The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 May 2019, 03:10 AM   #31
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Seems crazy getting worked up over something that happened 13 years ago that your Mum had done (can’t blame Rolex for offering a service and her agreeing to it)

Let’s face it, it’s just some faceless people on the internet saying these things are ‘better’ with patina. I’d be one of them BUT what does it really matter in the real world? The value loss is a moot point as it’s cost you nothing.

If tastes change in another 13 years (which they no doubt will) people will be getting their knickers in a twist that they want a 90’s/00’s service dial and they could be way more valuable, who knows!
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 03:12 AM   #32
Harmon Rabb
"TRF" Member

I hope that was a joke. But then again if not. The american way usually is one person to another saying see you in court. Following expensive lawsuits. Crazy from an European perspective.

Your mother had a good intention and Rolex is Rolex. They have probably already foreseen this by fine written text in paragraphs when leaving the watch in their service.
Harmon Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 04:09 AM   #33
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabennett View Post
Update: I'm suing my mom and rolex for devaluing my watch. Can't let their behavior stand.
I don't think a lawsuit is necessary! Just tell her you can never love her again until she writes you a check for your loss! Moms are easy. And I wouldn't let that original male relative who gave it to you slide either, neither one of those idiots spent a single minute researching if the watch might have some value!

I do applaud your lawsuit against Rolex, take it all the way to the Supreme Court. The millions in legal fees will be well worth it! Can you imagine the thrill of watching Ruth Bader Ginsberg take a nap?
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 08:27 AM   #34
pilapandet
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II SS
If you do not plan to sell it, then who care what it is worth. Now you will have the best of both world. A classic watch that look like a brand new one. BTW, when I had an option to get my 1665 between the old looking one with no bracelet and the service one that look like new watch on the same price, I chose the last. which I am very happy about it.
pilapandet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 10:47 AM   #35
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Did it devalue the watch in 2006?
I don’t think so
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 01:11 AM   #36
Woody
"TRF" Member

I actually prefer my watches to be fully functional and would likely choose a service dial over an original. I think your mum did you a favour (have you seen sone of those beat-up old 1665s with rotting dials??). Wear and enjoy your watch in good health.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 02:03 AM   #37
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Yeah, no use "dwelling" on it now!

Sorry - great watch anyway. Enjoy. Your mother meant well...
This.
Old 10 January 2020, 06:15 AM   #38
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Do you get the worn parts back from your car when it’s in for service?
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 06:27 AM   #39
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejmann View Post
No, but they're not worth thousands of dollars.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 07:15 AM   #40
TimeLord2
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Update: I'm suing my mom and rolex for devaluing my watch. Can't let their behavior stand.

Love that gif! On another note yes it is standard policy. this is right on the bottom of my service estimate on each of the 4 pages with the second line twice as big and bold.

Rolex will not service watches altered with non-genuine parts or accessories.
All parts and accessories are replaced on a trade-in basis.

That said you can request they give them back, which they will do for a service fee. I asked for the insert and they said I could have it back but they would have to install it and charge extra to do it. Still have no idea what to do with that watch… Yours looks great by the way and very functional with a active lume plots. Not a bad thing overall.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 12:16 AM   #41
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
No reason to be mad at anyone.

A lot of reasons to be thankful.

Enjoy your watch.
Old 13 January 2020, 12:43 AM   #42
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
No, but they're not worth thousands of dollars.
In 2006 those watch parts weren’t either.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 01:55 AM   #43
epicurus
"TRF" Member

I prefer the cleaner watch....but I am in the minority. I dont care what its worth. I prefer it to look good and function well.

Youre suing your Mom? This is a joke....or you are a joke
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 03:29 PM   #44
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
What RSC does to vintage watches is atrocious. They should ABSOLUTELY give the owner a heads up that they will be devaluing its value by changing out certain parts and giving the OWNER the option to refuse. There are plenty of threads about RSC even doing things AGAINST what the customer requested and PERMANENTLY destroying the value of watches. Such as polishing cases when specifically asked NOT to, changing out parts that were specifically asked NOT to change, etc. (ask me how I know!)

As the saying goes, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

On a positive note, at least the watch was free to you. Even with it's diminished value (and that's no small change), it's still worth a lot more than what you paid. Imagine if you payed top dollar for it and then RSC hacked it up.

