The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 May 2019, 12:24 PM   #1
Sglass
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The throne
Help - buying PP 3800

Hey I’ve been offered this nautilus PP3800 and I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything or any big issues. I think there is a bit of stretch in the bracelet. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 01:15 PM   #2
chows99
"TRF" Member

The moderate stretch is normal for a Nautilus that is worn daily. If it gets too stretched for you, you may need to consider the price of getting a new bracelet.

Remember to get the extract to confirm the movement.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 01:23 PM   #3
Sglass
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks Chows99. What should I be looking for on the extract?
Old 22 May 2019, 01:48 PM   #4
chows99
"TRF" Member

The movement number should match when you opened up the caseback upon inspection.

Look out for any replacement parts like dial, etc.

Is this a face to face deal?
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 06:16 PM   #5
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn't worry about the stretch in the bracelet, I think that's more of a Rolex paranoia. And I certainly wouldn't change for a new bracelet. The dial looks correct for a 90s 3800 since it's a sigma dial and, also, the date wheel has the correct font.
This is the most desirable non special order stainless iteration of the 3800, since it is the spitting image of the 3700, albeit smaller and with a second hand.
You live in NYC so you could always take it to Henry Stern Agency for a service.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 08:55 PM   #6
Sglass
2024 Pledge Member

This is not a face to face deal, but one from a dealer with a strong reputation. He does not have movement pictures though so I can not verify movement vs. extract.
Old 22 May 2019, 09:10 PM   #7
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sglass View Post
This is not a face to face deal, but one from a dealer with a strong reputation. He does not have movement pictures though so I can not verify movement vs. extract.
Getting the Extract takes time (you need to write and pay to PP to proceed) , basically you make not a big mistake if you buy it w/o and obtain the paperworky later since you are entitled for full refund if it turns out the watch was stolen .

You may can check if the bracelet has all the links , and inquire the last service date ,i d bring it to a watchmaker to put on vibrograph for accuracy and pressure test.

otherwise it s a lovely watch , enjoy it .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 09:23 PM   #8
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
You mention I've been offered vs I want to buy...

Is this for you or is this a trade that you plan to flip?

Regardless, it's a good looking Nautilus 3800...probably the most desirable version as well...

Extracts are easy to obtain and the service is inexpensive, but it requires the help of a watch maker to open the case back so pics can be taken and sent to PP for eval.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 09:49 PM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

Assuming there is no service history, you haven't seen movement pics, there is no extract or other paperwork, I would take it to Henry Stern ASAP to make sure everything is in order and factor in service cost of around 1.5k. They will get you the extract as well and it will take several months to get the watch back. This way you will also make sure it has not been stolen and you learn when it was produced, originally sold, and the movement type. The 330 is understood to be more reliable than the earlier 335 (weird numbering I know) and the change from 335 to 330 happened in the early 1990s if I remember correctly.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 10:08 PM   #10
Sglass
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks everyone, this is a buy and hold forever for me. They have the extract, just don’t have the case open for me to confirm the movement matches. I appreciate all of the help and sounds like I should bring it in to Henry Stern once I receive it.
Old 22 May 2019, 10:43 PM   #11
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/

IMHO Bracelet stretch can be fixed easily don’t need to replace brand new strap. Good luck n happy shopping
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 09:08 AM   #12
66Berret
Banned

Moderate stretch looks OK for a daily worn Nautilus. You might wanna consider getting a new bracelet If it gets too stretched for you
66Berret is offline   Reply With Quote