The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 January 2020, 12:32 AM   #31
cpotje
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
I have been watching the prices like a hawk.
The first watch came out (grey) at a price point of 82K euro (luxurywatches), prices stayed there for a month or so. Then in early November the price dropped to 65K euro due to a watch dealer on chrono from Italy.
In the beginning of December prices dropped again to the current point.

I really hope that the fat ninja can change his nickname to fat oracle of fat prophet in a year and I can get my Weekly :P
There has not been a Weelky delivered to The Netherlands yet, tells you how important we are to Patek
Your information is not correct. A 5212 is delivered in The Netherlands in November.
cpotje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 12:50 AM   #32
cpotje
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Would you still want this if there are 3 equally exciting calatravas that get introduced in 2020? (I have no idea).

I would suggest everyone to slow play everything :) except a 5711 blue. Stack management my friends
Look in the mirror guys and girls, and admit that the 5711 was too ugly to be true 5 to 40 years ago. Now all of a sudden, everyone is so overhyped about this model. It has been on the market for over 40 years and becaue some Asians are chasing this watch it became special. The prices only went up the last few years.
The 5212 is a real classic in the making.
Old 6 January 2020, 02:51 AM   #33
indiana
"TRF" Member

Wishful thinking that these prices are plummeting. Essential Watches in Beverly Hills and DavidSW as well as other reputable secondary dealers still have the watch well above $63,000. Sure, you can find, as always, some more tenuous transactions for less on forums like Chrono24. But Patek itself made it clear at Basel 2019 that stainless will remain rare in its line. The 5212 is not only unique for the brand in terms of movement, material and design, it seems something of a bridge between dress and sport with the more casual calf strap and color. With one year of production in exceedingly small numbers compared to 40 years of production for the Nautilus line, my guess is that the 5212 will remain pretty exclusive and, therefore, appreciate over time as a classic collector's piece.
indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 02:57 AM   #34
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpotje View Post
The 5212 is a real classic in the making.
Lol just like the 5524. Lol

Please don’t take me too seriously. I’m scared of the guys on the Rolex side at the moment. 2 pretty angry threads
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 03:39 AM   #35
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Your information is not correct. A 5212 is delivered in The Netherlands in November.
Oooh, nice to know, care to elaborate on that? I got my info from George and though to have a solid source
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 03:55 AM   #36
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:
Oooh, nice to know, care to elaborate on that? I got my info from George and though to have a solid source
Oh dear...hope George wasnt lying about you being 3rd or 4th on the.list
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 04:02 AM   #37
indiana
"TRF" Member

People who love a watch like this root for it not against it. Then again, it seems like some folks are simply hoping for a bargain. OP, I don't think what you are sensing is hostility at your posts so much as disappointment that someone might be wishing a particular watch ill for whatever personal motivation they have - even if that motivation is they WANT it. Patek puts a lot of hard work, time, money and artistry into pieces like the 5212. Occasionally, the market recognizes a success with prices well above MSRP. Sometimes it does not. A lot of "experts" seem to believe the 5212 stands out. I happen to humbly agree. I really see it as an effort by Patek to close the current gap in popularity between sports and dress watches. a valiant effort by a company that prides itself on innovation and leading in the marketplace irrespective of the cost. But social media is a dangerous and powerful tool that can cause misinterpretation, even of a masterpiece. God forbid that Van Gogh would have gotten evaluated on a forum like this in his lifetime. Sometimes a piece of art is worth more than its original asking price...
indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 04:35 AM   #38
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1000 View Post
Oh dear...hope George wasnt lying about you being 3rd or 4th on the.list
He works at an AD, i'm sure i'm third or fourth, until somebody better comes along
Old 6 January 2020, 04:38 AM   #39
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Quote:
He works at an AD, i'm sure i'm third or fourth, until somebody better comes along

You hang in there tiger only gotta wait till 2023 minimum
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 04:42 AM   #40
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Naultilus View Post
You hang in there tiger only gotta wait till 2023 minimum

Thanks man
Luckily enough I have time. I scooped up two Rolexes and two Pateks in 2019 so i'm on hold for a while anyway.

Unless somebody wants to sponsor me ???
Old 6 January 2020, 04:42 AM   #41
cpotje
"TRF" Member

I am afraid that George is not as solid as you think.
Old 6 January 2020, 04:47 AM   #42
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Quote:
Thanks man
Luckily enough I have time. I scooped up two Rolexes and two Pateks in 2019 so i'm on hold for a while anyway.

Unless somebody wants to sponsor me ???

Lucky you maybe you could sponsor me
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 04:51 AM   #43
Pim
Banned

Quote:
I am afraid that George is not as solid as you think.
Apparently not

You the guy that picked it up? Ah well, i'm glad the watches are coming out, lets see what happens in the coming time
Old 6 January 2020, 04:54 AM   #44
cpotje
"TRF" Member

Who is your AD?
Old 6 January 2020, 05:00 AM   #45
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Who is your AD?
You don't know George ?
Old 6 January 2020, 05:16 AM   #46
vakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: The watch.!
2 a 3 years wait for the 5212 at schaap & Citroën ?
Old 6 January 2020, 05:32 AM   #47
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakman View Post
2 a 3 years wait for the 5212 at schaap & Citroën ?
My guess would be about 2 years from now. If you are lucky and stay in the good graces of the AD. And yes, in the Netherlands, chances are that is going to be Schaap en Citroen.
I have NO faith in Steltman The Hague whatsoever, the majority of the staff treated me like shit., but maybe I said something wrong
Old 6 January 2020, 06:00 AM   #48
cpotje
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You don't know George ?
No, sorry!
Old 6 January 2020, 12:15 PM   #49
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana View Post
People who love a watch like this root for it not against it. Then again, it seems like some folks are simply hoping for a bargain. OP, I don't think what you are sensing is hostility at your posts so much as disappointment that someone might be wishing a particular watch ill for whatever personal motivation they have - even if that motivation is they WANT it. Patek puts a lot of hard work, time, money and artistry into pieces like the 5212. Occasionally, the market recognizes a success with prices well above MSRP. Sometimes it does not. A lot of "experts" seem to believe the 5212 stands out. I happen to humbly agree. I really see it as an effort by Patek to close the current gap in popularity between sports and dress watches. a valiant effort by a company that prides itself on innovation and leading in the marketplace irrespective of the cost. But social media is a dangerous and powerful tool that can cause misinterpretation, even of a masterpiece. God forbid that Van Gogh would have gotten evaluated on a forum like this in his lifetime. Sometimes a piece of art is worth more than its original asking price...
Well VG only sold 1 painting during his lifetime and that was a few months before his death. Generally everyone thought he sucked as an artist
Old 6 January 2020, 02:39 PM   #50
martinr
"TRF" Member

I don’t know a hell of a lot about art but the 5212 looks like some kids second grade art project. But what do I know, if you think it’s a masterpiece buy it and wear it. 53 weeks in a year? News to me.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 04:23 PM   #51
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I don’t know a hell of a lot about art but the 5212 looks like some kids second grade art project. But what do I know, if you think it’s a masterpiece buy it and wear it. 53 weeks in a year? News to me.
365 days per year divided by 7 = 52.14 and a leap year is 52.29. So the 53rd week is incomplete . However every 28 years you can actually have 54 weeks when 1 Jan and 31 December form seperate weeks and it's a leap year. Year 2000 was such.

Any you thought this was a boring watch???? Its the greatest watch since the 5522!!!
Old 6 January 2020, 04:54 PM   #52
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
FYI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_week_date
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 05:37 PM   #53
phatman
Banned

Quote:
365 days per year divided by 7 = 52.14 and a leap year is 52.29. So the 53rd week is incomplete . However every 28 years you can actually have 54 weeks when 1 Jan and 31 December form seperate weeks and it's a leap year. Year 2000 was such.

Any you thought this was a boring watch???? Its the greatest watch since the 5522!!!
Excellent response Josh.

However for some one who does not know a calendar year can have 53 weeks it could be too much to digest
phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 05:42 PM   #54
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I hope your watch shows week 2
Old 6 January 2020, 06:54 PM   #55
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Lol just like the 5524. Lol

Please don’t take me too seriously. I’m scared of the guys on the Rolex side at the moment. 2 pretty angry threads
You are easy to read, you end everything with a LOL.

Josh100 is difficult to read. LOL
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 10:48 PM   #56
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I hope your watch shows week 2
Old 7 January 2020, 12:22 AM   #57
Erson
Banned

is this the steel dress watch? i dont like the dial design
Erson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 12:32 AM   #58
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erson View Post
is this the steel dress watch? i dont like the dial design

I know just what you mean.

I love it.
Old 7 January 2020, 08:00 AM   #59
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana View Post
Wishful thinking that these prices are plummeting. Essential Watches in Beverly Hills and DavidSW as well as other reputable secondary dealers still have the watch well above $63,000. Sure, you can find, as always, some more tenuous transactions for less on forums like Chrono24. But Patek itself made it clear at Basel 2019 that stainless will remain rare in its line. The 5212 is not only unique for the brand in terms of movement, material and design, it seems something of a bridge between dress and sport with the more casual calf strap and color. With one year of production in exceedingly small numbers compared to 40 years of production for the Nautilus line, my guess is that the 5212 will remain pretty exclusive and, therefore, appreciate over time as a classic collector's piece.
Its an interesting conundrum: keep the 5212 exclusive, and thereby the secondary price high; or release a few more into the wild which would take some of the acid out of the grey market? Still, some solid thinking here. The price will inevitably drop as more come on the secondary market (there are 12 on C24 right now). Although, I wonder how many want to buy this watch, and are not just speculators or those feeding the SS mania. Its a beautiful piece (having handled it in the Geneva PP boutique), but I found the dial too busy.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 09:25 AM   #60
benzng
"TRF" Member

i am with fat ninja on this. i think this will go the same route as the 5524, i did not like the 5524 so i passed when offered one. this one i will get when offered by the AD :)
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote