The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 March 2024, 04:15 AM   #1
CAN_VAN7
"TRF" Member

Height vs Wrist Size

I see lots of posts asking "is this watch too big on me" and I think height/overall body size matters more than wrist size, though at the extremes wrist size will matter. For anyone with 6.25" to 7.75" I don't think wrist size is what is the real issue - thoughts?
CAN_VAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 04:41 AM   #2
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Humm, yeah, wrist size and shape matters. I don't know what you are talking about.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 04:45 AM   #3
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN_VAN7 View Post
I see lots of posts asking "is this watch too big on me" and I think height/overall body size matters more than wrist size, though at the extremes wrist size will matter. For anyone with 6.25" to 7.75" I don't think wrist size is what is the real issue - thoughts?
Agree. I've seen women wearing 44mm Panerai. If you like it, rock it.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 05:01 AM   #4
Saransh
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Rootbeer
I think it has more to do with wrist size than height ive seen super tall guys wear a 36 and a small cartier tank because of their wrist size
Saransh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 05:06 AM   #5
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Yeah...not so much...the best man at my wedding was 6'4" but for whatever reason his wrists are on the small side...a 36 DJ on him looks like me wearing a PAM 177!
Old 15 March 2024, 05:07 AM   #6
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Wrist size definitely matters to me. I have 7.5” wrists, and feel as if my 42mm Seamaster is as big as I ever want to wear. I think my Submariner, DJ41, and GMT II are perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 05:08 AM   #7
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

The real issue is whether or not you like how the watch wears on your wrist. Nothing else matters.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 05:11 AM   #8
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
I'm built pretty thick on top (kinda a gym rat) so I can wear decently big watches on my 7.25mm wrists (up to 43ish). I can even pull off a Blancpain FF at 45 due to it's non existent lug width (a true purpose built diver should be big).

I love individuality and confident self expression, but that said, I've seen some watches that look completely ridiculous on people.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 06:05 AM   #9
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
My physique is better than most (muscular, slim, just saying how it is) and I am slightly taller than average. I favour 36mm watches purely due to wrist size (6.7in) and shape.

I mean, you wouldn't wear shoes that are bigger than your foot size because of your physique / height right?
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 06:14 AM   #10
rohada
"TRF" Member

I'm 6'-3" slender in shape build at 200lbs with 7" flat wrist. For a wrist shot, my former Explorer 36 looked fine, but I (and my wife) believed that when people see me from head to toe, the 36 just looked a bit smallish. I live in a warm climate and wear shorts and T shirts a lot. I have a Pepsi, a Daytona, and a SDDS. Even the SDDS looks in proportion based on my overall height combined with how well it fits.

Physiology (wrist and body), comfort, and desire, to one degree or another, impact everybody's decision on what to wear. Doesn't mean it looks good or bad on you, just that you wear it. While I could pull off a SkyD given my frame, the long lugs makes my wrist look even smaller as it hangs over both edges. Therefore, it doesn't wear well on me. Others with my build may very well find a 36mm or a SkyD to be the perfect watch for them. Sometimes just wanting it is the most influential contributor to a buying decision.

I could not wear a Challenge, regardless of the criteria.
Old 15 March 2024, 06:22 AM   #11
Wee-Willie
"TRF" Member

I'm fat & wear a 34, 36 & 41mm Rolex...get & wear what you want, Nuff Said
Wee-Willie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 06:30 AM   #12
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
I think it's what you're used to seeing on your wrist. If you buy a large watch and get used to seeing it there you expect a large watch and a 36 will look too small. After all it's about what the owner thinks not what other people think.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk
sgt10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 06:30 AM   #13
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
I think it could be a better method to compare the watch's lug-to-lug size to the shape and width of the wrist.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 07:12 AM   #14
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
[QUOTE=S.Explorer;13187948]My physique is better than most (muscular, slim, just saying how it is) QUOTE]

Can we be the judge of that? Give us a little beefcake, please! In all seriousness, I’ve worn watches up to 45 mm (seiko divers magically fit any size wrist). As long as the lugs don’t overhang the sides of your wrist, you can rock it. I have decided that 35-39 mm is my sweet spot. No more big divers, for me. I’ve grown to love the look of more classic, and classy pieces, on my 6 1/2 inch wrist. I don’t think body size plays a significant part in choosing your watch size.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 07:45 AM   #15
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I am barely 5’9” in thick socks and 195lbs, muscular but fundamentally built for comfort not for speed, with a 6.75” wrist. I own and regularly wear watches from 36-44mm. Height has nothing to do with the size of the watches I wear or that look good on me, I wear what’s comfortable with confidence as each individual should.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 07:52 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Height, wrist size, and watch have no true relationship except in the mind of what one is used to seeing on their wrist.

Nobody looks good with a pie-tin sized watch on their wrist.
Old 15 March 2024, 07:54 AM   #17
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I am very good looking and incredibly muscular and fit . I wear any size watch From 36mm to 44 mm , the watch looks good but I look better .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 09:19 AM   #18
Kingcobb
"TRF" Member

I think height off the wrist is a much bigger issue then width.
Kingcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 09:22 AM   #19
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Wrist shape to an extent. Case and lug shape, thickness, and weight to a greater extent.

Or so it goes for me. We're all different.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 10:09 AM   #20
Kingcobb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcobb View Post
I think height off the wrist is a much bigger issue then width.
Which btw my omega smp's feel like I'm wearing a brick on my wrist after wearing my sub and daytona....this is becoming a legit issue.
Kingcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 10:24 AM   #21
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
I am very good looking and incredibly muscular and fit . I wear any size watch From 36mm to 44 mm , the watch looks good but I look better .

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 06:01 PM   #22
Scottyboy
Banned

Watch: GP Laureato
Absolutely not. Thats a bit like saying 'I'm 6 foot 6 inches tall, but have small feet. I wear shoes too big for my feet to compensate, as they suit my tall size better'.

You wear a watch on your wrist, as a minimum it needs to fit the wrist being worn on., no matter how tall or fat / thin you are.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 06:03 PM   #23
Scottyboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
You forgot 'modest' from your list
Old 15 March 2024, 07:07 PM   #24
knighty88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Wear what you are comfortable with. I think comfort over look is the most important factor.

If you like it, that's all that matters - life's too short to worry about what someone else might think of your watch.
knighty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 07:14 PM   #25
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty88 View Post
Wear what you are comfortable with. I think comfort over look is the most important factor.
So obvious that I forgot to mention it. Yes indeed, comfort first and foremost,which is why I own Rolex.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 07:22 PM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Wrist shape and size contributes the most to how a watch looks IMO.

The same watch can look good on a person with a flat 6.5” wrist and look large on a person with a round 7”wrist.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 07:58 PM   #27
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Agreed with most comments above on wrist shape and size.

Bottom line is the wrist span, compared with the lug-to-lug distance. You could have a small and flat wrist with a large wrist span, and a big and rounded wrist with a small wrist span.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 09:56 PM   #28
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I believe in all thing being proportionate. A little large, a little small, not an issue. It is just when you get into the extremes that it becomes apparent. And even then, nobody really cares as much as we think they do.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:53 PM   #29
rohada
"TRF" Member

Don't see the correlation to shoe size in this discussion. If your feet are size 10, you don't purchase size 12 shoes. I get it. Likewise, if you have a 6.75" wrist, you don't set the bracelet length for 7.5". The discussion is about width, length, and even height of the case and its corresponding bracelet I suppose, as it relates to your body type.

I can comfortably wear from 36 to 44mm. Just think the 40mm+ looks better on me. Others may disagree or not notice. We all experience things differently and we all have a range of what we see as proportionately agreeable, not just in watches. When I see someone wearing a watch that doesn't seem to look good in proportion to their overall size, I can't help that it registers (it's just how I'm wired). I don't point it out, because it's what works for them. We're all predisposed to noticing certain things.
Old 16 March 2024, 12:48 AM   #30
Scottyboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohada View Post
Don't see the correlation to shoe size in this discussion. If your feet are size 10, you don't purchase size 12 shoes. I get it. Likewise, if you have a 6.75" wrist, you don't set the bracelet length for 7.5". The discussion is about width, length, and even height of the case and its corresponding bracelet I suppose, as it relates to your body type.

I can comfortably wear from 36 to 44mm. Just think the 40mm+ looks better on me. Others may disagree or not notice. We all experience things differently and we all have a range of what we see as proportionately agreeable, not just in watches. When I see someone wearing a watch that doesn't seem to look good in proportion to their overall size, I can't help that it registers (it's just how I'm wired). I don't point it out, because it's what works for them. We're all predisposed to noticing certain things.

My point was, you wear shoes that fit your feet, right? So wear a watch that fits your wrist too!

OPs point was around height being more important for a watch size that the actual size of the wrist, and I don't agree with that. The watch needs to fit your wrist, first and foremost. Height and weight dont come into it.