The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2019, 07:54 PM   #1
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
5 digit vs 6 digit oyster bracelets

Looking (always looking..!) at the older 5 digit watches and my eye is being drawn to the 16610 but more to the 14060. The front of the watch just has that simplicity about it that I love.
However the bracelet is another matter - having the 116600 SD4k (and 116500) with the new bracelets I think it will seem a poor relation when rotating between these.
Is there any way that I could change the bracelets to a new model one? Am sure you can’t change the actual bracelet as the older has holes at the lugs but maybe it is possible to change the clasp (the stamped clasp being is my main issue with the older 5 digit models. I think there is not a huge difference in old vs new bracelets, just the tuna can clasp?)

Am pretty sure Rolex would have done something that makes this difficult if not impossible but at the moment I can hope..

If anyone has actually done this, then pics/comments would be a bonus.
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 08:00 PM   #2
kwingy
"TRF" Member

I am sure the 16610 can accept the new Glide Lock bracelets. I've seen pictures on this forum of people that have done this as long as you use the spring bars from the original 16610.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 08:03 PM   #3
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

The only way to have the new bracelet adapted to the 14060 would be to remove the solid end link from the 6 digit bracelet and include the piece that attaches to the spring bar.

You will have to consider the cost of a new 6 digit bracelet and the modification

I did that to a Ginault bracelet and am very happy with the result. :-)

Of course, I still have the original 14060M bracelet for when I feel like wearing it.
GarbanzoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:15 PM   #4
zetaplus93
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 & 116710LN
Yup, I believe the newer 97200 Glidelock fits the older 5-digit references. Double check to confirm it works—you get the best of both worlds IMHO. I’ve got the setup with a 16570.
Old 24 May 2019, 10:17 PM   #5
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post
Looking (always looking..!) at the older 5 digit watches and my eye is being drawn to the 16610 but more to the 14060. The front of the watch just has that simplicity about it that I love.
However the bracelet is another matter - having the 116600 SD4k (and 116500) with the new bracelets I think it will seem a poor relation when rotating between these.
Is there any way that I could change the bracelets to a new model one? Am sure you can’t change the actual bracelet as the older has holes at the lugs but maybe it is possible to change the clasp (the stamped clasp being is my main issue with the older 5 digit models. I think there is not a huge difference in old vs new bracelets, just the tuna can clasp?)

Am pretty sure Rolex would have done something that makes this difficult if not impossible but at the moment I can hope..

If anyone has actually done this, then pics/comments would be a bonus.

The bracelet differences are overblown. The 5 digit bracelets are just as strong, lighter, and have at least 4 mini adjustments that can be made with a desk paper clip. My Daytona has a heavier bracelet and the easy link, but I have never had any problem getting a great fit on my sub. The heavier bracelet is really more psychological preference as people associate the greater heft with quality. Once upon a time, Rolex placed function over form and a lighter though equally strong bracelet has real functional utility.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:28 PM   #6
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Yes - the older ones are still pretty good!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:35 PM   #7
kwingy
"TRF" Member

The main issue I have with the older bracelet is not their robustness but the fact that for people with small wrist like mine, you can't have 4 links on the 6 o'clock side because the tuna clasp adds that extra link. That will mean the clasp is off centre resulting in it being very uncomfortable to wear.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:42 PM   #8
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Yes, it fits.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 09:01 AM   #9
Emcphers
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
How many links were included with the old bracelets vs the new ones?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Emcphers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 09:16 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post
Looking (always looking..!) at the older 5 digit watches and my eye is being drawn to the 16610 but more to the 14060. . . .
Is there any way that I could change the bracelets to a new model one?. ..
Sorry. There is no modern SEL bracelet that will fit on the 14060 case without major modifications; it has not been machined on the backside to accept one.

A modern clasp, however, is a bolt-on.
Old 16 July 2019, 09:17 AM   #11
afjag256
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwingy View Post
The main issue I have with the older bracelet is not their robustness but the fact that for people with small wrist like mine, you can't have 4 links on the 6 o'clock side because the tuna clasp adds that extra link. That will mean the clasp is off centre resulting in it being very uncomfortable to wear.
I’m not sure I understand. Can’t you move a link to the other side?
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 09:21 AM   #12
afjag256
"TRF" Member

I much prefer the older bracelets. The newer ones are too heavy for my preference.
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 09:25 AM   #13
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Mine fits fine and is really comfy on the wrist. I have not tried a newer gridlock bracelet so can't really compare.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 09:33 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by afjag256 View Post
I much prefer the older bracelets. The newer ones are too heavy for my preference.
I agree in so much as a modern bracelet on a 5 digit reference, just would feel “off” to me
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 11:16 AM   #15
jaroush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I solved this problem on my 14060M by reversing the entire bracelet. The clasp is now perfectly centered on the underside of my wrist. The only downside is that when I turn over my wrist and look at the clasp, the coronet is upside down. I don't care. It's worth it to have a perfect, centered fit.