The real problem is that RSC is doing EVERYTHING it can to eliminate independents so that you can only get replacement parts from RSC which means ONLY RSC will be able to service your watch. This is also why even now, getting your serviced outside of RSC can cost substantially more (due to the parts not being readily available and therefore independents having to pay more the parts which means you pay more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicurus View Post
I prefer the cleaner watch....but I am in the minority. I dont care what its worth. I prefer it to look good and function well.
So would you be willing to trade 1:1 for service replacement parts for your vintage watches? If so, hit me up, I'll get you whatever new part you want for your vintage parts....I'll wait.
Old 13 January 2020, 04:02 PM   #45
marcellomatt5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv / 16610LN
What rolex does is simply what it should do: have original parts available for watch repair. The subjective value of vintage doesn't concern it and, honestly, it shouldn't.

It's something of the market, each one must informe herself.
And don't feel bad, 13 years ago it would probably worth more revised than whitout service. The market goes crazy, don't be fanatical.
Be gratefull to your mother, it was a magnificent gift.
Use it in good health.
Longines Legend Diver
marcellomatt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 04:17 PM   #46
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116710er View Post
So would you be willing to trade 1:1 for service replacement parts for your vintage watches? If so, hit me up, I'll get you whatever new part you want for your vintage parts....I'll wait.
I prefer modern, new and improved....so if you want my older watches one day, you can buy them when their modern counterparts are released and I like the improvements. Modern = lume that doesnt yellow, glidelock clasps that are amazing, better movements, power reserves, etc. I prefer all that than to guage a watch on the value of its old parts. Like I said....thats what I like and Im probably the minority. You dont have to agree.
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:04 PM   #47
116710er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I prefer modern, new and improved....so if you want my older watches one day, you can buy them when their modern counterparts are released and I like the improvements. Modern = lume that doesnt yellow, glidelock clasps that are amazing, better movements, power reserves, etc. I prefer all that than to guage a watch on the value of its old parts. Like I said....thats what I like and Im probably the minority. You dont have to agree.
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with your position on this matter. I used to be the exact same way. I look forward to when you're ready to sell your old stuff. I'm assuming you'll be selling it at "old stuff" prices, right?
Old 13 January 2020, 09:56 PM   #48
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
A heads up would be cool though...
I think your expectation is unreasonable. They are a watch company, not consultants. You send in an old watch with parts in disrepair and their job is to make it like new again, not give you investment advice. Watch looks good, just enjoy
Old 13 January 2020, 09:57 PM   #49
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Me too. Outside the internet forums, most people have 1 or 2 nice watches, aren't collectors, and want it to look sharp.

People saying "trade me 1:1 for an unaltered original" are being idiots. You can prefer a cheaper watch that looks great without getting fleeced. Original sells for more, it just isn't for everyone.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 09:58 PM   #50
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejmann View Post
If you ask for them, sure. If there is a core cost, they will let you know.
Old 13 January 2020, 09:59 PM   #51
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116710er View Post
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with your position on this matter. I used to be the exact same way. I look forward to when you're ready to sell your old stuff. I'm assuming you'll be selling it at "old stuff" prices, right?
Great back-handed patronizing response. Bravo. This reads like everything that is wrong with rolex snob stereotypes, which you are feeding.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 11:39 PM   #52
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

A suspicious person, might wonder if Rolex re-used the more valuable
dial, to improve the value of another watch.

Pardon my ignorance, but, what does a 'Great White' dial look like?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:03 AM   #53
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
Great back-handed patronizing response. Bravo. This reads like everything that is wrong with rolex snob stereotypes, which you are feeding.
Come on. He was replying to a comment that stated “...so if you want my older watches one day, you can buy them when their modern counterparts are released and I like the improvements.” Was it a little cheeky? Sure. Patronizing? No.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:10 AM   #54
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Seriously? He attaches a gif of “Jackie Chiles” from Seinfeld and claims, in a public forum, that he’s SUING HIS MOM. Yes. It’s a joke.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 12:36 PM   #55
116710er
"TRF" Member

Epicurus clearly said:

Quote:
I dont care what its worth.
So all I'm asking him to do is exchange old parts for newer parts What's the harm exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
This reads like everything that is wrong with rolex snob stereotypes, which you are feeding.
Says the guy on a ROLEX forum...ironic, no? So exactly what's "snobby" about asking for to exchange old parts for better, newer parts when the owner says they don't care what the old parts are worth?