The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 November 2020, 05:09 AM   #1
fspfsp
"TRF" Member

AP Diver vs. Rolex SD43... Thoughts?

Hey guys,

Been thinking about moving my collection away from Rolex into AP. For most days my SD43 is my daily wearer and I love it. However, if given the option, would you take the Rolex or AP?

Also, will the tapered rubber strap that comes on a ROO fit the Diver? I'm not 100% sold on the thick strap with no taper.

Thanks in advance for thoughts!

Frank
fspfsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 06:35 AM   #2
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Hi Frank,
I would say if you can, get the AP diver and own both for a while. The good thing is you know in both cases, if it doesn't work out you can get most of your money back worst case scenario. This way you can get a better feel on what's best for you. I don't have an AP diver but I do own the ROO and a few SD's but 40mm versions. I would say the Rolex fits more comfortably over all but not so much more that I would get rid of my ROO. For me, I like the option of different watches for different moods so I kept both, but if I HAD to only keep one and it was for daily wearing, I suppose it would be the SD. This is of course just my experience and opinion but hope it helps a little. Good luck!
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 06:42 AM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
1st, yes the tapered strap from a 42mm case size is compatible but you’ll probably need to also buy a deployant clasp as I don’t think an OEM tang buckle exists for the tapered strap but I might be wrong as I haven’t owned a 42mm offshore for about 4 years. This would also mean that you have the option of putting a hornback strap on the Diver if you wanted to wear it with a suit for example.

I had a Diver and loved it but at the time it was one of 3 offshores that I had and I didn’t wear it much so I sold it but I’ve missed it ever since. The Diver is now the only 42mm offshore that I’d buy.

Because I’d really like another dive watch I have tried on a SD43 a few times, the reality is that it isn’t a patch on the Diver. The Diver is a really great watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 07:31 AM   #4
fspfsp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniazukay View Post
Hi Frank,
I would say if you can, get the AP diver and own both for a while. The good thing is you know in both cases, if it doesn't work out you can get most of your money back worst case scenario. This way you can get a better feel on what's best for you. I don't have an AP diver but I do own the ROO and a few SD's but 40mm versions. I would say the Rolex fits more comfortably over all but not so much more that I would get rid of my ROO. For me, I like the option of different watches for different moods so I kept both, but if I HAD to only keep one and it was for daily wearing, I suppose it would be the SD. This is of course just my experience and opinion but hope it helps a little. Good luck!
Thanks for the opinion, and yes, I agree different moods call for different watches!
Old 18 November 2020, 07:33 AM   #5
fspfsp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
1st, yes the tapered strap from a 42mm case size is compatible but you’ll probably need to also buy a deployant clasp as I don’t think an OEM tang buckle exists for the tapered strap but I might be wrong as I haven’t owned a 42mm offshore for about 4 years. This would also mean that you have the option of putting a hornback strap on the Diver if you wanted to wear it with a suit for example.

I had a Diver and loved it but at the time it was one of 3 offshores that I had and I didn’t wear it much so I sold it but I’ve missed it ever since. The Diver is now the only 42mm offshore that I’d buy.

Because I’d really like another dive watch I have tried on a SD43 a few times, the reality is that it isn’t a patch on the Diver. The Diver is a really great watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info on that strap! That does open new doors and options for wearing it! I hadn't thought about the buckle vs. the deployant, good point.
Old 18 November 2020, 08:41 AM   #6
fspfsp
"TRF" Member

Even with bigger wrists, the non-tapered OEM rubber strap makes the watch wear so much bigger.
Old 18 November 2020, 09:01 AM   #7
Jp28
"TRF" Member

I own an Sd43 and ROO44, so not exactly the diver.
On the strap v bracelet, both are super comfortable. The lack of taper on the rubber strap I have no issue with and in fact helps to limit any movement of the watch head. Also lots of choice on colours. Also I find tang WAY more comfortable than the AP deployant.
Overall I find the 44 more comfortable as the flat case back fits much better on my wrist. The SD case back sticks out quite a bit so does not fit so well.
The ceramic bezels on both are good though with different finishings.
I actually wear my 44’s much more than the SD so I guess that is the best summary of what I prefer :)
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 09:09 AM   #8
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I would definitely take a Diver over the SD43, but the Diver itself definitely wears a lot larger.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 12:05 PM   #9
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Don't have a SD43, but do have a DSSD and a Subc40.

Would definitely choose the AP Diver over any Rolex dive watch.

As for the Diver strap, I haven't had any issues with its thickness nor that of the strap on a previous 44mm ROO chrono.
The AP strap thickness is about the same as that of a Panerai rubber strap.

There's a bracelet available for the Diver if you don't want to wear it on a strap.

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 01:17 PM   #10
fspfsp
"TRF" Member

Thanks for this picture, I have the older version of the Deep Sea, the 116660. Good to see them next to each other for size comparison.

And never thought of the Panerai rubber as a comparison, but makes sense.
Old 19 November 2020, 03:53 AM   #11
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

I have an AP Diver (on bracelet) and a few Rolex dive watches too. The AP is a step up in quality for sure over any of them. Glidelock on the modern divers is the big win for Rolex but the overall package is better with AP. I think the SD43 is a great watch but if you have the choice get the excellent AP. I have worn my diver on the strap too and it's super comfortable but I prefer the look of the bracelet.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 08:15 AM   #12
Burlington
"TRF" Member

You are likely to find the diver strap extremely comfortable.

As said above, it’s a great watch and makes a perfect daily wearer for me.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote