The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2019, 10:36 PM   #151
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Tudor is nice but I think they've milked the "snowflake" theme to death. The variety OP speaks of is not really there. Look at the three pics posted - it's the same watch! Different color bezel, that's all.

I do wish they'd come out with a SS Pelagos.
Similar to the Rolex GMT's and Sub's. Basically the same watches. Similar to the Tudors you mention above.

But I agree about the Pelagos, if they made it in SS I would be all over it.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:50 PM   #152
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post

I do wish they'd come out with a SS Pelagos.

If they made it smaller I’d be all over it.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:05 AM   #153
peterp
"TRF" Member

I would not swap explorer for any of tudors.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2019, 08:57 AM   #154
arosado
Banned

Watch: Rolex, AP & Omega
"Subs ? Well here again for me the Black bay is the better one". I love Tudors but that quote is going too far.
arosado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 03:59 PM   #155
mrfreaz
"TRF" Member

My short answer is that YES, I think Rolex is the better made watch. But is it 3 to 4 times better? NO! Twice as good? Maybe. Anything over that is paying for the prestige factor. I tend to like Tudor's styling better, and in general, find the watches more up to date.

Tudor is owned by Rolex and even designed, assembled and tested by them. So, it's not like they are getting them made cheap down in China and just licensing out the name or something. But, I think a better comparison would be to brands closer to their price range... Omega, Breitling, and for the lower priced Tudors, Baume and Mercier and Longines. That is really Tudor's target market. Put up against those, I'd say that Tudor is just as legitimate a brand.
mrfreaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 05:33 PM   #156
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreaz View Post
My short answer is that YES, I think Rolex is the better made watch. But is it 3 to 4 times better? NO! Twice as good? Maybe. Anything over that is paying for the prestige factor. I tend to like Tudor's styling better, and in general, find the watches more up to date.

Tudor is owned by Rolex and even designed, assembled and tested by them. So, it's not like they are getting them made cheap down in China and just licensing out the name or something. But, I think a better comparison would be to brands closer to their price range... Omega, Breitling, and for the lower priced Tudors, Baume and Mercier and Longines. That is really Tudor's target market. Put up against those, I'd say that Tudor is just as legitimate a brand.
I concur
Old 24 September 2019, 06:03 PM   #157
TreiseKL
"TRF" Member

My biggest stop from trying Tudor is the fact that everyone I know who had Tudor eventually ends up selling them to get a Rolex.

But probably as equally important is the high rate of defects on new Tudors.
Old 24 September 2019, 06:12 PM   #158
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I want that new GMT....but going to wait until they sort out the date wheel problem.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 06:40 PM   #159
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Black Bay Chrono Dark
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 09:17 PM   #160
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreiseKL View Post
My biggest stop from trying Tudor is the fact that everyone I know who had Tudor eventually ends up selling them to get a Rolex.

And how many might that be? All my years collecting watches and NEVER met a Tudor owner who eventually felt the need to sell to get a Rolex. You need to hang out with a less superficial crowd.

And if defects deter you, Rolex would be off your list as well.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 09:24 PM   #161
taylce
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Rolex offer super products with excellent price but is it superior/comparable to Tudor, YES. It is like Lexus and Toyota. And in some cases Toyota models are more desirable or better looking than the Lexus but that is the exception case.
I love the AUDEMARS PIGUET OFFSHORE DIVER LIMITED EDITION CERAMIC BLK/ORANGE

Cheers!!!
taylce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 09:41 PM   #162
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:

I sold my 216570 after getting my Tudor BBGMT and have no desire to have a Rolex SS piece in my collection anymore. Now PM is a different story.

As to your second point the only thing I have heard recently is the BBGMT date wheel issue. Mine had this and RSC sorted it out in 4 weeks. I think when it comes to defects at least on this forum, Tudor is a target. Look through some threads on this forum and others and you can find just as many Rolex issues.
derekhayden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 10:09 PM   #163
tanask211
"TRF" Member

Having both rolex and tudor watches in my collection, the quality versus the price for tudor is good value. Rolex can be overpriced esp with current market selling above retail.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
tanask211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 10:40 PM   #164
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Love Rolex but this is why I like Tudor even more

Try the new Black Bay dark “All Blacks” chrono. It’s amazing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 12:38 AM   #165
djgallo
Banned

Tudor has a great history of their own. From the snowflake, to the big block chrono’s to their new heritage line. I own both Tudor and Rolex and each are fully appreciated. I don’t compare them to each other, just accept each watch for the uniqueness/design and enjoy the hell out of all of them....
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 06:11 AM   #166
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
For me the Tudor line is mostly too large. The Divers in general lack the dive extensions so they aren't truly dive watches. Also in general they don't perform well in holding their value. For now I'll just say no.
A bit early on the value statement lol. Outright wrong if you look at the Tudor subs
I’m making money on my red rose eta 41. Holds value fine for a mass produced watch, for now.
As for dive watch extensions the pélagos has something far superior to the cheap Rolex dive extensions.

I have both Rolex and Tudor and my Tudors get a lot of wrist time, nobody knows what they are.
Go to Spain on holiday and every doucher has a 114060. It’s off putting, and largely why I find Tudor so refreshing
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 06:13 AM   #167
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:

I’ve done the opposite. Those people you mention sound whack as fok
A bit sad actually. Every person who stopped me on the street to talk about my BB, was a pure WIS. Refreshing
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 06:15 AM   #168
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Thanks, OP for trying to explain. I never saw the appeal and I still don't, but you can keep trying. Would I swap my Rolex for 10 Tudors? Never.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 07:09 AM   #169
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
And how many might that be? All my years collecting watches and NEVER met a Tudor owner who eventually felt the need to sell to get a Rolex. You need to hang out with a less superficial crowd.

And if defects deter you, Rolex would be off your list as well.
dP

Just more unsubstantiated claims that people make up on the fly as usual Dan. Sad state of the watch enthusiast community.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 09:29 AM   #170
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnersaurus View Post
Each to their own but no way would I choose a Tudor over a Rolex.
I concur. Will agree to disagree with folks who prefer Tudor over Rolex. I wonder if prices were reversed, would they still feel the same way
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 09:37 AM   #171
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

I really think a Tudor Sub-forum should be created on this site. All the Tudor enthusiasts can gather and chat about their Tudor watches. Rolex General Discussion Forum should be reserved for Rolex only.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 03:26 AM   #172
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Now thinking about buying another one
Any input ?
The Pelagos blue is an option, the new bronze is gorgeous ( but since I have the first one not sure if that is the best option. Or why not go for a Chronograph Heritage Blue ?
LOL
Wel Since that post I bought a few extra

The Pelagos bleu and that other Bronze
But also a Harrods, Qatar dial and the limited edition Chrono All Black
Old 6 February 2020, 03:34 AM   #173
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
LOL

Wel Since that post I bought a few extra

The Pelagos bleu and that other Bronze

But also a Harrods, Qatar dial and the limited edition Chrono All Black

Very nice! I have added another myself since I last posted on here. I am looking forward to Tudor’s presentation at Basel a lot more than Rolex. Probably be more variations of the black bay but I hope I am wrong
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 03:40 AM   #174
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
I am completely with you. I passed on a BLRO for the Tudor GMT and I did it in a heartbeat. The difference is so minimal or negligible it makes the price difference incomprehensible. A phenomenal brand that I prefer to almost any brand out there.
However, we should not forget that Rolex is more about the history and heritage, about inventions, developments, trademarks and support / sponsorship of the best of the best.
Wearing a Rolex is more than the sum pf its parts in my opinion.

Quote:
Before soms watch snobs might chime in .. I own quite a few Rolexes to so please don't call Tudor the Rolex wannabe or the cheap Rolex or whatever nonsense I read way too often when it comes to Tudor.

