The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 October 2020, 02:45 PM   #61
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Can you ask him how many 19 year-olds have been buying the 11.59?
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 11:50 PM   #62
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Curious on the outcome and feedback
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 04:31 AM   #63
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Curious on the outcome and feedback
while I appreciate the gesture by OP the result will be " the Code is a great success for AP and we are very proud of it"... that will be it :) proof me wrong :)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 07:32 AM   #64
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
We will know spin if we hear it and he should know we will know so it will be interesting and character revealing to see which truth he tells us.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 07:41 PM   #65
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
To me AP is extremely high quality watches and goes along with that is a luxury focused lifestyle. Their boutiques in America is way too focused on the bottom line and not cultivating lifelong or loyal collectors. The U.S. boutiques gives off a feeling of what or how much can you spend today? They are not focused on understanding the collectors lifestyle or needs, they just want to push watches. They also have a salestaff that way to rough around the edges, saying things like this is particular watch is hot and is over retail and thats their sales strategy. Like of you buy a this 200k code then you can get this watch thats double retail and is all over IG. Maybe I'm old but this type of style just don't communicate class or luxury to me.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
If you don’t mind me asking, which boutique has treated you in such a way?
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 08:24 PM   #66
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
To me AP is extremely high quality watches and goes along with that is a luxury focused lifestyle. Their boutiques in America is way too focused on the bottom line and not cultivating lifelong or loyal collectors. The U.S. boutiques gives off a feeling of what or how much can you spend today? They are not focused on understanding the collectors lifestyle or needs, they just want to push watches. They also have a salestaff that way to rough around the edges, saying things like this is particular watch is hot and is over retail and thats their sales strategy. Like of you buy a this 200k code then you can get this watch thats double retail and is all over IG. Maybe I'm old but this type of style just don't communicate class or luxury to me.

Never had that experience in the UK boutique. No hard sell at all.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 10:46 PM   #67
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Me too, AP house in London was great and never tried hard sell, though they did mention the 15500st is really hard to get and was over year wait, which might be somewhat indirect way to tell you buy some other stuffs first?

Was there for an hour chatting and Code wasn’t mentioned once, only watches I was interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 05:23 AM   #68
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
I been to 3 ap boutiques in the US and a few in Asian. In the US they were all very consistent in service. (Hard sell)
In Asia is somewhat hard but their service is on another level.

startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 05:57 AM   #69
cryptorx
"TRF" Member

Quote:

As an American consumer I agree with this as well. Take the boutique in Beverly Hills for example, they’re notorious on this forum for brushing off people, but are located in an area where their potential to gain new clients that have the money is high. I guess in the area it is hard to compete with all the celebrities that they might get. And if I too were being called endless amounts of times every day asking for the same hype pieces, it would be hard for me to distinguish the secondhand sellers looking to make money vs a true fanatic who appreciates the watches and has been wanting one for years too. I think the real problem, the one that turns people away after their initial interest in the brand, and the one that the company needs to strategize around, is on dealing with these secondhand sellers.
cryptorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 07:46 PM   #70
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I been to 3 ap boutiques in the US and a few in Asian. In the US they were all very consistent in service. (Hard sell)

i got rather bad treatment in two AP boutiques in europe. it was like: yes we can sell you a 15202ST but you need to buy a code and the remastered01. on a third attempt (different city) a month ago the manager said: i have an openworked frosted WG incoming, do you want it? i said yes please! then he invited us for a great dinner and we are discussing further purchases......
pam66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 12:45 AM   #71
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i got rather bad treatment in two AP boutiques in europe. it was like: yes we can sell you a 15202ST but you need to buy a code and the remastered01. on a third attempt (different city) a month ago the manager said: i have an openworked frosted WG incoming, do you want it? i said yes please! then he invited us for a great dinner and we are discussing further purchases......
Seems amazing... I guess I’m not in that realm of watch purchases but being treated to dinner doesn’t seem like something anyone I have met in the US would do ( out of all the SA I have met).
Old 13 October 2020, 04:24 AM   #72
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Impressive!
KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 05:08 AM   #73
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I'm guessing you went to Vegas, Beverly Hills, and Miami?
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:50 AM   #74
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Clearly I am doing something wrong or just don't have the same aura you do!

