The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 December 2019, 02:00 AM   #31
ROGERB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 89 16610, 57 7914,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathertime89 View Post
Sounds like a Frankenstein watch. I’ll manage my expectations.
Bad choice of words on my part! I should have said seen this style of hands before not "came off". I agree with Nick9 many variations have been seen in these and hope to see her back running again!

Cheers
R
ROGERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 03:15 AM   #32
Fathertime89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGERB View Post
Bad choice of words on my part! I should have said seen this style of hands before not "came off". I agree with Nick9 many variations have been seen in these and hope to see her back running again!

Cheers
R
Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification. I’ll update when it’s finished or if I have more questions along the way.
Fathertime89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2019, 05:10 AM   #33
MrTremont
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 7928
Heres a picture of a Victory with what might be an original leather band....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg victory.jpg (167.6 KB, 88 views)
MrTremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2019, 05:28 AM   #34
Fathertime89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTremont View Post
Thanks so much for posting! That looks exactly like the previously shared illustrations and description. Best lead I have yet.
Old 24 December 2019, 05:18 PM   #35
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Here is an example of a leather band that I find on almost all of the similar watches from that era.
Just found this loose bottom half, today while cleaning. It appears to be unused.
If worn they tend to get pretty dark, I don't think the leather is very water repellent.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 05:30 PM   #36
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I think the band that I just posted is a pretty good match to the one that Old Expat had in his illustration.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 06:00 PM   #37
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTremont View Post
There's no way that's original to the watch. It's clearly been cut down to size to fit that smaller lug width.
Old 15 January 2020, 12:15 PM   #38
Fathertime89
"TRF" Member

I got it back today. This is the finished product, thank you everyone who had input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 64EDD8FA-D0F0-4807-BED0-C9052550B7BD.jpeg (172.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 15 January 2020, 12:23 PM   #39
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
I collect US military vintage watches of this era.

That genuine strap in the advertisement appears to be pigskin. Very commonly used at that time and there are loads for sale even some original NOS ones which are not expensive. I am assuming 16mm lug width? Do a Google search for vintage 16mm pigskin watch band

Fantastic little piece! Nice restoration. Crown looks good. Enjoy it!
Old 15 January 2020, 01:05 PM   #40
statsman
"TRF" Member

That looks terrific (love the red second hand)! Question- the old stories of how Rolex built brand recognition by replacing (for free) watches lost by Allied POWs- would this have been that kind of watch?

One of my grail watches is a WWII era Universal three hand watch awarded to teams at the 1948 Sugar Bowl- similar in style except only twelve hour time. People today like big watches, and snear at less than 36mm as a ladies watch, but there were some tough hombres wearing 32mm watches like this back in the day.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:27 PM   #41
Fathertime89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
I collect US military vintage watches of this era.

That genuine strap in the advertisement appears to be pigskin. Very commonly used at that time and there are loads for sale even some original NOS ones which are not expensive. I am assuming 16mm lug width? Do a Google search for vintage 16mm pigskin watch band

Fantastic little piece! Nice restoration. Crown looks good. Enjoy it!
Thanks! I’m happy with the calf skin but may experiment with how pigskin compares. It is 16mm lug width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
That looks terrific! Question- the old stories of how Rolex built brand recognition by replacing (for free) watches lost by Allied POWs- would this have been that kind of watch?

One of my grail watches is a WWII era Universal three hand watch awarded to teams at the 1948 Sugar Bowl- similar in style except only twelve hour time. People today like big watches, and snear at less than 36mm as a ladies watch, but there were some tough hombres wearing 32mm watches like this back in the day.
The Victory watches were marketed towards soldiers for sure. Hans Wilsdorf began by replacing the watches of British Royal Air Force pilots who were POW’s that had their watches confiscated. The stories continue that Americans heard about the support which really increased orders during the war and helped forge the brand. I haven’t seen a story specifically regarding the Victory but Hans replaced thousands of allied soldier’s watches without expecting payment until after the war so a Victory could have been one of those replaced.

I wasn’t sure how it would wear on the wrist being a smaller case but it looks fantastic just as any stainless steel on leather. It’s not a style of watch that’s seen everywhere and I like that.
Old 3 January 2021, 03:46 AM   #42
marsss25
"TRF" Member

Some photos...

I have photos of my Victory, but I'm not sure of originality of parts. I found it in this state at Goodwill and my watchmaker did the COA on it.

The crown most certainly doesn't match the ads, but oddly enough it matches my co-worker's grandfather's Victory. Probably the replacement of choice by watchmakers.

Me and my co- worker never really thought of original style strap, we just put them on these vintage military Orlon straps.
P1021176.JPG
P1021179.JPG
P1021180.JPG
IMG-20200715-0705517.jpg
marsss25 is offline   Reply With Quote