The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 May 2018, 01:39 AM   #1
kbar
"TRF" Member

Setting the Date and Day on a 25594?

Hey everyone

So i recently purchased a vintage ref 25594 (moonphase)
I'm struggling to figure out how to quick set / change them independently.

I tried looking online but could not find anything, so I'm trying my luck here.

Thanks in advance
kbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 10:19 AM   #2
kbar
"TRF" Member

Anyone?
Old 9 June 2018, 05:20 AM   #3
SAKHR47
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5066j
Hey,
I have the entire manual of the watch in a .pdf version. I can email that to you if you want.

Setting the date : turn from approx 9 to 12, come back to 9, do it again etc. Each time it add 1 number of the date. To change the date+day, go from 9 to approx 2 if i remind correctly.

PM me for the .pdf if you want :)
SAKHR47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 05:28 AM   #4
kbar
"TRF" Member

Thank you!
I had someone send It to me already but i appreciate you answering
Old 13 June 2018, 08:36 PM   #5
SAKHR47
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5066j
Did you find out how to do what you were asking for?
xx
SAKHR47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 06:01 AM   #6
JJGreen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675 or 1016
Hi all...same question

I have a 25594 without a manual. If someone has that PDF and would share I would greatly appreciate it! Please DM.

Thanks so much!
JJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 08:09 PM   #7
RiRi
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36 Mint
Here a post that I found on Timezone (from 2002) a while ago, which I found quite helpful:

First of all, the crown does control ALL functions - day, date, moonphase, and of course, the hour and minutes.

Defining the crown positions as follows:

P0 = crown in, all the way

P1 = crown out first detente position

P2 = crown out second detente position, or all the way out

P0 is a neutral position, and (I believe) allows the automatic movement to be wound manually.

P1 = setting the moonphase. Turning the crown upward (toward 12) advances the moonphase, without affecting any other settings or functions.

P2 = in this position, the crown controls the hour and minute hands directly. At 12am indicated, the date advances, and at 1:30am,

the day of the week advances. Thus, as one sets the time through its 24 hour cycle, the date advances every midnight, and the day of the week advances about an hour later.

Since you can only set the day of the week by turning the time through 24 hour cycles, the quickest way is to turn the hands so that the day of the week is TWO days prior to the correct day.

Thus, if it is now Thursday, turn the time to set the DAY of the week to Tuesday (to give yourself one more day of margin of error)

Now, since Tuesday was the 4th this week, you would advance the watch to 12am (midnight) at which point the DATE would advance one day (whatever it is) but the day would stay on Tuesday, since you would be careful not to go past 12:15am, not even close to 1:30am, when the day changes.

At this point, you would TURN BACK the time to about7:30pm (the date change gear train begins to engage around 8pm, so going back to 7:30pm gives an extra half hour margin of error and makes sure you don't miss a tooth or have partial engagement of the gear)

Then ADVANCE the time to past 12:00 midnight, at which point the date would change again, and turn back to 7:30pm again, and so on, back and forth, until the date displays 5 (yes, 5, not 4. at this point, you will continue onward to change the day, so when you reach 1:30am, the day will change to Wednesday, and you will have correct alignment of day and date - Wed, 5th Dec.

At this point, stop and take a breath. You are nearly home free. The date and day are correlated for the current month. DO NOT turn the time back, or you will overshoot the alignment of the day and date, and have to go a full month again.

When you are ready to advance to the current day date, in our example, Thu 6, advance the time a full 24 hour cycle again, and voila, at 12am the date will change to 6, and at 1:30am the day will change to Thu.

-

setting the moonphase is a completely different operation. With the crown in position P1, you would set the moon for a full moon indication. Then, looking at a chart, you would count the number of days from the last full moon, and CAREFULLY advance the moon indication one step for every day PAST the last full moon, then STOP.

-

Some final caveats:

1) better to go 7:30pm to 12:05 am, than 11:55pm to 1am, because you really do not want to catch the date advance while the gears have started their engagement, around 8:00pm. It will work, but you run several different types of risks of damage. Safer to go

ALL the way back, to BEFORE the date gears have started their engagement.

2) If I remember correctly, the moon phase engages about 6am (though to be sure, go through a 24 hour cycle and watch when the moonphase advances; you should also be able to hear it)

Whatever part of the day the moon phase advances, set the watch to the OTHER part of the day (am for pm; pm for am) before you pull the crown out to P1 to start setting the moonphase. Again, you risk damage to the gear train if you try to engage and advance manually while the automatic change has begun to engage.

My suggestion for a safe operation is to try to do this between 12pm and 6pm real time, when none of the gears are engaged, then set the moonphase to TWO DAYS PRIOR, then set the DATE to TWO DAYS prior, then correlate the DAY as described above, and

THEN, finally, advance everything to the correct day, date, time, and moonphase by turning the time one (or two) complete 24 hour cycles, all in synch.
RiRi is offline   Reply With Quote