The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 April 2020, 10:57 AM   #61
ispep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newu5er View Post
What would be interesting is to let people submit a name to an online listing per retail outlet. Have that name correspond to a place in line on a database and you could query it to see your place. It would also generate an email alert when you're 5 from the top or something - "Get your money ready cause you're in 5th place!"

This is an amazing idea . I would love to see this inventory allocation system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ispep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 11:47 AM   #62
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispep View Post
This is an amazing idea . I would love to see this inventory allocation system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who wants transparency and fairness in the watch game? who could still sell out the back to greys then? I’m too jaded already to really consider this idea (that totally makes sense) a realistic scenario ...
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 12:29 AM   #63
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5164A
I surveyed some on the online inventory. Not really exciting.
Toffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 02:01 AM   #64
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Does Patek Philippe make make any models other than the over hyped Aquanaut or Nautilus?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 02:04 AM   #65
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
Does Patek Philippe make make any models other than the over hyped Aquanaut or Nautilus?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
You clearly haven't 'shopped' PP's online yet then
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 02:33 PM   #66
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

It's just wishful thinking if anyone thinks an AD will sell Nautiluses or Aquanauts online.

I wish it weren't true, but it is.

You don't sell stuff online that's extremely limited in terms of allocations. Never happens. Just try ordering Paper Towels from Amazon and see. :)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 11:25 AM   #67
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

If PP took orders online they could see in great detail what actual demand was for each piece, schedule their factory efficiently and immediately kill the models that don't sell. So what if they become a sport watch plus a high end collectors' watch company. The notion of moving buyers up from entry level to mid level to high level to allocation pieces in this world is beyond ludicrous. People want what they want and they want it now. If I were PP, I'd want to see EVERYBODY capable of purchasing one wearing an Aqua or a Naut.
Old 11 April 2020, 12:13 PM   #68
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
If PP took orders online they could see in great detail what actual demand was for each piece, schedule their factory efficiently and immediately kill the models that don't sell. So what if they become a sport watch plus a high end collectors' watch company. The notion of moving buyers up from entry level to mid level to high level to allocation pieces in this world is beyond ludicrous. People want what they want and they want it now. If I were PP, I'd want to see EVERYBODY capable of purchasing one wearing an Aqua or a Naut.
Patek can do what they do with their watch production because they are still a family owned company and they do not have to report to shareholders.

It is like Rolex with their SS Sports models and AP with their SS RO models. All three companies have in common that they are privately owned and can limit production of their SS sports models if they want. If they were owned by a luxury good conglomerate, I am sure they would increase production beyond demand and then no one will want the pieces because it is no longer exclusive and is always available and market price is lower than list price. Just look at the Omega Speedmaster. It is a great watch, but no one is waiting in line to purchase a regular production Speedmaster.

If you ever really get into Patek watches and develop a relationship with a Patek AD, the AD will invite serious collectors to tour the Patek factory. During the factory tour, you will definitely get a greater appreciation for the watch company, which is more than their Nautilus and Aquanaut series of watches.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:10 PM   #69
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Patek can do what they do with their watch production because they are still a family owned company and they do not have to report to shareholders.

It is like Rolex with their SS Sports models and AP with their SS RO models. All three companies have in common that they are privately owned and can limit production of their SS sports models if they want. If they were owned by a luxury good conglomerate, I am sure they would increase production beyond demand and then no one will want the pieces because it is no longer exclusive and is always available and market price is lower than list price. Just look at the Omega Speedmaster. It is a great watch, but no one is waiting in line to purchase a regular production Speedmaster.

If you ever really get into Patek watches and develop a relationship with a Patek AD, the AD will invite serious collectors to tour the Patek factory. During the factory tour, you will definitely get a greater appreciation for the watch company, which is more than their Nautilus and Aquanaut series of watches.
I get what you are saying. I have been into the brand, owned it, developed relationships with ADs but not been to the plant. My point is how do PP expect to develop new enthusiasts, growing into eventual collectors, if these newcomers can't get a watch through official sales channels? Are they expected to wait for years to be allowed into the club? Sure, they can go grey which is apparently what PP want as they are so proud of the prices on the secondary market.
Old 12 April 2020, 09:23 AM   #70
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
I get what you are saying. I have been into the brand, owned it, developed relationships with ADs but not been to the plant. My point is how do PP expect to develop new enthusiasts, growing into eventual collectors, if these newcomers can't get a watch through official sales channels? Are they expected to wait for years to be allowed into the club? Sure, they can go grey which is apparently what PP want as they are so proud of the prices on the secondary market.
It is the same situation as with Rolex and AP. If you want a SS Daytona, you are not getting one from an AD as of today. The same for an AP 15202ST. Perhaps in a year or two, if the world goes into a Great Depression, it will happen.

During the Great Recession circa 2009, one could purchase a SS Nautilus without too much difficulty. I also purchased a SS Daytona from a Rolex AD during that time period. So we will see how things will evolve over the next few months to a year and indeed those new to the brand may be able to puchase a SS sports watch from Patek, Rolex or AP.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 02:41 PM   #71
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
It is the same situation as with Rolex and AP. If you want a SS Daytona, you are not getting one from an AD as of today. The same for an AP 15202ST. Perhaps in a year or two, if the world goes into a Great Depression, it will happen.

During the Great Recession circa 2009, one could purchase a SS Nautilus without too much difficulty. I also purchased a SS Daytona from a Rolex AD during that time period. So we will see how things will evolve over the next few months to a year and indeed those new to the brand may be able to puchase a SS sports watch from Patek, Rolex or AP.
Yes, all great brands have the same issue with desirable models and time will tell if a different economic climate affects availability.
Old 6 May 2020, 12:57 PM   #72
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasTPE View Post
Times have changed, Patek to sell online by ADs~

https://usa.watchpro.com/exclusive-p...=notifications

JasTPE
ADs have stopped selling online now
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 01:00 PM   #73
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestucker View Post
I'm noticing a lot of things, by default, reverting back to "normal."

As if he pandemic is over and isn't coming back.

Old 6 May 2020, 01:13 PM   #74
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I'm noticing a lot of things, by default, reverting back to "normal."

As if he pandemic is over and isn't coming back.

I have noticed the same, like more cars on the road etc
Old 6 May 2020, 01:15 PM   #75
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have noticed the same, like more cars on the road etc
Me too.

I don't get it. Nothing has changed.

We don't have a vaccine. We don't have a high-efficacy treatment. We don't have herd immunity. The pandemic is still raging worldwide. It's not going to go away on its own by magic.
Old 6 May 2020, 04:37 PM   #76
Pim
Banned

Quote:
The ones in The Netherlands are still selling online. Maybe they are trying to sell online until they really MUST stop?
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 04:39 PM   #77
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
The ones in The Netherlands are still selling online. Maybe they are trying to sell online until they really MUST stop?
I was commenting on UK dealers