The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 June 2018, 02:32 AM   #1
foxy1moo
"TRF" Member

1675 buying advice please

Hi All

Long wanted a 1675, this one is from 1972. I was hoping you guys could let me know what you think of the condition, are the bezel/dial/hands/etc original, is it over polished, etc.

It seems to me to be in decent condition, maybe lost the sharp edges of the case, the bezel/plexiglass has some scratches - wouldn’t want to replace the bezel, but can the plexiglass still be replaced by Rolex? Or would you advise against?

It comes with box and a photocopy of the papers. It’s from a reputable source so I’m not too worried about authenticity but rather how original it is and condition.

Advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks
foxy1moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 04:13 AM   #2
05carbondrz
Banned

I see a fairly big chip in the 7 o’clock Lume plot.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 04:42 AM   #3
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Can you give us the serial #, this dial is not from 1972. I think you've got a MkIV there and that's later 70s... Folded bracelet and clasp is correct for '72.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 05:40 AM   #4
foxy1moo
"TRF" Member

Hi. Thanks for replying. Not sure if the serial number. I only have the bracelet number, 7836, stamped 3/72. Is that any help?
Old 15 June 2018, 06:30 AM   #5
coelacanthus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy1moo View Post
Hi. Thanks for replying. Not sure if the serial number. I only have the bracelet number, 7836, stamped 3/72. Is that any help?
You will need the serial number on the case between lugs to evaluate the watch further. If the seller is not giving it to you (better to get a picture instead of just typed number in email etc), then probably you don't wanna be buying from that seller. Probably you want photos of the movement and the inside of the case back as well. Good luck!
coelacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 07:20 AM   #6
foxy1moo
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I will ask for it tomorrow and then post it. I’m sure they will give it to me, it’s a well known and reputable vintage watch company. But of course also want to do some research on it!

I should say the watch actually looks much better in the ‘flesh’. The photos don’t do it justice, they seems to show up every imperfection.

I must say I didn’t go in for this one, they had a 2008 GMT Master II in perfect condition, full set, etc. But then I saw this one next to the GMT II, and just liked the 1675 so much more.

So now my heart really is set on a 1675, but doesn’t have to be this one, really do want to get one that is all original, in nice condition.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 15 June 2018, 07:23 AM   #7
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
As mentioned the dial is not correct for that serial number.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 10:20 AM   #8
coelacanthus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy1moo View Post
Thanks. I will ask for it tomorrow and then post it. I’m sure they will give it to me, it’s a well known and reputable vintage watch company. But of course also want to do some research on it!

I should say the watch actually looks much better in the ‘flesh’. The photos don’t do it justice, they seems to show up every imperfection.

I must say I didn’t go in for this one, they had a 2008 GMT Master II in perfect condition, full set, etc. But then I saw this one next to the GMT II, and just liked the 1675 so much more.

So now my heart really is set on a 1675, but doesn’t have to be this one, really do want to get one that is all original, in nice condition.

Thanks again for the feedback.
I am one of those who "downgraded" from 16710 to 1675, and I say you won't regret it. Call me crazy but I even actually prefer old flimsy folded bracelet over 5 digit ones. IMHO 1675 was more comfortable and charming than 5 or 6 digit refs. (YMMV) If you plan to use it as a daily driver (I do mine), I recommend waterproofing it (keep the original crystal and crown if you need to replace them to water proof), and you have a great daily wearer. I'm not an expert to judge this particular example, but I think you'll enjoy 1675 very much as long as you find a good example. :)
coelacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 01:37 PM   #9
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanthus View Post
IMHO 1675 was more comfortable and charming than 5 or 6 digit refs.
I don't consider this a controversial opinion at all. There's not a single modern Rolex that I wouldn't trade in for a vintage.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 06:45 PM   #10
airforce1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
As mentioned the dial is not correct for that serial number.
Hmm was serial number posted?
airforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 06:48 PM   #11
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
Hmm was serial number posted?
The watch is from 1972 and this dial is not correct for a watch from 1972.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 08:37 PM   #12
foxy1moo
"TRF" Member

Hi All. Thanks for the feedback so far, it seems that the dial is not original. I just got the case serial number, it’s 32489xx, they would not give me the last 2 digits for security reasons.

Any other thoughts/ feedback gratefully appreciated.
Old 15 June 2018, 11:24 PM   #13
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

3.2m is reasonable for 1972, factor in the replacement dial when pricing... Or keep looking if you are looking for all original/correct. Keep posting here if you do and enjoy the hunt!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 05:23 PM   #14
foxy1moo
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies. Have decided to pass on this one, nice as it is, and keep looking for one thats got an original dial, as it’s such an important part of a watch. I don’t need to buy the first one I come across.

Hopefully I’ll post again soon!