The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 August 2019, 11:44 AM   #1
miamiman
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex 1675
AP buying advice

hi guys , I am really interested in buying my first AP 15500st ,the only problem is that ive been looking at review videos on youtube and today I saw that archie luxury was telling everyone to stay away from the AP watches because of the extremely expensive service costs and that basically the watch is very problematic , can you guys advise if it is a problematic watch or is it a watch that would last me years of trouble free use.
miamiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 12:49 PM   #2
roxobox
"TRF" Member

I could tell you the same thing about Ferrari. Extremely expensive service costs and they're not as reliable as a Kia (I mean probably... maybe today they are? you get the point...).

But god damn do I love looking at it... :)
roxobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 01:19 PM   #3
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t listen to anything Archie has to say. He’s more YouTube “entertainer” than serious advice.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 03:23 PM   #4
WWC
"TRF" Member

I probably wouldn’t listen to what he has to say as his views are quite extreme, that being my own opinion.

I’ve owned my 15500ST for a bit over a week and I must say that it’s extremely accurate 4302 movement compared to the 3120 on the previous generation 15400ST. If I’m not mistaken, I think Archie was probably referring to previous generations of RO?

Indeed service costs will be expensive, if you want a cheaper service maybe consider other brands such as Rolex or Omega?
Cosmograph DAYTONA 116520 | DEEPSEA 126660 | Explorer 214270 | GMT Master II BLRO 16710 | GMT Master II VTNR 126720 | Submariner LV 16610 | Sky-Dweller 326139 | Prince Oysterdate 90630
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 03:28 PM   #5
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
AP buying advice

Archie is an idiot. My 15400 is 5.5 years old - no issues and just sent in for service, $1250 with service and case/bracelet refinishing, which is less on a % basis than Rolex.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 04:00 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Listen to roger. New APs come with a 5 year warranty. Side note why on earth would you listen to that moron.
Old 5 August 2019, 04:12 PM   #7
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I love Archie for what he is: An entertainer!

Some weeks ago, his advise was Rolex, Rolex, Rolex and now he's totally on the Patek train.
That'll change soon - and his advise may change with the change in his preferences.

I have an AP FC diver since more than 4 years now - no issues and a nice change to my Rolex watches. I'd buy her again in a heartbeat.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 05:07 PM   #8
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
hi guys , I am really interested in buying my first AP 15500st ,the only problem is that ive been looking at review videos on youtube and today I saw that archie luxury was telling everyone to stay away from the AP watches because of the extremely expensive service costs and that basically the watch is very problematic , can you guys advise if it is a problematic watch or is it a watch that would last me years of trouble free use.
Archie is fun and entertaining, but i would take his advice with a grain of salt. He bought a used Royal Oak, I believe a 14970ST black dial without service.

Then when he did the service he had to pay 2k austrailian, no idea what it is in US but should be 1.2-1.5k US. This is an ok service cost on a 15+ year old watch. You pay about the same for rolex.

Basically he bought the watch used without service history and the previous owner pushed to service cost onto him. He took a gamble on the service history and it didn't pay off.

When buying used i always factor in 1.5k for movement service for watches less than 25 years old. AP has pretty much a fixed service price of 1.5k for all watches made in the last 25 years. Watches above 25 years are vintage and you have to get a separate quote and prices there can vary quite a bit.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 09:31 PM   #9
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWC View Post
I probably wouldn’t listen to what he has to say as his views are quite extreme, that being my own opinion.

I’ve owned my 15500ST for a bit over a week and I must say that it’s extremely accurate 4302 movement compared to the 3120 on the previous generation 15400ST. If I’m not mistaken, I think Archie was probably referring to previous generations of RO?

Indeed service costs will be expensive, if you want a cheaper service maybe consider other brands such as Rolex or Omega?
Hello, which dial did you get in the end? I was part of your earlier thread and I do not recall if you disclose the dial color between grey and black. How do you like it?
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 11:32 PM   #10
systematic.entropy
"TRF" Member

Archie is a lot of things. Near the top of the list is "entertainer"... somewhere near the bottom is a "horological expert".

In my opinion, AP service costs are appropriate for the AP price point. These aren't ETA 2824s or Val 7750s, I have a hunch, the lion's share of the service cost can be justified in inspection time and finishing. And that just comes down to man hours, no way around it.

That being said, new APs, come with a five year warranty. And that warranty follows the watch. So, even a pre-owned watch could be under warranty. Furthermore, AP Service in the US (Clearwater) seems to be top notch, I currently have a piece in with them, and the courtesy and communication has been amazing.
systematic.entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 12:25 AM   #11
miamiman
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex 1675
thanks for the info guys , im still on the waiting list ,hopefully I get the call this year and i pull the trigger....I would like the blue dial but I think its going to be tough to get maybe the black or white dial . im not sure now on what to get , I would like to get a dial thats universally liked incase one day I want to sell the watch.
miamiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 01:01 AM   #12
vakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: The watch.!
AP service costs 800 euro’s i think and Rolex service costs 600 euro so not a big differance.
Old 6 August 2019, 01:40 AM   #13
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Archie is an idiot. My 15400 is 5.5 years old - no issues and just sent in for service, $1250 with service and case/bracelet refinishing, which is less on a % basis than Rolex.
+10.
Old 6 August 2019, 02:21 AM   #14
andrewjoo7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that wanker only buys 20+year old watches don't listen to that "fucker"
andrewjoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 02:22 AM   #15
andrewjoo7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thanks for the info guys , im still on the waiting list ,hopefully I get the call this year and i pull the trigger....I would like the blue dial but I think its going to be tough to get maybe the black or white dial . im not sure now on what to get , I would like to get a dial thats universally liked incase one day I want to sell the watch.
btw they don't make the white dial 15500
andrewjoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 02:24 AM   #16
Burlington
"TRF" Member

You get what you pay for.

Having seen first hand the exceptional work they do in Clearwater, the service cost is very reasonable.

I hope you can get the watch you want but don’t let AC3 cloud your judgement.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 08:14 AM   #17
elfutboler
"TRF" Member

I've had the black dial 15500 since early April and absolutely thrilled with it. I may attempt to swap for a blue dial when it's eventually sent for service but would highly recommend jumping on any of the versions you can get.
elfutboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 02:05 AM   #18
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
Personally, I Do not like the Fat F***r
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 03:09 AM   #19
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I’d be even more worried if you stated that you were buying an AP based on a positive review by that moron. The 15500 is stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 06:24 PM   #20
WWC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicasi2002 View Post
Hello, which dial did you get in the end? I was part of your earlier thread and I do not recall if you disclose the dial color between grey and black. How do you like it?
Apologies for getting back this late! Just caught this message as I was reading some old threads. Between both dials, I went black as it was the safe bet and I'm loving it so much! My Patek is on the safe and I'm still on my honeymoon period.
Cosmograph DAYTONA 116520 | DEEPSEA 126660 | Explorer 214270 | GMT Master II BLRO 16710 | GMT Master II VTNR 126720 | Submariner LV 16610 | Sky-Dweller 326139 | Prince Oysterdate 90630
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 07:17 PM   #21
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWC View Post
Apologies for getting back this late! Just caught this message as I was reading some old threads. Between both dials, I went black as it was the safe bet and I'm loving it so much! My Patek is on the safe and I'm still on my honeymoon period.
thanks and pls feel free to share the info as part of the previous thread. Glad to you're enjoying the black 15500.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 11:56 PM   #22
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Take Archie as comedy. Fun to listen to every now and then but certainly do not base any purchase decision on his opinion.
Old 13 August 2019, 12:10 AM   #23
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Archie is a great entertainer, but not one to take seriously for watch buying advise. I'm sure you will be fine with the newer movement. AP is a great watch.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 02:44 AM   #24
LvingInaShed
"TRF" Member

i love it!
LvingInaShed is offline   Reply With Quote