The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 June 2020, 01:15 AM   #1
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

If I buy an AP from a grey dealer, how do I ensure that the watch is 100% real

May sound like a silly question but I am looking to give up a huge amount of cash for a first AP watch, and I cannot get it from BT so have to go to a grey dealer.

I am a first time buyer dealing with a grey dealer but what are the ways to ensure that the watch is real and not get scammed? I know the idea of doing the research about their reputation and make sure they have positive reviews from other buyers, etc. but I guess it is a mental thing of mine, that I want to 100% comfortable that I did not get scammed.

I was suggested that I can send the watch to AP for maintenance (just made up something such as the watch is slow or not accurate), and if they check it and return it without any problem identified, that I can be assure that it is 100% real.

Any tips? Thanks.
maruchan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2020, 02:05 AM   #2
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I think you're absolutely right. AP is only source to confirm that the watch is authentic.

Even we have the warranty card number and the serial number of the watch to register at AP website, we still don't know for sure that the whole watch inside is 100% authentic.

That is why they said, buy the seller and the trusted seller is always charge more than Chrono24.

The best way is be patience and get it from the boutique/ADs.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2020, 05:19 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Use a trusted seller here, research the classifieds/reviews for the ones with great reputations like Davidsw who have far too much to lose publicly here by scamming lowly old you, plus most APs have an open caseback so you can check with Google on if the movement is real.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2020, 08:06 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruchan22 View Post
May sound like a silly question but I am looking to give up a huge amount of cash for a first AP watch, and I cannot get it from BT so have to go to a grey dealer.

. . .
Do you mean a real Grey Dealer, or a used watch shop or reseller?

The true Grey Market is a legitimate business that sells new products, bypassing the authorized distributor. They don't sell bogus watches or they wouldn't be in business, it is a crime to sell counterfeits.
Old 5 June 2020, 05:44 AM   #5
opaline460
"TRF" Member

send it in for service
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 02:34 PM   #6
Jayj23
"TRF" Member

I called AP about this before and they told me to get it serviced, which is the easiest way. Otherwise, you could also go to a watch maker and get them to authenticate it (don't have any suggestions unfortunately).

Always buy the seller. Research a little behind the dealer. In HK there are many reputable grey dealers like 28 & rare rare.
Jayj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 05:20 PM   #7
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayj23 View Post
I called AP about this before and they told me to get it serviced, which is the easiest way. Otherwise, you could also go to a watch maker and get them to authenticate it (don't have any suggestions unfortunately).

Always buy the seller. Research a little behind the dealer. In HK there are many reputable grey dealers like 28 & rare rare.
Thanks, do you have any idea of luxe ware in HK?
Old 6 June 2020, 05:55 PM   #8
Jayj23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruchan22 View Post
Thanks, do you have any idea of luxe ware in HK?
I have contacted Luxeware HK recently (yesterday) and waiting response. They have a strong presence on Chrono but can't find much info on them. Their listings only use stock photos. So Im assuming they are like middle men, you pay then they source the watch. Ill keep you updated on how conversations go if/when receive a response.
Jayj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 06:13 PM   #9
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayj23 View Post
I have contacted Luxeware HK recently (yesterday) and waiting response. They have a strong presence on Chrono but can't find much info on them. Their listings only use stock photos. So Im assuming they are like middle men, you pay then they source the watch. Ill keep you updated on how conversations go if/when receive a response.
I think they do have the stocks that can available for trying. But yes please, it would be great if you can let me know how the conversation goes. Many thanks.