The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: How do you like AP new line Code 11.59?
Like 116 24.32%
Dislike 361 75.68%
Voters: 477. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 January 2019, 02:13 AM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
The octagonal design language is there in the case though.
It is and the distinct finish screams AP, but I feel it's too subtle head on, I think the Octagon should just protrude out to be visible.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 02:19 AM   #32
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Overall, I think the over-reaction and venom directed at AP so far for this new line is both overblown and unwarranted. Let's wait to see the watches irl before making judgement folks

Agreed
Watcheroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 05:22 AM   #33
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It is and the distinct finish screams AP, but I feel it's too subtle head on, I think the Octagon should just protrude out to be visible.

It would have been cool to have had an internal octagonal bezel on the 11:59.

Something a bit like the 26421 bezel angles inside but with a round surround to keep it distinct and dressier.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:01 AM   #34
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Looking at this pic, I’m going to say it, I actually really think it’s a beautiful design
Watcheroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:13 AM   #35
Phaedrus29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post

Looking at this pic, I’m going to say it, I actually really think it’s a beautiful design
This one and the perpetual look beautiful. They shouldn't have been lazy and greedy and should have done something special for the "cheaper" watches' dials too, or just left them out of the collection for now.

If AP just came out with this supersonnerie, perpetual, and openworked, then the line would be widely praised and the one small complaint would be that they didn't offer any more affordable options. I guess they would have to offer a chrono also since they promised the long-awaited in-house integrated movement. A more special dial on that one would have been a smart move.
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:14 AM   #36
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

I think maybe the 1159 is the watch that will look different in person than in photos. I’m curious to see and wear it in real life.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:27 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post

Something a bit like the 26421 bezel angles inside but with a round surround to keep it distinct and dressier.

Something like this, or with the octagon just visible head on, maybe it is irl, but I'm not quite into the supermassive logos as you clearly are.
Old 14 January 2019, 06:33 AM   #38
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I suspect the dial may be amazing in real life. It sounds like its similar to that on my RG Sea Master Planet Ocean, which is incredibly vibrant and really pops, much more so than AP dials. It also has similarly applied '12' and 'Omega' in rose gold, which adds tremendously to the dial, looking much more special than printed, both because its actual polished gold and raised.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 07:54 AM   #39
Speed
"TRF" Member

Great cases, movements & straps.

Dials & hands need work.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 08:14 AM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Agreed this is the only one I really like. In steel at around 20k I might have entertained one. Unfortunately it’s an MR and well out of my budget!
Old 14 January 2019, 08:14 AM   #41
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus29 View Post
This one and the perpetual look beautiful. They shouldn't have been lazy and greedy and should have done something special for the "cheaper" watches' dials too, or just left them out of the collection for now.

If AP just came out with this supersonnerie, perpetual, and openworked, then the line would be widely praised and the one small complaint would be that they didn't offer any more affordable options. I guess they would have to offer a chrono also since they promised the long-awaited in-house integrated movement. A more special dial on that one would have been a smart move.

Spot on. Objectively speaking, if one look at the entire range offerings, it's only the dials on the chronos and time/date models that have many people up in arms due to the "cheap" look. I am not sure where all this hate come from and don't think it's deserved. I bet 99.99% of the people hurling insults at AP for this new release have not actually seen or handled one irl yet. I don't like those dials as well ( yes, they do look "cheap" ) but it can be easily fixed in a future release.

AP is partly to be blamed. They created so much hype that regardless what comes out, unless it's Genta himself ressurected and design a new line, it's not going to meet expectation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I suspect the dial may be amazing in real life. It sounds like its similar to that on my RG Sea Master Planet Ocean, which is incredibly vibrant and really pops, much more so than AP dials. It also has similarly applied '12' and 'Omega' in rose gold, which adds tremendously to the dial, looking much more special than printed, both because its actual polished gold and raised.

I am leaning towards this as well, which is why I am looking forward to see them. Good youtube videos will be able to show it. I bought my new Omega Seamaster ( which I adore ) after I have seen great youtube videos about the watch. The dial pops like nothing I have owned irl.
Old 14 January 2019, 08:44 AM   #42
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus29 View Post

Spot on 100% agree
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 08:58 AM   #43
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Dial = UGGGGGGLY

Case I like a lot, but wouldn’t ever expect to be an AP. I think this is and epic fail, probably going to be discontinued after their dismal sales.

But the 38mm ROC was very smart, it’s a good push to a more normalized case size.

I also really like the Salmon Jumbo, omg a freaking beautiful piece, bring out some new unique colors.

Purple ROC was cool too
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 09:24 AM   #44
N_Architect
"TRF" Member

Watch: x2 H. Moser & Cie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Great cases, movements & straps.

Dials & hands need work.
^^This.

We all know that the present era suffers quite a bit with respect to the lack of original designs. Gerald Genta left the industry a pretty heavy heritage. A very large part of what AP makes is continuously compared against the original Genta RO design. How easy do we think it is that this revolutionary design of the 1970s can be successfully surpassed?

The Code 11.59 is a beautiful watch. It's the result of teamwork, especially in the conceptual design and styling part, more that ever before - and that's not easy for us to digest. But why?