Last edited by jaroush; 16 July 2019 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Correct typo
jaroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 11:31 AM   #16
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
I was running into the same issue and had an idea...

I ran the idea past Mike at Rolliworks and he did the mod. I think it turned out great and looks better to boot. I never liked the look of that flimsy attachment link. He ended up fitting a sleeve over the rivet so it would be tight in the link. Here is the result.

csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 11:34 AM   #17
jflala
"TRF" Member

My next purchase will be a 14060 T5 dial before anything. Hope can get before end year and the price not inflated too much!
jflala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 11:56 AM   #18
rjstuf001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Made in Suisse
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflala View Post
My next purchase will be a 14060 T5 dial before anything. Hope can get before end year and the price not inflated too much!
One way to avoid this would be by not announcing to the world that you're looking for a 14060 T5 dial
rjstuf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 12:30 PM   #19
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
5 digit vs 6 digit oyster bracelets

[/QUOTE]

These pics game me flashbacks... it has been nearly 3 years since I switched from a five digit to a six digit sub... the old clasp felt so cheap, when compared to the new one. And the glide lock ROCKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 12:58 PM   #20
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Flip the clasp around. I have the same issue and it centers the clasp blades perfectly.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 01:19 PM   #21
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

We've taken quite a few calls asking for about this exact issue, so we decided to make a blog post to walk one through the process. It's faster for us to send them to our blog than query this thread when on the spot and on a phone call. Hopes this helps future inquiries.

https://www.rolliworks.com/post/oyst...link-explained
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 01:49 PM   #22
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Flip the bracelet.. worked for me x 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 02:04 PM   #23
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by afjag256 View Post
I concur
Old 4 August 2019, 02:10 PM   #24
mtheard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Thank god the 16610/14060 have such pretty faces. The bracelet they have is hot garbage. I like the grid-like look of the clasp, but man do the new ones (and pretty much any other brand's clasps)knock it out of the water.
mtheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 02:11 PM   #25
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaroush View Post
I solved this problem on my 14060M by reversing the entire bracelet. The clasp is now perfectly centered on the underside of my wrist. The only downside is that when I turn over my wrist and look at the clasp, the coronet is upside down. I don't care. It's worth it to have a perfect, centered fit.
I did the same on my former 5-digit models — works great! I don’t know why people try to permanently remove a link.

But, the 14060/M case is slightly different from the 16610/16710/16570 — which is why the 14060/M never had a SEL bracelet, and why it is the best 5-digit for leather straps (without scratching them). I would be suspect about the 14060 handling a modern glide lock, even if it can work on other 5-digit models.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 02:16 PM   #26
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
No doubt the new clasps are a nicely engineered piece of kit but the old ones seem to fold away and disappear on the wrist. Simplicity. It's kind of gotten to where there are two great chunks of steel either side of the wrist connected by links. People expect that at such a price point now. No one wants stamped steel anymore. Those cheap flimsy stamped steel clasps were just awful.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 03:33 PM   #27
CYKBC
"TRF" Member

I thought I’d not like the five digit bracelet coming from current gen versions. It’s like a trusty, proven model vehicle. It just works and has withstood the test of time.

I never liked the glide lock as it’s a lot of clasp. I wear my bracelets loose.
CYKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 10:26 PM   #28
chip8541
"TRF" Member

I love the stamped steel clasps. Slimmer and plenty strong. No welds to break
chip8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 10:35 PM   #29
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaroush View Post
I did the same on my 14060M when I ran out of links to move.

Feels strange to begin with when I put the watch on but I don’t notice it now.

Centres the clasp and stops the watch from rotating around.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 12:38 AM   #30
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
There’s nothing wrong with 5 digit bracelets or clasps. Takes a little while to get used to one from the other when rotating. I almost think the five digit is in way ways stronger and more reliable despite being lighter. Would be easier and cheaper to fix. Not much to go wrong.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote