The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 December 2012, 01:13 PM   #91
fminus
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseire View Post
I was in the same shoes just recently. Diver or Deepsea. I am a huge AP fan.

My opinion, AP Diver, too small, prone to dings and dents.

DSSD - sturdy and tough but strap too thin. Cheaper then Diver

After much though I took the DSSD as I changed it to a Rubber B strap, that made the difference and still almost S$4000+ cheaper then the Diver.

The Rubber B gave the watch a whole new look, unfortunately afte 1 day of wear, it was taken from me by my Dad. He now wears it daily, sigh...
any pics of the watch w the rubber strap?
fminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2012, 01:15 PM   #92
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Don't get me wrong,
I love Rolex, I used to own the deep sea and got sick of it very fast bc it was just way to thick. Very top heavy

The diver is not as much as a tool watch as the deep sea, but Ap is superior to Rolex in terms of finish.. Which is why AP charges what they do for their watches. As with Rolex they are massed produced..

I still love Rolex and own a few.. It just depends on what you expect to do in the watch.. If you want a tank and a watch that is rated deeper than you will ever go, then deep sea.

If you want a watch that you can dive in but also have that next level of watch engineering on your wrist, then go with ap
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2012, 01:31 PM   #93
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
As with Rolex they are massed produced...
I'm not sure the two are at the same level.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2012, 01:55 PM   #94
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Pick one. Porsche or lambo .
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2012, 02:26 PM   #95
seattle1978
"TRF" Member

Watch: APs
one of my favorite threads
keep it going
DSSD is my favorite Rolex
Diver - one of my favorite APs

both are awesome watches
seattle1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2012, 04:04 PM   #96
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Also wanna see dssd on rubber!!!
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2012, 05:01 PM   #97
orangedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP, Rolex
I love Diver more. It gave me that adrenaline rush every time I put it on. It is also more "chiseled", and more pleasurable to be peeped at this way. DSSD is just little too... beefy
orangedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2012, 07:04 PM   #98
JizJizJiz
"TRF" Member

Both are great watches, but on my small 6.5" wrist, only the Diver sits well. The DSSD is a bit too tall and wobbly. Of course, it needs the height for that depth rating :). But on a pure comfort level, only the AP works.

Sent from Tapatalk

-Zack Ji
2FA on TRF enabled
JizJizJiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2012, 03:51 AM   #99
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD DJII PAM 005
Dssd!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dssd113012.jpg (90.3 KB, 684 views)
Rolex74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2012, 12:07 AM   #100
theseire
"TRF" Member

hi guys, the DSSD is now permanently on my dad's wrist! you can check out the pics on the web, just search for RubberB straps for the deepsea.
theseire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2013, 01:19 PM   #101
DS_Obsessed
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 V
For reference taking out the extension link on the DS will correct any feelings of ill fit. If I didn't have a ROO, I'd probably say the diver. But I do, so DS as my daily. First watch I truly feel in love with and haven't stopped since I got it.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”
DS_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2013, 01:53 PM   #102
nishant
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC NS Chrono GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I honestly felt the same way the first time I tried on a DS when they first came out. It bothered me so much I actually passed on buying it. Then, after a few weeks of thinking about it I decided to buy anyway. I went on to wear the DSSD everyday for a little over 2 years. And I'll happily admit not only did I learn to appreciate the tapered bracelet, it actually became one of the things I absolutely fell in love with about the watch.

The logic of the design stood out after spending some time with it. It definitely helped to cut down on the overall mass of the watch and helped to provide a more appropriate sized clasp IMO. The disproportionate look stands out more in pictures and when handling the watch off the wrist; but once it goes on your wrist the difference does not look as severe.

As a comparison, as I look at my new POC 9300 without any taper I think the bracelet is a tad too wide around the clasp...almost to the point I think it cheapens the overall look of the bracelet because it's so bulky.
Very well said ... Agree completely
nishant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2013, 03:44 AM   #103
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by fminus View Post
Have you tried one one? I used to feel the same way about the Royal Oaks and even Panerais! Now I own 2 of each :P
Absolutely, I have friends that are huge fans, I'm just not one of them. Like the Daytona, I continue to go back every so often to try the AP on seeing if my tastes have changed. And like the Daytona, it just doesn't sing to me. As we all know, a lot of these feelings are tough to sum up, it just doesn't do it for me.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the design just seems too much all over the place...I just don't understand the waffle dial, stop sign-like bezel & plain-jane hands...and the metal bracelets are way too funky for my tastes. I definitely think they look better on rubber, but I'm not a rubber band kind of guy...so in the end I just can't wrap my head around the AP.

For those that love them, great, enjoy...they are just not for me.

The DSSD on the other hand is next to perfect for my tastes...I absolutely loved my DS. The only reason I got rid of mine was the fact my Sub-C does everything the DS did on a daily basis & my new POC9300 fills my 'big watch' need when I want to change things up. The bezel, domed crystal & Glidelock on the DSSD are a thing of absolute beauty IMO.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2013, 05:34 AM   #104
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUpanerai View Post
AP Diver by a mile... I personally really dont like the Deep Sea. The proportions on the case are pretty horrible and completely destroy the lines and case size of the Submariner which got it to perfection. The Deep Sea, IMHO is one of Rolex's biggest mistakes in terms of design.
The bracelet/case looks more like a tootsie pop, to me, than a watch. The fact that it's so tall just pushes it too far for me.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2013, 09:40 AM   #105
Dennis2005

Watch: 116710
Quote:
I realize this is probably not going to make a lot of friends, but I just don't get the AP appeal (from an aesthetics standpoint). I've tried to warm up to their look over the years, but it just doesn't do it for me.

The funky stop-sign, non-functioning bezel cases (w/ garish screws), dials that always seem too cluttered w/ their checker board layouts & hands that always seem way too plain & boring all add up to a watch that just doesn't look good to me.

No disputing their movement & build quality, but I've got to like what I'm looking at when I put a watch on my wrist and the AP's just don't do it for me. I've said it before, but to me the AP looks like something a 12 year old with above average drawing skills would design in the mid 80's.

For that reason alone, I would take the DSSD all day long. Good luck!
X2
I feel the same about the AP.
Dennis2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2013, 10:16 AM   #106
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
[QUOTE=Dennis2005;3834044]X2

Totally understand, it's about taste. We can not arguing about taste, nobody wins. Same as Patek , RM it's not for everybody watches, they have their own fans.
If everybody has the same taste, then we all gonna wear the same watches. And it's gonna be so boring.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2013, 11:52 AM   #107
emagni
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
[QUOTE=h999r;3834112]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis2005 View Post
X2

Totally understand, it's about taste. We can not arguing about taste, nobody wins. Same as Patek , RM it's not for everybody watches, they have their own fans.
If everybody has the same taste, then we all gonna wear the same watches. And it's gonna be so boring.
x2
Old 2 January 2013, 02:07 PM   #108
oworkman
"TRF" Member

I have owned both and still own the AP Diver amongst others.

I am contemplating purchasing another SDDS due the durability and overall toughness of the thing. Both are awesome, the AP gets the vote for exclusivity hands down the Sea Dweller is the best Rolex I have owned by a mile, pity they don't make it in 18K!

Nelson Mandela
oworkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2013, 04:34 PM   #109
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
The Deepsea sits far to high on the wrist so I would go for a Diver, then again if you want the best diving watch which is cheaper than both buy a preowned Rolex SeaDweller - fantastic watch!
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2013, 08:37 PM   #110
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
DSSD - the one and only
vette boy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2013, 08:37 PM   #111
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
I am in the 'dont get AP' section but people buy what they buy.I would buy a Rolex over AP,PP etc,we are all different !
Old 2 January 2013, 09:26 PM   #112
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGHOST1 View Post
I am in the 'dont get AP' section but people buy what they buy.I would buy a Rolex over AP,PP etc,we are all different !
Why in the "Don't get AP" section? Any particular reason?
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2013, 10:34 PM   #113
ticketmaster123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGHOST1 View Post
I was in this camp a year ago...mainly because...

1) I hadn't really heard of them.
2) I had never researched the watches or brand.
3) I had never actually seen one in real life - let alone try one on.

One year on and my Submariner is tucked away in its box and the AP Diver has replaced it on my wrist!
ticketmaster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2013, 11:22 AM   #114
psv
"TRF" Member

It is an entertaining thread, but obviously there is no right answer or rationale here, it all comes down to personal preferences. It all depends on how you think and prioritize, like those old interview teaser I got many years ago at the beginning of the career, e.g. "How many payphones are there in Manhattan?" Some people think from the inside out, other from outside in. Just different approaches.

As I've explained before on this site, for me, function and practicality takes president over form when it comes to wrist watches.

I've owned both the ROO Diver and the DSSD. Needless to say, the Diver comes from a more distinguished manufacture, one the in famous Big 3 even, and as such it has a much more intricate and interesting finishing and details. It is a great feeling to know that inside the case beats a beautiful Calibre 3120, a true AP in-house movement with 40 jewels (45 actually, but 5 of them don't count because they are under the date function) and even a sculpted rotor in 22K gold. You can go on and add one superlative after another about AP's watches, I think most people around here understand the horologic pecking order and that the ROO Diver is by most standards a "finer" watch. On the movement side I do have some concerns about the accuracy of the 3120 as it beats at 3Hz which tends to be harder to regulate and there are plenty of testimony about Divers not being terribly accurate)

But what about practical use? I found that the large flat back of the Diver didn't sit very comfortably on my wrist. Strike one. The amazingly hand-finished bezel and case, with a mix of polished and brushed surfaces, is rather sensitive and will show wear rather quickly if you have an active lifestyle. Strike two. Even if it technically reaches the ISO standards for a diving instrument I found the bezel to be more of a gimmick as it is cumbersome to operate on land and cannot be reset under water + the lume isn't very strong and won't last through half a night. Strike three.

This doesn't been I don't adore the Genta-based design or have the utmost respect for the importance of the brand, design, craftsmanship and dare I say marketing-genius behind AP, but for me it simply isn't a very practical watch. It was one I had to take off my wrist when I was at the playground with the kids or even when I dived or snorkeled e.g. along a rocky shore. It did however look good on the wrist at a nice restaurant for Saturday brunch with friends.

That leaves the DSSD. Over-engineered to a fault. It is solid and exudes excellence like few other Rolex watches. Sure, it is top-heavy, too thick, has a depth-rating that is beyond meaningful and has way too much text on the dial. It is not a perfectly conceived watch in my book.

To sum it up, I view the ROO Diver as some handcrafted luxury sports car. I fully understand that it is a "finer" car and much more prestigious, but at the end of the day I live an active life with 4 kids, shuttling between soccer and basketball games, skiing in the mountains, occasional towing, throwing on 6 bikes and heading to the Atlantic coast etc, so for my lifestyle a Land Cruiser (read DSSD) is simply a more practical choice. Now if we were talking about the new ROO Diver in carbon - that is another story... ;-)

Just the way my brain works...

Some borrowed photos:

psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2013, 12:08 PM   #115
cdnyc
"TRF" Member

enjoyed that posted Patrick.
cdnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2013, 05:35 PM   #116
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
On the movement side I do have some concerns about the accuracy of the 3120 as it beats at 3Hz which tends to be harder to regulate and there are plenty of testimony about Divers not being terribly accurate)

But what about practical use? I found that the large flat back of the Diver didn't sit very comfortably on my wrist. Strike one. The amazingly hand-finished bezel and case, with a mix of polished and brushed surfaces, is rather sensitive and will show wear rather quickly if you have an active lifestyle. Strike two. Even if it technically reaches the ISO standards for a diving instrument I found the bezel to be more of a gimmick as it is cumbersome to operate on land and cannot be reset under water + the lume isn't very strong and won't last through half a night. Strike three.

...but for me it simply isn't a very practical watch. It was one I had to take off my wrist when I was at the playground with the kids or even when I dived or snorkeled e.g. along a rocky shore. It did however look good on the wrist at a nice restaurant for Saturday brunch with friends.
LOL. How anyone could read this review of the AP and still think, "Awesome, that's the watch for me!" is beyond me. When playgrounds start posing a threat to the well being of a "sport watch" I've just got to draw the line!

Entertaining post and unfortunately for the AP, I've got to say I pretty much agree w/ everything you said.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2013, 07:44 PM   #117
ticketmaster123
Banned

Quote:
LOL. How anyone could read this review of the AP and still think, "Awesome, that's the watch for me!" is beyond me. When playgrounds start posing a threat to the well being of a "sport watch" I've just got to draw the line!
I have worn my AP Diver as a daily for 2 months and my Sub hasn't been out once since.
ticketmaster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2013, 03:53 AM   #118
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Entertaining post and unfortunately for the AP, I've got to say I pretty much agree w/ everything you said.
Well, it is all about personal preferences and circumstances. If you don't mind banging up a hand-finished $18K diver then what was said above doesn't matter, or if you don't live a very active lifestyle, or surrounded by the unpredictability of young children etc, then it is all fine. The AP Diver is a very distinct looking watch and superlative from many aspect. Just didn't work for me.

Funny enough, I've put plenty of dents, dings and scratches on many Rolex sport watches, inlcuding the DSSD, and it just doesn't bother me at all.
Old 7 January 2013, 04:39 AM   #119
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Funny enough, I've put plenty of dents, dings and scratches on many Rolex sport watches, inlcuding the DSSD, and it just doesn't bother me at all.
At half the cost, I'd probably feel the same way.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2013, 04:46 AM   #120
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
At half the cost, I'd probably feel the same way.
Well, it is not only the cost, one has a pedigree of a tool watch/instrument and the other is more a pure luxury article.

Regardless how much money you have, I don't think any reasonable person would bang up a watch on purpose. If was I running a Touch Mudder I'd put on my G-Shock, not a DSSD or ROO Diver.