The difference in quality is barely noticeable and imo sometimes there isn't any difference, the only bigger difference is the price. And imo this difference is just to big. If Tudor would belong to another group I'm pretty sure they would ask a lot more for these watches. If they belonged to Richemont, Swatch or LVMH I'm sure Tudor would start at EUR 5000-6000 for let's say a black bay, EUR 6000-7000 for the GMT and EUR 7000-8000 for a chronograph.
Comparing them with brands in this price category I would even still call the cheap.

Besides, what's the problem that it belongs to Rolex and why people always refer to them as a cheap Rolex just because they belong to the sms group?
Do these people call JLC a cheap Lange ( Richemont group) or is Omega a cheap Breguet ( Swatch)
I mean, these are different brands within one group and it"s just unnecessary to compare them.
But somehow Tudor doesn't get away with it.

Anyway, for me sometimes the Tudor is even better. Owning the Tudor GMT and Rolex Pepsi GMT ca say I do prefer the Tudor and it even feels better on the wrist. For the looks I prefer the Tudor ( matte dial, prefer the Oyster Rivet bracelet above a Jubilee, And the bezel ic imo nicer than the shiny ceramic)
Technically they're about the same in my opinion but the Tudor is 200M waterproof and the Rolex only 100. On the other hand, if one would test the Rolex I'm sure it would dive 200 M without any problem too.

Another big advantage when talking about Tudor is the diversity they offer. Rolex is a bit too conservative. a black PVD / DLC Tudor, a Bronze, sometimes something limited .... Not necessary but fun and enjoyable.

Anyway, here are soms pics I took from a few Tudor I do like a lot

the black bay ETA Noir

The Bronze

and the GMT

Now thinking about buying another one
Any input ?
The Pelagos blue is an option, the new bronze is gorgeous ( but since I have the first one not sure if that is the best option. Or why not go for a Chronograph Heritage Blue ?

So the GMT ? I prefer the Tudor above Rolex
Subs ? Well here again for me the Black bay is the better one
Chronographs ... Rolex. Love my 116500 white and black and Tudor doesn't't have something that comes close enough
Old 6 February 2020, 04:10 AM   #175
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Love my Tudors, love my Rolexes.

But currently, I find the entire Rolex 'situation' very off-putting, and in my opinion not fitting for such an elevated and storied brand - which is a little ironic when the majority of Tudor/Rolex debates seem to deem Tudor as the lesser of the two.

At least you can buy a Tudor without compromising your integrity.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 04:18 AM   #176
O BZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwang0520 View Post
i would suggest black bay chrono.....completes the sea, air, and land collection
Such a well built piece. Miss mine.
O BZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 04:18 AM   #177
dmb359
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

There are a handful of Tudor's that I like and own or have owned, but I don't think they compare to Rolex on the wrist.

I also think all the BB's are too thick (except the 58). I wish the case was a little slimmer and sleeker, it would improve them a lot for me.
Old 6 February 2020, 04:33 AM   #178
rodolfolascano
"TRF" Member

If you can buy a Tudor, you can wait a bit and save a little more to buy a Rolex instead....So I really don't think it's a matter of being "poor". As a matter of fact, no poor person will be able to afford a Tudor, since it's not a cheap brand neither...
It all goes down to taste and the love for watches and collecting them. As for me, I have a Hulk and a Batman (sorry to the ones who hate these nicknames) and I don't have a Tudor yet...but I will get one eventually, for sure!
They are pretty nice watches, with their own original touches and milestones...
rodolfolascano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 10:09 AM   #179
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
Love my Tudors, love my Rolexes.

But currently, I find the entire Rolex 'situation' very off-putting, and in my opinion not fitting for such an elevated and storied brand - which is a little ironic when the majority of Tudor/Rolex debates seem to deem Tudor as the lesser of the two.

At least you can buy a Tudor without compromising your integrity.
Hyperbole much?
Old 6 February 2020, 11:04 AM   #180
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

I just wish the winding action felt better. The GMT has almost no discernible resistance or tooth, if that makes any sense, which I find actually makes it somewhat difficult or frustrating to wind when necessary. Rolex movements feel completely different, if not satisfying, to wind.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote