The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 December 2023, 04:49 AM   #31
cal14
"TRF" Member

If folks are liquidating their FPJ collections, I'd imagine they will be more inclined to speak after they sell everything. It seems like nothing definitive or specific has been shared yet. So far, more hearsay and speculation.
cal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 04:55 AM   #32
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I have dinner with FP for dinner 3 times over the past 2 years. He is not so comfortable conversing in English but I don't find him rude in any way. I can't imagine people leaving halfway during a dinner with him based on my own experience. After all, he is selling his watches to us collectors.
Same. I was surprised he let me see his personal watch and use the chime function. He could have been like, qui es-tu? He didn’t talk to us really he had guys with him who translated. Of course that was back in the day when you could walk into an AD and buy one out of the case.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 06:37 AM   #33
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I have never met FPJ but I don't suspect we would hit it off him being a wealthy senior citizen Frenchie and me a 30 something middle class American who can't speak any other languages. Putting a bunch of watch collectors in various social settings with FPJ seems like a foolish endeavor because for him it is work and for them it is disguised as play.

I do not expect artists to have social skills. They almost unanimously don't if they are any good. Eccentric genius who over indulges on his rise to prominence could very well describe a litany of the best artists in history.

His brand is literally called "he invented it and made it" anyone who had any illusions that he was Max Busser is a fool. He is more in the vein of Elon than Zuck, more Jobs than Cook. He was described as a rebellious child and was expelled from watchmaking school despite being one of the best watchmakers in his class. This is who FPJ is. This isn't some out of the blue character change.
Old 7 December 2023, 07:57 AM   #34
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
FPJ was rude and condescending to Tim Mosso during their sit down. Quite an arrogant SOB. I have read enough about him to not want to give FP Journe a dime. I’m certainly not a snowflake or victim mentality looking to be offended. I just don’t reward a-holes with my money. Wish more people would do the same.
Interesting. I had not heard anything about the Mosso interview. Will check it out. Wasn't it his firm that was a huge promotor of the brand on the secondary market?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 08:08 AM   #35
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Albert at European Watch was a big supporter early on. As for whatever might or might not have happened during a conversation no one has any clue word for word what it was, or the inflections and situation when it was supposedly made....

Here's what I heard....

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw FPJ enjoying a drink with friends. I think it's kinda serious. :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 08:53 AM   #36
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Albert at European Watch was a big supporter early on. As for whatever might or might not have happened during a conversation no one has any clue word for word what it was, or the inflections and situation when it was supposedly made....

Here's what I heard....

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw FPJ enjoying a drink with friends. I think it's kinda serious. :)
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 09:17 AM   #37
codecow
"TRF" Member

more Jobs than Cook…

He’s more like Wozniak.

I found him fine.

A sweet guy who is a horological stud is Kari V. Extremely well mannered and pleasant. Of course I also met him before he had ridiculous wait lists and such. I probably should have bought a watch from him then and there but I wasn’t on the train yet.
Old 7 December 2023, 09:29 AM   #38
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I have never met FPJ but I don't suspect we would hit it off him being a wealthy senior citizen Frenchie and me a 30 something middle class American who can't speak any other languages. Putting a bunch of watch collectors in various social settings with FPJ seems like a foolish endeavor because for him it is work and for them it is disguised as play.

I do not expect artists to have social skills. They almost unanimously don't if they are any good. Eccentric genius who over indulges on his rise to prominence could very well describe a litany of the best artists in history.

His brand is literally called "he invented it and made it" anyone who had any illusions that he was Max Busser is a fool. He is more in the vein of Elon than Zuck, more Jobs than Cook. He was described as a rebellious child and was expelled from watchmaking school despite being one of the best watchmakers in his class. This is who FPJ is. This isn't some out of the blue character change.
Exactly, I have read several books on him and the guy is a rebel.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 10:35 AM   #39
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
He’s more like Wozniak.
^^^ this.

He has, and continues to do, some seriously cool stuff imho.

