The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 January 2023, 04:30 AM   #121
APhound
"TRF" Member

Nobody justifies this stuff better than me I promise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2023, 12:58 PM   #122
BrunoMalik
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
My guess would be that most AP buyers have so many watches that they rarely wear the same watch back to back enough days to know there's a time keeping issue.
Guilty as charged

BrunoMalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 06:12 PM   #123
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

These brands are all shooting the selves in the foot by mistreating long time loyal customers that have bought before the watches were hype pieces. Sad.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 11:47 PM   #124
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
I recently traded in a bmw M8 and when I thought about how much it cost to drive it each time it was pretty silly. Had it less than five months and took a wild beating.

Was that because of the high gas prices?
The M8 is a beautiful beast.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 01:17 AM   #125
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I only own one AP (black ceramic diver) and I bought it from DavidSW back in the day. The AP dealer by my house lost the brand, and now I’d have to go to LA or presumably Vegas which is where I originally looked at ROOs.

Last time I looked at AP at my old local dealer several years ago they had Royal Oaks sitting in the case. At that time they also sold FPJ and Richard Mille. Now they don’t even sell a single brand I would buy.

I found out my main AD for Rolex and Patek recently lost Patek where I had enough clout with them to get a couple application pieces. So that’s great… So I feel for folks who invested in the brand and are getting shafted. I have application pieces and have toured Patek but I’m now the same to them as anyone walking in off the street asking for a steel sports watch. Fortunately I am kind of at my endgame with them anyway and really what I want is a perpetual chronograph which makes no sense to buy from an AD anyway unless you want access to application pieces.

It kind of bums me out. I almost forgot that in addition to Patek they also lost ALS, so another brand I like I’m now in the back of the line with them as well.

The good news is Grand Seikos seem easy to get haha.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 11:17 AM   #126
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I only own one AP (black ceramic diver) and I bought it from DavidSW back in the day. The AP dealer by my house lost the brand, and now I’d have to go to LA or presumably Vegas which is where I originally looked at ROOs.

Last time I looked at AP at my old local dealer several years ago they had Royal Oaks sitting in the case. At that time they also sold FPJ and Richard Mille. Now they don’t even sell a single brand I would buy.

I found out my main AD for Rolex and Patek recently lost Patek where I had enough clout with them to get a couple application pieces. So that’s great… So I feel for folks who invested in the brand and are getting shafted. I have application pieces and have toured Patek but I’m now the same to them as anyone walking in off the street asking for a steel sports watch. Fortunately I am kind of at my endgame with them anyway and really what I want is a perpetual chronograph which makes no sense to buy from an AD anyway unless you want access to application pieces.

It kind of bums me out. I almost forgot that in addition to Patek they also lost ALS, so another brand I like I’m now in the back of the line with them as well.

At least you can still get lunch at madera at the rosewood and check out some independents;)

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 11:40 AM   #127
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
At least you can still get lunch at madera at the rosewood and check out some independents;)

Laurent Ferrier and?

The new brunch menu looks good though!
Old 16 January 2023, 04:17 PM   #128
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Laurent Ferrier and?

The new brunch menu looks good though!

I think they have mb&f and roger dubuis. Idk about urwerk

Old 16 January 2023, 10:53 PM   #129
The Londonist
"TRF" Member

Closing my AP chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post

That’s a fabulous beach - whereabouts is it?

Thanks
The Londonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 11:02 PM   #130
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I feel your pain. I knew it was over for me when my ALS boutique turned me down for a stainless Odysseus on the first day that they were taking applications for them, supposedly, even though I'd purchased 3 watches from them previously. But I feel good about having turned my watch collecting into a spectator sport, I no longer suffer injuries (to my pride).
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 11:58 PM   #131
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I feel your pain. I knew it was over for me when my ALS boutique turned me down for a stainless Odysseus on the first day that they were taking applications for them, supposedly, even though I'd purchased 3 watches from them previously. But I feel good about having turned my watch collecting into a spectator sport, I no longer suffer injuries (to my pride).
…nor to the wallet.

At least ALS showed the courtesy of taking your application, I hope.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 12:13 AM   #132
SRG89
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. I love the Odysseus myself and have actually thought about purchasing an up down with the idea it would lead to an Odysseus. I don't see how you wouldn't be considered with 3 watches under your belt.

This is where I'm falling out of love with this hobby. We all work hard for our money, we can no longer save up and purchase a watch to celebrate an occasion or milestone. The milestone is now being allocated the watch as someone in this forum rightly said.
I'm tired of brands gatekeeping certain models. I'm willing to guess the residuals on the 3 ALS you've bought are not what you purchased them for.
How many more models do they want you to buy (which you wouldn't necessarily want) just to get offered an Odysseus?
I'm purposely looking at brands now where their models have no waitlist and no bs attached.
I'll get welcomed with a smile at least!
SRG89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 12:34 AM   #133
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
…nor to the wallet.

At least ALS showed the courtesy of taking your application, I hope.
Actually, they were very nice about it, not making me go through the effort of filling out a lot of paperwork, and explaining that I wouldn't make the cut, at that point. I had been showing some interest in buying one of the black dial 1815 chronographs and was told that if I bundled that with the Odysseus, that might do the trick. As a comfort, my AD explained that the boutique's annual allocation of the Odysseus was already spoken for before the official release had been made and that anyone who was allowed to order one would be waiting at least a year. At that point I gave up my interest in acquiring new watches.
It really worked out for the best until some guy named Screwly began posting pics of his new RG Continuum and I began to experience that familiar craving. Fortunately, that's unobtaniuum, also.
Old 17 January 2023, 01:28 AM   #134
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It really worked out for the best until some guy named Screwly began posting pics of his new RG Continuum and I began to experience that familiar craving. Fortunately, that's unobtaniuum, also.
Seems like it. Inquired on the RG website about the grey dial bracelet model. No response whatsoever.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 02:31 AM   #135
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Seems like it. Inquired on the RG website about the grey dial bracelet model. No response whatsoever.
That's been my experience over the past four or five weeks. I've left at least four inquiries and zip, zero, zilch, nada nothing in the way of a response.
But it's better this way, for me, at least. I feel like the watch industry has dumped me and it gets confirmed when I attempt to make contact with them. There's no way in without spending $500,000 as an opener with AP, PP, RG, ALS, FPJ. But I really want to be over it and move on to other stuff.
Old 17 January 2023, 02:35 AM   #136
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I remember going to a Zoom announcement thing with ALS through my AD. Could have ordered one but with the round case to me it seemed like a trying to hard kind of cash in piece. I should have bought one anyway and stuck it in the bank safe.
Old 17 January 2023, 02:37 AM   #137
SRG89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's been my experience over the past four or five weeks. I've left at least four inquiries and zip, zero, zilch, nada nothing in the way of a response.
But it's better this way, for me, at least. I feel like the watch industry has dumped me and it gets confirmed when I attempt to make contact with them. There's no way in without spending $500,000 as an opener with AP, PP, RG, ALS, FPJ. But I really want to be over it and move on to other stuff.
PP is particularly annoying the way every single model seems pretty unobtainable.
I prefer steel Patek's in their dress models - partly due to the price being more accessible also. The new salmon dial world timer is approx £50k and i've been told no chance so what's the point!

What is the 'other stuff' you're looking at out of interest? JLC seems a no hype / wait brand. They do frustrate me with their finishing however
Old 17 January 2023, 02:37 AM   #138
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was pretty much out of it except I was in my AD buying jewelry and they showed me a DD40 I couldn’t pass on. Now after having been off the site here for a couple years I’m right back in.
Old 17 January 2023, 02:39 AM   #139
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG89 View Post
PP is particularly annoying the way every single model seems pretty unobtainable.
I prefer steel Patek's in their dress models - partly due to the price being more accessible also. The new salmon dial world timer is approx £50k and i've been told no chance so what's the point!

What is the 'other stuff' you're looking at out of interest? JLC seems a no hype / wait brand. They do frustrate me with their finishing however
+1. I really want to like JLC but when I have tried them on there’s always something not quite right about them.
Old 17 January 2023, 02:48 AM   #140
SRG89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
+1. I really want to like JLC but when I have tried them on there’s always something not quite right about them.
What frustrates me most is they can make stuff that blows most brands out of the water and it doesn't make it's way into their regular production models.
They're showing us Ferrari's and selling us Fiat's
Old 17 January 2023, 03:24 AM   #141
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I feel like the watch industry has dumped me and it gets confirmed when I attempt to make contact with them. There's no way in without spending $500,000 as an opener with AP, PP, RG, ALS, FPJ.
For this, and some of the other "Goodbye AP" post in this thread, I'm curious what the goal was? Certainly one doesn't need to spend $500k to secure an allocation of a standard production RO or ROC. At that level, and with some patience (measured in years, not weeks), a steel Jumbo or open worked or a somewhat limited few-hundred piece LE, would be in the cards. If on the other hand the object of desire is something truly low production (like an RD3, tourbillon openworked or ceramic openworked QP), one needs to be realistic about one's place in the food chain. If a boutique get's one piece a year for a watch that 10 of their best customers with 7-figure+ spent have asked for, then not being considered for it is not a personal slight.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 03:24 AM   #142
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What frustrates me most is they can make stuff that blows most brands out of the water and it doesn't make it's way into their regular production models.
They're showing us Ferrari's and selling us Fiat's
Yeah. I really wanted to like the black dial perpetual they put out a couple years ago at a good price point. I forget where I was when I handled it but you could feel the price point in the dial finishing especially. There are plenty of $3000 watches with nicer looking dial finishes IMHO.

Back on AP I checked a couple gray market spots and man it’s not like it used to be. Super inflated prices for stuff that used to go under MSRP new in box sealed.
Old 17 January 2023, 03:33 AM   #143
SRG89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
For this, and some of the other "Goodbye AP" post in this thread, I'm curious what the goal was? Certainly one doesn't need to spend $500k to secure an allocation of a standard production RO or ROC. At that level, and with some patience (measured in years, not weeks), a steel Jumbo or open worked or a somewhat limited few-hundred piece LE, would be in the cards. If on the other hand the object of desire is something truly low production (like an RD3, tourbillon openworked or ceramic openworked QP), one needs to be realistic about one's place in the food chain. If a boutique get's one piece a year for a watch that 10 of their best customers with 7-figure+ spent have asked for, then not being considered for it is not a personal slight.
One example I could give is with Patek - I know of multiple people being quote 5-6 years for a 6119 Calatrava at the London Boutique. Bearing in mind you're only allowed to register for one watch at a time with them - where do you go with that?
Old 17 January 2023, 05:06 AM   #144
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The other stuff is antique firearms which were not doable when I lived in NYC. In New Mexico it's a different story. I've sold a few of my watches to pay for them and it's been a pleasure taking advantage of the disparity between the prices of wrist watches and everything else. Some of the people I've met in the antique firearms biz complain vociferously because the prices of some of the things they want to buy are up 15-20% over the last three years.
Old 17 January 2023, 05:17 AM   #145
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
One example I could give is with Patek - I know of multiple people being quote 5-6 years for a 6119 Calatrava at the London Boutique. Bearing in mind you're only allowed to register for one watch at a time with them - where do you go with that?
Simple - request a watch you actually want. If you're not into a Calatrava, Patek probably isn't the brand for you. A Calatrava is the quintessential, one and done, Patek.

But yes, I hear you, and feel similarly, albeit more about other brands - including AP if I am to be frank.
Old 17 January 2023, 05:20 AM   #146
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The truth is, I'm happy not to be in the scrum trying to get any watch at all. My recent flirtation with the Continuum, although brief, reminded me of how much I dislike having to pursue a particular piece. Figuring out how to open the door to a watchmaker is draining. I like simple, low complication watches from high end brands and those have become the "loyalty reward" pieces.
Participating on the Forum is enough wrist watch entertainment for me at the moment.
Old 17 January 2023, 11:28 AM   #147
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The truth is, I'm happy not to be in the scrum trying to get any watch at all. My recent flirtation with the Continuum, although brief, reminded me of how much I dislike having to pursue a particular piece. Figuring out how to open the door to a watchmaker is draining. I like simple, low complication watches from high end brands and those have become the "loyalty reward" pieces.
Participating on the Forum is enough wrist watch entertainment for me at the moment.

What’s the Continuum ?

Old 17 January 2023, 01:02 PM   #148
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
What’s the Continuum ?
This, presumably: https://www.romaingauthier.com/continuum
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 01:11 PM   #149
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Quote:

What happened with your continuum quest?

126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 02:09 PM   #150
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Got it thanks never heard of it - interesting