The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 November 2011, 12:06 PM   #1
matt4hand
Banned

Watch: Tramp
Vintage GMT???

I posted about this watch a few weeks ago. I have the opportunity to get it at a "deal" maybe...
It looks like it was dropped to the bottom of the ocean and then brought back up.

I've been told 100% original like it came off the assembly. Rivet band stamped 65. I am about to make an offer on this and maybe a vintage tudor.

Any ideas or pro's cons that you guys see. I'm not an expert on GMT's at all.

This is not a "for sale" ad so PM me if necessary.

matt4hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2011, 12:12 PM   #2
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Pros: Looks like a well loved and original example, dial looks good and case doesn't look overly polished.
Cons: It will need an overhaul to get it back looking like it did when it first came out of the factory... And from what I can see there's that halo effect around the center of the dial, and it looked like it aged a bit. Can't really tell with that crystal though, too many scratches. Band has stretch. Would love to see this one all fixed up!
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2011, 12:21 PM   #3
matt4hand
Banned

Watch: Tramp
The halo can been seen under a loupe much better. I imagine that is from one of the hands?
matt4hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Michael M.
Banned

I agree with Kyle....the dial looks average it may look a bit better after the crystal is polished. The case looks untouched...notice the circular original finish on the case back & the nice thick bevels. Would look great after a little TLC...no polishing though.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2011, 01:14 PM   #5
tuonor
"TRF" Member

To my untrained eye, the 2 o'clock lug is overpolished: i) the chamfer is touching the lughole; ii) the adjacent crown guard is noticably thinner than the other one and iii) the springbar is sticking out (could just be the springbar but possibly confirmation of a "thin" lug).

You can also see bowling at another lughole from polishing. On the other hand, I'm a fan of the insert patina.
tuonor is offline   Reply With Quote