The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2020, 09:25 AM   #1
DrBritoJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Fake parts to service in AD

What happens if someone send a frankenwatch to service in an AD?
Lets say original rolex parts all around , movement, bracelet , dial , hands all original rolex parts in a fake 5512 case. Will rolex allow the costumer to buy and replace the fake for a service case ? Could be possible rolex seize the watch and destroy it?
Tks
DrBritoJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 09:28 AM   #2
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
HAHA! No chance !
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 09:29 AM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Fake parts to service in AD

It’s gets returned to the customer. However, any fake Rolex branding will be removed. They won’t service it or replace fake parts.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 09:41 AM   #4
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Thats too bad in a way for the guy that bought a watch in good faith thinking it was original. RSC gives no wiggle room at all so you'd be on your own to find a case.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 10:01 AM   #5
JRidden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 - Turquoise
not sure about case, but seemed RSC in Tokyo was generous enough to let slide non-rolex spring bars and adjustment bar in sliding clasp for a 5 digit GMT my friend brought in once.

I also heard they are lenient with crystals too, but the case...probably not. I’m thinking the case is the most important.
JRidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 10:26 AM   #6
DrBritoJr
"TRF" Member

Tks guys.... I asked because I just serviced my 1992 GMT 16700 at Mayors Miami and It was not so easy.... I live in Brazil and travel every couple of months or so to Miami , or used to travel....this pandemic grounded me for almost a year by now..... but anyway. In one of this travels I left my coke gmt (bought new in bucherer Luzern in 1992) to service with Mayors AD , only to learn 3 weeks later that they would not return my coke bezel because the watch was originally all black bezel. I told them that I would provide the original all black bezel in my next travel to Miami because when I bought the red bezel in 1999 at AD in Rio de Janeiro they returned me the original all black bezel. Couple weeks later I handed them the original all black bezel and only after that they performed the service and returned me the watch all original in black bezel with the coke bezel in plastic little bag. They only returned me the coke bezel because it is rolex original. This service took me almost 4 months to be concluded.
Old 21 October 2020, 11:01 AM   #7
GMT Freak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRidden View Post
not sure about case, but seemed RSC in Tokyo was generous enough to let slide non-rolex spring bars and adjustment bar in sliding clasp for a 5 digit GMT my friend brought in once.

I also heard they are lenient with crystals too, but the case...probably not. I’m thinking the case is the most important.
Can’t imagine anyone throwing a fit over non-Rolex spring bars. I consider it part of the strap.
GMT Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 11:06 AM   #8
ToyotaMoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40,DJ41,OP41,Sub
Was this a “friend” of yours that has that watch?
ToyotaMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 11:24 AM   #9
DrBritoJr
"TRF" Member

No toyota. Neither mine nor friends watch. It was just an ordinary doubt . Both my 5512 and 5513 are factory original and unpolished since bought by my dead father long long time ago. The only thing I do from time to time is to change the 5512 9315 bracelet for an brown leather strap .
Old 22 October 2020, 03:05 AM   #10
Big Sexy
"TRF" Member

Rolex is so notorious for damaging watches in for service or repair I refuse to use them. Independents only for me and damn the torpedos
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 04:34 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBritoJr View Post
Lets say original rolex parts all around , movement, bracelet , dial , hands all original rolex parts in a fake 5512 case. Will rolex allow the costumer to buy and replace the fake for a service case ? Could be possible rolex seize the watch and destroy it?
Tks
If somebody puts an authentic movement in a fake case, it isn't a "Frankenwatch", it is a counterfeit watch.

They will not legitimize it by providing a Rolex case, that ship sailed. If it had been originally a 5512, and the case was thrashed, that would have been the time to have a new case replacement.

It is remotely possible that the movement serial could be used to determine what model watch it originally came out of - but without that original case to trade-in, this is very unlikely to result in a "real" Rolex in the end.
Old 22 October 2020, 05:41 AM   #12
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well it’s a hypothetical but if the midcase is a replica, they would likely refuse to service it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 05:50 AM   #13
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Sincerely if the case is fake, my first thought goes to a stolen watch that was "transferred" into that fake case with non-suspect serial. I'm quite sure at RSC they think the same. With vehicles you will never have a new frame or chassis if you won't give back the original damaged one, and they do so for a good reason.
Old 22 October 2020, 06:53 AM   #14
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
What happens if someone send a frankenwatch to service in an AD?
Tks
Your question is confusing. Do you mean have an AD watchmaker on premises service it?

Or the AD sends it to an official RSC? Because there can be a significant difference between the two.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 07:23 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I do not think Rolex will perform any work on it or replace the case without some proof the parts were not stolen.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 07:24 AM   #16
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
They have a special road roller paver in the back...
Old 22 October 2020, 07:34 AM   #17
1Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Blue
I have a friend who is a Rolex Certified Watchmaker, A.W.C.I. Certified Master Watchmaker, CMW-21 designation, and provides Rolex Authorized Service with a Rolex Parts Account. Has around 30,000 Rolex services under his belt. Has been in this specialty since 1962. His Dad was an Authorized Rolex dealer before he retired.

He showed me a memo from Rolex that basically states that he is prohibited from servicing any Rolex if it has ANY non-Rolex part or accessory on it.
Rolex deems any Rolex watch with non-original Rolex parts or components a "COUNTERFEIT" watch. Watch must be returned to owner with no work performed. Rolex has made it very clear to him that they will terminate his parts account and Rolex business if he violates this policy. In addition, every genuine Rolex part that is replaced, such as a crown, gets sent back to Rolex USA. Rolex puts a tight lid on their genuine parts and wants to prevent resale on the Internet, etc. He has to account for the new Rolex parts he is using and the old Rolex parts that he is removing.

I have been to his lab where he does the work. Rolex provided him with all the equipment, including ergonomic work station with arm rests and watch holders. Rolex will sometimes drop in for unexpected audits, etc.
They run a tight ship...
1Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 09:06 AM   #18
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
i personally think this is a great practice by Rolex and hope they all do it.
it's not cool imo to mix fake and authentic watches or parts in anyway.
i have been burned so it's not fun. bummer that it's so hard to go the AD route, in a way Rolex and other desirable brands could be promoting counterfeiters because of this lack of supply.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 10:42 AM   #19
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
Rolex is so notorious for damaging watches in for service or repair I refuse to use them. Independents only for me and damn the torpedos
Is this really so common? I’ve mainly seen people talk about how good service is and how the watches come back looking new if you opt to have them polished.
flal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 10:52 AM   #20
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Once a Rolex is out of warranty I could not see myself sending them anything I own. The more I hear these RSC stories the more I think "Not happening with Me".. Independent only.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:08 AM   #21
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Here is my experience. I took my Mom with her Lady Datejust President to the RSC in Dallas cause it was losing time and needed to be reset and wound too often.

She bought it secondhand as she is inexperienced. Before you go on a rant, please don't. Everyone starts somewhere.

Anyhow, They took it to the backroom for evaluation and came back soon after. Turns out, it was an aftermarket diamond bezel. Case, bracelet, movement, dial, crown, etc were legit. They offered to service it, but a new bezel to match the SN would be required as part of the service. She declined and that was that.

Eventually, she traded it at an AD toward a fully legit brand new Lady Datejust President. And that solved that issue for her.

So, in my experience, they were willing to work on it if she agreed to bring it up to spec.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:40 AM   #22
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
Rolex is *NOT* notorious for damaging watches.
Sure, there are some horror stories but think of the thousands of watches they do properly, for people NOT on TRF.
RSC has a stellar reputation with a few missteps along the way. Even when they screw up, it's not deliberate. Usually returning the watch for 'refinement' solves the problem.
RSC Toronto is terrific.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:52 AM   #23
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by flal View Post
Is this really so common? I’ve mainly seen people talk about how good service is and how the watches come back looking new if you opt to have them polished.
The RSC is one of the best places to have a modern watch serviced.

There are always stories, but there are far more about bumbling independents and ruined cases/bracelets.

Most of the horror stories are about the RSC putting on new parts (gasp)... when the owner wanted to keep their old beat up stuff; or their precious came back with a scratch.
Old 22 October 2020, 01:06 PM   #24
jhew
"TRF" Member

yea. agreed
jhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 01:11 PM   #25
nauti1us
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always changing.
Took my wife's Airking ref 5500 to the RSC in Beverly Hills for a service and found out the dial had been repainted. They wouldn't touch it, even when I asked them to replace the dial as part of the service.

Took the watch to LAWW instead for a full service and case/bracelet tidy up. She's not selling the watch, so it's not a concern in the long run - I do wish Rolex would have obliged the dial change though, especially considering the movement was authentic.
nauti1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 03:50 PM   #26
Showcall
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
they take the parts and destroy them
Showcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 08:44 PM   #27
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:
Tks guys.... I asked because I just serviced my 1992 GMT 16700 at Mayors Miami and It was not so easy.... I live in Brazil and travel every couple of months or so to Miami , or used to travel....this pandemic grounded me for almost a year by now..... but anyway. In one of this travels I left my coke gmt (bought new in bucherer Luzern in 1992) to service with Mayors AD , only to learn 3 weeks later that they would not return my coke bezel because the watch was originally all black bezel. I told them that I would provide the original all black bezel in my next travel to Miami because when I bought the red bezel in 1999 at AD in Rio de Janeiro they returned me the original all black bezel. Couple weeks later I handed them the original all black bezel and only after that they performed the service and returned me the watch all original in black bezel with the coke bezel in plastic little bag. They only returned me the coke bezel because it is rolex original. This service took me almost 4 months to be concluded.
That would be theft.

Even if aftermarket, they can't keep it, unless it says "Rolex" on it, as it only then would be a counterfeit item.
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2021, 04:14 PM   #28
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The RSC is one of the best places to have a modern watch serviced.

There are always stories, but there are far more about bumbling independents and ruined cases/bracelets.

Most of the horror stories are about the RSC putting on new parts (gasp)... when the owner wanted to keep their old beat up stuff; or their precious came back with a scratch.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2021, 05:49 PM   #29
fatderek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
It’s gets returned to the customer. However, any fake Rolex branding will be removed. They won’t service it or replace fake parts.
fatderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2021, 08:24 PM   #30
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
I don’t think this is your thread man.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote