The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2019, 08:03 PM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Time To Log Out Perhaps For Good..

I have been thinking quite seriously in hanging my hat up on forum,not in the best of health and on high doses of morphine now to cut down my everyday pain.Afraid today Rolex knowledge takes second place on forum.Now most topics it safe, will this go up in value,silly nicknames,if they discontinue this or that, and the rest of the daily flood of ££££$$$ posts. But forum has given me great pleasure over the past 14 odd years,and over the past two to three years kept me focused and taken my mind off my health problems ,and once again many thanks to all those who sent me past and future get well cards.Now over these forum years I have seen a great change in today's Rolex watch owners,today forum is getting more like Facebook with, is it safe, can I wear my Rolex doing this or that.Or things like alignments points,will this or that go up in value what size box,plastic stickers, even bezel protectors, watch running 3 seconds fast should I send it in .Gone now are the days of buying and wearing one of the finest mechanical watches on this planet because its a Rolex.I sometimes wonder why some buy a Rolex perhaps to wear the brand, or again perhaps look at me I am wearing a Rolex.The history of the brand seems to me to be forgotten on forum, as now Rolex watches are seen as little more than alignments or ££££$$$$$ by many.And being a mod just like the rest of the mods and admin have to read most of these threads daily,and sometimes I have a chuckle but many times it bring a tear to this old gits eyes to see what Rolex means today to many of the members on forum.With many of these types of questions they should already know or research before even thinking of buying a Rolex.Afraid as you get to my mature age my brain is like a big store cupboard, I know it is all in there, but sometimes now takes longer to get the right stuff out.And will add just hope I have brought a bit of Rolex knowledge to the forum and some have learnt a bit over the years.And if I have offended any member then I sincerely apologise but I always give a no bullsh#te answer and believe in calling a spade a spade.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:06 PM   #2
Brew
"TRF" Member

No. Please.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:11 PM   #3
tmo8320
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600 Mark I dial
Come on, mate...stick around. There ARE folks, just like you. The love of watches is not dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tmo8320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:12 PM   #4
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your health problems. But it is good to have a distraction from the everyday challenges in life. Maybe you are having a bad day, but it seems the forum gives you pleasure and purpose, even though times have changed. Hang in there.

Best wishes.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:12 PM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Peter, you would/will be sorely missed. It may not seem like it but your knowledge is on of the most redeeming factors about the Forums. Like buying a watch however, there is only one criteria which is important; it needs to be right for the wearer. None of the members can say what is right for you. One thing is certain you can always check in if you feel like it. I consider myself lucky to have read your posts and learned from you even if it may not seem that you were appreciated. God bless you in what ever you decide! -Lee Fisk

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:13 PM   #6
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I agree with you 100% over the stupid posts I had seen over the recent months/years but please stay ! Ever since I had logged back into this website 2 plus years ago I had learned so much & quite a bit of that knowledge was from you. You are in essence what TRF is all about with the wealth of your knowledge.
Old 23 May 2019, 08:15 PM   #7
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
Don’t go unless you feel you really, really need to.

You have been a mine of useful information over the years and have always offered me helpful advice over the many years I have been here, albeit under different user names as I forgot my password and could never reset it :(

Take care
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:16 PM   #8
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I hear you padi. Sorry for your pain as well. There are good members and good posts still.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:18 PM   #9
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
It's all good to say goodbye.

There are so many new posters here with very different interests. I too got tired of repeating the same simple solution to the market situation. It's quite boring and totally agree on the nicknames being awful.

You aren't missing out on much. Please take care of your health and enjoy time with your loved ones and any other passions that still have a hold of your heart.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:20 PM   #10
trelane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Series 1
As someone who has come in late, it’s a sad state of affairs to be into Rolex. I felt the same way about headphones and speakers. The chase was fun for a while, but then it just became obsessive measurbator and investment talk.

With that said, this forum is fun and I hope you can stick around a while longer. Wisdom is in short supply when so many only care about the almighty dollar.

Movado Museum Sport
trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:22 PM   #11
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

We have never formally, nor informally met, and I am a relative new person to the forum. I have always enjoyed your posts but agree that “life” comes first as does your health and family. All the best to you in your endeavors where ever they may take you.
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:23 PM   #12
munichblue
"TRF" Member

This is not good news, but one have to respect your decision, especially if it is also driven by health restrictions.

I wish you all the best for your future and, above all, good health.
munichblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:24 PM   #13
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
You are not alone in your thoughts on how the forum has changed.

Sorry to read about your health, and unless your mod duties reduce the time needed for you to focus on more important things, namely your health, I would much like to continue reading your informative posts and having you part of this forum.
Old 23 May 2019, 08:25 PM   #14
ale70
"TRF" Member

I sure am the last person on this Forum that has the right to give you any suggestion, but I can guarantee you that every single day, alone, I look at my beautiful GMT BLNR and smile, tens of times, unseen by anyone else. I think that is the spirit of this wonderful creation. It's just the pleasure of beauty and the secrets of a machine way too complicated for me to understand....Be well. Stick around.
Old 23 May 2019, 08:27 PM   #15
theloxmyth
Banned

YOU are one of the best.
theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:28 PM   #16
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

There is lots of us here that you wouldn't even be aware of, that enjoy your posts and read your input into a conversation ...

And there is lots of us that feel exactly the same as you about the nature of posts in recent times. I tend to just ignore them now unless I'm feeling particularly grumpy

But we still come back, everyday for most of us. Because we still love the watches.

Good luck & peace be with you whatever you decide
Old 23 May 2019, 08:29 PM   #17
Lifeisarolliecoaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: This space
I’m fairly new to the forum (and yet to acquire my first Rolex) and I appreciate your posts as you say it as you see it but understand if the changing nature of the posts is draining you. I have no reference point to how things were two years ago, my reality is the unusual supply situation but I am patient and hopeful that my chosen pieces will arrive. This forum is second only to the Rolex website in terms of internet usage and some of the knowledge gleaned is priceless and I’m glad I haven’t rushed head first in purchasing. Whatever you decide I give thanks for your contribution
Lifeisarolliecoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:32 PM   #18
Xyza0722
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me go
Your health is the most important thing...nothing else matters then that and I’m sorry to hear about your personal situation.
I’ve enjoyed your insight and informative posts in the past but I do agree 100% this forum has not gone in the direction I would have hoped with the same boring threads as you mentioned, $$$, business strategies and silly nick names. Like other forums I’m a member of, mostly bickering and jewelry people discussing nothing to do with horological issues....

Take care of yourself
Xyza0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:33 PM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I agree this forum has changed a lot from being about watches to what the watch represents, but you see this reflected all over with desired products as strong money markets but mostly social media have made everything and everyone more materialistic and greedy and cynical. It's a shame but that is the way the world is going, there is a BBC TV show on now called Years and Years and quite frankly it is a terrifying look into our teched-to-death future, we are probably the last age of true humans, from now on humans and tech/robots will start to become more of an amalgam.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:35 PM   #20
watchmaker
TechXpert

Your health and well being are the most important things to consider and I fully respect your decision; whatever it ends up being. All the best Peter
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:35 PM   #21
ttomczak
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
In the end, we must always do what’s best for ourselves and our family.

Change is never easy, and one of the great things about you, and other mods was the consistency you all bring to this forum. Yes, in the 10 years I have been on, things have changed dramatically from when I first got on, to some of the really inane posts we see today, but at the core, we still have a lot of great people on here.

If you do go through with this, and totally understand your health issues, you will be sorely missed for you wit, insight and levelheaded comments you bring to the table.

Best wishes to what ever you decide, and prayers to you for getting better Peter!

Thomas

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:36 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I hope you continue to stick around Peter, I think TRF needs you.

Be well my friend
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:37 PM   #23
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
Sorry to hear about your health. You've always helped keep balance with knowledge and as you describe the amount of bs posts has grown exponentially but that highlights the gold even more. Its those bits that have been great to read. All the best and hope to keep seeing you post.
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:37 PM   #24
garbanzo
"TRF" Member

That would be a huge loss.

As a newbie here, I’ve learned to appreciate your knowledge in the world of watches.

Whatever you decide to do, all the best.
Old 23 May 2019, 08:39 PM   #25
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
I’ve never met you but your forthright views and answers have always tickled me.

The forum has changed and not for the better but hopefully things can change in time.....

I’m not too hopeful as the landscape has completely changed and Rolex now is a commodity.

I’m full of distain for the way the brand is going but try to appreciate the watches I do have.

I struggle with my health also and sometimes this forum does help.

Take care.

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:39 PM   #26
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
I always enjoy reading your post especially the technical ones. Sorry to hear of your health issues. I wish you the best padi56.good luck and hope you stick around hear on the forum. I think there are a lot of BS post which is fine. I’ve posted many. However a lot of guys use this forum as an outlet from stressful lives. It is a form of entertainment as well as gaining insightful info about our hobby.
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:40 PM   #27
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
All the best x27, Peter.. will not be the same here without you sir
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:42 PM   #28
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
As others have said, it’s not just watch forums which have suffered the value proposition type posts. Classic car forums, guitar forums, art, sneakers/ trainers, wine; it’s all forums for appreciating luxury goods.

We can’t blame social media though because I think it’s done more good than harm. It’s torn down barriers and made markets more transparent and increased competition.

I don’t think the genuine enthusiasts have gone away, they’ve just been joined by an overwhelming number of speculators and posers.

Hope you stick around and wish you the the best of health for many years to come.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:44 PM   #29
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Very sorry to hear Peter, I wish you the best for your health.

I completely agree, this is no longer a fun place to be and for your own sake, make the right decision.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:48 PM   #30
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Peter, I understand the issues and obviously your health and well being are paramount. I love your no nonsense posts as do many other members. We love ya brother, especially on the moderator side of the forum. You need to do what’s in your best interest and remember that your TRF family will always be here for you no matter what you decide.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote