The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 April 2018, 06:03 AM   #31
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I second the motion of others - at that price point, Breville is ok.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 06:30 AM   #32
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
I've used a Jura for the past 7 years. It's been fantastic.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 06:34 AM   #33
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
I've used a Jura for the past 7 years. It's been fantastic.

Couldn’t agree more

Sent from my iPhone
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 06:49 AM   #34
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I have a Nespresso, a nice lever espresso machine, and a nice grinder. I love the ritual of making my morning espresso or cappuccino. In part it's because the set-up is hassle free and I get good results every time. The consistency is what costs a lot, especially for the grinders. My wife hates the espresso machine and continues to use the Nespresso.

I personally would either stick to Nespresso, or be prepared to get something along the lines of a Breville BES920XL. The Breville is $1300 retail but I think you can use the ubiquitous 20% off coupons from Bed Bath and Beyond. It's actually a great machine for the price, with sufficient steam power for milk drinks. Next step up is a machine with an E61 grouphead, which many of the shiny machines out there use. You'd want to pair it with a good grinder, and in the lower price range the Baratza Sette is a great choice.

The alternative is finding a good local café with real baristas, which is probably cheaper in the long run.
How do you figure? A single coffee drink at one of those places can cost up to $5. If you drink just one a day on average that's over $1800/year in coffee drinks so even if you buy a decent machine, and you could get a decent machine for that money, it would pay for itself in about a year, not including coffee beans and milk. You just need to figure out how to use it and devote yourself to the task every day.

My Breville warms up pretty fast and makes a decent espresso most mornings. Sometimes I screw it up and have to do it over but that doesn't happen often (this morning I knocked my espresso over as I was preparing to froth the milk so I had to brew it again).
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 10:46 AM   #35
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
How do you figure? A single coffee drink at one of those places can cost up to $5. If you drink just one a day on average that's over $1800/year in coffee drinks so even if you buy a decent machine, and you could get a decent machine for that money, it would pay for itself in about a year, not including coffee beans and milk. You just need to figure out how to use it and devote yourself to the task every day.

My Breville warms up pretty fast and makes a decent espresso most mornings. Sometimes I screw it up and have to do it over but that doesn't happen often (this morning I knocked my espresso over as I was preparing to froth the milk so I had to brew it again).
That’s a good point. Daily coffee at a coffee shop would add up. I ran some numbers to see how long it would take my espresso and grinder combo to break even vs a Nespresso, assuming neither would break, before I purchased. It ended up being 7-10 years. But it was for coffee that runs about $14 per 12 ounce bag. I actually made a PowerPoint presentation for my wife, the family accountant, for kicks. If I had the skills and desire to roast beans properly, it would probably pay itself off faster.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 10:57 AM   #36
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Unless you're willing to go into the $1.5k + range for a good machine, that will heat to the correct temperature with the right pressure, I'd recommend old school.

A Bialetti Espresso Pot, great on a gas range or stove top, and an electric Milk Frother, such as Gourmia, Chef's Star, ton of them on Amazon for $40-$80...this setup makes superb espresso/cappuccino , all for under $100...after my second machine buying the farm, this was the way to go IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bialetti-Moka-Express.jpg (19.6 KB, 135 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 11:04 AM   #37
themast
"TRF" Member

I found a good compromise with a Didiesse Frog machine and caffè Borbone pods.

This is a fully automatic machine that only accepts ESE pods. It is designed and made in Naples, and it makes nice creamy espressos with the Caffè Borbone pods. If you want a simple system and you like the espresso the Neapolitan way, this is a very capable setup in my opinion.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 05:12 PM   #38
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Unless you're willing to go into the $1.5k + range for a good machine, that will heat to the correct temperature with the right pressure, I'd recommend old school.

A Bialetti Espresso Pot, great on a gas range or stove top, and an electric Milk Frother, such as Gourmia, Chef's Star, ton of them on Amazon for $40-$80...this setup makes superb espresso/cappuccino , all for under $100...after my second machine buying the farm, this was the way to go IMO.

Agree with this to a certain extent (and the setup that I’ve used for years before replacing for a Jura) but it’s not the quickest...

Great for weekends though.

Sent from my iPhone
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:51 AM   #39
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post

Okay, so I had to run some numbers again as I couldn't sleep last night, ironically not because I'd had too much coffee. I made the following assumptions:

One cappuccino per day every day of the year
Price in a café assumed at $5.00
Milk costs $5.00 per gallon
Espresso beans roasted and delivered to my door are $45 for 1 kilogram
Nespresso pods are $0.75
Each cappuccino requires 8oz milk, and either a double shot with 18gm of espresso ground, or 2 pods.
Nespresso machine costs $400 and we will assume a 10-year lifespan.
My machine and grinder combo is $5000 based on today's exchange rates.

10-year costs: Café is $18,250, Home rig is $9,120, Nespresso is $7,040
15-year costs: Café is $27,375, Home rig is $11,180, Nespresso is $10,760

This doesn't account for tips if you leave them, or for waste and maintenance for home usage, but is a ballpark figure.

The good news is that if we assume a more modest home espresso set-up with a semi-automatic with E61 group and good grinder, the total comes in at$3000. So at 10 years, Nespresso equilibrates with a much better home rig, and after that the home rig becomes more economical for, in my opinion, much better espresso drinks. I've never owned a superauto machine like a Jura, so not sure on the costs and lifespans of those machines. Nice thing about semi-automatics is that they are mechanically simple, share a lot of parts, and can be maintained and repaired inexpensively. I maintain my own machine with the help of YouTube videos, and I an NOT handy by any stretch.
Old 18 April 2018, 01:05 AM   #40
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
You're Nespresso machine won't last 10 years...I'd account for the purchase of at least 2, probably 3.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:24 AM   #41
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're Nespresso machine won't last 10 years...I'd account for the purchase of at least 2, probably 3.
I think it depends. Our Citi-Z has lasted around 8 years, and my parents' for about 6 years. However I got one of the entry level machines for work and it died after about 18 months. But you're probably right, maybe 5 years is a good average.
Old 18 April 2018, 02:27 AM   #42
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
well $400 can buy you about 4 if you get them on sale. I got mine for $85 and they all have the same 15 bar pumps afaik.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 03:00 AM   #43
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Okay, so I had to run some numbers again as I couldn't sleep last night, ironically not because I'd had too much coffee. I made the following assumptions:

One cappuccino per day every day of the year
Price in a café assumed at $5.00
Milk costs $5.00 per gallon
Espresso beans roasted and delivered to my door are $45 for 1 kilogram
Nespresso pods are $0.75
Each cappuccino requires 8oz milk, and either a double shot with 18gm of espresso ground, or 2 pods.
Nespresso machine costs $400 and we will assume a 10-year lifespan.
My machine and grinder combo is $5000 based on today's exchange rates.

10-year costs: Café is $18,250, Home rig is $9,120, Nespresso is $7,040
15-year costs: Café is $27,375, Home rig is $11,180, Nespresso is $10,760

This doesn't account for tips if you leave them, or for waste and maintenance for home usage, but is a ballpark figure.

The good news is that if we assume a more modest home espresso set-up with a semi-automatic with E61 group and good grinder, the total comes in at$3000. So at 10 years, Nespresso equilibrates with a much better home rig, and after that the home rig becomes more economical for, in my opinion, much better espresso drinks. I've never owned a superauto machine like a Jura, so not sure on the costs and lifespans of those machines. Nice thing about semi-automatics is that they are mechanically simple, share a lot of parts, and can be maintained and repaired inexpensively. I maintain my own machine with the help of YouTube videos, and I an NOT handy by any stretch.
Plus, it's a hassle stopping in a coffee shop every morning for a coffee drink. There are always lines and it just adds time to my already time consuming commute. I'd much rather make it at home and enjoy the time with my wife and son vs standing around at a coffee shop with a bunch of strangers. That to me is invaluable.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:02 AM   #44
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
mine is at 7 years. Its a higher end nespresso machine which also does milk but no issues with it ever.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:44 AM   #45
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
I have a Miele going on 6 years now and it has performed flawlessly.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 06:46 AM   #46
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
I have been using the Delonghi Dedica for a few months now and love it. Certainly not a coffee nut but it brews a great espresso and has a wand for frothing milk.