You could 'report' the YouTube channel and move on.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 7 December 2023, 11:38 AM   #40
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
This is the problem with the interwebs. The rumor mill has never been bigger.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 12:13 PM   #41
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Brilliantly put

Maybe he was asked what was business idea behind getting at that moment mediocre sport star status of brand ambassador and he replied because she is fine piece of p**... then half of collectors sold their watches and the other half recognized that as Classic Journe...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 01:58 PM   #42
codecow
"TRF" Member

I find the whole thing a bit hard to believe; but if the rumor I read is true then maybe I kind of get it. I can’t see collectors at this point in time cashing out on FPJ. It’s not an accident the guy became a huge success he’s very talented.
Old 7 December 2023, 06:36 PM   #43
corky
"TRF" Member

Few cliches spring to mind….

Never meet your heroes
Tall Poppy syndrome
Familiarity breeds contempt
corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 09:21 PM   #44
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

One can be himself without being offensive. If the person still chooses to not mind his manners in certain occasions, then yeah not getting a dime from me. Not that he needs it anyway it seems but still.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 12:19 AM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Wonder if any of this will improve availability of the watches at retail? What is it currently, a list of 10K people or more, seeking an allocation out of a few hundred pieces sold in the US annually. The brand is obviously doing a lot of things very well.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 07:30 AM   #46
windingmybusiness
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Interesting. I had not heard anything about the Mosso interview. Will check it out. Wasn't it his firm that was a huge promotor of the brand on the secondary market?

When he worked for Watchbox and they had vested interest in the brands success. The Govberg family has since offloaded much of their Journe collection.
windingmybusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 10:17 AM   #47
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windingmybusiness View Post
When he worked for Watchbox and they had vested interest in the brands success. The Govberg family has since offloaded much of their Journe collection.
they did govberg dirty
dchang81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 10:30 AM   #48
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
they did govberg dirty
How so?
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 01:43 PM   #49
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

I mean govberg had a big hand it pumping up their brand. They built out a really nice boutique just for journe then got dumped right after.
dchang81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 03:06 PM   #50
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:

I would have never guessed given the WatchBox for sale section for journe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 03:11 PM   #51
F131F
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 14060A
Quote:
Are you saying that Tim is not with WatchBox anymore?

https://www.thewatchbox.com/blog/aut...watchbox-43720
F131F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 03:15 PM   #52
F131F
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 14060A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
I would have never guessed given the WatchBox for sale section for journe
Very true. They are showing 53 watches for sale.
F131F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 06:27 PM   #53
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
I mean govberg had a big hand it pumping up their brand. They built out a really nice boutique just for journe then got dumped right after.
Tell us more.

I don’t get this brand. No offense to anyone on here, but the collectors (and FPJ himself) seem like a bunch of entitled, cult-like, circle j*rker followers of the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F131F View Post
Are you saying that Tim is not with WatchBox anymore?

https://www.thewatchbox.com/blog/aut...watchbox-43720
I think he’s wrong about that.
Old 8 December 2023, 07:21 PM   #54
shafran
"TRF" Member

Watchbox is still heavy into Journe, they just don't promote it as their number 1 brand anymore. That is now DeBethune.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 08:10 PM   #55
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Tell us more.

I don’t get this brand. No offense to anyone on here, but the collectors (and FPJ himself) seem like a bunch of entitled, cult-like, circle j*rker followers of the brand.

What I dont get is that in a time where hand finishing is top of mind for many independents collectors, Journe is still a hot commodity.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 09:05 PM   #56
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
Watchbox is still heavy into Journe, they just don't promote it as their number 1 brand anymore. That is now DeBethune.
Well it’s literally a watchbox brand now lol
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 01:30 AM   #57
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
What I dont get is that in a time where hand finishing is top of mind for many independents collectors, Journe is still a hot commodity.
Well, to be fair some still believe in the 1960's 'Holy Trinity' marketing scheme. No one voted for it 60 years ago as best I have investigated, no one has any idea of the actual parameters, etc as I asked around to some old-timers. Do you know? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

To answer your question, perhaps herd mentality. Some still think PP is the very best (roflol). But yeah, to be fair they both release occasional fun high-complication pieces to flex. We also have to realize, for public influence, Marketing schemes work well, reinforced by auction results (and we know timepiece manufacturers do bid, or have third-parties do it for them).

Old 9 December 2023, 02:21 AM   #58
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Anyone know more to this F.P.Journe story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Tell us more.

You don't like the Nightmare-before-Lange Burton designs?
Old 9 December 2023, 09:08 AM   #59
codecow
"TRF" Member

Nico’s latest video is saying more nothing.
Old 9 December 2023, 09:41 AM   #60
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ just click Report on the YouTube video.