The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 June 2018, 11:17 AM   #1
VirginiaJim
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Hello from a new Rolex owner

Hello, all!

I just inherited a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 1002 my grandfather bought in Switzerland back in 1959. He kept it until his death in 1994, when it went to my father. When Dad died in 2015, it came down to me. I just had her serviced, and she's running like a champ.

Is there any special way to care for a Rolex? I encountered a bit of a learning curve when it came to winding and setting the thing - this is my first mechanical watch, as well as my first encounter with the oyster case. The Rolex repair shop taught me how to unscrew the crown - it's like unscrewing the cap on a pop bottle, but a LOT smaller - and wind / set the watch that way. Finished winding / setting? Screw the crown back in. It took some getting used to, but I love learning new things, so it's cool. Is there anything else I need to know? The only watches I've owned have been cheapo Timexes and Casios, as well as a Bulova Precisionist I keep for dressy occasions.

Thank you for your time,
Jim.
VirginiaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 07:17 PM   #2
Xantiagib
"TRF" Member

they're made to be worn and can handle even the least 'savvy' owner with ease
keep it clean and serviced every 4 years or sooner to keep it waterproof if you intend on swimming with it - and above all enjoy it as you've got some many years of dna to add to it before you pass it on to your kid(s)
Xantiagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 07:47 PM   #3
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaJim View Post
Hello, all!

I just inherited a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 1002 my grandfather bought in Switzerland back in 1959. He kept it until his death in 1994, when it went to my father. When Dad died in 2015, it came down to me. I just had her serviced, and she's running like a champ.

Is there any special way to care for a Rolex? I encountered a bit of a learning curve when it came to winding and setting the thing - this is my first mechanical watch, as well as my first encounter with the oyster case. The Rolex repair shop taught me how to unscrew the crown - it's like unscrewing the cap on a pop bottle, but a LOT smaller - and wind / set the watch that way. Finished winding / setting? Screw the crown back in. It took some getting used to, but I love learning new things, so it's cool. Is there anything else I need to know? The only watches I've owned have been cheapo Timexes and Casios, as well as a Bulova Precisionist I keep for dressy occasions.

Thank you for your time,
Jim.
Best to get the proper Rolex Sevice Centre to service it. Make sure they do not replace dial or hands and do not polish the watch. Get this confirmed in writing and speak to service administrator yourself face to face at the centre. Don't in my opinion trust independent shops to do it. There was a jeweller my friend had his Longines serviced at in Gurnsey in the Channel Islands. He claimed he used to work for Omega and the store has a good reputation. After the service the watch had issues. They guy only charged £90 for service and Longines would charge closer to £200. There is no regulatory body for watchmakers, how do you know they even service the watch.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 09:37 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome and what a fantastic keepsake
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 09:49 PM   #5
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Watch: '66 Submariner
welcome 2 the forum. :)
westsiderkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 10:14 PM   #6
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Welcome
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 05:59 AM   #7
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Welcome. I forgot to say
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 07:12 AM   #8
Ignace Worang
"TRF" Member

welcome and don't worry too much...just wear it and enjoy. Best thing abt Rolex is that it can serviced by any good watchmaker....after 10 years or so.
Ignace Worang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 05:53 AM   #9
Wesholm
"TRF" Member

Hi from a fellow newbie!
Wesholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 05:15 PM   #10
sigmadial
"TRF" Member

Greetings! Such a great story. I hope I'd be able to pass down something to my kids
sigmadial is offline   Reply With Quote