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:38 AM   #47
James K
"TRF" Member

I've got a Gaggia super automatic, been using it for 5 years now. It was a bit more than your budget but it paid for itself within the first year between myself and my wife. You can also foam the milk manually or use the detachable carafe and let the machine foam the milk for you. If you shop around you can pick one up around the mid $1500-$1700 range.
Here's one example although it's refurbished:

https://www.wholelattelove.com/8-60e-12

This one is similar to mine and even has 90% of the same internal parts at a pretty significant price drop.
James K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 08:02 AM   #48
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
We have a DeLonghi Nespresso Latissma and it is our second Nespresso, gifted the first Nespresso to my parents. Overall, very happy with it. But, having had professionals craft expressos and lattes with fresh beans, etc., I know there is another level you just can’t get from capsule based systems.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:18 PM   #49
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
We probably need a bit of feedback from the OP at this point as his question was:

"Looking for a recommendation on a quality espresso machine that also has the ability to froth milk for lattes and what not. Not sure what the market is for getting into these but not looking to spend more than a couple hundred bucks, if possible."

Most suggestions are either Capsule (Nespresso-style) machines or way out of his budget. Really need to know something about the OPs taste in coffee - has he tried Capsule coffee? Is this what he wants? Is he prepared to mess around with an entry-level Espresso machine? Is he prepared to buy quality bean?

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 02:26 AM   #50
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Yet another Nespresso vote here.

I wouldnt look any further. You CANNOT beat the quality/taste/convenience it provides. Especially factoring the price (approx $0.80 - 1.30 a cup).
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 02:57 AM   #51
selpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lig View Post
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/br...chine-bes870xl

If you don’t mind a little work and $600 is in play:

Solid conical grinder and enough pressure.

Wifey is addicted to hemp milk cappuccinos.
Second the Breville!
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 03:18 AM   #52
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Unfortunately that is not enough money. Espresso is strictly for hobbyists imho.

Get a gaggia classic and save 2-300 for a burr grinder. Realistically just get a nespresso.
Old 19 April 2018, 05:28 AM   #53
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
I'd highly recommend a Jura machine. A little more than your were hoping to spend but for the quality vs convenience alone well worth the money. (Does require a fair bit of cleaning though - because you are putting milk through the system).

It will grind your beans and froth your milk at the touch of a button with no skill required and results/quality are superb!! A perfect crema!
I believe the basic Jura machines start at €600ish, which is quite reasonable for its quality.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 07:38 PM   #54
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
I have a Caffitaly Nautilus machine since 2011. I use it fairly regularly. Some days, I am happy with instant coffee or I will use the coffee plunger. It is certainly cheaper than buying coffee everyday from the coffee chains or shops.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 12:13 AM   #55
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
In that budget, i'd go KRUPS (pump system) all the way.
I've had many espresso makers over the years, KRUPS (PUMP) beats them all by a mile.

This is previous gen krups. Looks like they are graduating to fully automatic.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 12:25 AM   #56
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Couldn’t agree more

Sent from my iPhone
Jura here for about 8 years now. If there was a fire in my house I would save people/things in this order...
1. kids
2. wife
3. dogs
4. jura
5. watches
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 01:35 AM   #57
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Jura here for about 8 years now. If there was a fire in my house I would save people/things in this order...
1. kids
2. wife
3. dogs
4. jura
5. watches
Hahahaha!

It's similar to my list!

I have the j90 chrome and i love it!
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 02:06 AM   #58
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'd highly recommend a Jura machine. A little more than your were hoping to spend but for the quality vs convenience alone well worth the money. (Does require a fair bit of cleaning though - because you are putting milk through the system).

It will grind your beans and froth your milk at the touch of a button with no skill required and results/quality are superb!! A perfect crema!
We have a Jura, love it!
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 03:17 AM   #59
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

De'Longhi EC155 15 BAR Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Make

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F49XXG/

Buy a normal set of baskets and modify them by flattening their outer lip.

For more on the cheap Amazon unit, see http://protofusion.org/wordpress/201.../#comment-1123
Until you get to a Gaggia, that's about the best imho.

BTW, had a Gaggia for years, then an Isomac Tea... and now using a Rocket Giotto Type V and loving it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 09:20 AM   #60
arizonapaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: All 3 Sea-Dwellers
Jura the best. I have 3, bought the A9 refurbished and could not be happier. Price was 999.00 instead of 1999 and comes with one year warranty. Big bang for the buck, and I think some of the best features. Oh, and 3, one for each home, and one for my office. LInk where I bought all mine, very nice people

https://www.1stincoffee.com/refurbished-jura-a9.htm
Rolex TT Sub-
Rolex SD4000
Omega Ploprof 1200 m
Panerai 510
Panerai 785 set-NIB
Rolex Airking
arizonapaul is offline   Reply With Quote