The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 January 2022, 01:46 AM   #1
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
The Steinhart Ocean 39

For those who don't know, Steinhart makes what most people would refer to as "homage" watches, and of that, most are homages to Rolex. And of course, they make a diver's watch (Submariner to TRF folks) a GMT and some others.

Aside from the generally good reviews that they get and the price, I was recently intrigued because they changed their diver watch from 42mm to 39, giving us the Ocean 39 model. I have tiny svelte wrists (albeit incredibly hairy) and so most watches over 40mm look too big on me. And of course, I couldn't buy a new Rolex if I wanted to, which I do, but I can't, so now I don't.

Steinhart is a German company and the Ocean 39 comes with a Swiss ETA movement. ETA is widely regarded as a solid but basic movement manufacturer, used by many brands and often "modified" by them so that the watch seller can call it their own. But it's still an ETA down in there. Steinhart doesn't even try to pretend, they just call it an ETA.

You can buy their watches directly from Steinhart, but I also found a retailer in Singapore that sells them for about the same price. The advantage for me buying from Gnomon in Singapore is that they will swap the crystal for me. I have a love/hate relationship with the Rolex date magnifier, or the cyclops as many call it. I call it the wart. It works great, allowing me to easily see the date. But I hate the way it looks, and especially on a homage watch like this, the less people think I have a fake Rolex, the happier I am. Because it's not fake. It's simply borrowing the styling cues. Right? So for an extra $40 Gnomon swapped the crystal for me, one without the wart, and they didn't scratch the case, blow dirt onto the face or destroy the water integrity of the watch. That's what we call a win, although really, we should expect nothing less, from anyone.

So, what we have here is a stainless steel case and bracelet, beautifully finished and with fabulous fit, a workhorse movement, a sapphire crystal with or without a cyclops on it, a ceramic bezel that has very tight tolerances (maybe a bit too tight...) and a beautifully printed face with applied markers and decent lume. Gnomon was also nice enough to send me a very decent screwdriver to remove the extra links and a little watch roll. Steinhart sends the watch in a very nice faux leather case inside of a good cardboard box, with lots of protective plastics that are much easier to remove than the 23 pieces of plastic that Rolex puts on their watches, and that you find 3 months later that there were actually 26 pieces.

The finishing, as noted, is very good, and I could complain that perhaps the edges of the bracelet are a little sharper than maybe they should be, but I've had the same complaint with some real genuine Swiss watches in the past, so I won't mention it. Ooops.

How much? With the extra $40 and a 5% discount for Xmas/Boxing Day and with free shipping, it was a smidgen over $500.

That's less than the cost of a service for a Submariner. Can't beat that with a stick. If I could buy - if I could actually obtain a new Submariner today, for $9000 more, would I still go with the Steinhart? We'll see how it does over the next month or so, how well it keeps time and if I find anything else to annoy me. But partly because of the reduced size and partly because I really like having $9K in my pocket, I'm leaning this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rDSC_5179.jpg (251.9 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg rDSC_5185.jpg (261.2 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg rDSC_5187.jpg (217.4 KB, 356 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 04:13 AM   #2
Greglaw
Banned

Why not? I have the milsub styled model, in 42mm. I love it. Have had it about 6 years. Steinhart makes really cool pieces. And I have had a couple and they are great quality. Are they at the level of finishing of a brand new Rolex? No. But, is the finishing really good? Yes. And compared to a well-worn vintage piece, which many people cannot afford, or even a well-worn newer piece, the finishing is almost comparable. My Steinhart has gone through 2 of my 14 tough mudders, and I may take it through 15 and 16 this coming summer.

You can't afford or get a milsub, at least no one I know can, you can't get a submariner or submariner date aside from the gray market-most of us can't-so why the hell not!

I don't understand the complaints about these. There is zero logic to the complaints about watches like these. For those who do-then you cannot buy an oxford shirt from anyone other than Brooks Brothers because they made it first-so you are buying counterfeits and knock offs from everyone else, same with your polo shirt, and same with your motorcycle and car. Oh-and that house of yours, your colonial, ranch, etc. (arts and craft style-only Frank Lloyd Wright designed and built the original, so all of you bungalow owners are perpetrating a fraud?) are rip-offs from the original builder. Oh-wait-you couldn't get the first one, right? But, you liked the look so you had one built for you. Or you bought a similar one.

Or instead of Brooks Brothers you bought that counterfeit/homage/ripoff from Polo? Oh, wait a minute-you liked the look of the original so because you could not actually get the original, you accepted a substitute that looked just like the original...hmmmm.

Now that it seems like there are frauds in our midst...they should all give up their fake/counterfeit/homage wares...and go naked into the world, because that underwear you are wearing is also a homage...but, I digress..

great review, and at that price who cares if timekeeping is perfect, it is a great piece and I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 04:42 AM   #3
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
Why not? I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!
I am, thanks Greg! Still at 3 seconds a day!

What's a mudder?

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 11 January 2022, 02:35 PM   #4
Greglaw
Banned

Michael a Tough Mudder is 10-12 mile obstacle course...still doing them at 57!
Old 12 January 2022, 02:05 AM   #5
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
Michael a Tough Mudder is 10-12 mile obstacle course...still doing them at 57!
Good for you! The only time I run anywhere is if someone is chasing me...

Old 12 January 2022, 06:15 AM   #6
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Steinhart makes a great watch. I went with Squale because of their case curvature and the better cyclops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FF7A21F8-FECE-4842-8FAE-499E7B06C53A.jpeg (108.6 KB, 318 views)

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 01:51 PM   #7
Greglaw
Banned

The Squale is cool, too, been thinking about getting one!
Old 12 January 2022, 02:22 PM   #8
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Nice review!

I had a Hamilton khaki years ago for the same reason. It defiantly wasn’t anywhere near Rolex standards but for $600 or whatever it cost, it was pretty darn good. Wish i kept it, it’s nice to have something inexpensive to beat around in that’s not a Gshock.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2023, 05:23 AM   #9
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Late to the conversation, but I have owned a Steinhart Ocean One Bronze for 4-5 years with excellent and accurate service. Love it.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2023, 09:16 AM   #10
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Reviews help horological pursuits. The original acrylic Steinhart Ocean 39 Explorer went up in price because of demand and their quality..and looks. An ETA 2824 elabore caliber
in a watch that looks like a 5513 Submariner with Explorer dial. Bombproof case and movement. The 2824 movement is a workhorse found in many brands selling for much more. Imagine a collector item shortly after the original 300 acrylics sold. Such is the Ocean 39 Explorer Sub. I bought two of the sapphire crystal versions and they are truly tough.
Service is amazing.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote