The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 6 June 2020, 03:11 PM   #31
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtFletcher View Post
It is the same scam as the amazon "account locked out" and the others. You receive an email with a trade or "I have a Rolex for sale or trade" There is a link you have to click and it takes you to a page that asks to enter your log in and they got you.

Be alert !
This is probably one way that the account hack happens. My account was hacked and when I asked why my account was banned the mod said I clicked on a link and someone was able to get my password. I went back and searched my account and had not received anything watch related besides my initial verification years before. I don’t use the account much and never deleted anything. Also, I am hyper vigilant about clicking links from an email, no matter how official it looks. I would imagine people can also hack accounts with a brute force password cracker. In the end I paid $12 and was granted access to my account again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 03:33 PM   #32
equinox308
"TRF" Member

So, assuming the original member’s account was hacked- wouldn’t he have notified admins and members here? The account was last active 4pm, and since he’s been banned now wouldn’t he try to rectify this to admins?

Also, with that Zelle transfer and the email the OP wired money to, would this be enough information for a cyber security law enforcement group to trace and track down?

I like to fry people like this whether it’s the initial member with malicious intent or truly a hacker... anyone with feedback and ideas to help the OP with his loss?
equinox308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 03:35 PM   #33
equinox308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Hasan Chowdury has been using the same scamming method on the Porsche Rennlist Forum Larry.

Would it be fair to change this thread header?
I’m on Porsche Rennlist and 6Speed also - could you please provide links and the screen names so I’m aware?
Old 6 June 2020, 03:39 PM   #34
dummykid
"TRF" Member

I have already filed report with my bank and IC3 , so far this is the only thing I know I could do. When I called my bank fraud department this morning around 7ish, I was told the money was already transferred and he couldn’t do anything except filed the report and let department follow up the case.

Regarding the IC3, I am not sure if FBI would follow up the case, I believe it depends on how many people have filed the case and what the total amount of it.

I just want I leave this guy name here, so in future people could do a search on the name to avoid the scammer. ( I was stupid to not search his name because I thought the ID was legit with a lot of posts and feedbacks)z

dummykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 04:01 PM   #35
gejay99
"TRF" Member

Scammed by mjclark32

It’s crazy how an account that’s been around for years with a ton of posts, engagement with the community still can’t be trusted.

Everyone who sees this, always buy the buyer not the watch. Ask for recent references, driver’s license photo with the watch and showing the serial number, a FaceTime or phone call. Face to face would be ideal as well but only at the police station and no where else. People can still grab and go.

It’s a harsh world we have and that’s why people would rather pay hundreds or thousands of dollars more to avoid situations like this...if us buyers are equipped to vet sellers the proper way and not get too excited with the price rather doing the due diligence will save us from too good to be true scenarios.

This scammer was definitely savvy and convincing. He knows watches and he may be the only person if not just a few who are responsible for always recycling that “log in here” scam.

Last edited by gejay99; 6 June 2020 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Profanity
gejay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 04:08 PM   #36
equinox308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gejay99 View Post
It’s crazy how an account that’s been around for years with a ton of posts, engagement with the community still can’t be trusted.

Everyone who sees this, always buy the buyer not the watch. Ask for recent references, driver’s license photo with the watch and showing the serial number, a FaceTime or phone call. Face to face would be ideal as well but only at the police station and no where else. People can still grab and go.

It’s a harsh world we have and that’s why people would rather pay hundreds or thousands of dollars more to avoid situations like this...if us buyers are equipped to vet sellers the proper way and not get too excited with the price rather doing the due diligence will save us from too good to be true scenarios.

This scammer was definitely savvy and convincing. He fucking knows watches and he may be the only person if not just a few who are responsible for always recycling that “log in here” scam.

I really wish those scumbags all burn in hell.

All good points, I also just looked into this further and apparently he scammed several members over at the Rennlist Porsche forum. Let’s get the word out to all avenues so others are aware and hopefully he will eventually slip and get fried for these deeds.
Old 6 June 2020, 04:20 PM   #37
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
It’s hard to believe low life like this are around on the site,Let this be a lesson to everyone
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 05:00 PM   #38
gejay99
"TRF" Member

I’m glad I’m not too active on Rennlist.

