The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 28 May 2023, 10:03 AM   #31
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogster View Post
Back in November, I dropped into my local BMW Dealer and put down a deposit on the new G87 M2. Two days later, the dealer called me to tell me that they wont sell me the car, however it could be available if I financed it with them.

Refusing their offer, my deposit was returned.

I contact BMW head office and told them just how displeased I was with their dealer. They responded that their dealers are free to run their businesses any way they like.

So did I pout and run off to Porsche?

Nope, I found another dealer who was prepared to accept my offer.

My new M2 arrives in 2-weeks.
Congratulations
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 11:06 AM   #32
Oat Willy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 116610LV
they should roll out a full Peanuts line of speedys. i'd be down for a pigpen, or a great pumpkin halloween version, or a charlie brown christmas version with the whole peanuts gang on it
Oat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 02:10 PM   #33
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
To be honest I find that practice garbage also and I know the boutique sop regarding this. I happen to be a repeat customer so I made myself clear one time after they held over 20k for watches for over a year, I would never do that again. Since then I've been exempted to pay in advance.

But I do know this is the standard and in all fairness they did say they would get you the watch..... Should you want you wait. But agreed the practice is bogus.

It’d be good for Omega to get rid of taking deposits as a sales practice. I wonder why they do it - the only two reasons I can think of is for cash flow reasons (better to get the money upfront, there’s a time value to money) or they are not confident they can keep the demand (of course people can always get their money back, but paying a deposit better secures the sale).
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 02:38 PM   #34
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Back in November, I dropped into my local BMW Dealer and put down a deposit on the new G87 M2. Two days later, the dealer called me to tell me that they wont sell me the car, however it could be available if I financed it with them.

Refusing their offer, my deposit was returned.

I contacted BMW head office and told them just how displeased I was with their dealer. They responded that their dealers are free to run their businesses any way they like.

So did I pout and run off to Porsche?

Nope, I found another dealer who was prepared to accept my offer.

My new M2 arrives in 2-weeks.
Pretty different scenarios.

First - I paid in full + taxes for the product. This isn’t even a deposit. I paid for it.

Second - the dealer changed the terms on you in 2 days. Omega held onto my money (remember, paid in full + taxes) for 2 years, and then told me I’d have to wait at least another year. I actually said in my post it would’ve been better if in the first month they called people and returned their deposit if they knew the watch couldn’t be allocated to them within a year. Be upfront and honest.

Third - you went to a dealership (privately owned not by BMW), I went to an Omega owned and run store. I had a great SA, but his hands were tied when it came to Snoopy allocation and “deposit” practices. I honestly did not have any reason to believe my experience would be any different at another OB.

I’ll also add, that the practice of taking money paid in full for a product is actually illegal in some countries without certain conditions. Which makes sense because it can be deceptive. I believe it was the UK? where Omega didn’t take deposits as they legally aren’t allowed to, something like if you pay in full for something, the manufacturer needs to tell you when they will deliver that product and they are legally required to.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 03:11 PM   #35
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post

First - I paid in full + taxes for the product. This isn’t even a deposit. I paid for it.

Second - the dealer changed the terms on you in 2 days. Omega held onto my money (remember, paid in full + taxes) for 2 years, and then told me I’d have to wait at least another year. I actually said in my post it would’ve been better if in the first month they called people and returned their deposit if they knew the watch couldn’t be allocated to them within a year. Be upfront and honest.

Third - you went to a dealership (privately owned not by BMW), I went to an Omega owned and run store. I had a great SA, but his hands were tied when it came to Snoopy allocation and “deposit” practices. I honestly did not have any reason to believe my experience would be any different at another OB.

I’ll also add, that the practice of taking money paid in full for a product is actually illegal in some countries without certain conditions. Which makes sense because it can be deceptive. I believe it was the UK? where Omega didn’t take deposits as they legally aren’t allowed to, something like if you pay in full for something, the manufacturer needs to tell you when they will deliver that product and they are legally required to.

I had a signed agreement with the dealer. They accepted consideration for my purchase offer.

