The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 15 May 2023, 09:32 AM   #1
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Boutique being blunt with spending

I know this should belong to the Omega forum but I feel that this may be a general issue with all brands.

I stopped by the local Swatch owned Omega Boutique as I have always wanted a silver Snoopy being a Peanut fan. And I started by asking if Ed White 321 may be available and the exact answer was: "That is really hard to get; even harder than a silver Snoopy. You need to have about $300000 spend on your profile to get one". Since my real interest was the silver Snoopy, I asked what is the requirement for it. The answer was that I need to spend $130000. At that point, I said: "I cannot see how I can spend $130000 here". Her response: "It is not a sprint, it can be a marathlon." And then I inquired since Breguet is also in the same group, will it be possible for me to spend on Breguet since I genuinely is interested in some models in the Tradition line. But she said no, it has to be on Omega.

Is all the brands going crazy? Or just this Omega (or Omega boutique)? I did a quick search and found most Silver Snoopy is selling at 1.8x retail which is $8000 over MSRP and the 321 is even worse at about $3000 premium. Am I missing something here? I can now see being asked to buy $100k worth of diamonds to get a 5990A is actually a bargain. At least the 5990a is really $$$ over retail.

I did not even have spend that much at VC to be offered a 222, Overseas skeleton Tourbillon and Overseas skeleton perpetual calendar. All of these command a much higher grey premium by a magnitude. (Not that I plan to buy and sell)

Any thoughts?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 09:35 AM   #2
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

My thoughts are I can’t imagine spending that kind of money on this brand. Wow. That’s just amazing.
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 09:54 AM   #3
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
I like Omega but not that much lol. I’ll give them points for transparency but that’s just nuts.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 09:56 AM   #4
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
You could try another Omega Boutique and/or AD but unfortunately the ratio spend to acquire a limited in demand piece sounds like par for the course. They simply happened to define it for you, vs some others that offered veiled responses of building a spend history / relationship.

I had something similar happen (much lower ratio) at a Vacheron AD when I was inquiring about getting an OverSeas. Needless to say I walked away.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 10:03 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues

Should have told him/her/they are smoking straight d****.

Everyone has to make their projections but I personally am snatching up things I’ve wanted hand over fist secondary. The ADs are all still smoking crack and pretending it’s 2021. The secondary market is currently knee deep in mud.
Old 15 May 2023, 10:46 AM   #6
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Should have told him/her/they are smoking straight d****.

Everyone has to make their projections but I personally am snatching up things I’ve wanted hand over fist secondary. The ADs are all still smoking crack and pretending it’s 2021. The secondary market is currently knee deep in mud.

When I was asked to spend $500k for a 7811a at Tiffany about 3 years ago. I thought that was lunacy. I would have never imagined that one day Omega would be in the same league.
Old 15 May 2023, 10:59 AM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
When I was asked to spend $500k for a 7811a at Tiffany about 3 years ago. I thought that was lunacy. I would have never imagined that one day Omega would be in the same league.

They are mad. I could get an Ed white for 18000 or snoopy for 19k in 30 minutes. Nobody in their right mind is working towards an omega allocation in this market.
Old 15 May 2023, 11:56 AM   #8
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I know speedmaster fans are aplenty but I genuinely do not know anyone who has spent 6 figures plus at an Omega boutique
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 12:28 PM   #9
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I would not spend ANY amount over msrp for the watch. And not a dime for anything that I don't want. Thats just ridiculous for any brand. But there's people dumb enough to do just that every day. I am not one of them.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 12:36 PM   #10
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
They are mad. I could get an Ed white for 18000 or snoopy for 19k in 30 minutes. Nobody in their right mind is working towards an omega allocation in this market.

Exactly. I found it ridiculous if the secondary price is not even that strong. If I have extra $300k to spend, I would add to my Patek profile to get an application piece.
Old 15 May 2023, 12:45 PM   #11
logo
"TRF" Member

It’s not that there’s a flat $300k entry price to an Ed White, it’s that for whatever reason, in your case they won’t sell it to you without $300k. That “entry price” is not the same for everyone. Some here have acquired from a boutique with zero previous spend. I think they just don’t want you to have one.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 12:52 PM   #12
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
It’s not that there’s a flat $300k entry price to an Ed White, it’s that for whatever reason, in your case they won’t sell it to you without $300k. That “entry price” is not the same for everyone. Some here have acquired from a boutique with zero previous spend. I think they just don’t want you to have one.

Must be. But she was very eager to show me a couple of the PM Speedmasters.

Or she can tell that I am only interested in a snoopy. Which I must admit it is true.
Old 15 May 2023, 01:36 PM   #13
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Unfortunately you already missed the boat for the Silver Snoopy. If you wanted one, you should've put your name and deposit down in September 2020 for it.

Allocations for Silver Snoopy's are pretty much done for US Omega boutiques. Boutiques are basically only getting new ones for the big spending whale.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 01:45 PM   #14
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Unfortunately you already missed the boat for the Silver Snoopy. If you wanted one, you should've put your name and deposit down in September 2020 for it.

Allocations for Silver Snoopy's are pretty much done for US Omega boutiques. Boutiques are basically only getting new ones for the big spending whale.

That’s okay. It is meant to be a watch to make me smile. There are other pieces of which I am chasing.
Old 15 May 2023, 03:31 PM   #15
MikeHoncho
"TRF" Member

Sounds like BS from this sales person. What combination from their catalog over the years can even meet that spend.

I thought I read on here that someone got a Snoopy by grouping it with a single PM?
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 03:32 PM   #16
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

This is BS from a sales person in a Swatch-owned boutique or AD specialized with Swatch group brands. Another word with her will be a waste of time.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 04:39 PM   #17
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post

This is what the OB I visited said when I bought my Speedmaster Moonphase. The store manager was very straight up with me since I work in retail as well. He said the allocations are all filled but if “a VIP client” with $100k in spend at the boutique wanted one, he could make that happen. It wasn’t so much a “you have to spend $100k to get one” as much as “they are all spoken for now, but I’ll make one appear for you if you drop $100k”.

Money always talks I suppose, but hard to think about spending six figures on just Omega.
Carguy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 06:01 PM   #18
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

I desire the Snoopy and 321 but I honestly would have a hard time paying MSRP for either one of them
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 09:08 PM   #19
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Such is the game. We will see how this works out for Omega.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 09:55 PM   #20
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 4000V
The SA is out of his/her mind…LOL. The Ed White can be had for a few thousand more than MSRP + tax.
Old 15 May 2023, 10:46 PM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Exactly this ^^^.

If you truly want a Snoopy and you have the means, I’d go gray, or I’d shop it at a different boutique
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 11:17 PM   #22
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Is there even 300k to spend on Omega and not have the bulk of the collection? Give me a break. I'd have laughed in the salesperson's face because as you and everyone else pointed out, you could easily pay a far lower premium on the grey market and have the watch versus spending 300k on stuff you don't want to be waitlisted for the watch.

The truth is, they don't want you to have the watch and put it in a very rude way. The proper response should have been, "There's a very long waitlist for this watch and we have many customers with loyalty to this boutique who are waiting. I am happy to take your name down, but being realistic that you might never be called based on the list we currently have." Honest, direct.

The boutique is obviously not obligated to sell you the watch, but they should be obligated to treat their potential customers kindly.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 11:21 PM   #23
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

That's a pretty high spend requirement for a not that expensive watch, maybe the sales person thought you looked like $$$ and they were trying their luck

Come to Singapore and buy, the last time I checked they asked me to spend $50-$60K SGD to jump the Snoopy queue, but even then I told them there isn't $50-$60K worth of Omega watches that I like. I ended up going grey for a brand new 321 and couldn't be happier, I barely paid over retail too.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 11:30 PM   #24
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Is there even 300k to spend on Omega and not have the bulk of the collection? Give me a break. I'd have laughed in the salesperson's face because as you and everyone else pointed out, you could easily pay a far lower premium on the grey market and have the watch versus spending 300k on stuff you don't want to be waitlisted for the watch.

The truth is, they don't want you to have the watch and put it in a very rude way. The proper response should have been, "There's a very long waitlist for this watch and we have many customers with loyalty to this boutique who are waiting. I am happy to take your name down, but being realistic that you might never be called based on the list we currently have." Honest, direct.

The boutique is obviously not obligated to sell you the watch, but they should be obligated to treat their potential customers kindly.
I honestly think that the sales lady did mean what she said about the spend though. As she recognized and even discussed about the Patek 5968G and the RO which my wife and I were wearing. She commented that it must have been very difficult to obtain the Patek. I almost replied that I spent a lot less than $130000 and probably could sell the Patek with a 10x profit compare to the silver snoppy but stopped myself.

But I agree that being treated this way leaves a sour taste in my mouth. A straight waitlist is closed but I can take down your name would have worked much better.
Old 15 May 2023, 11:39 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Is there even 300k to spend on Omega and not have the bulk of the collection? ...

If I understand the OP, the real ask was $130k.

The 321 Platinum, and the 321 Canopus Gold would get you there

Or you could buy one Tourbillon and get there easily

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...52953432299001
Old 16 May 2023, 12:03 AM   #26
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
If I understand the OP, the real ask was $130k.

The 321 Platinum, and the 321 Canopus Gold would get you there

Or you could buy one Tourbillon and get there easily

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...52953432299001
Makes sense. I was being facetious as Omega is really starting to make precious metal watches that are absolutely gorgeous (and expensive at MSRP). I've said it over and over in other threads: I just feel lucky my AD tells me straight up what to expect. I have yet to be misled by them and I'm probably a light to moderate spender compared to what I am sure they get from other customers.

Speaking of which, thought I'd address you directly: I always love your choices in your collection. Thoughtful, similar to what I am interested in and would buy, and well curated.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 12:16 AM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Makes sense. I was being facetious as Omega is really starting to make precious metal watches that are absolutely gorgeous (and expensive at MSRP). I've said it over and over in other threads: I just feel lucky my AD tells me straight up what to expect. I have yet to be misled by them and I'm probably a light to moderate spender compared to what I am sure they get from other customers.

Speaking of which, thought I'd address you directly: I always love your choices in your collection. Thoughtful, similar to what I am interested in and would buy, and well curated.
thank you very much ... great minds as they say

I figured you were poking a bit of fun, nothing wrong with that lol.

I just wanted others who might not be as familiar with the brand and reading this post to know that there's some pretty high horology coming out of Omega as well, albeit WAY out of my price range

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2023, 12:30 AM   #28
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
What a joke brand!
Idea's way way above their station!
Just buy from a trusted grey and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 12:32 AM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooey View Post
What a joke brand!
Idea's way way above their station!
Just buy from a trusted grey and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
A joke brand Marco?

Agreed the ask from the AD in this case seems unreal, but how is it different than other brands who implore the same metrics to get “allocation or special” pieces?
Old 16 May 2023, 01:13 AM   #30
SvenNikolai
"TRF" Member

The announcement of this particular Omega Botique about the sum mentioned is absolutely absurd. Are there actually people doing this? No, nobody will. So I think a) the seller is a comedian or b) the seller is crazy.

P.S. I think a lot of Omega watches are very, very good!
Only the business manners here are disgusting.
SvenNikolai is offline   Reply With Quote