The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 April 2019, 12:01 AM   #61
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpeace View Post
tudor is not at the same level as rolex, period
That's not a sentence without a period.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 12:11 AM   #62
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Before soms watch snobs might chime in .. I own quite a few Rolexes to so please don't call Tudor the Rolex wannabe or the cheap Rolex or whatever nonsense I read way too often when it comes to Tudor.

Are people still saying things like that about Tudor? I have a Black Bay Noir and love wearing it. Tudor’s been firing on all cylinders for the last few years, so I think any negative talk about them is irrelevant.

Great pics, by the way!

Enjoy your watches
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 12:24 AM   #63
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
Are people still saying things like that about Tudor? I have a Black Bay Noir and love wearing it. Tudor’s been firing on all cylinders for the last few years, so I think any negative talk about them is irrelevant.

Great pics, by the way!

Enjoy your watches
I think the hotter Tudor gets the more Rolex fans will get defensive. It really has gotten that we are just paying for the name on the dial.
Don't get me wrong I had a Rolex 216570 for over 4 years and loved it and had no qualms that I bought it cause it said, "I own a Rolex". I now wear my BBGMT daily and have no issue at all saying, "It's not a Rolex" when asked if it is.
Talking negatively about what any body chooses to wear just screams insecurity. I am just as happy for the guy who worked for years saving for a Tudor as I am for the guy who did the same for the Rolex.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 12:29 AM   #64
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
If they had a Mercedes hand I’d be in, but that snowflake hour hand isn’t for me.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 12:47 AM   #65
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I have had a Tudor BB S&G for about 14 months now, and I really like it on the bracelet. A few weeks ago I was at the AD and my sales person knew I was interested in the Tudor GMT, partly because I wanted a “Pepsi” to tide me over as I wait an eternity for a 126710. I tried it on and it just didn’t excite me the way the S&G did. So I bought a Heritage Chrono instead, it has a rotating Bezel with 12 hour markers on it so it’s a “poor man’s GMT” and it has two chrono registers (including a somewhat odd 45 minute register instead of 60 minutes) so it’s also a “poor man’s Daytona”. I enjoy the look on the wrist, I enjoy the hashmarked grip surfaces on the Bezel, crown and pushers, I like the unique dial, though not enough to buy the most unique blue and white dial.

Tudors are great watches, my Black Bay is right up there with my best Rolexes for accuracy, they are both are easy to read in daylight and have great lume for nighttime. Both watches, have a masculine, even macho ‘70s era vibe in my opinion, and are perfect for casual days, and while not ideal for the purpose because of size, can be worn under the cuff on suit days. My Tudors are a great part of my collection, and if I had to, I’d happily subsist with either of these watches as a one and only. I also have my eye on a Tudor Ranger, and the new S&G Tudor Chrono looks nice, and I look forward to evaluating it in person once my AD gets one.

Oh, and seven days later I got the call for a 126710, so everything worked out perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 30A291D9-83E6-41B7-9732-A41CA2F1CF90.jpeg (200.6 KB, 490 views)
File Type: jpeg 874EE9A7-C4EF-454F-97EF-40323FE6F33B.jpeg (192.9 KB, 488 views)

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 02:20 AM   #66
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
Tudor do indeed look very similar in fact sometimes I have difficulty telling which is which.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
I think I need a rubber strap for my Black Bay now
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 02:23 AM   #67
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by tie219 View Post
I think I need a rubber strap for my Black Bay now
It's the one from my Pelagos.

Old 23 April 2019, 02:24 AM   #68
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
It's the one from my Pelagos.

Very nice, looks great
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 02:37 AM   #69
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I like both brands. I also feel that Rolex watches are a bit more refined. In general, I like the Rolex models better than their Tudor equivalents. I don’t know if this is due to rolex’s history, stature or design. I like the Rolex Pepsi better than the Tudor homage. I like the Explorer better than the Tudor Ranger. I like Rolex divers better than Tudor Divers. One watch I seriously like is the Tudor North Flag. But I bought it and sold it - to get my Explorer 2. I’m not a collector. At any time I generally have one watch that gets the majority of wrist time. For me, that’s generally going to be a Rolex.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 02:37 AM   #70
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
I agree 100% with the op , I can’t see the difference and I’m not about to pop the case back off and ogle at the parachrom hairspring and shout from the rooftop lol.
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 02:46 AM   #71
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
You pays your money and takes your choice. I have both, like them for different reasons. Snobbery is simply childish and mean spirited. I hope you never fall off of your oh so special hobby horse.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 03:06 AM   #72
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

OP, thanks for your thoughts about Rolex and Tudor. Problem with this subject is that there will always be someone on the forum that will put down the Tudor brand because it makes them feel better and less insecure. The truth is that only true watch enthusiasts who are in it for the appreciation of the design and mechanics of this wonderful hobby will be able to understand what you're saying. The 'enthusiasts' who are mainly interested in the image and economics will keep coming with the garbage 'poor mans Rolex' argument.
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 03:07 AM   #73
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I don’t disagree with this, but if we are being fair, the exact same should he said about Submariner to Sea Dweller
The Pelagos and Sea Dweller are the “serious” dive watch in each lineup.
The Submariner has been made in date, no date, two tone, yellow gold, white gold, green bezel and dial, blue bezel and dial, black bezel....certainly more of a fashion piece. They don’t even have fully gradiated bezels.
This is why I personally like my Pelagos and Deepsea. All what you are looking for.
I'm not saying that the Sub is a true Dive watch in all its current iterations. It certainly was as both the black dialed/bezeled Sub and Sub Date. In all its current forms it can at least be quickly adjusted for a wet suit. They don't have fully gradated bezel inserts but that was what was called for to do the job in the past. The new fully marked insert is a relatively new addition to the line. The Tudors with the exception of the Pelagos don't have that ability. Even the "cloth straps/Natos" warn that they aren't to be worn in the water. Clearly Rolex's focus is on luxury and not on providing tool watches.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 03:08 AM   #74
deluxman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
What is the typical price you get on the BB58 from AD?
deluxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 03:09 AM   #75
deluxman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Is it cheaper to buy from another country?
deluxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 03:13 AM   #76
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I really like the newer Tudor watches and love the earlier Tudor Subs. I have a deposit down on a bracelet version BB58 which should be arriving in next couple of weeks, so looking forward to checking it out.
Old 23 April 2019, 03:14 AM   #77
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Love my Tudor it's a "proper" tool watch. I don't care about all this it's a cheap Rolex, to be honest it ticks boxes for me and for that reason I'm a happy chap, it cost 55% less than a Rolex too and is very durable.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 03:17 AM   #78
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
If they had a Mercedes hand I’d be in, but that snowflake hour hand isn’t for me.
It's really not that bad!!! But I get what you mean.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 03:25 AM   #79
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
These threads always go the same way, always. Same as yesterday same as tomorrow. But is entertaining.
Old 23 April 2019, 03:30 AM   #80
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I like Tudor, but I like my 5 digit Rolex references even more.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 03:44 AM   #81
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Icon14

OP... Shhhhhhhhhhh please! Don’t keep bigging Tudor up, we don’t need any ‘Rolex only’ fanboys turning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
To me, seems like people buy Tudor when they just can’t quite afford the comparable Rolex, which IMO is far more refined.

I could never bring myself to buy a Tudor as I would just kick myself for not buying the superior product.

It would (for me) be like buying the Hyundai Genesis instead of getting the Mercedes the Genesis was built to imitate. To me, it’s still just a Hyundai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fact they don’t compare to modern Rolex is a good thing for me and many others who don’t like the look of modern ‘bling’ Rolex or the modern image of the brand (kind of highlighted by your post really)
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 03:50 AM   #82
nick c
Banned

I love them equally. And also wear other brands as well. And don’t care what negative crapy people saying.

nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 04:11 AM   #83
Burlington
"TRF" Member

The value which is placed on brand never ceases to amaze me.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 04:46 AM   #84
Fallranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk (116610LV)
I watched an interesting Brain Games episode where a baker made two identical cakes with the same ingredients, sold one for $70 and the other for $15. When people where asked which one tasted better a vast majority said the more expensive one tasted much better. Point is our minds are programmed to associate price with quality and when we spend a crap load of money on something we will defend it to the death, even subconsciously.

Old 23 April 2019, 01:15 PM   #85
snyde
"TRF" Member

Only watch guys/ gals buy and wear Tudor. The rest of the world doesn’t know it exists. If someone is wearing a Tudor, chances are they have a nice collection at home.
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 01:33 PM   #86
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

My first luxury watch was a Tudor Black Bay House 79230N. I loved that watch - it was beautiful, and insanely accurate.. I added a 5 digit tritium sub last year and found that I ended up reaching for it over the black bay... not necessarily because it's a Rolex or more expensive but because of the profile. Having both in my collection seemed a little to redundant.. (keep in mind I've seen members that have multiple variations of submariners, etc. etc.)

I ended up realizing how chunky the black bay looked on my wrist and very "slab like" as many owners / past owners have stated. The dimensions of the 14060 just work better on my wrist which is why I've decided to move the piece.

That being said, I still think Tudor is an awesome brand and I would not hesitate to acquire another piece. I think the dimensions of the BB58 vs. the original 41mm black bay are a lot more ideal.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 01:35 PM   #87
horntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
I love my Tudor. I love my Rolexes. My Speedy rocks, and I always smile when I wear my Hamilton Pan America on NATO. The fun of this hobby is that there are lots of great watches at different price points, styles, histories, etc. But, do I think the Tudor is the same quality as any of my Rolexes? No.
horntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:40 AM   #88
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:48 AM   #89
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Tudor brings some serious value to the table, which is why I think they are great. Their sports lineup is great, but in my personal opinion they can’t keep up with their dress watches. Not one appeals to me, even though they are phenomenally priced. Otherwise I would be proud to own one (and have owned several in the past)

I must also say that I love, love, love many of the vintage Tudor watches. Blue snowflake, 7032,79260 etc make me go wild.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:25 AM   #90
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpeace View Post
tudor is not at the same level as rolex, period
Tudor is not supposed to be at the same level as a Rolex.

That doesn't make Tudor a bad watch.

Tudor and Rolex are two different brands.

I like some Rolex watches and dislike others.

I like some Tudor watches and dislike others.

This applies to any watch brand.

I buy the ones I like and can afford and I don't buy the ones I don't like or can't afford.

What the hell is wrong with that?

Really, saying that a Tudor is a poor man's Rolex is pretty much like saying that a Rolex is a poor man's Patek and makes about as much sense.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote