The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 May 2017, 02:33 PM   #1
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Will Rolex discontinue the 116719 BLRO ???

It is clear that the 116719 (white gold GMT) is not selling in the type of volume that would move the needle for Rolex so I am wondering what everyone thinks about the possibility for them to discontinue this model?

I know some people suggest Rolex will introduce a SS version of this "Pepsi" watch but that sure would seem unwise as it would make this white gold version less exclusive unless there was a significant visual difference.

It seems like it might be a smart move for Rolex to discontinue this watch because it is not selling well and if it was discontinued it would become more exclusive and help sagging values.

What are your thoughts on whether the white gold will be discontinued or if a SS version is coming?
montecarlo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 02:43 PM   #2
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

What makes you say that the ceramic Pepsi isn't selling well? I've seen it around town, though i would never expect to see it in the same quantities as SS models. I don't anticipate Rolex converting it to SS; I think they'll come up with another color combo (Coke?) before doing that. Of course, it's all speculation....
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 02:45 PM   #3
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

It does not appear to be selling well because prices are sagging for used ones and new ones are being offered for low to mid $20's now.
Old 30 May 2017, 02:45 PM   #4
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo77 View Post
It is clear that the 116719 (white gold GMT) is not selling in the type of volume that would move the needle for Rolex so I am wondering what everyone thinks about the possibility for them to discontinue this model?

I know some people suggest Rolex will introduce a SS version of this "Pepsi" watch but that sure would seem unwise as it would make this white gold version less exclusive unless there was a significant visual difference.

It seems like it might be a smart move for Rolex to discontinue this watch because it is not selling well and if it was discontinued it would become more exclusive and help sagging values.

What are your thoughts on whether the white gold will be discontinued or if a SS version is coming?
I think for a PM sports watch it's quite popular. I don't see it as a watch that's hurting in sales any more than any other PM sports watch, especially those made of white gold.

While discontuing it will (slowly) make it more exclusive I don't think any value increase would affect rolex enough for it to push them to make that decision.

That said, if they did ever come out with a SS Pepsi GMT, they may as well discontinue it as I believe the sales numbers on the 116719 would absolutely plummet. I don't see the two watches ever coexisting.

I think There's more of a possibility to see a SS Coke GMT, but I also think that's very unlikely.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 02:45 PM   #5
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I was discussing this very thing with an AD in the midwest. He said the Pepsi was not selling good at all in his shop.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 02:47 PM   #6
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I was discussing this very thing with an AD in the midwest. He said the Pepsi was not selling good at all in his shop.
did he say if other PM watches with MSRPs around $40K are selling good?
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Hotrod297
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I don't think it'll be discontinued anytime soon and not sure about sagging sales? if sales are sagging, all they'll do is reduce production until they are ready to officially end it. When they do discontinue it, expect a new model to be released.
If you see the release of a Coke or Rootbeer GMT in PM, then I'd expect the Pepsi or the Green Anniversary Dial GMT to be discontinued.
If it is discontinued, it won't be reintroduced as a SS.
Old 30 May 2017, 02:58 PM   #8
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

Discontinuing it would make it more exclusive and indirectly help Rolex as being viewed as an "investment or collectible watch" because Rolex does not want to see resale values plummet for its buyers. That is why I think it would make sense for Rolex to discontinue it, by doing so the value would stabilize quickly and start to move higher over time.
Old 30 May 2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:

i believe they're selling just fine for a pm tool watch. but its clear a ss pepsi is not an unrealistic possibility since the ss sky-d made the most waves at Basel and pissing off the PM sky-d owners was deemed worth the risk.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 03:01 PM   #10
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Sure, but like this: discontinue the current BLRO at the same time a new SS GMT is introduced (coke? sprite?), then wait several years (3 to 5?), then bring back the red/blue in SS form with more vibrant colors closer to the 16710 instead of the early bakelite inserts.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 03:03 PM   #11
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
IMHO.........it would have been 100% more successful it they got the Pepsi colours correct. Put the two watches side by side and it absolutely pales in comparison to the previous GMT. They don't sell in my market. But then again, I think I was the only 116618LB sale my AD had all year and there is still one at another AD here, and it has been there well over a year.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 03:07 PM   #12
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
IMHO.........it would have been 100% more successful it they got the Pepsi colours correct. Put the two watches side by side and it absolutely pales in comparison to the previous GMT.

You may not like the colors, but they aren't "incorrect". The colors pay homage to the bakelite inserts from decades ago.

And, personally, I find them to be classier for a WG piece than the vibrant red/blue of the 16710.

Old 30 May 2017, 03:55 PM   #13
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
What a difficult title..I had to google it(though BLRO gave me hint). A simple Ceramic Pepsi or White gold pepsi would have been clear enough.

IMHO, they should discontinue it and then release SS Coke same year. Those who needed WG Pepsi should have already got it and there are enough on the secondary market and in AD stock for late comers.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 04:20 PM   #14
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
The inspiration for the BLRO was the 6542

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 05:57 PM   #15
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Shame the GMT hands are hidden, Mike. But yes that is a perfect match in terms of colour.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 06:20 PM   #16
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
You may not like the colors, but they aren't "incorrect". The colors pay homage to the bakelite inserts from decades ago.

And, personally, I find them to be classier for a WG piece than the vibrant red/blue of the 16710.

Fully agree, would love to own one
Old 30 May 2017, 06:41 PM   #17
toneafficianado
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post

that is fascinating to see!
thanks for posting both pics.
I love GMT Cs.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 06:52 PM   #18
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Discontinuing it would make it more exclusive and indirectly help Rolex as being viewed as an "investment or collectible watch" because Rolex does not want to see resale values plummet for its buyers. That is why I think it would make sense for Rolex to discontinue it, by doing so the value would stabilize quickly and start to move higher over time.
Sorry but PM Rolex have always traded at substantial discount so this is no different than any others. They are all dogs if one wants an investment they are guaranteed to lose 35% on day one. Then they might as well just discontinue all precious metal models and call it a day.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 07:08 PM   #19
bardm
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
I hope they will not discontinue the BLRO. I love it.

Would be especially bad if they introduced a SS pepsi. I would never trust Rolex again if they did.

Really think they embarrassed themselves this year with the SS Sky Dweller.

With the Daytone they did it right: Only two dials in SS and the most dull ones. All the interesting dials in PM. Easy to distinguish, at least for the WIS.

But for the Sky Dweller the most exiting dials (the blue) is for the SS model. Unnless you are very up to date on the models it won't be easy to distinguish the WG form the SS even for a WIS.

I would be REALLY pissed if I had a WG Sky Dweller.
Old 30 May 2017, 07:09 PM   #20
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
[QUOTE=kilyung;7647278]The inspiration for the BLRO was the 6542

QUOTE]

I agree. Great pics.

As for the value....like any PM Rolex (and many other watches), it's all about buying correctly.

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 08:56 PM   #21
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

PERFECT side-by-side pic. Thanks, Mike!
Old 30 May 2017, 09:47 PM   #22
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
I don't even have a ceramic BLRO but I would be mad if Rolex ever made a red blue GMTc in SS. Making a line like a SkyD SS is one thing (batons versus Romans at least) but to make an identical model would be blasphemy.

With that said my AD has had a BLRO in the case for the longest, at least two years. I've yet to see a PM Sub in their case although I'm interested to see how long it would take to move. They have the YG Daytona with green dial so we will see which one sells first. Another AD was able to sell their 116619 relatively quickly, within six months.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 10:16 PM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
It is clear that the 116719 (white gold GMT) is not selling in the type of volume that would move the needle for Rolex
What is your basis for this statement?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 10:45 PM   #24
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
Cru......

Didn't realise the reason for it. Thanks for the info.

My preference is for the brighter colors though and I think that's the issue........oh.......and it's WG and priced at 10% more than a 116618LB in my market at the AD.

Best.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 10:50 PM   #25
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
It should have been SS in the first place, then there would be no talk of killing it
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 10:53 PM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I don't think it is selling any slower than other WG models. I can't see them disco-ing this and then releasing a SS, seems too clinical and cynical, but I can see them releasing this in the other gold colours and maybe even a TT one day, surprised they haven't started this already on such an iconic bezel.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 11:02 PM   #27
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm not sure I agree here - if I read this right.

Rolex does not care about resale values in the secondary market.

They're all about maximizing revenue on new models. If those are not selling, they discontinue.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 11:07 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Brilliant Mike, thank you!

I did not know you had a 6542. Two beauties right there
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 11:08 PM   #29
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
aint gonna happen
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 11:18 PM   #30
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Agree. Lots of wishful thinking on this website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
aint gonna happen
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote