The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 April 2020, 11:26 PM   #1
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Rolex quality vs ....

So I wrote in another thread that I got a little bit of brand fatigue regarding Rolex. However I can’t deny that special feeling a Rolex gives you in hand I haven’t gotten from other brands, but I haven’t owned any brands in the same price range (10-20k) just less $

What other brands do y’all get that special feeling from, the weight, feel, depth of dial ect. Sports style: I’m still back and forth on getting a Pam or brietling in a month possibly. Looking to see what people like for casual

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 11:28 PM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Omega. Depending on the model.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 11:30 PM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
AP & Patek + Lange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 11:32 PM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Omega and Patek
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 11:35 PM   #5
dimag333
"TRF" Member

So I have owned the “heritage” or whatever seamaster and it didn’t feel That great and the finishing was ehhh, I did like my fois but couldn’t appreciate it, too new to the game At that point

steve
Old 7 April 2020, 11:35 PM   #6
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
So I wrote in another thread that I got a little bit of brand fatigue regarding Rolex. However I can’t deny that special feeling a Rolex gives you in hand I haven’t gotten from other brands, but I haven’t owned any brands in the same price range (10-20k) just less $

What other brands do y’all get that special feeling from, the weight, feel, depth of dial ect. Sports style: I’m still back and forth on getting a Pam or brietling in a month possibly. Looking to see what people like for casual

steve
I too have Rolex fatigue.

But I have not yet found anything that validly replaces it. Even Omega.

Rolex has a great appeal in the sturdiness of the watch, the designs look good, the WR is great, the lume is often pretty good and they tend to be very reliable.
The bracelets and the adjustability is also unmatched imo.

Sadly, it is the majority of the people that wear them that turn me off of the brand. Not all. Just most.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 11:37 PM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Omega and Patek
yep. and this is why I am now mostly rotating between two Patek.

But they do lack a few things Rolex has in terms of adjustability and durability.

I guess nothing will ever be perfect.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 11:42 PM   #8
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

Rolex has a great appeal in the sturdiness of the watch, the designs look good, the WR is great, the lume is often pretty good and they tend to be very reliable.

Sadly, it is the majority of the people that wear them that turn me off of the brand. Not all. Just most.
Yep, nailed it, sadly no Nautis in my future! I actually bought a monta direct from them for a couple reasons to bridge the gap, but I do want something else too. I have always been a one watch “most I could afford” guy, but maybe it’s time to have a couple nice less expensive pieces? I topped out this year with the 118238. Once stores open in nj in expecting a call for a blnr or root beer, not sure if I’ll take it, same place is a Patek dealer, was thinkng if the bare bones caltrava

steve
Old 7 April 2020, 11:42 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

steve
Dear Peter Mr Horological Man.

I sometimes see watches described and titled as professional this, or professional that,superlative this superlative that. When it comes to watches, what's the difference between a professional and an cheaper amateur watch? Do the amateur ones tell you the time for free, out of love of all things horological?. Are the professionals, the ones that will tell any time you want it to be,if you pay enough money?
Yours a Confused buyer.

Dear Confused buyer.
Now I think that Professional or amateur is in the eye, or should I say, the wrist of the beholder.Just remember this simple fact to make watches of all brands and creeds,a lot more pleasurable.
Padi.

Dear Padi.
At last my eyes have been opened.
Yours Confused buyer.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 11:47 PM   #10
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

I sometimes see watches described and titled as professional this, or professional that,superlative this superlative that. When it comes to watches, what's the difference between a professional and an cheaper amateur watch? Do the amateur ones tell you the time for free, out of love of all things horological?. Are the professionals, the ones that will tell any time you want it to be,if you pay enough money?
Yours a Confused buyer.

Dear Confused buyer.
Now I think that Professional or amateur is in the eye, or should I say, the wrist of the beholder.Just remember this simple fact to make watches of all brands and creeds,a lot more pleasurable.
Padi.

Dear Padi.
Yours Confused buyer.
I’m not sure if your talking a stab at me or not, however I like the line “does your watch tell you the time you want”

steve
Old 7 April 2020, 11:48 PM   #11
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

Yours a Confused buyer.

Dear Confused buyer.
Padi.

Dear Padi.
Yours Confused buyer.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 12:00 AM   #12
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I don't generally buy "brands" per se, but instead, watches that I like the look of. Some stick and some don't but my Ulysse Nardin, Parmigiani, Omega, Speake-Marin, Cartier, Corum, JLC and my Seadweller all fill my visual and emotional horological needs just fine.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 12:04 AM   #13
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I don't generally buy "brands" per se, but instead, watches that I like the look of. Some stick and some don't but my Ulysse Nardin, Parmigiani, Omega, Speake-Marin, Cartier, Corum, JLC and my Seadweller all fill my visual and emotional horological needs just fine.
Yeah I guess brands was putting it wrong and I should have said models, anything beats msrp and covid talk these days!

Just made an offer on a Casioak too

steve
Old 8 April 2020, 12:08 AM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 12:09 AM   #15
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah I guess brands was putting it wrong and I should have said models, anything beats msrp and covid talk these days!

steve
Well on this site there are guys who do only own Rolex and multiple models of each style. So there are some people who do only buy brands.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 12:18 AM   #16
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Well on this site there are guys who do only own Rolex and multiple models of each style. So there are some people who do only buy brands.
Which is what i have been for years and always had my square Casio for riding my bike and stuff, think I have owned 30 somethjng watches since I joined the board lol

steve
Old 8 April 2020, 02:07 AM   #17
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Quote:

How true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 07:24 AM   #18
James Madsen
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
Cartier, Omega or IWC do it for me but I understand these are not for everybody.
None of them are quite at Rolex quality though to be honest but a nice break if you have Rolex-fatigue.
Sadly I’m not old(rich) enough for Patek, AP or Lange yet ;)
Good luck sir
James Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 07:44 AM   #19
Phooi
"TRF" Member

If you like Rolex, check out Tudor. Still a really well made watch without the price tag.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 07:58 AM   #20
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Rolex quality vs ....

I would say Grand Seiko quality is right on par with Rolex. If GS could develop a bracelet of similar quality then I would be sold.
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 08:07 AM   #21
Dave455
"TRF" Member

O.P. - I totally get where you are coming from.

Products from some manufacturers have a sort of DNA that runs very deep. If you appreciate that product, you can often tell, just from a small part, the maker it’s from. This transcends the years too. A 1960’s Rolex, and one from 50 years later, will still have that same ‘feel’.

I think this is why many of the smaller players in the industry can’t make it big. They just don’t have the DNA. Not only the smaller players. I have friends who are really into Oris and Seiko, among others. I appreciate how good they are, and I’ve tried (for the sake of my wallet) to love them, but I can’t. They just don’t have ‘it’.

So, who does? Well (and I know I’m going to get flamed for this) Breitling do for one. Now, it’s not, obviously, the same DNA as Rolex, but many (not all) of their watches have that special feel. You know straight away it’s a Breitling, and you can tell from many of the individual parts.

The difference with Breitling, is that they chop and change their models around on a regular basis. Just because you like the Superocean this year, doesn’t mean you will like the watch (probably a very different watch) that they call the Superocean next year.

So, buying a Breitling is different. You don’t decide you want a Breitling, then work out which one. You generally decide you like a particular model, then go for it. The nice thing is, that model will get switched around, so there will always be a degree of uniqueness to your watch. Factor in the number of variations, straps, bracelets etc, and you almost have a custom piece.

I’m a diehard Rolex fan too, but here’s my Breitling : -
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 78B1C158-2696-4FB1-A4C7-AF0F86608F87.jpeg (91.6 KB, 253 views)
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 08:07 AM   #22
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
I would say Grand Seiko quality is right on par with Rolex. If GS could develop a bracelet of similar quality then I would be sold.
They have always held my attention, not a big bracelet guy, I might need to try one

Tudor has got my attention too, seems like their divers are really thick and use 22mm lugs, both big no’s in a small collection for me but if I had 5 or so I can grab one.

To be honest a Tudor or brietling is probably next lol. Always like the super ocean and Navi

steve
Old 8 April 2020, 08:10 AM   #23
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
They have always held my attention, not a big bracelet guy, I might need to try one

Tudor has got my attention too, seems like their divers are really thick and use 22mm lugs, both big no’s in a small collection for me but if I had 5 or so I can grab one.

To be honest a Tudor or brietling is probably next lol. Always like the super ocean and Navi

steve

I’d love to see a blue BB58...
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 08:58 AM   #24
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave455 View Post
O.P. - I totally get where you are coming from.

Products from some manufacturers have a sort of DNA that runs very deep. If you appreciate that product, you can often tell, just from a small part, the maker it’s from. This transcends the years too. A 1960’s Rolex, and one from 50 years later, will still have that same ‘feel’.

I think this is why many of the smaller players in the industry can’t make it big. They just don’t have the DNA. Not only the smaller players. I have friends who are really into Oris and Seiko, among others. I appreciate how good they are, and I’ve tried (for the sake of my wallet) to love them, but I can’t. They just don’t have ‘it’.

So, who does? Well (and I know I’m going to get flamed for this) Breitling do for one. Now, it’s not, obviously, the same DNA as Rolex, but many (not all) of their watches have that special feel. You know straight away it’s a Breitling, and you can tell from many of the individual parts.

The difference with Breitling, is that they chop and change their models around on a regular basis. Just because you like the Superocean this year, doesn’t mean you will like the watch (probably a very different watch) that they call the Superocean next year.

So, buying a Breitling is different. You don’t decide you want a Breitling, then work out which one. You generally decide you like a particular model, then go for it. The nice thing is, that model will get switched around, so there will always be a degree of uniqueness to your watch. Factor in the number of variations, straps, bracelets etc, and you almost have a custom piece.

I’m a diehard Rolex fan too, but here’s my Breitling : -
You make a great point about brietling, you can certainly feel the bezel lines and bracelets and know it’s a brietling or even “breitling esq”

They do suffer from having a million different Versions. I was thinkng abojt that black super avenger that Aaron Boone manager of yanks used to wear

steve
Old 8 April 2020, 10:02 AM   #25
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Yep - that's the only thing holding me back. I'd agree that everything else is on par and the dials may better.
newu5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 10:03 AM   #26
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They do suffer from having a million different Versions. I was thinkng abojt that black super avenger that Aaron Boone manager of yanks used to wear

steve
I think that’s one of the things you just have to accept. In fact, enjoy it! If I wear my Submariner out, chances are I’ll spot someone else with one at some point. Don’t think I’ve ever seen another Chrono Cockpit the same as mine!

The variations do give you a chance to get the look you like, and I don’t like all of them! Having said that, you do need to see the watches in real life. You pick up the details and the feel that you don’t from a website.

For many years, I wasn’t in to Breitling’s. I remember seeing the Navitimer of course, and the Chronomat, and appreciating them, but never thought they were ‘me’.

One day I was at a show, and a local dealer had a stand there. I remember remarking that I liked watches but not really Breitlings. He looked at me like an old school tailor sizing up a client, disappeared round the back, came back with a blue ‘Wings’, and put it on my wrist.

I loved it, and totally ‘got’ Breitling from then on. Sadly, I couldn’t justify that ‘Wings’ then, and it’s one of my life’s regrets. But, I got the Chrono Cockpit, and I sought out the same dealer!
Old 8 April 2020, 10:09 AM   #27
Dave455
"TRF" Member

I don’t know Aaron Boone, but I do know the Super Avenger. It’s one of those Breitlings that I generally don’t go for. But.. never say ‘never’.

A work colleague had a similar, older, model in Titanium. Looked ugly in the catalogue, awesome in reality!

Unless you see the watch, you would never appreciate things like the crystal with the anti glare both sides (that sometimes looks like it’s missing) or the subtle rounding to the case that’s expensive to do (and many manufacturers omit)! And you need to try one on to appreciate the bracelet and clasp!
Old 8 April 2020, 10:12 AM   #28
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Quote:

steve
BB58 then! I'm with you on the thickness. Even with 7.25 wrists, the Tudors look pretty tall. I've read you get used to it, but if I get a chance to try on a BB58, I'll probably end up bringing it home.
newu5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 10:12 AM   #29
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave455 View Post
I think that’s one of the things you just have to accept. In fact, enjoy it! If I wear my Submariner out, chances are I’ll spot someone else with one at some point. Don’t think I’ve ever seen another Chrono Cockpit the same as mine!

The variations do give you a chance to get the look you like, and I don’t like all of them! Having said that, you do need to see the watches in real life. You pick up the details and the feel that you don’t from a website.

For many years, I wasn’t in to Breitling’s. I remember seeing the Navitimer of course, and the Chronomat, and appreciating them, but never thought they were ‘me’.

One day I was at a show, and a local dealer had a stand there. I remember remarking that I liked watches but not really Breitlings. He looked at me like an old school tailor sizing up a client, disappeared round the back, came back with a blue ‘Wings’, and put it on my wrist.

I loved it, and totally ‘got’ Breitling from then on. Sadly, I couldn’t justify that ‘Wings’ then, and it’s one of my life’s regrets. But, I got the Chrono Cockpit, and I sought out the same dealer!
I just sent out a smoke signal to my local jewelry store to see what they have in all balck.

Admittedly in a forum life my first decent watch was an invicta That was a left handed Navi copy, actually gave it to one of my younger employees who likes watches, come to think of it I have him a seiko too!

steve
Old 8 April 2020, 10:18 AM   #30
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newu5er View Post
BB58 then! I'm with you on the thickness. Even with 7.25 wrists, the Tudors look pretty tall. I've read you get used to it, but if I get a chance to try on a BB58, I'll probably end up bringing it home.
Back when I would be offered stuff all the time (good ole days) my local store offered me a Pepsi Tudor and I just thought “wow man do they need all that space in the case” lol

steve