The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 June 2019, 09:36 PM   #1
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Deteriorating Patek quality, need ideas to stop my brand new blue 5711 from rusting

I have read about the deteriorating quality of the new Patek’s so I thought I’d share my experience and ask for advice. I got my blue 5711 from AD in April, it has the new blue dial, but 324 movement so must have been one of the last of that configuration issued.

Everything was fine until recently I noticed some marks on the edge of the bracelet, closer inspection shows it seems to be rust. The watch has been stored in a watch box, worn a handful of times and never been wet. Has anyone else had this? Are Patek using a cheaper steel? I have known some low-grade stainless steel to rust but I never expected this.

I took some pictures then used some WD40 to clean the links and it seems to have cleared it up, any thoughts on how to stop it getting worse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2466.jpg (224.5 KB, 4105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2470.jpg (182.8 KB, 4060 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2471.jpg (134.6 KB, 4049 views)
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 09:58 PM   #2
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Interesting. Is that definitely rust?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:13 PM   #3
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
I have read about the deteriorating quality of the new Patek’s so I thought I’d share my experience and ask for advice. I got my blue 5711 from AD in April, it has the new blue dial, but 324 movement so must have been one of the last of that configuration issued.

Everything was fine until recently I noticed some marks on the edge of the bracelet, closer inspection shows it seems to be rust. The watch has been stored in a watch box, worn a handful of times and never been wet. Has anyone else had this? Are Patek using a cheaper steel? I have known some low-grade stainless steel to rust but I never expected this.

I took some pictures then used some WD40 to clean the links and it seems to have cleared it up, any thoughts on how to stop it getting worse
If this is a real piece from a UK AD, take it straight back to the AD. What are you waiting for.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:18 PM   #4
tyngshen
"TRF" Member

Not sure about the "rust", but those pin sleeves scream SEIKO, if that's any indication of the quality of their bracelets.
tyngshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:21 PM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Can stainless steel rust under normal conditions after just a couple of months?
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:26 PM   #6
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyngshen View Post
Not sure about the "rust", but those pin sleeves scream SEIKO, if that's any indication of the quality of their bracelets.
I know what you mean, but my 30 year old Seiko has not rusted
Old 10 June 2019, 10:26 PM   #7
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Deteriorating Patek quality, need ideas to stop my brand new blue 5711 from rusting

A cursory Google image search seems to show two bracelet configurations - one with recesses in the screw/pin holes on the side of the bracelet like your photo, and one with screw heads like the photo below. I don’t know if both could be correct depending on the vintage - perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:30 PM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
A cursory Google image search seems to show two bracelet configurations - one with recesses in the screw/pin holes on the side of the bracelet like your photo, and one with screw heads like the photo below. I don’t know if both could be correct depending on the vintage - perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in?
Changed to pins about 2011.

https://www.patek.com/en/company/sav...-and-bracelets
Old 10 June 2019, 10:34 PM   #9
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

I have cleaned the bracelet with a little WD40 and gentle rub with a finger nail. Perhaps a clean with soap and water and see if the rust comes back. If it does I will take to the AD but not sure what the AD or Patek can do if its rusting. I guess they all must be the same.
Old 10 June 2019, 10:34 PM   #10
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Wow how in the world does a Patek rust?? Is this for real?
Old 10 June 2019, 10:42 PM   #11
drgoro
"TRF" Member

Lol, that’s not what I’d expect from Patek. Unreal.
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:45 PM   #12
JohnTz
"TRF" Member

This is interesting. I have a few steel Patek watches that are old and have been worn in many summers and have gotten wet and sweaty and none have ever rusted. I have a new 5960 in steel and it has seen daily wear and has gotten wet and sweaty and it has never rusted either. If that is truly rust and the fact that it is in the side, would make me investigate how it’s being stored and what the side of the bracelet is being exposed to?
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:45 PM   #13
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have cleaned the bracelet with a little WD40 and gentle rub with a finger nail. Perhaps a clean with soap and water and see if the rust comes back. If it does I will take to the AD but not sure what the AD or Patek can do if its rusting. I guess they all must be the same.
Of course they don't all rust. Don't clean it anymore, just take it straight back to your AD with all the marks and get a replacement (and explanation).
Old 10 June 2019, 10:58 PM   #14
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

First, most obvious question: What color is the inside of the watch box, and does it rub against the bracelet? If you tell me it's cognac colored, and there are wear marks inside of it, I'm going to offer up a different theory...

I'm still skeptical that it's rust. Stainless can discolor from other things. My wife and I went back to the store our silverware came from because, oh the horror, it was rusting after mere months! The salesman told us it wasn't in fact rust, but that it needed to be polished with stainless cleaner. Low and behold, he was correct.

That said, I would seek the advice of your AD, or PP, about whether such a cleaner should be applied to a watch. They can be very abrasive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

That photo isn't a 5711. Chronograph pushers visible (and different case back). I'm guessing that a thicker watch can accommodate a thicker bracelet, allowing for thicker screws/pins.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 11:28 PM   #15
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

I feel I need to add more detail, it has happened twice, the first time a week ago I just rubbed the mark away with a finger. The second time as in the pictures was much worse so cleaned and oiled it. I know that WD40 has a rust inhibitor in it, I didn’t want the steel to start pitting and ruin the finish as its brand new.

The watch is always stored crown up in a nice clean blue velvet watch box on its own. The marks were on both sides. I am sure its rust, I had to wait a month to get it resized as it was too small, I only wore the watch out a few times walking round town in dry weather.

The fact it is showing in several places as circles on the fixed link edges seems to suggest its rust, unless it is something used to assemble the bracelet seeping out. It looks like corrosion/rust to me and needed a fair amount of rubbing with a finger nail and WD40 to remove.

I was expecting others to have had the same issue, now I’m thinking I should I try to clean off the WD40 oil and get it to rust again and return the watch to Patek.
Old 10 June 2019, 11:58 PM   #16
aa909
Banned

Wow did not expect this from Patek. email the pics to the AD and Patek service and ask them to replace the bracelet immediately. Rust is like cancer and will come back and it can spread to the case unless you keep oiling with WD40, and that is NOT something you should have to do with a watch at this price... or even an $800 Tag :(
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 12:04 AM   #17
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Take a look at this Royal Oak bracelet video, which I'm assuming is very similar to a Nautilus bracelet: https://youtu.be/Bh1Xww576Yc

They push solid steel pins through, grind them down, then laser weld before polishing again. To me, it looks like your "rust" is right where the pins would be, especially given their circular shape. My guess would be either a defect in the pin steel, or the welding. Either way -- I would definitely take it back to your AD or Patek directly!
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 12:23 AM   #18
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 12:40 AM   #19
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
I think PP will replace it for you with pleasure ,those marks looks really ugly BTW.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 12:55 AM   #20
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Of all my watches - I’ve never had one rust. I would have gone right back to my AD once I noticed and would have done nothing else.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 01:02 AM   #21
Peter Shore
Banned

Whilst it's been stored in a watch box is there any chance it's been in contact with another metal object? Really bizarre to rust as I even swim with my watches and never had a problem
Peter Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 01:04 AM   #22
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member

Stainless Steel doesn't rust.

What it looks like to me is cross contamination from a metal that rusts ie, mild steel. All it takes is for a tiny steel particle to land on your watch and that rusts which will then lead to discolouration of the St St.
chunkythebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 01:07 AM   #23
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

What the

Return ASAP
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 01:18 AM   #24
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Looks like wrong steel type in the pins built a galvanic pair with the bracelet steel, in this case even stainless steel can rost. Another possibility the welder forgot to wash out the welding flux (not sure it is used at all though) and it’s coming through.
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 01:27 AM   #25
scurfa
"TRF" Member

The one I got six years ago did not rust, I would say it’s being caused by the pins, they must be using a different grade today, I use the pin and collar system on my watch bracelets and have had emails from customers calling me a cheapskate! Mine are £44!

Old 11 June 2019, 01:38 AM   #26
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbgysam View Post
Take a look at this Royal Oak bracelet video, which I'm assuming is very similar to a Nautilus bracelet: https://youtu.be/Bh1Xww576Yc

They push solid steel pins through, grind them down, then laser weld before polishing again. To me, it looks like your "rust" is right where the pins would be, especially given their circular shape. My guess would be either a defect in the pin steel, or the welding. Either way -- I would definitely take it back to your AD or Patek directly!
This, so far, is the best explanation I've seen. When I reexamine the OP's photos after reading this, it is clear that not only is the location right, but the shape of the rings is, too!

I would take it back immediately and request a new bracelet. The last thing you want is for a pin to rust through and your watch to pop off!
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 02:19 AM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Weird! My 5167 never rusted and it was a true daily beater. Yes the lume fell out of the '1' on the '10' dial marker. We all know many modern Pateks are lower quality than when they adhered to the Geneva Seal, yet rust is very strange.

Let us hope this is an anomaly and not the new norm for those who truly wear and use their Patek timepieces.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 02:44 AM   #28
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Unacceptable!
Bearxj86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 02:52 AM   #29
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Maybe it's spaghetti sauce, taste it??

Kidding kidding! I wouldn't clean it with anything abrasive, just take it to the AD to have it cleaned. If it's still there after then ask for it to be replaced. It's under warranty.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 03:20 AM   #30
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
That's shocking. I would not have taken WD-40 to such an expensive watch. Doesn't your wrist get greasy??? By the way, I was under the impression stainless steel was so named because it does not rust.