No dinner invitations yet after 3 pieces. Lol.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 07:02 AM   #75
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Clearly I am doing something wrong or just don't have the same aura you do!

No dinner invitations yet after 3 pieces. Lol.
You want Lynx Africa. Makes Sex Panther smell like fermented herring.
Old 16 October 2020, 09:14 PM   #76
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Hi OP.... how was your lunch? (Or did I miss that update - hope not?)
Old 17 October 2020, 12:16 AM   #77
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You want Lynx Africa. Makes Sex Panther smell like fermented herring.
That must be it! Searching Amazon now...lol.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 12:38 AM   #78
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
I had a similar experience the boutique in Las Vegas. I kinda get it since it's vegas though lol
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 02:23 AM   #79
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
no update yet... waiting on it too
Old 17 October 2020, 04:00 AM   #80
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
That must be it! Searching Amazon now...lol.
It made Alan Partridge one of the greats of British comedy, our version of Ron Burgundy.
Old 19 October 2020, 04:12 AM   #81
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Update: Hey WatchFriends: (These are my own opinions).

I wanted to provide an update on this thread. However, please let me tell you that I have nothing, “nada”, zilch for you all on the above questions. Apologies!

My meeting with Francois was quick (at least it felt to me) and just social. There was not much mentioned that you may not already know from his interviews. Trust me, I even had my own questions written down and just never got to any of them. Like @GS93108 mentioned, I just enjoyed the present moment and the experience. He is just a cool guy, funny, calculated, and has a large presence. I do have two takeaways: 1. Leadership. I am big on this. Listening at the level of care the company took for their employees during COVID and the fact that no one was let go, really impressed me. For example, I met an employee that had 33 years at the company and was so happy and proud to be there. This left an impression on me and I started to understand (scratching the surface) what Le Brassus is all about. I’ll explain below. 2. CODE 11.59: Boy, I had loads of comments and my own questions on this model line. I want to learn the A-Z about the making of this line. As a watch nerd and someone that has put their money where their heart is, I wanted to know about the movement creation, level of finish, and the case design. I wish that eventually AP comes out with a video documentary on the Code. It completely intrigues me. Also, let’s be honest, I am not a Hodinkee journalist, a rapper, a famous golfer, a rock star, a 22 y/o DJ, or a billionaire tycoon and none of those product questions would be shared with me. I am just some guy that got the most entry level Code. As Francois mentioned in other interviews, there is a strong commitment from AP on the Code and future evolutions of the line are in the making. Yes, I know none of this is insider trade info. : ) But it was cool to chat with him.

By the way, I got to see for the first time in my life, the RO Double Balance Wheel Openworked and that is just ridiculously impressive! It is a gorgeous watch. I also felt pretty dumb that I had no idea this Code Selfwinding Tourbillon Chrono was in the market. These are just gorgeous pieces. Just wow!

Ok. So that’s that. However, I fell in love with AP. Sure, meeting Francois was really cool but being around the company is what won me over. Let me explain.

I have been a collector that falls in love with particular watches and not companies. In the past, this has served me well as I tend to buy watches I love and nothing more. The only exception has been with FPJ as many of you know. But, this is different as FPJ is a singular watchmaker creating watches from his heart and mind.

As I got the experience in Le Brassus, seeing some parts of the company, looking at employees, talking to master watchmakers, and feeling the passion of AP, I’m in love. I wish all of you to see what I saw in Le Brassus yourself so don’t want to spoil the amazing place. But, I will tell you a little about the restoration department and the Museum – but just a little. : )

Restoration Atilier:

I was met by a young lady that worked in a small team that rebuilds masterpieces from long gone eras. Tradition meeting modernity. She spoke of all the early 1900-60 pieces with the highest level of complication and innovation at that time! She pulled boxes that would reference particular watches 70+ years ago. Inside these boxes were the prototype pieces to make the watch that the restoration team could review to rebuilt watches to its original glory. I had no words. The young lady was a watchmaker rock star! She pulled out a gong ring and explained all the painstaking and traditional watchmaking involved to make that aspect of the watch. The sound. From heating the steel ring with oil lamps, filing, music composition, and the creation of micro parts. I could sit with this young lady and talk for hours but we ran out of time. Damn! Again, she was my idol that day! I asked her permission and these are the few pictures I got.

The Museum:

I will be very careful not to provide too many details as to spoil the visit for you. I want you to experience it for yourself. I will keep this brief. The place is gorgeous and again, it brings that old traditional watchmaking and mixes modernity. Just looking at the front historic building where the founders came from and looking ahead into the future with this spiral building in the back. It was perfect. I will mention that the museum is a living building and has the continuous story of AP.

This place has 300+ beautiful pieces, I think. Just heavenly but I check this one, a 1993 Royal Oak 25686 Perpetual Calendar – 39mm rose gold and platinum. Heck yeah!

Also, I misunderstood that I would be building a movement but I did get a chance to tinker with watchmaking tools to get a feel of what they do and you can do this too at the museum. There is a section where you can brush mini RO cases. It is hard but you begin to appreciate the work. You then get to use both your hands to screw down little tiny parts to experience the life of watchmakers all while the master watchmakers are right behind you! F#$king awesome!

I had a lot of fun and look forward to bringing my boys to the museum when AP opens that hotel.

By the way, there is so much to Le Brassus which has me doing research on that area and learning about this tiny strip with these mega brands.

I hope you enjoyed this read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 04:16 AM   #82
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFlorian View Post
I would like to know if it will be like a kind of interview and if you will publish it on a site?
Tell him to never stop.
He's a hero, a genius.
Thank you.

Alex, you can share my notes if you want. I am not a journalist. This is a thread of watch lovers and watch nerds.

Old 19 October 2020, 04:17 AM   #83
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post

hey buddy, check the update. Cool lunch but the entire day at AP is what was worthwhile. I think you’d appreciate it.

Old 19 October 2020, 04:18 AM   #84
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
no update yet... waiting on it too

Got an update, dauster. Hope you enjoy it.

Old 19 October 2020, 04:24 AM   #85
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the updates - interesting read and experience! Great pics as well. Would love to do it myself sometime in the future

With regards to all the questions posted here, I think that it was a bit optimistic from folks that in a short meeting with the CEO, that you'd be able to pump all of these out and get answers. If anything, as you noted, I'd imagine the interaction to be relatively brief and more general / small talk type of conversation about brand, etc.etc.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 04:35 AM   #86
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Thanks for the updates - interesting read and experience! Great pics as well. Would love to do it myself sometime in the future

With regards to all the questions posted here, I think that it was a bit optimistic from folks that in a short meeting with the CEO, that you'd be able to pump all of these out and get answers. If anything, as you noted, I'd imagine the interaction to be relatively brief and more general / small talk type of conversation about brand, etc.etc.

Highly suggest it! In fact, I would recommend coming once they have that hotel built which I saw construction going through the window. The reason, aside from seeing all the awesome stuff at AP, you will have the time to check other brands and factories in the area. This valley is GORGEOUS!

It is one hour from Geneva by car and a bit hard to get to with public transport especially if you bringing a family.

Old 19 October 2020, 04:43 AM   #87
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Thanks for the update and what a great experience for you :-)
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 05:03 AM   #88
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the write up and I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. In all reality this was your trip and your opportunity to spend time in the company of AP and FHB. 'Our' questions were just brain dumps on our part, the important part is that YOU had a great time.

The whole thing sounds great, here's hoping the world gets its act together and more of us can share a similar experience.

Well done.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 07:08 AM   #89
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing your experience!
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 09:11 AM   #90
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
hey buddy, check the update. Cool lunch but the entire day at AP is what was worthwhile. I think you’d appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing your experience and the pictures! Sounds like you had an amazing time. I hope to visit as well one day but until then experiences such as yours are a way of getting to know the brand better