- because we are judging prematurely based on just pictures
- because times have changed and despite that we all think a new Gerald Genta will show up, come along and easily lead AP to the creation of a "new RO" which will instantly shock us with its unsurpassed beauty
- because we fail to objectively acknowledge the fact that the introduction of Code 11.59 line is a big gamble for AP, for they must have thought this out very carefully
- because we rush and temporarily omit paying attention to many details this new line of timepieces seems to possess, such as selected design aspects of the case, the sapphire crystal, details on the new movement, straps details, the nice and larger date aperture, etc.

Yes the basic variant (date only model) looks a bit boring at first glance, surely the whole case and dial design may be more synthesis and teamwork effort instead of exhibiting the footprint of a genius and naturally gifted artist - but the manufacture is trying to give to the world something new, something different, and I personally think we need to embrace this. AP is creative here, and as JCB has put it, "...creativity is life..."

My take is that Code 11.59 surfaces a new, fresh look of a manufacture that had to inject us with something new. It was about time, and we should applaud them for that, at least until we see and try the new line hands on.

Last edited by N_Architect; 14 January 2019 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Added text.
N_Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 10:00 AM   #45
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:

Yes, I’m SS, this would be very nice. A beautiful watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 10:41 AM   #46
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I think that MR is a beauty!
Old 14 January 2019, 05:48 PM   #47
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
Best described as a mall watch.
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 07:30 PM   #48
watchfan0529
"TRF" Member

FHB just had a live interview with Revolution. It seems he was the one who pushed for the design behind the code, at least the face. He said he asked the watchmakers to make the watch without a bezel, and to be able to apply the logo on the dial. Watchmakers were hesitant to do so but he insisted.

I think we shouldn't justify bad design if it's bad design. Photo or real life, a watch design should be pleasing to the eye however you look at it. The case is beautiful, and the face of the watch is the really off-putting part. You make a case that is very technical to produce, and yet the wearer doesn't see that intricacy and the angles when looking at the time. All they see is a round shape. It's neither form over function, nor function over form, it's a design flaw. It's a waste of hard work. I'm surprised they didn't catch this during the design process. Granted this line is new, so there is still time to turn things around.
watchfan0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 07:33 PM   #49
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

another way to look at it is the AP for people who might not otherwise like AP. Thats not a bad thing either, because a lot of people don't like the RO design. Its a completely different buyer probably.

I still think the new line is a better compliment to the AP catalogue than the Cellini is to Rolex. I would never ever buy a Cellini
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 09:04 PM   #50
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

From the poll around 80% of the real watch lovers dislikes this watch -first impressions- maybe this will change over time, but I don’t think AP or any other company would like to receive this -ve impressions or sarcasm on their new born baby.

I think introducing a bazel, changing the numerals font and size and changing the handles could put this new line in a better position. I know taste differs from one person to another, but from this poll sample the majority dislikes this line -at least for now-.
Old 14 January 2019, 09:19 PM   #51
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Also change the date from 4:30 to 7:30 :))
Old 14 January 2019, 09:35 PM   #52
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Plan B, as ever, slap some Breguet numerals on it instead. And make the sec@6 subdial for the SS. Then this will play.
Old 14 January 2019, 09:37 PM   #53
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post

Then you’d have cries that they’d copied Bvlgari’s Octo.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 10:18 PM   #54
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

New Live interview with AP CEO thou it didn’t change my mind

https://youtu.be/0Ltc-u2dusg
Old 14 January 2019, 11:02 PM   #55
bigweep
"TRF" Member

Simple ones and chrono don't look great, but MR and perpetual look quite awesome from the pics!
bigweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:26 AM   #56
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Then you’d have cries that they’d copied Bvlgari’s Octo.

Yes good point !

They can’t really win, as any as of yet totally new & unseen design would be so out there, it couldn’t really be called a dress watch anymore.

It’s always easy to second guess and comment after the fact, but if they have spent this long in development, then for sure a part of that should have been consumer testing of some form or another, so presumably positive and negative reactions have been taken into account.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 01:02 AM   #57
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 04:14 AM   #58
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
All I have to say is that date window really destroyed the watch. It made it look like a cheap knock off.

Other than that, it's pretty indifferent. It had great potential. Why can't AP just make it traditional, timeless, time only. 41mm is way too large for this dress piece. I think the correct size would be 38-39mm perfect. Scaling the watch lower also makes the watch feel and look different. The MR is the perfect look imo.

Anyone else notice that AP is increasing their font sizes for everything?
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 05:50 AM   #59
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
41mm is way too large for this dress piece. I think the correct size would be 38-39mm perfect. Scaling the watch lower also makes the watch feel and look different. The MR is the perfect look.
I don’t know why they didn’t decrease the diameter although other brands known by their big sizes like Panarai and IWC have decreased many of their new watchs!!
Old 15 January 2019, 09:12 AM   #60
Scblacksunshine
"TRF" Member

MVMT/DW/Vincero called, they want their design back...5+ yrs for design/planning..etc and this is the best you can come up with? Hold onto your AP RO tight, that will be the one hit wonder that will keep on ticking for long while..
Scblacksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote