The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 May 2019, 01:56 AM   #1
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

5070G .. what’s your thoughts on this piece?

Lately due to all the hype concentrated on the nautilus range, I see the price on the 5070G are quite reasonable.. I manage to find one in exceptionally good mint condition which is rare.. thinking about pulling the trigger.. I had been eyeing the 5070P for quite sometime now but no deal yet..

I love to hear your thoughts on the G.. I only know that the one to get is the P.. I am clueless on the G J and R.. they seems very reasonably priced compared to the P.

Thank you for your kind feedbacks in advance.

Cheers!
Jen
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 01:59 AM   #2
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I like it...I don't love it. The P is rare but absurdly expensive for what it is IMHO.

I think the G is still a little too expensive currently and personally would wait a bit...but if you love it you won't lose on it long term.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 02:56 AM   #3
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

I think the G is the nicest version. Not as collectable as the P, but the dial is easier to read and I like dressier watches with white dials and sportier watches with black dials. For me this is a dressier piece, so I prefer white.

Agree, price is reasonable. I was outbid for one at the Geneva auction last week Monday.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 04:07 AM   #4
WatchYouGonnaDo
"TRF" Member

It is an amazing and fantastic reference....and at these prices, a must have
It won’t disappoint
WatchYouGonnaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 04:53 AM   #5
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Saw one in person recently and it's just beautiful. The simple elegance is appealing and agree "reasonable" in price compared to other references these days. Think it's a lasting value reference.
Old 22 May 2019, 05:15 AM   #6
tiberiustime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Platinum
I personally prefer the look of the 5170G fwiw
tiberiustime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 07:28 AM   #7
Peter Shore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiustime View Post
Spot on
Peter Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 08:57 AM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i personally prefer the look of the 5170g fwiw
+1
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 09:02 AM   #9
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I feel like if you're willing to put the coin towards a 5070g, why not go all the way with a 5170P? :)
Bearxj86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 09:06 AM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
i personally prefer the look of the 5170g fwiw
+3
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 01:57 PM   #11
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

The 5070g is one of my absolute favorite watches...I actually like all versions of the reference, but the p and g really get me going.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 02:07 PM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I think the 5070J is the coolest but what do I know!
Old 22 May 2019, 04:18 PM   #13
Peter Shore
Banned

The beauty of this hobby is that we all have different tastes...(well except the 15 million people trying to get a Nautilus at retail) so there is no correct answer to this question. I am for one....not one of the fans of this reference as I am heavily biased against chronographs and way to lazy to actually wind a watch myself!!! The anomaly I find is that the PP community continually lambasts the manufacturer about the lazy way it designs watches (versus ALS) where any movement is shoved into a new case. This results in small movement to case sizes and of course sometimes the aesthetics on the dial being compromised. In fact the 5524 and 5196P being the largest attractors of criticism. However we take a CH 27 - 70 movement and stick it into a 42 mm case and everyone prostrates themselves on the ground heralding a new era in the PP product life cycle. The smaller movement also results in the slightly bug eyed look of the two chronodials. At 42 mm its also too large and too thick and who cares about a lemania movement!! Its a bit like looking for a zenith Daytona!! I have no doubt that the WIS will shout down my personal reservations about the reference but I am not a purist. I buy watches that I like and try not be swayed by what the latest fad is (very easy to slide into the euphoria of the day) so if $50 000 was on the table and I had a choice between 5170G or 5070G the former gets my vote. I do however think the G is the nicest out the metals in that series tho. What do I really know to be honest...I also think the blue dial 5711 is totally underwhelming....so ignore what anyone says and buy whatever tugs at your heart...they the ones that last longest in a collection and give the most enjoyment.
Peter Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 05:48 PM   #14
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Shore View Post
The beauty of this hobby is that we all have different tastes...(well except the 15 million people trying to get a Nautilus at retail) so there is no correct answer to this question. I am for one....not one of the fans of this reference as I am heavily biased against chronographs and way to lazy to actually wind a watch myself!!! The anomaly I find is that the PP community continually lambasts the manufacturer about the lazy way it designs watches (versus ALS) where any movement is shoved into a new case. This results in small movement to case sizes and of course sometimes the aesthetics on the dial being compromised. In fact the 5524 and 5196P being the largest attractors of criticism. However we take a CH 27 - 70 movement and stick it into a 42 mm case and everyone prostrates themselves on the ground heralding a new era in the PP product life cycle. The smaller movement also results in the slightly bug eyed look of the two chronodials. At 42 mm its also too large and too thick and who cares about a lemania movement!! Its a bit like looking for a zenith Daytona!! I have no doubt that the WIS will shout down my personal reservations about the reference but I am not a purist. I buy watches that I like and try not be swayed by what the latest fad is (very easy to slide into the euphoria of the day) so if $50 000 was on the table and I had a choice between 5170G or 5070G the former gets my vote. I do however think the G is the nicest out the metals in that series tho. What do I really know to be honest...I also think the blue dial 5711 is totally underwhelming....so ignore what anyone says and buy whatever tugs at your heart...they the ones that last longest in a collection and give the most enjoyment.
No one can disagree with buy 'what you like' being a great watch mantra.
Old 22 May 2019, 07:14 PM   #15
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
I like it...I don't love it. The P is rare but absurdly expensive for what it is IMHO.