Old 6 June 2020, 05:04 PM   #39
Lol-x
Facilitator

All members MUST:

1. Be far more careful on clicking/responding to any links, emails, messages, and photographs.

2. Never store passwords (email, or other account) in the web-browser bookmarks.

3. Be far more careful when buying any watch and before sending money to someone they have never met and have no means to identify other than a 'username'.

Good deals are bad deals when money is sent that you will never see again and the goods do not exist and the seller is impersonating someone who can never be traced.

Just in the last week a buyer sent $50,000 for a watch.......its gone and will be extremely difficult to recover. These stories are music to the ears of scammers.

Scammers may express outrage at their bona fides or identities questioned, if that happens report it, as no seller has the right to act in that manner to a potential purchaser.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 06:59 PM   #40
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Scammed by scammed account of mjclark32

Good points Steve.

I have a quick thought - would it be a good idea to use 2-factor authentication for our boutique sellers and other long-time sellers?

This would cut the risk of phishing for a single password by scammers. It would also build a more secure environment for members to do deals. Sellers who accept 2-factor might get a star beside their username.

It would not work for a member whose account was compromised without 2-factor - for example a longtime non-seller member who suddenly became a seller after the scammer controlled the account. So 2-factor authentication should require approval via the registered email address on the TRF user’s profile. The odds are very low of a scammer gaining control over a TRF ID and a registered email account at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 05:54 AM   #41
dummykid
"TRF" Member

agree, maybe a 2-factor authentication login can reduce the chance to be hacked.
Old 7 June 2020, 09:01 AM   #42
gejay99
"TRF" Member

Scammed by scammed account of mjclark32

Yes I agree, as I have worked in tech for 15 years, 2-factor authentication is becoming a standard security measure for any sites that get a lot of intruders. It should actually be a requirement for every member once it’s been implemented.

We live in a digital age and offerings, platforms such as this community should highly invest in this upgrade to protect everyone.

I haven’t been here that long and I can tell you I get at least 1-2 scam emails from my listing here in addition to scam direct messages per week. I can I can only imagine other members who have been here longer and who are more active.

Old 7 June 2020, 09:29 AM   #43
walds11
"TRF" Member

mjclark32 is (or was) an active member, so why hasn’t he validated his account to be reinstated?
Old 7 June 2020, 09:42 AM   #44
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
mjclark32 is (or was) an active member, so why hasn’t he validated his account to be reinstated?
Possibly too embarrassed after his carelessness cost someone a couple of grand? Just a thought.
Old 7 June 2020, 04:03 PM   #45
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by gejay99 View Post
Yes I agree, as I have worked in tech for 15 years, 2-factor authentication is becoming a standard security measure for any sites that get a lot of intruders. It should actually be a requirement for every member once it’s been implemented.

We live in a digital age and offerings, platforms such as this community should highly invest in this upgrade to protect everyone.

I haven’t been here that long and I can tell you I get at least 1-2 scam emails from my listing here in addition to scam direct messages per week. I can I can only imagine other members who have been here longer and who are more active.
Unfortunately the scam emails and DMs come as soon as you can post in the classifieds, ie become a pledge member. Hiding the pledge membership might help? It can be a bit costly to implement 2-factor authentication, but it would be nice.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 04:21 PM   #46
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Wow, I’m just seeing this as I was just reinstated.
OP I’m so sorry this happened to you.
For everyone jumping to conclusions let me clear up what happened.
Two days ago a member emailed me saying he thought a listing I had was fraud, but he’d take the watch if it wasn’t. I immediately emailed he back from my email account telling him it was fraud and asked for the listing. As soon as I got the listing I reported it to the mods.
I have been a lot less active lately - just had another baby and have a 2.5 year old- so I didn’t immediately notice I was banned, but when I did try to login and see the ban I immediately emailed HL65 (ken) - he sent me Steve’s email. Steve sent me a PayPal verification - which I immediately did.
Steve called me at 1am est (about an hour ago now). I missed the call due to the time.
I woke up at 1:30am’ish due to baby and called him back. He and I spoke for about twenty minutes and he sent me a new pw link.
That’s the whole story.
I genuinely feel for the OP. That’s awful.
I’m still not exactly sure when the hacking took place, but I’ll be damn sure to pay a lot more attention to links going forward.
I have always tried to engage respectfully and do the right thing. I’ve been to many GTG’s, sold and bought a few watches, and have nothing to hide.
Old 7 June 2020, 04:24 PM   #47
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

I know some sellers say bank wire only but this is why I won’t do that. I’d rather wait or pay a little bit more to have some protection.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 04:26 PM   #48
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Wow, I’m just seeing this as I was just reinstated.
OP I’m so sorry this happened to you.
For everyone jumping to conclusions let me clear up what happened.
Two days ago a member emailed me saying he thought a listing I had was fraud, but he’d take the watch if it wasn’t. I immediately emailed he back from my email account telling him it was fraud and asked for the listing. As soon as I got the listing I reported it to the mods.
I have been a lot less active lately - just had another baby and have a 2.5 year old- so I didn’t immediately notice I was banned, but when I did try to login and see the ban I immediately emailed HL65 (ken) - he sent me Steve’s email. Steve sent me a PayPal verification - which I immediately did.
Steve called me at 1am est (about an hour ago now). I missed the call due to the time.
I woke up at 1:30am’ish due to baby and called him back. He and I spoke for about twenty minutes and he sent me a new pw link.
That’s the whole story.
I genuinely feel for the OP. That’s awful.
I’m still not exactly sure when the hacking took place, but I’ll be damn sure to pay a lot more attention to links going forward.
I have always tried to engage respectfully and do the right thing. I’ve been to many GTG’s, sold and bought a few watches, and have nothing to hide.

Glad you get the account back.

Old 7 June 2020, 04:30 PM   #49
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Maybe the mods can change the title now that we know for sure it was a hacked account.

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 04:32 PM   #50
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Maybe the mods can change the title now that we know for sure it was a hacked account.

I can’t change the title because I can’t edit the original post anymore, maybe MOD can change it, we should make sure we leave this scammer name here, so when people search the name, it would know the story.

Old 7 June 2020, 11:53 PM   #51
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Sorry to hear Op. Too bad you didn’t insist on using a CC to pay! I hope someone will be saved a huge lose by always using CC no matter who the seller is - simple!
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 12:04 AM   #52
Pim
Banned

I'm absolutely shocked how often an account is hacked on this forum. Maybe time for some 2FA in here..
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 12:34 AM   #53
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Always be wary of alphanumeric handles.

Yes. I’m being prejudice.

What an alphanumeric handle?

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 12:39 AM   #54
cop414

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
What an alphanumeric handle?

AB123 type of screen name.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 12:49 AM   #55
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
AB123 type of screen name.

Ah Thku. Is that some to be wary of, as Chewbacca notes above?

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 04:57 AM   #56
fearjah
"TRF" Member

Rolex oyster perpetual

Please tell me I just wired you money for the oyster
perpetual you had for sale and that this wasnt a scam
fearjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 04:59 AM   #57
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearjah View Post
Please tell me I just wired you money for the oyster
perpetual you had for sale and that this wasnt a scam
I think you ARE scammed if you are talking about the OP 39mm post a few day ago by hacked mjclark32 account and priced at 4500ish.

Tell the bank to stop the wiring!!!!!
Old 9 June 2020, 09:31 AM   #58
cop414

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Ah Thku. Is that some to be wary of, as Chewbacca notes above?

It is one scenario that draws suspicion.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 09:55 AM   #59
5.39×10^−44 s
"TRF" Member

Watch: F.P.Journe Ca.1519
Is there any way to find out why a user has been banned? I tried messaging through the "Contact" feature to ask about another user (RRM1020). I have been discussing getting a Batgirl through him but got sketched out when I noticed his account was banned after he made the post.
5.39×10^−44 s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 01:09 PM   #60
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.39×10^−44 s View Post
Is there any way to find out why a user has been banned? I tried messaging through the "Contact" feature to ask about another user (RRM1020). I have been discussing getting a Batgirl through him but got sketched out when I noticed his account was banned after he made the post.
That user account was hacked/phished so you were most probably talking to a scammer.