The difference is that I didn't give up.
Trogster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 01:15 PM   #36
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

Honestly most people who get the snoopy find the experience very underwhelming. There is nothing substantial about the watch. It comes on a Velcro strap. And the best part of the watch is the animated casebavk which you don’t see while wearing it. The premium now is 8-9k over msrp. When it first came out ot was around 20k over. Omega is deliberately trying to make it a hype watch when the market is showing that demand is decreasing even after accounting for the recent watch market crash. I would much rather wait 2 years for an Ed White than a Snoopy. Probably the most overhyped watch in the whole industry.
Fencer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 03:58 PM   #37
sasuke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post

show us the receipt that it is not a deposit. mine says deposit from the get go.
sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 10:22 PM   #38
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Snoopy confirms Omega's obsession with gimmicks and fake scarcity. Releasing garbage plastic Speedmasters is what really diminished the brand. I will never buy another Omega.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 01:52 AM   #39
SvenNikolai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
Snoopy confirms Omega's obsession with gimmicks and fake scarcity. Releasing garbage plastic Speedmasters is what really diminished the brand. I will never buy another Omega.
You're quite testy about Omega. Incidentally, it is already the third model from the Snoopy series and is therefore a continuation. Surely you bought the first (2003) and second (2015) model when nobody was yelling for it, right?!
As far as the Moonswatch goes, there are a lot of people who just enjoy it too. Allow them this joy. I have the impression that this Moonswatch will have a positive effect in general. Of course not with you.
SvenNikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 02:16 AM   #40
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
Whether the brand is diminished from a given release depends on your perspective - if you view them as one might view Rolex, then sure you might be right. But I’d argue that image is not at all what Omega is as a brand and not what they are trying to be. Just look at their past slogans:

Omega. Exact time for life.
Significant Moments.
Omega. The right time for life.
Omega. The sign of excellence.
The link between the past and the future.
The Watch The World Has Learned To Trust.

In fact, I’d argue there isn’t a single brand doing what Omega can do. They value timekeeping, and respecting history. Not luxury. They can appeal to the masses with a MoonSwatch, or they can appeal to the everyday consumer with a rock solid movement in the master chronometer range, or appeal to haute horology with perhaps one of the most complicated movements in existence, the chrono chime minute repeater, or the titanium movement Aqua Terra Ultra Light. That’s a service range in an active catalogue from $250 to $500,000. Very impressive and shows the confidence they have in their brand to be able to do that, all while not being pretentious about it. Can’t afford a moon watch? No problem, everyone should be able to take part in this history so here’s a MoonSwatch. Personally, I enjoy how Omega isn’t afraid to show their personality in watch making. Fun colors, new designs and new technology all while paying significant respect to their history (moon, NASA, Olympics, Bond etc). The fact they did a 321 reissue speaks volumes about what they value as a brand IMO.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 02:26 AM   #41
Cassidyanne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer28 View Post
Honestly most people who get the snoopy find the experience very underwhelming. There is nothing substantial about the watch. It comes on a Velcro strap. And the best part of the watch is the animated casebavk which you don’t see while wearing it. The premium now is 8-9k over msrp. When it first came out ot was around 20k over. Omega is deliberately trying to make it a hype watch when the market is showing that demand is decreasing even after accounting for the recent watch market crash. I would much rather wait 2 years for an Ed White than a Snoopy. Probably the most overhyped watch in the whole industry.
The Ed White, you mean. A 3861 or 1861 does the trick. A money grab from Omega for wannabe astronauts!!!
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 02:30 AM   #42
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidyanne View Post
The Ed White, you mean. A 3861 or 1861 does the trick. A money grab from Omega for wannabe astronauts!!!
Not sure what you mean
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 02:43 AM   #43
SvenNikolai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidyanne View Post

Now it's getting pretty ridiculous...
SvenNikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 02:47 AM   #44
tenementhall
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I disagree. The Snoopy commemorates the only time a mechanical watch was truly a part of human history (Apollo 13).

In many ways it’s the most special watch in the industry, beyond today’s “flex” culture of Rolex and Patek (both of which I own, but have no real historical importance)
tenementhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 04:16 AM   #45
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have to admit, I wear the 321 Ed White a lot and very rarely wear the snoopy....snoopy is a fun novelty...321 is for serious wear.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 05:57 PM   #46
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Whether the brand is diminished from a given release depends on your perspective - if you view them as one might view Rolex, then sure you might be right. But I’d argue that image is not at all what Omega is as a brand and not what they are trying to be. Just look at their past slogans:

Omega. Exact time for life.
Significant Moments.
Omega. The right time for life.
Omega. The sign of excellence.
The link between the past and the future.
The Watch The World Has Learned To Trust.

In fact, I’d argue there isn’t a single brand doing what Omega can do. They value timekeeping, and respecting history. Not luxury. They can appeal to the masses with a MoonSwatch, or they can appeal to the everyday consumer with a rock solid movement in the master chronometer range, or appeal to haute horology with perhaps one of the most complicated movements in existence, the chrono chime minute repeater, or the titanium movement Aqua Terra Ultra Light. That’s a service range in an active catalogue from $250 to $500,000. Very impressive and shows the confidence they have in their brand to be able to do that, all while not being pretentious about it. Can’t afford a moon watch? No problem, everyone should be able to take part in this history so here’s a MoonSwatch. Personally, I enjoy how Omega isn’t afraid to show their personality in watch making. Fun colors, new designs and new technology all while paying significant respect to their history (moon, NASA, Olympics, Bond etc). The fact they did a 321 reissue speaks volumes about what they value as a brand IMO.

Well said^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 09:47 PM   #47
petay993
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD MN21, BLRO
Quote:
Well this person didn't!

petay993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2023, 10:05 AM   #48
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If isn't Snoopy, by itself.

What hurts the brand is the never ending "Limited Edition" mania that consumes the company.

Every year, or multiple times each year, they come up with another cosmetic change and call it a Limited Edition, over and over.
Old 10 June 2023, 10:07 AM   #49
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

What hurts the brand is the never ending "Limited Edition" mania that consumes the company.

Every year, or multiple times each year, they come up with another cosmetic change and call it a Limited Edition, over and over.
They actually stopped doing LE's a couple of years ago. Now it's just limited production/special editions without the numbering so they can produce as many or little as they need to make sure none of them sit on the shelf for years like past LE's.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2023, 10:11 AM   #50
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was so upset with Omega for keeping me waiting that I immediately went to Rolex for better treatment.

Hahahahahahaha
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2023, 10:47 PM   #51
VerticalClutch
Banned

I don’t see how having a hot piece that people covet is a bad thing.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2023, 05:55 AM   #52
Cassidyanne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Nobody beat Panerai in terms of limited and special additions, back a decade or so ago. Just completely killed the brand.
Old 11 June 2023, 06:03 AM   #53
Cassidyanne
Banned

Quote:
Well, one could argue that the 2015 Snoopy release was even more underwhelming yet, because only enthusiasts had caught on, its value in the aftermarket, is quite a bit more than the recent release. And….. it did quite the opposite of hurting the brand, brought quite a bit of attention and anticipation for for the recent Snoopy!!
Old 28 August 2023, 09:59 PM   #54
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

I just wan to add my two cents ….. here in my country we have only 1 AD … run by a well know family…. They delivers the Snoopy to anybody that came with the money …. No list no nothing….. but here is the catch they put a big big markup on for example the first one to arrive (well that was taken by one of the owners) the second one was sold for $25,000 usd and that watch was put in the show room and when you ask for the price the SP say its only $25,000

The AD only get 5 snoopy until August 2023 …. No more snoopy for this AD

For the other hand so many people complaining about the watch with a dog … i guess they forget the astronauts choose snoopy as they mascot so that’s gives more sentimental and historical value to this watch
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 11:51 PM   #55
jdb8298177
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai- 0100
I think it helped the brand I personally really love the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdb8298177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 11:33 AM   #56
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Omega is thanking it's lucky stars (lol) that they have snoopy
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote