized by a deep black vs Cermet's metallic grey. Today, AP uses Cermet exclusively for the JT edition. Just thought you'd find this interesting.” I wonder why AP doesnt use it anymore or why other companies dont have some version to improve scratch resistance
I’m sure I remember reading Roger (Conkers) requested a cermet bezel for his custom ROO but could only have ceramic I’m not sure the reason AP gave him.

Prefer the look of cermet over the earlier AP ceramic bezel finishing but the newer my grained style does look special.

Going slightly AP in the PP section haha
Old 1 August 2018, 10:54 AM   #419
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I would definitely get a full ceramic Nautilus or Aquanaut, the fact that you won't have scratches on your watch is very cool, after 4 years my AP ce diver looks like new, and I wear it quite a lot, only the bezel on a PP would look not so good, but full ceramic would be great...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 07:38 PM   #420
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Correction: 5070P was discontinued after 8 months.

interesting info, thanks!
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote