The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2019, 05:06 AM   #1
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Carbon Grand Prix on yellow

Have been trying out different strap options for the GP and think I finally found the one that works for me. Not in the least bit subtle but the yellow picks up the yellow on the subdial and really makes the forged carbon case pop. Have never seen this combo posted before and happy I gave it a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4097.jpeg (185.7 KB, 455 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4101.jpeg (257.6 KB, 454 views)
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 06:55 AM   #2
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
That looks fantastic!
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 07:17 AM   #3
Jp28
"TRF" Member

Like it !
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 05:42 PM   #4
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Wish I could find an NOS Grand Prix. Would rock the shiz out of it.
Old 17 August 2019, 09:28 PM   #5
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Love this!
Old 17 August 2019, 09:43 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Very nice.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 12:42 AM   #7
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Wish I could find an NOS Grand Prix. Would rock the shiz out of it.
With the ceramic bezel, even better!
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 12:44 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Looks great and tons of fun in the sun!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 01:30 AM   #9
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Thanks. Not subtle but perfect for the right occasion. Years ago AP swapped stock white date wheel for black one. Only think they did this on a few pieces before they decided they wouldn't do it anymore. Can't be many with black date wheel and ceramic bezel. If you have one please post it. Would love to know if there are others out there.

Ceramic bezel is pretty intricate. It is two separate interlocking pieces. Same design as the forged carbon bezel. Machining it to shape must be one of the more complex uses of ceramic they have done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (203.5 KB, 328 views)
Old 18 August 2019, 04:24 AM   #10
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
I have one too.. yeah they wont swap the black date wheel anymore. it really integrates the look of the watch.

the ceramic bezel is a work of art. the later versions of it have softer corners

i think the best strap for it is the matte gummy croc. maybe with red stitch. the OEM GP straps are too fragile
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gpclose.jpg (143.9 KB, 308 views)
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 05:15 AM   #11
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeed76 View Post
I have one too.. yeah they wont swap the black date wheel anymore. it really integrates the look of the watch.

the ceramic bezel is a work of art. the later versions of it have softer corners

i think the best strap for it is the matte gummy croc. maybe with red stitch. the OEM GP straps are too fragile

YES! Well done. I knew there was at least one other with black date wheel done. Do you know of any others? When I did the swap years ago they said I was the second one to do it. Only think they did it for a short period of time. Do you know how many were installed???

For the ceramic bezel they told me it was the first one they had installed at US service center. My watch was in getting a rotor bearing issue addressed when Clearwater called and told me they just received a ceramic bezel option and to see if I had any interest. They were looking for a taker willing to try it out. Was quick to give the go ahead. They had the part but weren't sure what to charge and were waiting on pricing from factory.

Are you saying that the ceramic bezel's we have on watch are different than the replacement currently being offered? If so, it's more rounded? do explain.

GP has been tough watch for me to find strap option that sticks. I have gummy croc with black stitch, with red stitch and with yellow stitch. they custom ordered the red stitch for me years ago and I remember waiting 6 months for that strap. I had an extra OEM with black stitch that I had a strap maker customize with yellow stitch. None of these stuck for me. The light color crock with red stitch works nicely but I prefer on rubber. Tend to only wear GP to car events and when it's hot and sweaty in FL none of the croc/gator straps hold up that well.

Will try it on yellow for a bit and see if that combo is a keeper. Definitely like it more than on Red rubber.
Old 18 August 2019, 06:08 AM   #12
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
the first run of ceramic bezels have sharp edges like yours. after that, they rounded the corners to match the bottom ceramic piece.

I know of one other, but I don't think many were done overall because people just don't know about the option

I also like it on the grey schumi strap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bezel.jpg (118.9 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg 98102_121_dsc00715.jpg (85.4 KB, 297 views)
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 06:11 AM   #13
nick c
Banned

I like that combination.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 08:46 PM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPDK View Post
Thanks. Not subtle but perfect for the right occasion. Years ago AP swapped stock white date wheel for black one. Only think they did this on a few pieces before they decided they wouldn't do it anymore. Can't be many with black date wheel and ceramic bezel. If you have one please post it. Would love to know if there are others out there.

Ceramic bezel is pretty intricate. It is two separate interlocking pieces. Same design as the forged carbon bezel. Machining it to shape must be one of the more complex uses of ceramic they have done.
You have the rare beige strap, works well with the tachy. I was thinking about it for my RG 44 but maybe it's too similar to gold. Any more pics of it?
Old 18 August 2019, 09:28 PM   #15
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Beautiful look. I think it looks great
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 09:55 PM   #16
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeed76 View Post

Beautiful piece, very well done.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 11:22 PM   #17
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You have the rare beige strap, works well with the tachy. I was thinking about it for my RG 44 but maybe it's too similar to gold. Any more pics of it?

here you go. color picks up the bronze inner ring well and complements that color. Not sure how it would work next to AP rose gold? Might clash? Only gold watch I have is a YG Rolex 1675/8 so tone of that gold won't help. Only RG in house is a bracelet on my wife's wrist and not willing to take her abuse of holding a watch strap next to her wrist to take a picture.

Didn't realize that was rare strap. Did they not make a lot of them? have found if you go through contact at boutique you can order things providing you are willing to wait for it. Have an OEM dark blue gator with grey stitch for my Schumacher that haven't seen around much either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2743.jpg (212.0 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2745.jpg (223.8 KB, 263 views)
Old 19 August 2019, 08:35 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the pics, I meant rare as in no one has one, obviously not a very popular colour choice and surprising they have this but not black alligator with white stitching for example.
Old 19 August 2019, 09:47 AM   #19
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

Yellow strap looks nice!
Makes the piece pop a little more.

I'm looking to try out a red rubber strap, where are you guys getting them from? Are they AP straps or are there other quality options?

Cheers.
PPFANBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:55 PM   #20
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
The yellow looks amazing!
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 09:38 PM   #21
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPFANBOY View Post
Yellow strap looks nice!
Makes the piece pop a little more.

I'm looking to try out a red rubber strap, where are you guys getting them from? Are they AP straps or are there other quality options?

Cheers.
From AP. Tried some aftermarket straps buy quality wasn't there. Feel of the AP rubber is worth the premium. They used to only offer very limited colors but recently expanded their palette opening up some nice combo options.