I think the G is still a little too expensive currently and personally would wait a bit...but if you love it you won't lose on it long term.
You think the price will drop further? So far I have seen the price climbed and halted and climb slowly and currently it is stagnant. I have yet to see it decrease then again that’s only for the pass few years observation.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 22 May 2019, 10:34 PM   #16
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Spot on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I feel like if you're willing to put the coin towards a 5070g, why not go all the way with a 5170P? :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
+3
I tried the 5170P a few times but the lugs (slim and long) are a tad too thin n the gap between the leather strap and the case is too far apart hence don’t fit me well otherwise it would have been an easy choice n saving too. I got great discount for 5170p last year but I passed .. that said.. I am yet to try on the 5070 on my wrist .. 😅
Old 22 May 2019, 10:38 PM   #17
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am also looking at 5004 .. almost pulled the trigger only if the one I was looking at has the full proper paperwork.. the seller “said” he has the paperwork but didn’t bring along.. maybe when he will the full set I will seal the deal.
Old 23 May 2019, 12:15 AM   #18
Sam Philip
Banned

I prefer the 5070G compared to the 5170G. One of the reasons is in 5070 series the centre point of the chronograph subdials are in line with the centre wheel pinion and in 5170 series the centre point of the chronograph subdials lie below the centre wheel pinion.

I think 5070G, J and R prices seem to be reasonable compared to the demand and numbers produced. I don't think those will go down any time soon.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 01:23 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
I tried the 5170P a few times but the lugs (slim and long) are a tad too thin n the gap between the leather strap and the case is too far apart hence don’t fit me well otherwise it would have been an easy choice n saving too. I got great discount for 5170p last year but I passed .. that said.. I am yet to try on the 5070 on my wrist .. ��
How about the new 5172, looks a nice piece.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 06:45 AM   #20
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Lately due to all the hype concentrated on the nautilus range, I see the price on the 5070G are quite reasonable.. I manage to find one in exceptionally good mint condition which is rare.. thinking about pulling the trigger.. I had been eyeing the 5070P for quite sometime now but no deal yet..

I love to hear your thoughts on the G.. I only know that the one to get is the P.. I am clueless on the G J and R.. they seems very reasonably priced compared to the P.

Thank you for your kind feedbacks in advance.

Cheers!
Jen
curious, what would be considered good, 'reasonable' price on these?

I VASTLY prefer the 5070 to the 5170 in terms of symmetry of the dial layout, the case aesthetics, and dial fonts used...the 5070 is a great balance of sport/functional and dress.

of course, one should always heed his/her own personal affinity for a watch more than anything else
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 08:57 PM   #21
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
curious, what would be considered good, 'reasonable' price on these?

I VASTLY prefer the 5070 to the 5170 in terms of symmetry of the dial layout, the case aesthetics, and dial fonts used...the 5070 is a great balance of sport/functional and dress.

of course, one should always heed his/her own personal affinity for a watch more than anything else
Price generally starts from US$55K full set for G, R & J.. some start from as low as 51k for non full set.

P starts from around $140 full set..

Price really depends on condition too.

Looks like a bargain at this moment considering basic nautilus 5711 steel sell at 50k..

I own multiple pieces of Nautilus n honestly.. i can’t understand why n what’s the hype about the nautilus. Workmanship is not exceptional and it certainly not my most comfortable watch, it’s quite “loud” too.

(For reference, I own 5711/1A white n blue, 5712/1Ax2, 5712R, 5980/1A white and 5980/1Rx2)
Old 7 June 2019, 10:37 PM   #22
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Price generally starts from US$55K full set for G, R & J.. some start from as low as 51k for non full set.

Looks like a bargain at this moment considering basic nautilus 5711 steel sell at 50k..

I own multiple pieces of Nautilus n honestly.. i can’t understand why n what’s the hype about the nautilus. Workmanship is not exceptional and it certainly not my most comfortable watch, it’s quite “loud” too.

(For reference, I own 5711/1A white n blue, 5712/1Ax2, 5712R, 5980/1A white and 5980/1Rx2)
Obvious question, for someone who says they don't understand the Nautilus hype, why do you own '8'.
Old 7 June 2019, 10:48 PM   #23
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Obvious question, for someone who says they don't understand the Nautilus hype, why do you own '8'.

"Because I can."
Old 8 June 2019, 12:27 AM   #24
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:

Thanks, sounds a bit lower than the last time I looked - asking prices (at least) then seemed to be low-to-mid 60k’s for the G
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 01:34 AM   #25
S O G
"TRF" Member

This is always subjective but for chronograph at this price point, I would go with a Lange Datograph. It may not be as "sleek" but it stunning in its execution.
S O G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 01:53 AM   #26
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bought mine CHEAP.

I paid slightly below US$50K for 5980/1R for example.
Old 8 June 2019, 01:54 AM   #27
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post

"Because I can."
That too..
Old 8 June 2019, 08:20 AM   #28
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

5070s are forum favorite watches. I dissent. I never quite liked its case and massive bezel. IMHO, if you’re out there for a Patek chrono, any watch in the 5170 line looks nicer, wears better due to the case size and carries a superior movement. The one and only point in which 5070 wins is rarity, which to me is not a characteristic of the watch itself but a market condition that would never push me into buying a watch that I don’t otherwise like. My two cents.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 07:01 PM   #29
unknown
"TRF" Member

Read the 2 pages about this watch in the newest Patek Magazine.
It's an icon and even at Patek they realize they made something very special
Old 9 June 2019, 07:32 PM   #30
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I am surprised to see 5070 G's at these price levels, especially when I look at the absurdity of secondary market prices of certain references. To me it's an icon and at today's price a relative bargain when you consider you can have for similar price of a 5711.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote