The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 June 2023, 01:40 PM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Lyre lug love...or hate?

I've tried 3 different iterations of the Speedmaster and none have stuck around. I'm not 100% sure what it is about the Speedy, but I've always thought that the twisted lugs might have something to do with why I can't seem to keep one.

On the other hand, I've had this Seamaster 300m for over a year now and I still absolutely love it - especially the way the ceramic case shines at the lugs.

So to answer my own question about love or hate...I truly don't know! Maybe it's not about the case shape at all, and just the model / color combo that's getting me (that RG / ceramic is ).

Old 1 June 2023, 02:50 PM   #2
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love this model....except for the size. I am in the smaller wrist group and my SS Seamaster SMPc on rubber strap is right at the sweet spot of being big and sporty. If they had made this model slightly smaller I would have definitly bought. Regarding the Lyre lugs...I agree with you, it depends on the specific watch, I love them on my seamaster, but on my EW321 I prefer the old school straight lugs....maybe because I live diversity in my collection. I want each and every one of my watches to stand on its own and be different from one another.
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 06:33 PM   #3
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Or maybe it’s the totally different dials between a Speedy dial and a Seamaster dial. Two completely different styles. I like the lyre lugs. I think it is a cool differentiator that is unique to Omega.

That ceramic Seamaster is stunning, by the way. I’ve got a standard Diver 300 gray dial that I love, and I don’t think I would get two similar models, but it’s really hard for me not to add a ceramic Seamaster of some sort. I like the 1.5mm larger size, no date, and full ceramic case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 08:17 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
The lyre lugs are what, in my opinion, make Omega, well Omega. Very unique but also classic in their appearance.
Kreyzhorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 08:18 PM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I love them. I'm guessing the ceramic case on the Seamaster is the difference. I recall the first time I saw a ceramic Omega and was astonished.
AEC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 09:23 PM   #6
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 11:01 PM   #7
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdevoe26 View Post
I absolutely love this model....except for the size. I am in the smaller wrist group and my SS Seamaster SMPc on rubber strap is right at the sweet spot of being big and sporty. If they had made this model slightly smaller I would have definitly bought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
That ceramic Seamaster is stunning, by the way. I’ve got a standard Diver 300 gray dial that I love, and I don’t think I would get two similar models, but it’s really hard for me not to add a ceramic Seamaster of some sort. I like the 1.5mm larger size, no date, and full ceramic case.
I think that due to the black case, the watch ultimately doesn't feel or look as large as its measurements. I'm a 39-41mm guy with 6.75" wrists and when I strap this one on, it wears about the same as my Hulk.

I would say just go for it if anyone is looking to buy but is on the fence due to the size - it wears smaller and is gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I love them. I'm guessing the ceramic case on the Seamaster is the difference. I recall the first time I saw a ceramic Omega and was astonished.
Agree on the material and how amazing/different it is!
Old 1 June 2023, 11:39 PM   #8
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse View Post
The lyre lugs are what, in my opinion, make Omega, well Omega. Very unique but also classic in their appearance.
Agree. This is the signature element of a lot of Omegas. I like it personally. Helps to slim down the look of the watch.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 12:29 AM   #9
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParm View Post
especially the way the ceramic case shines at the lugs.

So to answer my own question about love or hate...I truly don't know! Maybe it's not about the case shape at all, and just the model / color combo that's getting me (that RG / ceramic is ).
Have you seen the Apollo 8 Speedmaster? All black ceramic with skeleton dial etched to look like the lunar surface. I had seen photos of it and thought it was cool, but in person…WOW. Honestly such a stunning watch, and yes the ceramic lyre lugs absolutely glisten in the light.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 01:00 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
My for what it’s worth …

I never bonded with the professional Speedy either. I’m also not certain it was the lyre lugs (I do understand the significance) or perhaps it was just the busier dial combined with the bracelet that didn’t work well for me.

Size wise IMHO I wears like a modern 40mm Rolex as you pointed out

When the 321 was introduced I knew I had found nirvana
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 02:30 AM   #11
VerticalClutch
Banned

I have that same watch and love it by the way, one of my favorites to wear.

As for the lyre lugs, I really like them. It's Omega DNA that I feel is missing when it's not there. I recently bought the burgundy dial Speedy 57 and while I like it, I wish it had lyre lugs.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 04:22 AM   #12
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Have you seen the Apollo 8 Speedmaster? All black ceramic with skeleton dial etched to look like the lunar surface. I had seen photos of it and thought it was cool, but in person…WOW. Honestly such a stunning watch, and yes the ceramic lyre lugs absolutely glisten in the light.
Definitely would like to see that one in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
My for what it’s worth …

I never bonded with the professional Speedy either. I’m also not certain it was the lyre lugs (I do understand the significance) or perhaps it was just the busier dial combined with the bracelet that didn’t work well for me.

Size wise IMHO I wears like a modern 40mm Rolex as you pointed out

When the 321 was introduced I knew I had found nirvana
I wish I could get one at retail - I'd scoop it up in the heartbeat. At today's market rate, not so much...
Old 2 June 2023, 05:49 AM   #13
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I personally love the lugs. The appearance appeals to me and at the same time lessons the meaty lugs to a elegant size. All mine have it. Although my PO they are not so pronounced.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 06:08 AM   #14
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agree. Amazing watch and so good in person. It’s quite slim for a Speedy and very comfortable on wrist.

Old 2 June 2023, 10:06 AM   #15
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Agree. Amazing watch and so good in person. It’s quite slim for a Speedy and very comfortable on wrist.

"The black knight!" Looks great!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 10:58 AM   #16
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great photo. This watch tempts me.
Old 2 June 2023, 11:18 AM   #17
Seo
"TRF" Member

Love them.

Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 11:41 AM   #18
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great photo. This watch tempts me.

Thanks. Have you tried it on? If you do it will tempt you even more. I wanted to buy it on the spot but am not really in a position to do that.

Old 2 June 2023, 12:30 PM   #19
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. Have you tried it on? If you do it will tempt you even more. I wanted to buy it on the spot but am not really in a position to do that.

Yes I did try it on. Similarly was tempted on the spot (blown away by it actually), but I subscribe to “walk away and wait” to see if it’s love or transient lust. I’ve got a few milestones coming up with a few other watches on the radar as well so we’ll see what happens.
Old 2 June 2023, 01:46 PM   #20
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes I did try it on. Similarly was tempted on the spot (blown away by it actually), but I subscribe to “walk away and wait” to see if it’s love or transient lust. I’ve got a few milestones coming up with a few other watches on the radar as well so we’ll see what happens.

Right on. That sounds like a good policy. Sometimes I walk away and realize it truly is love, but the financial aspect still keeps me from being able to purchase. Can’t have em all!

Old 24 June 2023, 11:35 PM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Interested to see where you land
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote