The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 May 2023, 05:49 AM   #1
xwalker4
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060/116500LN/PA
Wonderful experience at AP House NYC

Hello all,

I just wanted to give you guys a report from my trip to the AP House in NYC. First, a little background: I love and admire AP, but have never come close to owning one. I live near Pittsburgh, and options for AP are basically zero. (I currently own a no date Sub, a white faced Daytona, a PAM 729, and a PAM 911.)

Honestly, I think an AP is probably next on my wishlist. With that in mind, my girlfriend and I took a trip to NYC for her birthday in mid April, and I was allowed a couple of hours for my watch obsession!

The AP House is truly stunning. The workers there are really great. Knowledgeable, friendly, entertaining, passionate, etc.

We had Sun, who was all of the above and more. The museum in there is fascinating and the history lessons were abundant.

They had a good selection of watches to try on, and I'll attach some pictures below.

Shortly after our visit, Sun messaged me with the possibility of purchasing a ROO, of which she gave me 5 options. Exciting, for sure. Of course, I want a RO but understand how that process works, and am not opposed to a ROO as well, as I like them, too. I explained to her that for any purchase of that magnitude, I would need to try them on first, and I was hopeful to make it back up to NYC sometime in the near future. Honestly, I wasn't sure which of the ROO's I liked the best, and I'm not going to buy anything like that without seeing it on my wrist first! I'm also not sure if I'm completely ready to spend $40K on a watch, as it would take a little (mental) preparation on my end.

A few weeks later, Sun got back to me to tell me the taupe ROO was available for me should I want it. I reiterated the above to her, and reinforced that I was very thankful for the opportunity and excited to start my AP journey sometime in the not so distant future.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. I had an amazing time, and I can't wait to get back to the AP House. I am getting closer to starting my AP journey, and hopefully soon the time will be right. I hope I have not turned off my SA by not jumping at the chance to buy right away, but in due time!! This is all part of the hopefully long, fun and fruitful journey!
xwalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 05:52 AM   #2
xwalker4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 May 2023, 06:27 AM   #3
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Taupe is a really nice watch. I would not be unhappy with ROO Taupe to RO. Looks like it would fit based on your ROO photo too.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 06:52 AM   #4
xwalker4

One more photo!

Old 27 May 2023, 12:33 PM   #5
xwalker4

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Taupe is a really nice watch. I would not be unhappy with ROO Taupe to RO. Looks like it would fit based on your ROO photo too.

Taupe looks stunning in photos.

Old 27 May 2023, 01:55 PM   #6
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Awesome! Are you looking to start the relationship or do you just want one AP? If the former then def go with the ROO. I love the new 43mm ROOs but like you noted it’s a ton of money and you can usually find them for under retail on secondary market. I just got a RO on the grey market and would love to add a ROO eventually.

Great profile pic btw (I’m a Pitt grad)!
psm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 03:22 PM   #7
mikef82
"TRF" Member

Is it true that you cant purchase a RO w/o any purchase history? I have an upcoming appointment with two different boutiques.. really dont want to dish out on a piece that I dont want..

If you go grey, does the warranty period apply for a brand new one?
mikef82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 11:58 PM   #8
neal.jy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26240st,26420ce
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef82 View Post
Is it true that you cant purchase a RO w/o any purchase history? I have an upcoming appointment with two different boutiques.. really dont want to dish out on a piece that I dont want..

If you go grey, does the warranty period apply for a brand new one?

Not true - depends on the boutique and SA.

I believe if the watch was already registered at original point of sale, then warranty period would have started at that point - i.e. at the point in time the watch left AP, not when you purchase from the grey dealer.

neal.jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 11:20 PM   #9
xwalker4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm11 View Post
Awesome! Are you looking to start the relationship or do you just want one AP? If the former then def go with the ROO. I love the new 43mm ROOs but like you noted it’s a ton of money and you can usually find them for under retail on secondary market. I just got a RO on the grey market and would love to add a ROO eventually.

Great profile pic btw (I’m a Pitt grad)!

Hail to Pitt!!

I would prefer to begin a relationship with AP, and I probably won’t go grey.

Old 29 May 2023, 02:49 AM   #10
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwalker4 View Post
Hail to Pitt!!

I’m sorry I don’t mean to be rude but if you can’t just buy the watch and struggle to pay $40k for an entry level watch (in terms of AP) I would just go grey. There is really no point if you can’t at least buy 1-2 watches per year consistently for a couple years in a row.

Also, think about which other watches you really want if you buy the ROO and then get an RO? If that’s it go grey and save yourself some money.

Frankly, also not a good look that you didn’t jump on the taupe ROO since it’s one of the more desirable ROOs.

Not trying to be discouraging just honest given my own experiences over recent years.

For example, took me a quarter million bucks and multiple Pateks and Rolexes plus referrals to feel like I’m getting somewhere with my current AD - and I feel like there are considerable bigger fish at my AD not to mention who you are competing with at AP house NYC.

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 03:43 AM   #11
xwalker4

Wonderful experience at AP House NYC

I enjoyed my time and experience at the AP House, and to me, that’s part of the fun of this hobby.

I can pay 40K for a watch if I really wanted to. I also have an upcoming engagement ring and house purchase to consider.

I believe the “point” is that everyone enjoys the hobby differently, and that’s beautiful. I was interested in educating myself and enjoying an experience I don’t often have the chance to. It only cost AP an hour of their time and a green juice. Besides, I was the only one in there, so it’s not like I was taking anyone’s spot.

I’m sure once I feel comfortable spending $40K, someone will take my money! It’s the journey AND the destination. I don’t know what my watch buying future holds.

I understand your intent wasn’t to be rude, but, well, you were rude. This is a forum to have fun, share stories and enjoy the hobby, not to admonish others.

Old 29 May 2023, 05:45 AM   #12
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I enjoyed my time and experience at the AP House, and to me, that’s part of the fun of this hobby.

I can pay 40K for a watch if I really wanted to. I also have an upcoming engagement ring and house purchase to consider.

I believe the “point” is that everyone enjoys the hobby differently, and that’s beautiful. I was interested in educating myself and enjoying an experience I don’t often have the chance to. It only cost AP an hour of their time and a green juice. Besides, I was the only one in there, so it’s not like I was taking anyone’s spot.

I’m sure once I feel comfortable spending $40K, someone will take my money! It’s the journey AND the destination. I don’t know what my watch buying future holds.

I understand your intent wasn’t to be rude, but, well, you were rude. This is a forum to have fun, share stories and enjoy the hobby, not to admonish others.

I kinda agree with both of you to be honest...

If you don't want it - don't spend $40k. It's a lot of money for 99.5% of people!!! I think it also kind of shows that you're looking for something specific and don't just buy it for the sake of it.

That said - I also agree with the other poster. AP is looking for people who are ok dropping $50k on a watch without thinking too much, not a person who's basically a one and done (or one every 5-10 years or so). You got offered a really desirable ROO within a VERY short period of time and declined it. I wouldn't hold my breath to be offered what you really want quickly now.

My SA offered me two watches that I didn't really want after my first one that I therefore declined (one of as a completely different dial with diamonds, one a ROO but not the taupe that I was looking for) and since then interactions have slowed down quite a bit. I bet it would be different had I spent the $110k on these two.

It is what it is but I truly believe AP wants to see you buy 2-3 pieces pretty quickly without too much consideration to be in a better "tier" than the majority of customers angling for a RO only to then disappear...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 06:40 AM   #13
mikef82
"TRF" Member

I hope I get a better experience with meeting with 2 boutiques next week. I too want a RO gray dial but refuse to buy watches that I do not like, just to get one that I want. 30-50k is not chump change, especially for me..

ROO is too bulky for my liking. I've read on here that it just depends on if you gel with the rep, they maybe able to allocate a piece for you. Fingers crossed
mikef82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 07:22 AM   #14
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Hail to Pitt!!

Then I’d say go for the ROO they offer. If you told them the RO you want, offering you a ROO is their subtle (maybe not so subtle) way of saying this is the first stop on you pathway to purchase the RO you want.
psm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 10:21 PM   #15
genoxy
"TRF" Member

Wish I could go
genoxy is offline   Reply With Quote