The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2019, 11:12 AM   #1
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
Can someone explain how an AD orders a watch?

I have a decent relationship with my AD and they offered to "order" a particular Day-Date for me. Forgive my ignorance here, but can the manager of an AD really pick up the phone and "order" a specific watch from Rolex for a customer?

They also seem to want to be "paid in full" prior to placing the order. I've never been asked to pay in full before. Bought lots of watches and have never been asked to pay in full upfront. I won't be doing that:-)

But anyway...back to my question...do ADs really "order" watches? Or is that just a smoke and mirrors routine where the guesstimate that the watch in question will arrive in an upcoming shipment from Rolex?
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:19 AM   #2
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Yes. ADs don't just receive random shipments from Rolex, and a lot of ADs couldn't afford to keep one of every Rolex watch in stock. ADs have to pay for that inventory -- it's not on consignment from Rolex.

The very popular watches are a different case, because there aren't enough of those to go around. But especially for expensive PM pieces, the AD isn't going to want to grab more than the minimum required by Rolex, because that's hundreds of thousand of dollars of unsold inventory sitting there.

Should you pay in advance? I personally wouldn't have a problem with it if the watch came very quickly, but don't do it if you don't want to. You'll just have to find an AD that doesn't mind the risk that you'll flake, or that already has one sitting around.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:22 AM   #3
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
The most I’ve been asked to put down is 50%. I’d never put down the full amount unless I had a very specific timeline to receive the watch.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:22 AM   #4
77T
2024 Pledge Member

As already mentioned, they can place special orders to your liking. But since nobody else may want your choice of dial, etc. it would be normal to pay up front (unless you had a long-term purchasing track record with them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:23 AM   #5
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Absolutely, it happens all the time. A colleague ordered a specific DJ that the AD didn't have in stock for his fiancé last November. It took a few weeks to arrive.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:23 AM   #6
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
Yes. ADs don't just receive random shipments from Rolex, and a lot of ADs couldn't afford to keep one of every Rolex watch in stock. ADs have to pay for that inventory -- it's not on consignment from Rolex.

The very popular watches are a different case, because there aren't enough of those to go around. But especially for expensive PM pieces, the AD isn't going to want to grab more than the minimum required by Rolex, because that's hundreds of thousand of dollars of unsold inventory sitting there.

Should you pay in advance? I personally wouldn't have a problem with it if the watch came very quickly, but don't do it if you don't want to. You'll just have to find an AD that doesn't mind the risk that you'll flake, or that already has one sitting around.
I’d pay upfront if the discount was sufficient to warrant the prepayment.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:25 AM   #7
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydans View Post
The most I’ve been asked to put down is 50%. I’d never put down the full amount unless I had a very specific timeline to receive the watch.
My rep can tell me of the piece I’m ordering is “allocated” or if it’s currently in stock to order with delivery in a few weeks time. The allocated pieces are sort of a nobody knows on timing or who they have to fulfill before you. The allocated pieces, as you may know, are all the hard to get ones
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:27 AM   #8
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
They can indeed order watches of this classification, for eg, DDs, DJs, pm watches but it isn't exactly the same thing when it comes to ss which is apparently the new industry precious metal. Those watches along with certain precious metal variants are allocation, they get what they get, no ordering, hence the waitlists for those.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:31 AM   #9
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

my AD ordered a dd36 for me last summer. they just call rolex and find out if your watch is in stock in the USA and if it is you'll have it in a week or 2, if not it can take a few months. ofc this only applies to PMs and datejusts and not SS watches
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:41 AM   #10
Iowa 73
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116503
I just ordered a TT Daytona. They asked for $1000 down.
Could not order a CHNR too, I had to go on the wait list for that one.
Old 24 May 2019, 11:49 AM   #11
justjay82
"TRF" Member

In my experience, ADs are asking for payment in full in situations where they can guarantee a delivery by date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:57 AM   #12
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I would never give them a free loan without assurances it would come quickly!
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:06 PM   #13
Slurve30
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
Ever since I got my first Rolex 6 months ago, I've totally got the itch for my next one. Walked into an AD because I wanted to check out and try on a potential Rolex Explorer I or an OP. It wasn't my usual AD because this one also sells Tudor and I wanted to check out the similar Tudor BB36

Not surprisingly, no Rolex Explorer in stock. I was surprised there were no OP's in stock either, but they said they could order the Exp1 or OP for me with a 100% deposit. Asked about a delivery date and they couldn't give me one. Bit my tongue and left.

Guess I'll have to check out some of the greys on Jeweler's Row in Chicago if I ever want to see and try some of these models.
Slurve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:36 PM   #14
Wimbledon
Banned

Thanks everyone! That's a lot of good information. I appreciate everyone's responses above.
Old 24 May 2019, 12:44 PM   #15
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
As far as my AD goes, they can take an order on any solid gold pieces (excluding 2019 Basel releases) and any non Professional pieces. They said the deposit really depends on the piece. Depending on the piece they might ask for payment in full with no cancellations.
I would say if you know you want it and can afford it, go ahead and pay for it but I would also ask for a delivery date in writing. Good luck!

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:48 PM   #16
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Like others have said, most PM models can be special ordered, if it’s already in the US they would know that and it would be quick.
I don’t blame them for wanting payment up front for a DD especially if it’s an unusual configuration. They’d be stuck with it if you flaked.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:53 PM   #17
Wimbledon
Banned

Good points. Thanks folks!
Old 24 May 2019, 01:21 PM   #18
usyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day-Date
Thanks everyone! That's a lot of good information.
usyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:04 PM   #19
brain168
"TRF" Member

AD's will talk to Rolex corporate in charge of that area to see if there is a configuration in stock. If there is one somewhere in your region it can get sent to the AD which doesn't take too long. If it is a very uncommon combination, the order might get passed onto Switzerland.

Never had to put a deposit down for a 'special order' in Singapore but I have a good relationship with one of the AD's. Rolex Singapore also controls the distribution for other countries such as Malaysia, Thailand and possible more.

Rolex Australia on the other hand is small and quite useless. I don't know how the process of special orders go about down here but I know someone who has been waiting for half a year and still has no ETA. Doesn't help that the new movement in the DJ36 got released.
brain168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:20 PM   #20
Fchernyak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Ordered a YG sub black dial. It came in about 3 weeks. Initially my AD asked for 5k deposit. I was out of town and the time I called him up and told him I’d stop by to drop it off. I had a history with him so he said np. I ended up extending my vacation another week and didn’t have a chance to stop by to give him deposit. Ended up paying In full when it came in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fchernyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:31 PM   #21
MinMay
Banned

Each AD is different....walk in and place your order based on their terms. If you don't agreed to the terms (waitlist or deposit, etc), then walk away and find another way.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:54 PM   #22
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain168 View Post
AD's will talk to Rolex corporate in charge of that area to see if there is a configuration in stock. If there is one somewhere in your region it can get sent to the AD which doesn't take too long. If it is a very uncommon combination, the order might get passed onto Switzerland.

Never had to put a deposit down for a 'special order' in Singapore but I have a good relationship with one of the AD's. Rolex Singapore also controls the distribution for other countries such as Malaysia, Thailand and possible more.

Rolex Australia on the other hand is small and quite useless. I don't know how the process of special orders go about down here but I know someone who has been waiting for half a year and still has no ETA. Doesn't help that the new movement in the DJ36 got released.

I was in the AD a few days ago and asked about a certain dj 31 configuration, he said they check if there’s one in stock with the Aus head office and if so have it within a week, or if there wasn’t he shook his head and said no ones when they will get one lol
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 03:21 PM   #23
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
I have a decent relationship with my AD and they offered to "order" a particular Day-Date for me. Forgive my ignorance here, but can the manager of an AD really pick up the phone and "order" a specific watch from Rolex for a customer?

They also seem to want to be "paid in full" prior to placing the order. I've never been asked to pay in full before. Bought lots of watches and have never been asked to pay in full upfront. I won't be doing that:-)

But anyway...back to my question...do ADs really "order" watches? Or is that just a smoke and mirrors routine where the guesstimate that the watch in question will arrive in an upcoming shipment from Rolex?
ADs can order most Rolex watches. The popular watches (SS sportmodels and newest releases of Basel) are "allocated" pieces and Rolex decides how many they will ship to an AD.
Paying 100 % up front for a Day-Date? If there are other ADs nearby, I would pass and call them(preferably one of a big chain) and let them search if they have one in stock and let them send it to your nearest shop.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 03:38 PM   #24
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

I was asked to do the same thing for my OP39 White Dial. In this area, even that model is hard to get.

I put down a deposit and in 2 weeks, the watch was there.

One thing I saw was that they consider this a "special order" so once you order it you cannot change your mind. There are always exceptions but that is what it said on my order form.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:31 PM   #25
watchmaker
TechXpert

It’s not uncommon to be asked to pay in full or at least a decent deposit on a watch ordered for you. Some places won’t bother with this if the model is a relatively standard config (yellow DD, white dial) but if you want something a little more ‘out there’ they will often not order it without payment so they are not left with it if you change your mind on collection day.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:45 PM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

And all this time i felt they sent out the ravens :)

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:43 PM   #27
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
I have paid the entire fully refundable amount upfront, without a firm timeline. I received a popular watch within a few months.

azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:11 AM   #28
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Yes very common to require payment upon ordering an unusual piece or something expensive. They don’t want to be stuck with something that’s hard to sell or ties up money.

For example if they already have a DD in the case and you want a different one or are one of those people who have to be the first to touch a watch, they will likely ask you to pay upfront because if you flake they are now holding more money in inventory.

My understanding for allocation pieces is that they are distributed to the local Rolex reps/area managers who then decide which ADs receive the next piece.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:17 AM   #29
platinum574
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date, SD43, DJ
ADs order watches on a secure web based system. Corporate orders are filled first, then sold orders, then stock. As far as exactly when a particular watch is coming or what is inside the shipping box is not truly known until opened.
platinum574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:20 AM   #30
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

I had a DD40 ordered. AD asked for 5k deposit. Had the watch delivered in 2-3 weeks time.

For my Royal Oak, I paid in full. They said they had to do that for special orders. Got that piece in a month.

Good luck!
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote