The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2019, 03:04 PM   #211
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Your years of contributions made a difference here. Drop by when you have a moment. Tend to your health. Very best thoughts for you.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 03:06 PM   #212
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Wishing you all the best with everything.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:33 PM   #213
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I agree with you
Now...Rolex ownership is available only to those who have an exorbitant
amount of money to buy one.
I remember back in 1969 ....I only made minimum wage and only needed
two weeks pay to buy a steel .sport Rolex.
Anyway it was such a pleasure to know you Peter
I have learned a few things from you
Many thanks my friend - I wish you the best
A.
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:43 PM   #214
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I agree

This forum has lost a bit of its soul in how it’s changed recently. If you leave it would loose even more.

I hope you stick around from time to time. I don’t visit as much for the very reasons you stated and I’ve onlh been a member since 2013. But it would be good to still see you post your knowledge and opinions as you are amongst a few who cares beyond the status and brand.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:50 PM   #215
Otto

Watch: Daytona and others
Peter,

I am sorry to hear of your health problems. I wish you the best. Thanks you for your long service as a moderator. I hope you stick around.

I’ve been around the forum a long time as well. Some of the issues you raise have always been present in the forum, and I suppose I am as guilty as many for fluff posts, but in recent years the fluff has sometimes almost taken over. I share your love of the history, workmanship, the mystique of Rolex watches. I miss the days when the forum focused on the technical aspects, the history of the models, and the tool nature of the watches; when members could actually go out and buy the watches without having to unreasonably ingratiate themselves with dealers, pay exorbitant prices (except for the ever expensive SS Daytona), or sit for months or years on a waiting list for even a Sub. Luckily, I live in Tokyo where every watch can be found and where the best grey dealers continue to have a love for the brand, know the technical aspects, and simply obsess over the watch for what it is, not for its currency as a status symbol. I have strayed a bit. With the advent of the ceramic bezels, I started moving more to precious metals because ceramic is generally a hard sell for me; a real love-hate relationship. I am on my fourth GMT IIC, but still wish I could just go into a store and pick up a new GMT II with a red/blue aluminum bezel. When I retire, I will probably also retire some of my PM watches and go vintage for this antique human, myself.

Best wishes, whatever you decide. Like you, this forum has been a great place for me to go for many years, a place to shed the stress of the day and admire photos of great watches, learn a bit here and there, and share my thoughts with other similarly obsessed people. It is people like you that motivate me to read the forum.

Take care.

Otto
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:59 PM   #216
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

I feel the emptyness of all the ££$$ and investment posts as well, well written. I can see that Logging in here does not bring that community feeling as on some other Forums. Something to think about. Be well

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 05:00 PM   #217
multimedia
"TRF" Member

What a great read that was, Otto.
Old 24 May 2019, 05:18 PM   #218
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Being a moderator is rather a thankless task, which it seems you no longer enjoy - so pack it in.

Then you can skip through the dross and participate in the threads you do enjoy.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 05:56 PM   #219
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I have always enjoyed your posts but taking care of your health comes first and foremost take care
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 06:01 PM   #220
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
so long.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 07:47 PM   #221
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Padi

I am sorry to hear of your health, and I really hope for good things going forward.

As a member that was there in the “good old days” I can certainly see where you are coming from. I try to pass over all of the repetitive threads we see daily, but the fact of what is going on at the AD level is making it hard for us to enjoy the hobby we once did.

On the flip side, today there are still many relevant and informative posts from fine members and mods such as yourself and many more.

When you are feeling up to it, we all hope that you do post up as often as you can. We hope this is not goodbye as we need our old school members to stick around and keep this place the foremost Rolex forum on the internet.

Be well my friend. Only good things.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 07:52 PM   #222
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Hope you say on the forum, you’ve always given great advice to any of my enquiries on the forum. It’ll be a real shame if you leave because of the way folk look at Rolex these days, totally understand your dismay though. There are plenty people on here respect and value your input and valuable thoughts on Rolex watches, me included.
If your health is suffering because of this forum, defiantly give the forum a miss....your health comes first without question....I wish you all the best with your health whatever you choose to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 08:02 PM   #223
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Padi,
I'm fairly new here, I try to read more than I post, never use nick names and try not to ask stupid questions.

I like your no nonsense answers.

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues and certainly hope the pain isn't too bad. But try to stick around, maybe leave the moderator position, but the odd comment would always be valued.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 08:04 PM   #224
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Peter,

Really sorry to hear about your health issues, wishing you all the very best.

But please stick around, if not as a moderator, at least as a member of this forum. We may not always have agreed in our views on here, but your input has been invaluable. Thank you

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 08:10 PM   #225
Rwatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I have been thinking quite seriously in hanging my hat up on forum,not in the best of health and on high doses of morphine now to cut down my everyday pain.Afraid today Rolex knowledge takes second place on forum.Now most topics it safe, will this go up in value,silly nicknames,if they discontinue this or that, and the rest of the daily flood of ££££$$$ posts. But forum has given me great pleasure over the past 14 odd years,and over the past two to three years kept me focused and taken my mind off my health problems ,and once again many thanks to all those who sent me past and future get well cards.Now over these forum years I have seen a great change in today's Rolex watch owners,today forum is getting more like Facebook with, is it safe, can I wear my Rolex doing this or that.Or things like alignments points,will this or that go up in value what size box,plastic stickers, even bezel protectors, watch running 3 seconds fast should I send it in .Gone now are the days of buying and wearing one of the finest mechanical watches on this planet because its a Rolex.I sometimes wonder why some buy a Rolex perhaps to wear the brand, or again perhaps look at me I am wearing a Rolex.The history of the brand seems to me to be forgotten on forum, as now Rolex watches are seen as little more than alignments or ££££$$$$$ by many.And being a mod just like the rest of the mods and admin have to read most of these threads daily,and sometimes I have a chuckle but many times it bring a tear to this old gits eyes to see what Rolex means today to many of the members on forum.With many of these types of questions they should already know or research before even thinking of buying a Rolex.Afraid as you get to my mature age my brain is like a big store cupboard, I know it is all in there, but sometimes now takes longer to get the right stuff out.And will add just hope I have brought a bit of Rolex knowledge to the forum and some have learnt a bit over the years.And if I have offended any member then I sincerely apologise but I always give a no bullsh#te answer and believe in calling a spade a spade.

I can only agree with your comments, the whole ideology of a tool watch has slowly slipped from the mind of the masses. Even myself found going to the Patek discussion threads for content as the Rolex side really has become the same questions and answers and if it is safe to wear at the beach even in the shower

I want to see more beat up watches, more loved watches and scholars like yourself educating where possible.

Can only wish you the best of health.
Rwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 08:33 PM   #226
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Peter , sorry to hear about you health issues and wish you all the best, thank you for your dedication to TRF, I always enjoyed your down to earth view on lots of crazy things that people come up with on the forums. Your knowledge of Rolex watches, history and their workings will be missed. Will miss you
Old 24 May 2019, 08:40 PM   #227
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Life comes first. Good luck Peter and whatever you decide, I wish you well Sir
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:27 PM   #228
Weinboyz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
I hear you and completely understand your thinking. I will say in my short arrival to the forum, your wit and knowledge is nothing less than perfection. I can truly appreciate the no BS answers you give and some of the most perfectly timed sarcasm and humoristic remarks . However, what has always impressed me, is your incredible vast of knowledge for the brand and history. I do not believe I have ever seen you stumped with a question or any of the history of the horology. Should you decide to go, you will surely be missed. However, should you decide to stay, know that you are truly appreciated by myself and many other TRF members.
Weinboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:36 PM   #229
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
Im sorry to hear about your health, hope you get better soon

Although we havent conversed directly, the knowledge and experience you bring to the forums have been invaluable. I hope recent changes in the rolex landscape doesnt leave a bitter taste in what youve built thusfar
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:39 PM   #230
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
OP, I remember when you posted something similar some years ago. Everyone asked you to stay.

I don't think you're going anywhere. Cheer up!

You're a respected member of this forum, things wouldn't be the same without you. Hang in there!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:43 PM   #231
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
I think this thread sums up how you are regarded here.

If some us (I include myself in this) posted a thread like this we would get responses like ‘mind the door doesn’t hit you on the way out!’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:48 PM   #232
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Thanks for all you do and have done for TRF. Despite all the fluff posted here by those that don’t truly appreciate watches, there are occasional gems to be found and they keep me coming back. Best wishes!
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:55 PM   #233
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Peter, regardless of whether you stay on or gracefully exit, I thank you. I have valued this community for several years now, and am truly thankful for the stewardship that you and the other moderators provide. While other formats of social media coupled with the supply/demand issues have made for numerous annoying threads, there are an equal number that I enjoy reading, participating in, and learning from. Thank you for your service and your voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:10 AM   #234
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

that's why I started looking at AP. The kind of people now owning Rolex is not what it used to be and it reflects on the quality of the forum.
Old 25 May 2019, 12:11 AM   #235
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Peter, Your health and wellbeing are the most important things to focus on. I sincerely hope you overcome your health challenges. Always enjoyed your responses on the forum. Bless you.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:28 AM   #236
Floorguy

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Very sad to hear this Peter! But, I understand 1000%!! Soooo many posts of absolute nonsense that I just wonder, is this really a question? I read theses and fight not to comment as not to insult anyone. Now that I have had my little rant, I for one will you Peter! Be well my friend!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:30 AM   #237
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Peter you will be missed and yes this place has changed.

I bet most of the new people on here have no clue what a Pallet Fork or a Minute Pinion or a Escape Wheel actually are ....
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:30 AM   #238
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Get the frustration, and sorry to hear about your health. I've really enjoyed your posts and hope you end up staying around.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 03:22 AM   #239
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Peter. Stick it out if you can. You can't yield to the inmates fight for the asylum.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 04:46 AM   #240
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
You don’t need to be around because of each. That is called chimera. You need to keep up because of the few that deserve it. And that would make you better in your fight! Thumbs up! And my appreciation to your knowledge and sharing it with us.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote